8: Escape

Moon in My Eye

Warning: Violence

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start my training my , I thought viciously, still shaken from the encounter. As soon as him and his goons were gone I went to where I stashed my other shard. I ripped the sheet that I used to sleep with and wrapped the torn piece around the shard to create a handle. I looked at my reflection for a moment and my eyes burned with determination.

The only other problem I faced was the damn chain and collar. Something was off about the collar. Every time I touched it, it was as if my hands were being burned. Since it didn’t restrain me in any way, I decided to focus on the chain. I already knew there was nothing in the room to pick the locks and I felt despair gripping me when . . .

Pull at it. My wolf sluggishly said.

Pull at what?

The chain, you idiot. Pull at it.

That’s useless—I don’t have any strength.

Just do it!

I gripped the chain, bracing my back against the wall and my feet against the heavy wood of the bed frame. This is crazy, I thought. I was listening to my wolf. Crazy.

I took one breath and then began pulling with everything I had. I bit back the scream of pain as I felt my body cry out and felt my wounds open. After a few moments, I realized the inevitable—it wasn’t working.

Keep going, you weakling!

I don’t have the strength!

Yes, you do. Strength is not just force—it can be patience. Now keep pulling!

I got a better grip on the chain and pulled, never once letting up. After several hours, and with me ready to give up and flip my wolf the bird, a miracle happened. I scooted back a little as the chain gave just a little. I froze in shock. I moved forward and saw that the welding around one chain had opened just a centimeter.

Patience can do wonders. My wolf said weakly but in a smug way.

The thrill of it ran through my body and I quickly braced myself again. A wicked grin slid its way on my face. “Patience can do wonders,” I repeated.

 

The chain broke with a loud clang. ! I quickly grabbed the glass shiv and hid behind the door. It opened quickly and without any sort of warning I cut one of their throats and then attacked the other. He didn’t have enough time to react as eh fell back and I plunged the shard into his chest. For a moment, I lost control. I kept stabbing him, even after he died.

When it finally dawned on me that he was dead, I got up, shaking. Control, I needed to control myself. I yanked the shard out of his chest and focused.

Sehun. I needed to find Sehun. I cleared out everything in my head and focused solely on the scents all around me. My eyes slammed open as I caught a hold of Sehun’s scent. Cautiously, but quickly I went down a maze of hallways. I paused around every corner and checked to make sure there were no others. After a while I grew confused. There was no one, no one at all. Where were they? Not that I was complaining, but it was odd.

I finally came to some steps that led down. It was dark, but with my heightened senses, I could see well enough. I went down cautiously and once again, found no guards or anything. Looking around I realized I was in some sort of dungeon.

“Hyorim?” cracked a voice.

I whirled and my eyes could barely make out a form not far from me.

“Sehun!” I cried and immediately went to him. I grabbed his face and his hissed in pain. I quickly let go and fought back the tears. “What did they do to you?”

“I hurt . . .” he whimpered.

My heart broke and I desperately tried to find a way to set him free from the chains holding him.

“Hyorim, someone else is here.”

I froze, but I neither saw no smelled anyone. I went back to pulling at the chains—but my heart was falling as these were thicker, stronger. “What do you mean?”

“Some of them ran down here, saying they were under attack.”

Territory wars? Another Feral pack? I didn’t dare voice what we knew we both hopped—that it was Suho coming to save the day. I snarled and threw the chains away from me. I couldn’t break them, not even with patience.

“How did you—no, I don’t care. Escape, leave me behind, Hyorim.”

I ignored his ridiculous command.

And then I saw something glint in the moonlight and my breath caught. Was fate finally on our side? I crawled forward, feeling with my hands, when I felt metal touch my hand. I cried out in joy as I felt the keys in my hand. I raced back to Sehun.

“We’re getting out of here, Sehun.” I said excitedly. I unlocked the chains around his wrists and feet. “Come on, we need to get out of here.” But he didn’t move. “Sehun?”

“I . . . I can’t stand.”

Oh God. “Why?”

“They . . . shattered my knees.”

Oh! The anger that flew through me. It even shook my wolf out of her stupor for a minute. “Those sons of es! I’ll gut them all!” I squatted in front of him, presenting my back. “Wrap your arms around my throat—I’ll carry you.”

Sehun crawled to me and I helped him prop himself so he could do what I said. I stood and my body screamed and Sehun whimpered in pain. I out for a moment, but quickly fought back the faint. I had to get Sehun out of here.

I reached the top of the steps and I was already out of breath. But I refused to give up. I staggered down the hallways, backtracking to my room. I was starting to hear things, snarls and yelps. I needed to avoid whatever the hell was going on but I had a feeling going towards the noise was the only way to escape. A door slammed open and it echoed down the hallways.

.

I staggered to a slight alcove in the wall and gently placed Sehun down. I took out my shiv and hid behind the protrusion. I was still fighting back a faint and—I glanced at Sehun and froze. Now in the light, I could see what they had done to him. His entire face was swollen, almost unrecognizable. There were cuts, varying in depth and size, all over his mostly exposed body, with dried blood coating his body. His knees bent an unnatural angles. And he was passed out from the pain. I wanted to throw up, but the rage was worse. They were going to pay.

I gripped the shiv tighter as I heard someone coming—not footsteps, but the thud-thud of a four legged animal. I had to be quick and precise or we were both dead. When they were close enough I lunged. But he was quicker than I thought he would be. I missed the fatal mark I had been going for and instead sliced across his face and snout.  He cried out in pain and back tracked. I didn’t give him time to recover and jumped on him. But I didn’t have the strength in my limbs to keep a hold of him and he easily shook me off.

The wolf glared at me and snarled. I readied myself for the next attack when the wolf hesitated looking at me. From his angle, he could see Sehun. Terrified he was going to attack Sehun, I quickly dropped back and stood protectively in front of him. The wolf just watched us, making no move to attack us.

I could feel the warmth of the blood dripping down my body from the wounds I had reopened when I had been escaping. And I was losing a lot. It was making me weaker by the moment and blackness was starting to encroach on my vision. Before I completely passed out, I saw two other wolves, covered in blood, join the first.

“Touch him, and I kill you . . .” I whispered.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guess who shows up next update!?!?