You startle me

the Shop around the Corner

 

And so it is just another Saturday, as Paris strolls along the Han River to work, little suspecting that this is the day, which will change her life forever.

Paris walks into the store finding Lilly stands behind the cashier waiting for her enthusiastically.

“He said he’s coming back today right?” Lilly beams excitedly.

“I told you, it’s none my business. I am not interested.”

“Then why are you wearing your favorite dress?” Lilly points at Paris’s bright yellow, above the knees summer dress.

“I feel like it.” Paris shrugs her shoulders.

“Whatever! I am not letting this go easily.” Lilly crosses her arms in front of her chest tapping her foot lightly on the wooden floors.

“Can you go to Mr. Yunho and get me some daisies?” Paris asks her best friend, changing the topic.

“I’ll buy some coffee too.” Lilly grabs her purse and bolts out the door.

Paris walks to the cashier, sets her bags down and dazes herself into her favorite book Pride and Prejudice. A few seconds later, Paris looks up. At that moment the entire window is suddenly taken up by the huge side of a bus, obscuring the light and entirely covered with a portrait of Donghae from his newest commercial.

Paris smiles unknowingly then continues on her book.

‘Ding dong’ The bell makes a clear crystal sound. A man walks in.

Paris looks up casually and freezes. After a pause, Paris stutters.

“Can I help you?”

It is Lee Donghae, the most wanted man in Korea – here – in her little bookstore. The most divine, subtle and handsome man on earth. When he speaks he is very self-assured and self-contained.

“I came by your shop yesterday and bought a book about Paris, remember?” Donghae flashes his most charming smile taking off his cap and sunglasses.

Donghae wears a grey tank top with a black sailor-style jacket. He carries a Louis Vuitton monogram canvas tote bag on his left hand, a Gucci sunglasses and a denim cap on the other hand.

“You don’t like the book? I must agree that book’s really not good. I’m sorry for not warning you beforehand.” Paris picks another book from a shelf nearby. “I think the man who wrote this book has actually been to Paris, which helps.”

Donghae smiles slightly and comes closer to Paris.

“I would like to buy the book you are reading.”

“Oh, you mean this one?” Paris picks up Pride and Prejudice.

“I believe so.” Donghae takes another step closer to Paris. ”And would you mind sign it and write your numbers?”

“Actually, I would mind.” Paris stutters trying to sound professional.

“Aren’t you my fan?” Donghae confusingly asks.

Paris shakes her head lightly not forgetting her smile.

“Then why are you so nervous when you see me?” Donghae knits his brows.

“Because you startle me.”

“I startle you?” Donghae smiles. “Interesting. I will take it as a compliment.”

“Don’t you have something else better to do like compose music or attend a variety show?” Paris asks tilting her head lightly to the right.

“Oh my words! Are you who I think you are?” Lilly stomps inside the shop holding a bunch of daisies and two cup of Starbuck.

“I guess so.” Donghae chuckles and turns his head around to take a glance at Lilly.

“Lilly, your customer.” Paris looks at Lilly and points her finger at Donghae.

“Obviously he is only interested in you, Paris.” Lilly winks.

“Hello Lilly! It’s a pleasure to meet you.” Donghae greets Lilly then turns his attention back to Paris. “So your name is Paris? Isn’t it ironic how I bought Guide to Paris yesterday?” Donghae smiles. “We can name our son Brooklyn and our daughter Venice.”

Lilly and Paris widens their eyes. 10 seconds seems like a century.

“Paris, you know what? Why don’t you take a day off and take Donghae to your favorite café?” Lilly suddenly speaks up pushing the couples out.

“Yah! I’m your boss.” Paris shrieks.

“Donghae, you are my new best friend, please take care of Paris.” Lilly waves goodbyes to Donghae ignoring Paris.

“You got me!” Donghae gives Lilly a hi-5, then he grabs Paris’s hands and turns around the corner.