Guide to Paris

the Shop around the Corner

 

Lee Donghae, the great singer of our time - the perfect man of all the girls’ dream – an ideal – Lilly’s prince charming, his life is full of glamorous, sophistication and mystery.

Paris’s heard him sing, seen him on stage a few time and She’s always thought that he was, well, incredibly breathtaking. But you know, they live in two totally different worlds and Paris, who is an extremely realistic person, has no fancy wishes to have their worlds collide anyway.

Yoon Paris is in her early twenties, charming, intelligent but has no talents in the affairs of the heart, more specifically, love.

Walking along Brocoli Street on a sunny Friday morning, Paris decides to stop and buys some flowers at Mr. Yunho’s flower shopLavender.

Mr. Yunho is in his late fifties. His hair is completely grey, he’s a little hunched over from years of gravity on pushing down on his spine. Mr. Yunho is wearing a plaid shirt, khaki pants pulled all the way up to his waist and the glasses on the tip of his nose. The moment he sees Paris, a bright and welcoming smile appears on his wrinkle face.

“Good morning Paris! What can I do for my beautiful lady?” Mr. Yunho greets.

“Good morning Uncle Yunho! Can I have some nice and fresh flowers for my shop today?”

“Anything specific?” Mr. Yunho asks.

“My favorite, of course, daisy.”

“What’s with you and daisy? I’ve never had a customer with such passion for daisy like you.” Mr. Yunho smiles, shaking his head lightly.

“But daisies are so friendly. Don’t you think they are the friendliest?”

Mr. Yunho hands Paris a bunch of daisies wrap in paper “silly girl, you need to hurry otherwise you gonna be late for work.”

“Goodbye Uncle, I’ll see you tomorrow!” Paris waves at Mr. Yunho and quickly runs off.

Paris comes around the corner onto Lettuce Avenue and stops in front of her bookstore called “The Shop around the Corner.” It is an irresistibly inviting store. There are twinkle lights in the windows, framing large stuffed animals reading books: Wuthering heights, 1001 Arabian Nights, Harry Potter. Waiting for Paris in front is her flat-mate, best friend and also employee, Lilly.

“Gosh, I was wondering where you are, Lilly. I couldn’t find you anywhere at home this morning.” Paris smiles

“I couldn’t sleep last night so I woke up early. I’m having my writer’s block right now. I don’t know what to do with Katherine. Should I just kill her?” Lilly speaks lightly.

Lilly had graduated from college with a major in writing. She dreams big. As you can see, Lilly is working on her masterpiece right now. Katherine is one of the main characters whose groom just runs away. At the first impression, almost everybody would think of Lilly as a freak who lives in her own fantasy world and has no ideas how to use any handheld portable devices, which includes blackberry, itouch, or ipad.

Even though they are best friend but they have nothing in common except for their love in literature and the Bronte sisters.

There is just something so unreal and eerie about Paris. Her face, somewhat luminous, has a pale tone to it. Her hair was the colour of raven's wings and cascaded like a waterfall down her back, reaching almost to her waist.The eyes were a piercingly sharp shade of gray. Eyebrows were arched over the curve before dispersing onto the bridge of her dainty nose. Plump, the lips had the strangest curl to them. Her enchanting face is framed wavy, ebony-colored curl, each falling to her hips. Her beauty was both unnatural and breathtaking – a nightmare in motion, yet poetry personified – and none could tear their eyes away from her. From the first moment, they were ensnared.

Lilly, on the other hand, is tall, and very slender. Her hair dangled in front of her pale, hollow face and her blue eyes pierced like the deep ocean. Her lips spoke in a calm manner, but her eyes spoke nothing. She was blank as a statue yet her mysterious beautiful face quenched for help. She was lost, lost in her own thought, her own world.

As usual, Paris starts the day by turn on the Open sign hanging in front of the door and put the daisies on a crystal glass next to the cashier. Since it is still early in the morning, Paris decides to re-read her favorite book, pride and prejudice while Lilly is working on her masterpiece in the staff room.

There is a bell on top of the front door, whenever someone open the door, the bell will make a clear ‘ding dong’ sound. As soon as Paris reaches the second page of her book, the bell suddenly makes some noise. Paris looks up and finds a man with a dark denim cap and a plaid scarf that covers most of his face. He wears an expensive button up shirt with jeans. The man walk right to the second shelf without looking at Paris and finds a book that read Guide to Paris.

‘Ironic’ Paris thinks to herself.

After scanning through a few pages, the man walks to the cashier where Paris is sitting.

“What can I help you sir?” Paris asks lightly and gives out her most welcoming smile.

“I would like to have this book and by the way, you have an amazing smile.” The man speaks.

Paris blushes a little. “$12.75 sir and this is for you.” She speaks as she hands him the book in a paper bag along with a daisy.

The man takes the bag with the daisy and walks out the door.

Before reaching out for the handle, the man hesitates then he turns around and walks back to the cashier, where Paris is still standing there in shock dazzling by his charming voice.

Taking off his hat, the man flashes a smile. “I guess I’ll see you tomorrow since I have a list of book to buy.” Then the man quickly puts his hat back on and walks out.

“That guy does indeed look very familiar to me.” Paris mumbles.

“Lee Donghae!” Lilly’s signature voice yells out surprises the confusing Paris.