Baseball Game Date

Waiting for You

Dongwoo waited outside of the gates of Jamsil Stadium, playing with the straps of his backpack as time passed by. He got there earlier than expected, leaving his house early to give himself some time to get there just in case he got lost. Turns out that Dongwoo followed a rightful path and got to the place with a whole hour to spare, watching the different crowds of families and groups of friends walking together drunkenly with jerseys and noisemakers for the game. It was an exciting environment, and Dongwoo anticipated a different kind of fun in comparison to American games he was used to for the past couple of years. 

The first five minutes he arrived, he waited patiently on a bench and thought about all of the possible fun things that will happen.

Eventually, he bored himself to death with games on his phone for a long hour, and at some point he considered taking a nap on a bench outside the stadium.

Woohyun and Sungyeol finally arrived to the stadium sporting matching blue Doosan Bears jerseys. Woohyun flashed a smile at Dongwoo, holding two jerseys in both of his hands. 

"You're finally here," Dongwoo yawned, taking one of the jerseys from Woohyun. Taking the jersey was as if he was accepted into their Korean club of wonders, fitting in and making a name for himself with Woohyun and Sungyeol. "I got here a lot earlier than I expected," Dongwoo said as he put on the jersey.

"Yeah, I know." Sungyeol took out his phone and slid his finger down the screen to reveal a line of twenty texts from Dongwoo all saying the same thing:

"WHEN ARE YOU GETTING HERE ㅠㅠ."

Dongwoo blushed, a little bashful from texting so much. "Hey, I wanted to go in! I can't help that I'm excited."

"That's ok." Sungyeol smiled, knowing he made a good decision to invite Dongwoo to the game.

"Well we can't go in yet, we have to wait for one more person." Woohyun held up the last jersey for the last person joining.

"Who are we waiting for anyways? You didn't tell me who you invited. Was it Bomi?" Sungyeol asked.

A figure in the distance wearing all black from head-to-toe walked towards their group of three, sulking down the entrance with his hands in the hood of his sweatshirt and a grim face with dark eyebags. The figure looked like it had just gotten out of bed and put on a sweatshirt to leave the house without brushing their teeth or hair. The figure looked like a zombie who came out from the dead and hated all kinds of sunlight and people.

The zombie was Sunggyu.

Sunggyu walked over to their group, much to the surprise of Dongwoo and Sungyeol.

"Hey Sunggyu..." Sungyeol stammered, tensing up at the sight of his worst nightmare.

Sunggyu nodded his head to acknowledge him, keeping his mouth shut and eyes almost closed. He was that exhausted.

"I'm Dongwoo." He put his hand out to introduce himself. Dongwoo heard the rumors about Sunggyu from many people, especially when Hoya and L talked about him in their classes. Sunggyu was also a person that Woohyun religiously complained about, always having a new story about work to tell him.

Sunggyu ignored his peace offering hand shake. Unworthy of my handshake. He sniffed his nose.

After a few seconds of waiting, Dongwoo hid his hand in his pocket. "Alright then," he hummed to himself. 

"Are you watching the game with your friends?" Sungyeol asked, surprised to even see him at a baseball game.

Woohyun bit his tongue, reluctant to explain the real reason why Sunggyu was standing with them. "Umm..." Woohyun's voice was dry, unable to say a single word.

"Woohyun invited me here," Sunggyu finally spoke, breaking the ice and offering a way to make things awkward between Woohyun and his friends. He took pleasure in making Woohyun's life hell.

Sungyeol's jaw dropped, staring at Woohyun dead in his eye. He did not exactly have any kind of relationship with Sunggyu, but all he knew was that he was working with one of his best friends and it would not do Woohyun any kind of good in the long run. Sunggyu was a criminal to him, and he did not forget that he was also in debt to Hak Yeon. "You what?!" Sungyeol mouthed to Woohyun, almost mad that this was happening.

Dongwoo was confused why Woohyun would even invite someone like him, scrunching up his nose and tilting his head to emphasize bewilderment. He took his baseball cap and turned it around, like it would help in any way.

"I'm sorry," Woohyun mouthed back, shutting his eyes and knowing that he screwed himself over on this one.

 

(((())))

 

"Um, what are you doing tomorrow afternoon?"

"I'm going to sleep, and that's about it." Sunggyu had no plans for the following day, staring at the chain link fence next to them.

Woohyun closed his eyes, and the words spilled out without preparation. "I have an extra ticket to watch the Doosan Bears, and you should watch it with me." What the hell did I just do?! Woohyun, what did you do what did you do??

Sunggyu squinted his eyes, unable to accept that this was real life. "Are you inviting me to hang out?"

Woohyun scratched the back of his neck, nodding his head to the question.

Sunggyu swirled his tongue in his mouth, looking down at the chalk circle he was standing in and pondered what this meant. "And why would I consider going to this, especially with you?" There was a double meaning to this, and Sunggyu was convinced this would lead to some sort of prank.

Woohyun had nothing else to say. He took his wallet out of his back pocket and opened it. Behind a wad of cash were two tickets for the Doosan Bears. Woohyun took one of the tickets out and waved it in front of Sunggyu. "Are you going to take it or not??" he asked rigidly, unable to deal with anymore bull with Sunggyu.

Sunggyu looked at the print; Saturday, Jamsil Stadium, 4 o' clock in the afternoon, Doosan Bears. Sunggyu had to admit to himself that it had been years since he gone to a baseball game, let alone even watch one on TV. Looking at the measly piece of paper brought back certain memories that Sunggyu tried to erase in high school. He battled the person and name he made for himself now with the person he was before. Nostalgia took over. "I'll go."

"Of course you wouldn't go, that's not surpris... wait, what did you say?" Woohyun was not sure if he heard right.

"Did I stutter? I said I'll go, sheesh." Sunggyu grabbed the ticket from Woohyun's hand and shoved it down his pocket, once again a little bashful that he would be spending more time with Woohyun. "I didn't know you wanted me so badly. Maybe I can hold your hand while we go."

Woohyun fumed, almost wanting to explode. "I'm going back to work." In a flash, Woohyun stormed out of the back and slammed the door right behind him. He was indecisive on whether he made the right or wrong decision to invite Sunggyu.

Sunggyu watched as Woohyun walked out, smirking at what he caused. "Serves him right."

I'm not going to this game for you, Woohyun. I'm going because I like baseball.

At least, that was what Sunggyu tried to convince himself to feel better about accepting the invite. Liking baseball was only part of it.

 

(((())))

 

"Where the hell is my jersey?" Sunggyu asked.

Woohyun opened his eyes and sighed, swinging the jersey into Sunggyu's chest. Dear god, help me so that I don't kill Sunggyu today

"Oh, there it is." Sunggyu grabbed the jersey and shoved Woohyun's hands out of the way, walking into Dongwoo's shoulder to enter the stadium by himself. He did not want to be seen associated with any of them. Hanging out with a bunch of nugus... I knew I should have stayed at home today

Woohyun shook his head, squeezing himself in the middle of Dongwoo and Sungyeol to chase after Sunggyu leaving them. "Get back here!" he screamed, running after the delinquent. Sunggyu hanging out with us. I knew I should have invited Bomi. He regretted that he ever even considered this.

Sungyeol scratched his head, acting a little restlessly now that Sunggyu was around him. There's two ways today will go. It will either go bad or it will go bad. He followed suit to enter the stadium.

Lastly, Dongwoo stood alone watching the three of them dally off to the main gate. The first one to arrive, and the last one to enter. There was a lot of irony to it, and he expected nothing less for a day with his friends and a random guy he just formally met. "This should be fun!" Dongwoo grinned, following Sungyeol to get things going. The thrill of a day full of drama was exciting.

 

(((())))

 

"I didn't know the seats were this good!" Dongwoo followed Woohyun into the first row of the stadium right behind the pit of the Doosan Bears.

"Our baseball coach has a lot of good connections." Woohyun played with the tickets and hit them back and forth on his thigh as he squished his way into the row. 

Their seats were as good as it gets; right behind the railing and in full view of the left side of the field with no people in front of them. Right under their seats was the pit for the Doosan Bears. They were great seats to catch foul balls and maybe even snag a high five from a team member. 

The stadium was going wild with the Bears currently in the field for defense. Almost everyone in the audience looked identical, wearing the same exact blue jersey as the four of them. Some of them wore a lot more added accessories and apparel, like hats, flashy necklaces, and sweatpants to show their support. On top of that, many people were holding noisemakers and balloons to wave in the air and show more love for the team. Everyone sang a fan chant, and for each player on the team there was a different fan chant to shout. 

The seating arrangements were as followed: Woohyun at the end, Dongwoo, Sungyeol, and Sunggyu at the other end.

Well, wherever Sunggyu was.

"Where the hell did Sunggyu go?" Sunggyu never followed them to their seats. Woohyun looked above everyone's heads to spot him, but there was no such luck.

"Why would you even invite him to be with us?" Sungyeol questioned, almost on the verge of spilling everything he knew about Sunggyu and ruin a perfectly good afternoon at the stadium. "You know what kind of person he's like. Especially after everything?"

"I gotta admit, I'm a bit surprised he's here too. Unless you really had to give away a ticket and there was no one else to gve it to," Dongwoo thought out loud.

Wait. That's a great idea. "Sunggyu was the last person I saw yesterday, and I didn't want a ticket to go to waste. Honestly, everyone should be watching baseball if it was up to me." That sounded good, right? It seemed like an excusable reason on why Sunggyu would go to the game with him.

Sungyeol was still a bit skeptical. Most of all, he did not want to sit directly next to Sunggyu during the game. "Woohyun, can we switch spots then?"

"What's wrong with sitting next to me?"

Sunggyu finally came to their row, showing no emotion or fuss for the game. He sat down next to Sungyeol, holding a tray of four beers in his hand. 

"Oh." Woohyun was thrown off by the fact Sunggyu brought beers for everyone. "You got us drinks?"

"Yeah." Sunggyu passed the beers down the line to get to everyone, taking a sip of his own and throwing the tray on the floor once everyone received theirs.

"Wow, thanks." Woohyun looked down at the cold refreshing beer in his hands. He could not resist, taking a sip of it.

Sunggyu let out a satisfying exhale. "I also snuck in a bottle of cheongju down my pants."

Woohyun choked on his beer and almost knocked over his own cup, some of it spilling out of the brim. Woohyun coughed and could not breath.

"What is... cheongju?" Dongwoo asked, gladly drinking his beer. This tastes really good. The taste of Korean beer was a lot different from American beer.

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow. "You don't know what cheongju is?"

"Dongwoo came from America," Sungyeol said, passing his beer to Sunggyu. "By the way, I don't drink."

He doesn't drink? Dongwoo was surprised and not surprised all at the same time. That was why he acted weird at the dance that one time. He was as innocent as Dongwoo thought he was.

Sunggyu was visibly irritated. "What kind of nugu are you?"

"Shut up," Woohyun coughed, the symptoms finally subsiding.

Sunggyu groaned. You've got to be kidding me. "Fine. Two beers is better than one anyways."

"Wait." Dongwoo stuck his hand and grabbed the cup away from Sunggyu, bringing it back in front of Sungyeol. "You should at least try a sip. Do you have any beliefs about alcohol, or you simply never tried it before?"

Sungyeol did not know how to respond to that. Suddenly, there was a lot of pressure for him to try his first cup of alcohol. Normally Sungyeol would feel no temptation to do anything like that, but it was different when Dongwoo was the one offering it to him. "I, umm..."

"You don't have to try it if you don't want to," Woohyun added, sticking up for Sungyeol. There was no real reason why Sungyeol did not drink. Woohyun knew the reason why was only because Sungyeol thought being drunk was unappealing and not worth anything.

"Wow." Sunggyu rolled his eyes and took another sip of his beer. What a loser.  

"I'll do it," Sungyeol declared.

"What?" Sunggyu and Woohyun turned to Sungyeol in unison.

And with much determination, Sungyeol took the cup of beer and took a deep breath. He noticed the bubbles from the carbonation rise to the top and pop, imagining it as if it was like soda to make it seem a lot more attractive in taste. There were a lot of factors that played in his decision to drink. Hayoung was not there with him, and he also knew that Hayoung was not a drinker. He considered that maybe she would judge him if she ever found out. Woohyun would not care at all, but he was wary of Sunggyu maybe telling people that the top ranking person in the class was drinking with him.

Most of all, there was Dongwoo, and his presence made everything difficult. The cards were on the table, and for some reason it was important for him to impress Dongwoo. Sungyeol made his decision.

He took the cup and took a sip of beer, holding his breath as he unexpectedly chugged the whole cup to the last drop. His body was shaking after he finished it, almost as if something took over. Sungyeol felt like he was a new person, dropping the cup to the floor in shock.

The rest of them looked at Sungyeol, almost as if it was a dream that Sungyeol drank it all in one go. It was uncharacteristic for him to do something like that, but it was also the greatest thing they had seen all day.

"Oh my god." Woohyun covered his open mouth with his hand.

"Wow." Sunggyu spoke. Even I can't do that. "Daebak."

 

(((())))

 

Close to the 7th inning stretch.

"Doosan hwaiting!"

"Doosan Bears!"

"Doosan hwaiting!"

"Doosan Bears!"

Everyone in the stadium stood up from their seats clapping in rhythm as the cheer leader ran around the field and shouted cheers from a microphone for the fans to repeat back. The whole stadium clapped in unison, each cheer coordinated for every occasion in the sport. The baseball community was something else, and it brought strangers together for one love.

Dongwoo clapped his hands together, entertained by how different the atmosphere was in comparison to an American game. Dongwoo sort of knew what to expect, but he did not know it would be to this kind of extend of unity. He loved every second of it.

"Are you having a good time?" Woohyun asked, elbowing Dongwoo in the shoulder.

"I'm having a blast! This is one of the best days I've had since I moved here," Dongwoo grinned.

"How about you Sungyeol, how are you?"

"WOOOOO!!!!" Sungyeol was dancing in his seat, jumping up and down and punching the air with blown up balloons in excitement for the game. "I LOVE THIS GAME! THIS GAME IS SO GOOD!" His cheeks were colored red and his smile was the gummiest and biggest he ever showed. He was enjoying himself and his surroundings. And the alcohol.

"You're serious that this is his first time drinking?" Dongwoo wondered.

"Yeah. Never drank before, but he seems to be having a lot of fun! YEAH GO BEARS!" Woohyun swung his noisemaker in the air. "So, you've drank before in America then?"

"Oh." Dongwoo laughed nervously. "Yeah I did." He wanted to change the subject as fast as possible. "How's Sunggyu doing?"

Dongwoo and Woohyun leaned over to take a look at Sunggyu, who was sitting down in his seat with a balloon in his hand. He was leaning against his arm rest and waved the balloon in the air with much enthusiasm. He looked like he was about to fall asleep. Sunggyu was clearly alive with the spirit of the game.

"Sunggyu, stop being a downer and join in," Woohyun begged. Even he felt a little bad Sunggyu was not enjoying it, but it could also be a part of his whole bad boy persona that he pretended not to care. Woohyun was not sure which Sunggyu it was.

Sunggyu rolled his eyes. "Chincha..." He got up from his seat and stood up slouching, hitting his balloon twice, then sitting back down in his chair. He smiled at Woohyun, taking a bow that he completed his task. 

"Fine." Woohyun was not going to bother Sunggyu any longer. Brat.

Sungyeol linked his arm with Dongwoo's and leaned against his shoulder, the alcohol making him a lot more friendly and outgoing than he normally is. Dongwoo's shoulder was warm, and Sungyeol treated it like a pillow. "You're comfy!" Sungyeol cheesed.

Dongwoo felt a tug on his arm and was surpried when Sungyeol rested his head on him, almost sitting comfortably in between the crevasse of his neck and shoulder. He regretted encouraging him to drink that beer as well as some of Sunggyu's cheongju later in the game, because now he was holding onto him like a koala. At the same time, Dongwoo thought it was cute this was happening. Everyone's first time drinking is like this. Dongwoo let it slide. "Tell me how you're doing."

"I'm doing just fine." Sungyeol nuzzled his nose into Dongwoo's shoulder. 

"Woah Sungyeol, are you sure you're ok?" Woohyun asked, growing more concerned for him.

Sunggyu turned to look at Sungyeol, who was slouching on Dongwoo and trying to hug him. Even he was alarmed.

"Dongwoo, I really wanted Hayoung to come here today," Sungyeol complained, pouting like a little kid.

"Yeah, I know." Dongwoo heard the story a few times throughout the game, almost as if Sungyeol was trying to guilt trip him and blame him. "I hope you're still having a good time though."

"No, no!" Sungyeol hugged Dongwoo's arm tighter. "You don't understand." Sungyeol slurred his words slowly to make sure Dongwoo heard correctly. "I wanted her to come, but I'm glad she didn't. I'm having a great time with you!"

Dongwoo almost fell in his seat. He was really flattered, blushing a little bit from the compliment. "Sungyeol, you're drunk."

"No, really." Sungyeol leaned his head into Dongwoo's chest, twisting his body and looking like he was going to fall to the ground. "You're the best, Dongwoo!"

"Woah." Sunggyu stood up from his chair and helped Sungyeol stand up straight by pulling on his shirt. "Someone should take him to the bathroom. He's losing it."

"I'll take him," Woohyun volunteered.

"You can stay here, I got him," Dongwoo declared.

"Are you sure?"

"Yup." Dongwoo adjusted Sungyeol's body so it was as if he was piggybacking him. "He's already on me. Might as well."

Sunggyu leaned back as Dongwoo and Sungyeol inched their way out of the aisle and towards the bathroom. Sungyeol was falling all over the place, headbutting Sunggyu's chest and grabbing onto his thigh as he tried to leave. Dongwoo struggled to take him out, but as they got to the stairs things got easier as Sungyeol crawled his way up. Thankfully, everyone else around them was too immersed in the game to even notice anything was going on.

Which left Sunggyu and Woohyun alone.

Neither of them really talked to each other throughout the whole game, and it was almost over in two more innings. With two chairs between them, they stood there as if they did not know each other. They might as well have been strangers. 

After some time, Sunggyu was the first to break the silence. "Sungyeol is an idiot."

"Hey, don't talk about my friend like that. I can say the same for you and your friends," Woohyun fought.

Sunggyu scoffed. "Whatever." He hit his balloon on his thigh and groaned. I don't know why I came here today. "This game is fun."

"Fun? You've barely said a word today." 

"Yup. I am having a blast, I could almost die." Sunggyu yawned, doing his best to irritate Woohyun.

Woohyun hated Sunggyu's sarcasm, and quite frankly he did not want him at the game anymore. "If you're not having fun you can go. I don't know why'd you accept a ticket and waste your Saturday if you weren't even going to..."

Try. If you weren't even going to try and get along with me, then you can just go. 

That was when Woohyun realized how disappointed he was in Sunggyu. How much effort he was putting to trying to find the Sunggyu he used to know. It was not there, and Woohyun finally accepted it. "I'm going to find Sungyeol," Woohyun mumbled. He dropped his noisemaker on the ground and walked through the aisle to pass Sunggyu. Woohyun made it obvious how upset he was.

But then Sunggyu grabbed on his wrist firmly.

"Let go of me," Woohyun ordered.

"Stay here." Sunggyu was not letting Woohyun get away.

"Let go of me right now."

"I have something to tell you."

Sunggyu's voice was so gentle when he said that, his intentions almost confusing. One second he was trying to annoy Woohyun, and the next minute he was grateful.

Deep down inside, Sunggyu really was thankful that Woohyun brought him here. Little did he know, he was actually having a great time here. "I haven't seen a baseball game in a really long time, and this was a lot of fun. I don't go to things like this anymore. Just because I don't cheer doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it. Stop overreacting every time I don't say anything and stop trying to read me." Sunggyu felt satisfied with what he said, yet uncomfortable at the same time.

Why did I tell Woohyun that? What is he going to think? I should have kept my mouth shut... but I wanted him to know that

Woohyun had no words for him. He opened his mouth, trying to find the right words or comeback to tell him. That was an answer that he did not see coming, and it struck him down like a baseball pitcher and no hitter. Sunggyu's hold paralyzed him. It did not scare Woohyun. It did not hurt Woohyun. It was as if his grasp was comforting in a strange way. "I... I..."

"Sorry," Sunggyu said. God, what am I doing right now? Nerves took over, and Sunggyu held onto his wrist tighter to make sure that he heard him correctly. "Woohyun, I don't hate you."

Woohyun took a gulp but nothing went down his throat. Dryness. He had no words to say. Sunggyu... "I..."

Dongwoo ran down the stairs and back to their aisle in a frenzy, distraught about something and out of breath. "Sungyeol..."

Sunggyu and Woohyun turned to see Dongwoo. Sunggyu let go of Woohyun's wrist.

"What's going on?" Woohyun asked.

Dongwoo took a deep breath, his heart racing from rushing down to find them. "Sungyeol got kicked out of the game for throwing up on a security guard."

Sunggyu and Woohyun looked at each other worriedly, as if they were not sure what they were going to do next. With Sungyeol, and their relationship.

A quick decision needed to be made.

"My parents aren't home right now, we can take Sungyeol to my place," Woohyun confirmed.

 


THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN TO SUBSCRIBERS, VOTERS, COMMENTERS, EVERYONE.  I swear, some of you are really sweet for commenting here and even sending me messages about this story and recommending it on tumblr.

What's going to happen next? Well... Sunggyu is going over to Woohyun's place? Stay tuned xD Also, what do you think about Dongwoo? I can't say what's going to happen with him, but it will be interesting to say th least.