Bringing Down the House

Waiting for You

Woohyun paced back and forth, holding his clipboard with a checklist of tasks that needed to be accomplished. He looked around, tapping his pen on his thigh and humming restlessly. 

"The streamers need to be put up faster!" he yelled out to the stage.

A group of volunteers were on top of the school gym stage and tangled in multitudes of streamers in different pastel colors, trying to create a border around the stage where the DJ would take place for their dance.

"And the sign!"

A couple of people were holding onto a ladder behind the streamers group, carefully spotting a student with pink hair to place the banner for their school dance on the basketball hoop: Spring Fever. The concentrated on his balance, shaking on top of the ladder as he tried to multitask with cutting tape and trying not to fall off. 

Woohyun cringed in the middle of the gym, hugging his clipboard nervously as he watched the scene. "Everything is a mess right now," Woohyun grumbled to himself.

Woohyun woke up early at 9 o' clock in the morning to decorate the dance with student council as well as any other volunteer who wanted to lend a helping hand. He had been there for hours already, trying to perfect the decorations and oversee everyone. He barely had any sleep last night, his insomnia getting to him due to the stress of making the school dance perfect. And of course, the stress of Sunggyu being his new coworker. Thankfully the school dance was almost over, and Woohyun would only have to worry about one thing at a time.

Hayoung came from the side of the gym, where they were setting up the refreshments table. She had her signature heavenly smile on her face, walking over to comfort a distressed president. "I think someone needs to take a deep breath."

Woohyun giggled. "Is there even really time to breath these days?"

"You definitely set yourself up for trouble. I mean, president, baseball captain, and a part-time job?"

"Don't even get me started," Woohyun shook his head, not even wanting to address the issue with his job.

Hayoung patted Woohyun on the shoulder. Her touch was definitely easing to the senses. Woohyun thought she was cute, but had no real interest in trying to initiate something with her. She was sometimes a little too quiet for him, and also because Sungyeol might have a crush on her.

"Hey. Tell me about that guy with the pink hair." Woohyun pointed him out for Hayoung, who was just about done finishing the banner.

"Oh, his name is Dongwoo!" Hayoung started. "He's in my history class with Sungyeol. He's a transfer... from America."

Woohyun's jaw dropped in awe. "America?"

"I know! He's also really friendly. I tried talking to him after class, and I invited him to come help decorate for the dance as a way to get to know more people."

Suddenly, the strange pink-haired student climbed down the ladder and jumped off the stage. Dongwoo flashed an alluring smile, feeling accomplished for putting up the banner for everyone. He took a quick glance at the banner; perfectly aligned. Dongwoo nodded his head, walking over to Hayoung and Woohyun. "How does that look Hayoung?"

Hayoung clapped her hands for a mini-applause. "Looks great Dongwoo!"

Woohyun extended his hand out to introduce himself to the new student. "Hey there, my name is Nam Woohyun."

Dongwoo accepted his hand shake. "Jang Dongwoo. Hayoung told me about you. School president? That's really cool."

Woohyun blushed a little. "Can't be as cool as living in America."

Touche. Dongwoo knew that Woohyun was right. He took a liking with Hayoung and Woohyun already, attracted to both of their honest demeanors. It also helped that Woohyun himself was charming, the type of person Dongwoo would want to be friends with. "Well, that requires a long story."

Woohyun liked his personality already in the few seconds that he had met him. He took out his phone from his pocket, taking a look at the time. Oh crap. "Hey Hayoung, I have to go to work now," he said, giving his clipboard to the treasurer to take care of everything else.

Hayoung nodded her head. "You're going to be late to the dance, right?"

"Yeah, I have a closing shift today."

"Where do you work?" Dongwoo asked. Since coming back to Korea from America, he did his best to try to get to know everyone around him on campus. He was unsure of himself whether he was coming off too strong, but no one around him seemed to have a problem with it. 

"My brother owns a soup restaurant called Guk Pan. It's actually close to school, into the next neighborhood," Woohyun explained. He was in a bit of a hurry, so he only had time to make a closing statement. He started walking away from the both of them to leave the gym. "Hayoung, I told Sungyeol that if you need any help while I'm not there, you can ask him," he called out. Woohyun turned around and started running out the door.

"Thanks Woohyun." Hayoung scanned the clipboard to see what else she had to do.

"I can definitely help out too if you need me too," Dongwoo smiled.

Hayoung looked up, startled by how willing Dongwoo was to help. "You're fantastic Dongwoo."

Dongwoo slyly winked at Hayoung, pointing a finger gun at her. "Not as fantastic as you."

Ok, you are amazing and I want to put you in my pocket forever.

 

(((())))

 

Sunggyu yawned, scratching his eye and trying to wake himself up. He woke only about an hour before his shift started, taking advantage of the weekend to sleep in and catch up on any sleep he lost throughout the week. Sunggyu had a very exciting week to say the least and finally to end it was a closing shift and school dance, which really annoyed him to no end.

Since the dance only had teacher chaperones by the entrance door, no one was ever really inside to supervise the mess of what was going on inside. It was practically a club. Sunggyu always liked school dances, because it was a chance for him to sneak some alcohol in and have some fun with his friends. He did not exactly like dancing, but in an inebriated state he loved nothing more but to put his hands on the lovely ladies of campus. It was dirty, but no one ever rejected an invitation to dance with Sunggyu. 

Sunggyu's phone vibrated. He took his phone out of his pocket to check who it was. Great. One of Hak Yeon's minions.

"Hak Yeon wants at least 250,000 won by today," from Kim Won Shik.

Is this guy out of his mind?! I told him that I just got the job yesterday. I don't even know when I get my first paycheck.

Sunggyu arrived at Guk Pan, but before he could even make it in he was yearning for a compromise. "Maybe next week, but I can't right now," from Kim Sunggyu.

He waited nervously for their response. Seconds almost seemed like days.

Finally, another vibration.

"250,000 won by today. Final," from Kim Won Shik.

WHAT?????

"AISH-" Sunggyu rubbed his head, kicking the ground in frustration. He was expecting something bad if he was unable to bring up 250,000 won in time for the dance. Are you kidding me right now? Are you ing kidding me right now? "Oh my god, are you serious?"

Woohyun turned a corner to get to Guk Pan, coming in as Sunggyu was having a mental breakdown in front of the restaurant. Woohyun stopped in his tracks, watching as he jumped around like a madman. What is going on right now? He observed silently, running back to the hide behind the corner and peek at him.

"!" Sunggyu screamed out to the sky, reaching his arms out for some kind of heavenly rainfall of money. "What do you expect me to do right now?"

Woohyun leaned over to secretly watch Sunggyu, but then he lost grip from coming too forward." Ahhh!"

Sunggyu's heart jumped, turning around to watch Woohyun flail his arms and fall to the floor. Sunggyu shut his mouth, realizing that he was being spied on. He felt a little embarrassed, biting his lip and shoving his hands down his pockets. 

Woohyun was pained from the fall, trying to pick himself up and brush off the dirt from his uniform. He touched his shoulder, but the slight sense felt like a stab wound since he landed straight on it. Woohyun scrunched his nose, hurting from the impact. Sunggyu, what are you up... OW!!!!

Sunggyu had nothing to say to him, and he had no intention of telling Woohyun his problems. First Hak Yeon, and now I get to spend hours with Woohyun. What a wonderful Saturday. He rolled his eyes, storming off into the restaurant to start work.

 

(((())))

 

Almost to close, Woohyun spent time by the cash register taking inventory and counting money today. It was his job every Saturday to keep track of the gains and losses from the starting amount that day. He took his calculator, punching numbers in with a pen to add all the money up for the day.

Sunggyu, on the other hand, was hanging out at one of the tables on his phone. He stuck his tongue out, concentrating on a game that required him to match rows of different types of candy together to crush them. It was a minimal game, but enough to keep Sunggyu's attention. More than working, at least.

Woohyun had to admit, Sunggyu did a better job today than he did his first day. It was a busier day too with many families coming in for family dinner, but Woohyun had him working the floor serving food and taking orders. It was not exactly an exceptional job, but Sunggyu was not as snarky as he was yesterday.

In fact, majority of his time Sunggyu was mute and barely spoke a word. That was because Sunggyu had a lot on his mind, and he was still unsure how to get out of the situation that was coming for him at the dance.

The kitchen doors swung open and at that second Sunggyu jumped up from his seat and inspected the table, pretending he was doing work. Boohyun walked out with his chef uniform folded and wearing a leather jacket. His hair was combed over, and he looked as if he was going out to meet up with friends. "Are you two good for the rest of the night?" he asked.

"Yeah," Sunggyu said.

"Wait..." Woohyun put down his stack of money and looked up. Don't leave me alone with this idiot!!!  "So what do you want me to do with the money?"

"Since you're going to the dance later, just put it in the safe. I'll come in tomorrow to pick it up for ingrediends."

Also, can you take Sunggyu with you?

Woohyun understood his brother's request. 

"I'm going to head out now. I'll see you later Woohyun. Both of you, work on Monday." Boohyun bowed in front of them and left the restaurant.

Woohyun looked around the empty restaurant, taking a stack of money and flipping through its crisp edges. Time to close up fast, go to the dance, and get the hell away from Sunggyu. "I'm going to get the mop. When you close, just wipe the floors and then dump the water outside after. Got it?"

Don't tell me what to do. "Got it," Sunggyu replied. 

Woohyun left the counter and walked into the kitchen to get the mop. 

"What a long day," Sunggyu groaned, kicking the chair in front of him and throwing his apron on the floor. He sighed, knowing that he got himself into another predicament he could not get out of. Where the hell am I going to get that much money right now? Sunggyu walked back and forth in the restaurant, waiting for Woohyun to come out and put him on cleaning duties. He needed an answer, and an answer fast.

That was when Sunggyu saw his answer to his problems. It was another blessing in disguise, each one this week had been coming from Guk Pan in itself. The karma of being a regular customer had presented itself in solving Sunggyu's problems.

Sunggyu stared at the cash register.

 

(((())))

 

Spring Fever.

Pastel streamers surrounded the gym, twirled around and shaped into different types of flowers. The refreshments table had several aligned bottles of water out as well as two large bowls of fruit punch to serve. Some people stood by the edges, watching on and talking with their friends as bystanders. The dance floor was crowded with groups dancing in circles to the music on the outskirts. Some people took things to the next level and intimately danced with their partners closer towards the stage. And of course, there were the the experienced dancers on the side having a competition with each other.

The DJ changed the song up to play a new song, weaving in Dynamic Duo's "BAAAM" to his setlist for everyone to dance to. That had the students screaming.

Myungsoo and Sungjong were standing around, watching a solo competition of different dancers coming in to show off their moves. The dance circle started off small, taking place near the entrance of the gym. As people walked into the dance, they joined in to make the circle bigger. Nodding to the music, they watched as one of the students started perform pop and locking moves in the middle.

"Not bad," Sungjong commented, taking a sip of his juice. His lips puckered up from the awful taste. "Myungsoo how much Chung Ha did you put in the punch bowl?"

Myungsoo grinned like an idiot, his cheeks red from drinking several cups of punch. His normally dull eyes sparkled in the darkness of the dance. "Let's just say I put in a lot."

Coming late into the dance, Hoya ran in and joined his friends. He looked a lot more different than his usual look, sporting some tan skinny pants, a white shirt, and a blue blazer to top off his outfit in a somewhat family-friendly look.

"Hoya!" Myungsoo and Sungjong yelled in unison. 

"Birthday dinner ended earlier than I expected, and now I'm here." Hoya squeezed himself in the middle of his friends and looked on at the dance circle. "What's going on right now?"

"Not many good dancers," Sungjong shrugged.

"Well then." Hoya his lips, shaking his shoulders to prepare. "Time to show everyone what they've been missing."

Hoya took a step into the circle, and at the same time a student wearing a baseball tee and a backwards fitting out stepped onto the floor to also show his moves. Peaking through the hat was some visible pink hair.

Dongwoo.

The two of them looked at each other, both of them a little shocked that the other entered the solo dance competition. Of course, they had only met a day ago to know any details of their personal lives. Before this moment, their first impressions were not all that pleasant. They both paused in the middle of the circle, all eyes on them.

This smiling dinosaur knows how to dance? Hoya thought. 

This dumb kingka has moves? Dongwoo wondered.

"HURRY THE HELL UP! I WANT TO SEE SOME DANCING!" Myungsoo drunkenly yelled, stumbling over and spilling his cup on the dance floor.

Dongwoo nodded his head to the beat of "BAAAM", getting into the song. It had been a very long time since he heard Korean music, but he forgot how good it was. Getting into the groove, Dongwoo performed a body wave to start. He used all body parts from his fingers to his arms, moving into his torso and down to his feet to glide across the floor. Everyone watched in astonishment, how natural it was for him to dance.

"He's not that bad," Sungjong admitted.

He's a good dancer. Hoya thought to himself, nodding his head at every placed dance move. He did not expect the new kid from America to have this much feeling in his step. It was almost as if Hoya felt a slight threat from his moves, Dongwoo finishing up with a jumping move to hype up the crowd. Everyone in the circle clapped, impressed by everything.

"Show me what you got," Dongwoo teased with a smile.

Hoya smirked. I'll show you. Hoya took a step forward, kicking the air and getting into his dance with very smooth moves and getting his arms and feet synchronized together. He showed a variety of different moves, influenced by both jazz and hip hop. His moves were sharper, executing very aggressive steps with ease. The whole time, Hoya was beaming in confidence.

"That's the Hoya I know," Myungsoo grinned.

Dongwoo nodded, a little surprised that the same person he met in history class was the same person dancing before him. He could not help but enjoy his dance as well. Hoya, it's like you've been doing this his whole life. Dongwoo could tell there was a lot of passion in his movements. He was impressed.

 

(((())))

"Look over there, Sungyeol!"

Sungyeol finished pouring a glass of punch to a student and looked in Hayoung's direction. He saw a lot of students crowding around a solo dance circle near the entrance of the gym. Hiding between the people, he saw the heads of Dongwoo and Hoya battling each other in a dance. No one ever challenges Hoya to a dance competition. "Woah, daebak."

"I know!" Hayoung jumped up and down excitedly by the refreshments table watching them. "I didn't know Dongwoo had that in him."

"Maybe he danced in America," Sungyeol wondered, pouring another glass of punch to someone. 

Woohyun had yet to arrive to the dance, so Hayoung enlisted Sungyeol to work a shift a the refreshments table with her. The both of them worked there for almost an hour now, as if they were having another one of their private hangouts with each other to get to know each other. Sungyeol and Hayoung always enjoyed each other's company.

"How do I look when I dance?"

Sungyeol looked at Hayoung, who moved her hips from side-to-side, her floral skirt flowing with each movement. Clearly not the best dance he had ever seen, but to him she looked really adorable doing it.

Sungyeol let out a nervous laugh. "Can't be as good as this."

Sungyeol put his hands on his hips and moved them around in circles, getting into the beat of the song and going all out with his hip movement. Hayoung clapped her hands in enjoyment.

"Not bad!"

Sungyeol stopped his dancing, turning around to find Dongwoo standing right at the refreshments table. Sungyeol hugged himself, feeling embarrassed for making a fool out of himself.

"You're a great dancer," Hayoung complimented.

Dongwoo let out an uneasy laugh, always humble with every ovation he received.

Sungyeol tried to get the thought of Dongwoo catching him dance out of his mind. "Yeah, that was great! Especially since Hoya is one of the best dancers at school." He realized he was forgetting something. "Oh, I'm Lee Sungyeol by the way."

"I think you're in my history class, right?" Dongwoo asked.

"Yes, I am," Sungyeol nodded.

Hayoung looked at the time. He had to work another shift selling tickets at the front entrance. "Sungyeol, I have to go watch over ticket sales now." She aimed her eyes at Dongwoo. "Can you help Sungyeol man the refreshments table?"

"Sure!" Dongwoo agreed, taking Hayoung's place. He tried to breath, but his throat was a little dry from dancing with Hoya. "Hey, are we allowed to drink while we're here?"

"Yeah sure."

Dongwoo took a spoon and served himself a cup of punch. He took a sip, pulling the drink back almost immediately and sticking his tongue out. There was something other than fruit juice in the mix. "What kind of punch is this?!"

"What are you talking about?" Sungyeol grabbed the spoon from Dongwoo and poured himself a cup, bringing the cup to his lips. He immediately recognized the smell of alcohol before he could even start drinking it. "Oh great, not again. Someone put alcohol in the punch." It was nothing new for Sungyeol. Almost every school function, someone had to sneak past alcohol and put it with the refreshments. It was almost always either Hak Yeon's friends or Sunggyu's friends. 

Dongwoo stared carefully at the drink. I mean, sure. He shrugged his shoulders, continuing to drink his cup of spiked fruit punch and taking large gulp at a time. In seconds, Dongwoo finished his whole cup and brought it to the air, slamming it on the table after and letting out a satisfying sigh from quenching his thirst. "That was good."

Sungyeol was shocked that Dongwoo continued to drink. He brought his hands up to his chest and watched almost queasy. Being around people who drank alcohol made him feel uncomfortable.

Well, Sungyeol never drank alcohol in his life.

Dongwoo his lips and caught Sungyeol at the corner of his eye staring at him. He shyly looked around, wondering what he did. "Are you ok Sungyeol?"

"Uh." Sungyeol scanned Dongwoo, trying to change the subject in his head to bring up something different other than alcohol. That was when he noticed Dongwoo's baseball tee, some English word in cursive that he had never heard of in his life. No amount of English class that Sungyeol took could not help him here. "What is a Yan... enk?"

"What?" Dongwoo noticed Sungyeol looking specifically at his shirt. "Oh this! This is the baseball team from New York. It is pronounced 'Yankee'. I'm surprised you can read this."

"I'm taking English language class instead of Japanese," Sungyeol said. Another baseball fan? "I like watching baseball on TV, I don't really play it though. My best friend is the baseball team captain though."

That sounds familiar. "Woohyun?"

Wow, he's really learning about this school. "You know him?"

"I met him earlier today when I was helping decorate the dance, and I overheard people talking about him playing baseball. You should watch an American game one day. It's a different atmosphere, though. And the people in the crowd are less friendly."

"That's what I've heard! There are a lot of fights that happen, huh?" All of this piqued Sungyeol's interests.

"Especially in New York. When I went to school there, I went to a lot of Yankee baseball games. Fans were fighting with people all the time. Maybe one day you can come over to my place, and you can bring Woohyun, and I can stream an American baseball game for you."

Sungyeol was surprised by how open and  welcoming he was. In only a matter of minutes, Sungyeol wanted to be his friend. "Chincha?"

There was something about Sungyeol's personality that Dongwoo liked. Maybe it was the fact that Sungyeol was genuinely invested in getting to know him. Maybe it was the fact that Sungyeol was also innocent and unaware of many things. Maybe it was the fact that deep down his shy exterior, he can also be free and shake his in circles. Dongwoo was not sure what it was, but he was interested in getting to know him. "Sure! Let's trade numbers now." 

 

(((())))

 

"230,000. 240,000. 250,000 won."

Sunggyu placed the last of the cash in Won Shik's palm. He took a deep breath, a burden lifted off his shoulders.

Won Shik flipped through the cash with his thumb, feeling every corner of it in to make sure it was correct. He looked beyond Sunggyu's shoulder, nodding to Hak Yeon who was standing right behind him.

"Good job Sunggyu," Hak Yeon commented. He took a step forward, placing a hand on Sunggyu's shoulder to make him squirm. "This was only for today. I have to pay up 250,000 won right now to prove that I was in the process of getting the money. Things will be... reasonable from now on to say the least."

Sunggyu blinked his eyes several times, shuddering from the threat. "What does that mean?"

"Get us the rest of the money in two months," Won Shik confirmed.

Two months? Sunggyu nodded confidently. "I'll do it."

"Good, we expect nothing less out of Kim Sunggyu!" Hak Yeon clapped his hands, announcing his exit from the boys restroom. "Let's go Won Shik."

The both of them left the restroom, taking their time in stepping out to instill a lingering sense of urgency and fear into Sunggyu. Hak Yeon pushed the door open, where Hongbin was standing outside to take cover. Hak Yeon took one last look over his shoulder, watching Sunggyu stare at himself in the mirror. He turned back around to make his final exit.

Sunggyu braced himself above the restroom sink. He held its edges, sick to his stomach and feeling like he was going to let one hurl out. As Woohyun stayed in the kitchen, Sunggyu counted himself 10,000 and 5,000 bills of won to reach the price he had to pay. He left Guk Pan almost immediately after, leaving Woohyun to close the place by himself. He did not look back, running towards the school dance to take care of business. Waiting tables for one day would not get him the money he wanted.

It was a dirty job, and Sunggyu actually felt bad for having to steal money from the restaurant. After every thing did, Sunggyu could care less about other feelings he hurt in the process. 

This time around, the guilt was eating him alive.

I'm in so much trouble.

 

(((())))

 

After taking some time to think things over, Sunggyu stepped into the school dance. The place was loud, and Sunggyu found himself lost in a school he had known for so long. The DJ had mixed Block B's "Very Good" into the set, and everyone was going crazy for their new big hit. Everyone but Sunggyu. The lyrics were inappropriate to everything going on in Sunggyu's life, and knowing that in his life nothing was "very good" only made him irritated. He lost control of a lot of things in his life, the blinding lights and pulsing music only giving him a headache. I need a drink

Sunggyu walked over to the punch table, where coincidentally he found Hoya, Myungsoo, and Sungjong standing by. Probably because they put wine in the punch, again

"Sunggyu!" Myungsoo called out.

Putting on a fake smile, Sunggyu hurried to get to his friends. "Sorry I'm late. Work and all."

Sungyeol watched from the refreshments table that Sunggyu arrived to the dance, yet Woohyun was nowhere to be found. He found it suspicious, especially because Woohyun told him that the both of them were supposed to close Guk Pan together. That would mean, they would probably arrive together also. "Sunggyu, where's Woohyun?" Sungyeol asked.

The four of them looked towards the refreshment table, where Dongwoo and Sungyeol were serving drinks.

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow. Oh yeah. I left Woohyun to close the restaurant alone

"What, is Sunggyu supposed to be responsible for Woohyun now?" Hoya snided.

"He just asked a question," Dongwoo barked back.

"I don't know where he is," Sunggyu finally answered, taking a cup of punch on the table. "And I could care less."

Except Sunggyu should start caring, because storming into the dance was an enraged Woohyun.

"Woohyun, we can talk about it!" Hayoung followed Woohyun from behind, who was walking straight towards Sunggyu. Hayoung clasped her hands together close to her chest, a worried expression discerned on her.

"Woohyun?" Sungyeol knew that look on his friend, and that was Woohyun's face whenever he was close to beating someone up to a bloody pulp. This only happened maybe once or twice a year. "Woohyun are you-"

"Sunggyu!" Woohyun clenched his fists as he stomped towards the man who was ruining his life. In a crowded gym, there was no one else in the room except for Sunggyu. "You ing bastard, give me back the money!"

Everyone by the refreshments table looked on to Sunggyu.

Sunggyu gulped nervously, trying to play dumb. . "What money-"

And before he could say another word, Woohyun sprinted towards Sunggyu and tackled him into the refreshments table, which completely unfolded as Sunggyu and Woohyun fell into the bowls of punch. Bottles of water, napkins, cups, and juice went everywhere and flowed onto the dance floor.  

Dongwoo and Sungyeol tried to take a step back and avoid the attack, but Dongwoo slipped on one of the napkins and fell back into a sign that said "Drinks". To try and keep balance, he pulled down on the sign but brought it down with him, falling right on top of Sungyeol and onto the floor.

The sign was connected to a line of streamers that went around the gym, taking them all down with him as the streamers fell to the floor in a wave and all over the dance floor.

And the streamers were connected posters of flowers and a backdrop, which also fell down on the sides.

And to top it all off, a line of streamers were connected to the dance banner for "Spring Fever" that hung on top of the DJ. Without any question, the banner slowly drooped down from the basketball hoop and fell on top of the DJ and the equipment he had on stage.

Screams and panic went around the school dance, and one of the teachers all of the lights of the gym. "What is going on right now?"

Everything was a disaster. The whole dance was in a disarray, with horror after horror all the decorations and tables came falling down to a chaotic mess. Students were huddled together, scared if some sort of emergency was going on. Everyone there was in a state of shock, nothing like this ever happening at a school dance until now.

Off to the side, Sunggyu and Woohyun were rolling around in puddles of fruit punch trying to get their hands on each other, unaware that the whole dance came to a tumbling end because of them. 

Dongwoo's head was sandwiched between Sungyeol's legs, both of them disoriented from falling after the accident. Dongwoo scratched his eye, lifting his head up to look up at the mess rolling in front of him. "Well, this dance was very very good."

 

 

(((())))

 

Woohyun sat at his desk, leaned back in his chair and tossing his baseball up in the air to catch in his mitt. He did this repeatedly for the next 30 minutes, confined to his room by his parents after getting called by several teachers that he started a fight in the dance. 

A knock came at his door.

"Open."

Boohyun pryed the door open to peek inside. "Woohyun?"

Woohyun did not say a word, continuing to play throw and catch with his ball.

Boohyun walked in, closing the door behind him to keep the matters private. He looked around the room, analyzing different aspects of the space. Woohyun's haven was fairly clean; nothing was ever sprawled on the floor, his bed was always made, his desk was neatly organized with a spot for him to place his books and his pens. On his wall was a white board with a calendar on it to keep track of his schedule. Other features of his room included a baseball poster of Byung Hyun Kim, and on top of his drawer were several family and friend pictures in frames. Boohyun took a look at Woohyun, almost ashamed for him that he had yet to say a single word to him in his presence. "Mom and dad are pretty mad right now."

Woohyun caught the ball with his mitt and smirked. After all, I'm grounded. "Is that so?"

"Yeah. They said you brought the house down. Also, you smell like cherry, pineapple, and is that wine?"

Woohyun stayed quiet, reflecting on the night and his drama with Sunggyu. Shut up, hyung. If Sunggyu didn't steal the money or leave work early, none of this would have ever happened

"You've succeeded in going where no other president of that school has gone before. Taking down your own school dance, that's pretty impressive." Boohyun walked forward to stand right next to Woohyun's drawer, observing the framed pictures there.

Woohyun had enough of Boohyun's teasing, swirling his chair around to confront his brother. "Hyung, why did you even hire Sunggyu at the restaurant?"

Boohyun was unprepared to talk about him. "Well, he wanted the job to help him grow as a person."

Woohyun shook his head. "That was a load of bull! How could you not see through that, especially you."

"During his interview process, I knew that he had a lot of potential waiting-"

Woohyun took his baseball mitt and threw it towards his wall. Any anger he had developed for Sunggyu ed into one moment, and Woohyun was furious. "Sunggyu smokes during the job, spills food, could care less about the customers! And on top of that, he..."

Woohyun's outburst took Boohyun aback. He realized he needed to take a deep breath and calm down, not wanting to blow up on his brother or wake his parents up for his issues. Woohyun wondered if he should tell Boohyun about Sunggyu stealing money or not helping him close the restaurant, but in the meantime he shut his mouth out of respect for his older brother. It would be rude of him to scold someone older than him. All Woohyun could do was cross his arms. He would discuss matters of stolen money with Boohyun later.

Boohyun knew that Woohyun was frustrated, especially because Sunggyu knew that he was not exactly doing a good job at the restaurant. He did not know much detail about Sunggyu's antics, but if his resume was any indication of the type of worker Sunggyu was, he had an idea of the havoc he was causing for Woohyun. 

At the corner of his eye, Boohyun noticed one of the pictures on his drawer. Fascinated by its existence, he picked it up to take a closer look of it. It was a typical picture of Woohyun with his friends. But there was something else in the picture that interested him, reaffirming for him that he made the right choice.

"Hyung, just tell me why you hired him," Woohyun whined, looking off to the side and outside his window.

Boohyun was confident. Jostling the picture frame in his hands. "Heads up."

Woohyun turned, and in the air was a frame that Boohyun threw at him. Woohyun caught it in front of his face, looking at its contents and observing it. His eyes shined, his body stimulated with a feeling of nostalgia looking at the picture. Woohyun looked at the picture intently.

Boohyun stood in his room. He watched as his brother indulged himself in the picture, the photo providing a weird charm to him. "I hired him because you and I both know that deep down inside, Sunggyu is a good kid."

Woohyun's eyes intensified, as if a memory struck his mind. He tried really hard to refuse his brother's words, but they held some sort of truth that could not be denied. 

Doing his part, Boohyun made his way towards the door to leave the room. The door creaked open, and he really reflected on whether hiring Sunggyu on that basis was a good idea in theory. He knew all the stories that Woohyun had been telling about Sunggyu since high school started; the way Sunggyu would act at Guk Pan with his friends, and without a doubt there was truth to the stories. He also believed Woohyun when he said that Sunggyu was a bad waiter. Even with that, he was still confident of his decision to hire Sunggyu at his restaurant. I know you're mad now, but it will take some time for Sunggyu to grow into this job.  "Woohyun."

Woohyun looked up, holding the picture in his hands.

Boohyun lowered his head. "Goodnight brother." 

The door closed.

Woohyun continued to hold the picture frame, frozen in his chair from his brother's words.

 


Hmm. What did Boohyun mean?

What are your predictions for the next chapter :D

 

Fanfic Soundtrack:

Dynamic Duo - BAAAM

Block B - Very Good