An Inconvenient Hell

Waiting for You

Sunggyu kept his eyes closed shut, unaware of any of his surroundings and afraid to open them to find out.

Maybe this is heaven.

All Sunggyu knew was that he was dead. His body felt no pain from the impact, as if he was only a soul.

Wait who am I kidding, I wouldn't be going to heaven.

Suddenly he felt a sharp pain on his forehead. He slowly reached his hand over with eyes closed, feeling a wet cut on his head with dried edges. He felt as something wet dripped down from his forehead, coming down his face till it dripped off his chin. 

Alright, time to get it over with. Maybe hell is nicer than I think.

Sunggyu got the courage to finally open his eyes, blinking them several times to regain his vision. In front of him, hell unfolded for himself. The car had completely crashed into an off-road tree, the hood of the car fallen off to the side. Smoke rose from the engine, blending in with the surrounding fog that already clouded his vision. In the background the car radio still played, and "Hurricane" was playing with a busted speaker from the accident. On his steering wheel was dripping blood from his forehead. 

Sunggyu's eyes widened, remembering that Hak Yeon and Hongbin were also in the car with him at the time of the accident. He looked at his rearview mirror to check the passenger seats, and the two of them were completely missing. The passenger doors were wide open, as if they had escaped while Sunggyu was in limbo. Sunggyu took a deep breath, trying to calm down in his own personal hell.

"The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire."

"SHUT UP B.A.P!" Sunggyu yelled at the top of his lungs, swinging his door open to escape the car and search around for Hak Yeon and Hongbin. When he finally started to move, Sunggyu felt more pain in his body from the accident. He ran along the highway, his head getting dizzy from his headache and the fog. He held his head with both hands, weaving his fingers through to look around at the barren area. The highway was still empty, and the car was totaled to nothing. 

Sunggyu squinted his eyes, walking back to the car to see if he left anything inside. He wanted to leave as fast as possible, never having been in a predicament of this scale in his life. He peaked inside and saw his phone on the dashboard, the glass screen cracked into pieces from flying through the accident. Sunggyu grabbed it, and exited the car.

To throw on the ground and scream out.

"DAMNIT, DAMNIT, DAMNIT!"

Sunggyu kicked the car, its flimsy body moving with each powerful kick.

"DAMNIT. DAMNIT. CAR. DAMNIT. DAMNIT."

Sunggyu kicked the car with each said word, expecting the inaminate object to answer back in reply and explain to him why it crashed into a tree. Sunggyu was delirious, kicking it until it dented the back. 

"Hey you!" 

A light shined through the fog, startling Sunggyu to a freeze. Sunggyu felt a cold sweat drip down the back of his neck, his foot in the air midkick. The light came closer and blinded him, putting his hand up for guard.

"Sunggyu, it's us!"

Sunggyu lowered his hand, recognizing the voice from the distance ahead. Two figures came out of the fog, one of them holding their cell phone out for light and the other clutching his chest. Out of the fog, Hak Yeon and Hongbin hurried to Sunggyu. "Hey!"

The two hurried towards Sunggyu frantically, short of any breath and still in shock from the accident. "We're near the river, we have to push this car in the river."

Sunggyu blinked his eyes, trying to comprehend everything that was going on. "What happened?"

"You drove this car off the ing highway and crashed it, that's what," Hongbin snarked.

Sunggyu took a glance at the car, its hood and windshield completely busted and broken. He looked back at Hak Yeon and Hongbin, knowing that there were going to be consequences for an unsucessfully taking them to their location. Let alone, there were going to be consequences for crashing this car. "Who's car is this?" Sunggyu asked.

Hak Yeon and Hongbin looked at each other, then back at Sunggyu. "It was stolen."

Of course it was ing stolen.

"Look, we don't have much time," Hak Yeon explained, desperately trying to get out of this situation. "The Han River is off of this freeway and the sun rises soon. We can push this into the river and get out of here." The both of them walked over to the car, Hongbin taking the hood as Hak Yeon hooked Sunggyu's arm to take him to the back. 

Sunggyu was speechless, thinking back to the series of events that happened before this catastrophe. Heading home to sleep, waking up at midnight from Hak Yeon's call, Hak Yeon and Hongbin waiting outside of his place, walking over to a car that Hongbin had the keys to, driving with them, stopping by Bonchon Chicken's drive-thru to get some food, leading off to driving on this highway, turning on the high beams, and finally crashing the stolen car off the highway. And now, Sunggyu had to help them push the car into the river. Anything that Sunggyu had achieved in the past on his list of terrible things had not even surpassed what just happened.

Well, at least I have my health.

And to end a dramatic night, the three of them veered the car off into the Han River and stood together as the clunk of metal sunk to its depths.

 

(((())))

 

"Please bow."

To end another day of homeroom, Woohyun led the class to respectfully greet their teacher goodbye. As Teacher Jung exited the room, the class proceeded to go about their usual ruckus and talk before the next period. Woohyun looked over his shoulder to the back of the class, noticing an empty seat right next to Myungsoo taken up by a backpack. Sunggyu's usual seat.

Woohyun let out a sigh and sat back down, not even bothering to try and figure out where the idiot was this time. That was the least of his concerns. "Hey Sungyeol," he called out, tapping on his shoulder of his best friend sitting in front of him.

Sungyeol turned around, his arms perched on Woohyun's desk. "What's up."

Woohyun grinned, reaching into his pocket to reveal two fresh baseball tickets. "4 tickets to watch the Doosan Bears in 2 weeks."

Sungyeol's eyes lit up, leaning over to snatch the tickets from Woohyun. "No way."

"Remember when I said that the baseball coach was trying to give them away because his daughter didn't want to go to the game?"

"You were the lucky winner?"

"Perks of being the captain," Woohyun smirked, leaning back in his seat and his lips. "I have 4 tickets though, so that means we have 2 to give away. If you want, you can ask her to come with."

Sungyeol blushed. "Then who would you take?"

Woohyun rolled his eyes to look up at the ceiling, hoping by some miracle an angel would appear out of nowhere and be his date to the baseball game. "To be determined."

And at that statement, through the doors walked in the most beautiful sight one could set their eyes on. Delicate, fine, pale skin. On their forehead was a lesion, complementing the features of their face. With their uniform completely ed and out of order, hair ruffled to a tee, and their jacket missing, it was as if this person was born to be a model. A fragrance of tobacco smoke acted as a perfume to bring out an aura of wonder. It was the heaven sent angel of Woohyun's dreams.

It was Kim Sunggyu.

"Fan-ing-tastic," Woohyun groaned.

But this time around, Sunggyu was not in any type of mood for insults. He was not in any type of mood to play silly games with Woohyun or anyone in the class. His body ached from the pain of the crash and his mind was worriedsome from thinking about the crash. Myungsoo stared at his friend, shocked at how terrible he looked. He moved his backpack out of the way, and almost immediately Sunggyu collapsed in the seat. He slammed his head on the desk, adding more pain to what he already felt. 

"Where the hell have you been?" Myungsoo inquired, laying his head on his own desk to lean in and listen to Sunggyu. 

Sunggyu stayed quiet, unsure of what Myungsoo had even said.

"Sunggyu, where were you?" Myungsoo badgered, concerned that he had shown up late to homeroom looking like he was mauled by a car. "You look like a car ran over you."

Sunggyu closed his eyes. That damn car. "I might as well have been ran over by a car."

"Mwo?"

"Myungsoo, a taxi just took me to school."

"A taxi? But why?" His friends simple answers alarmed him, growing concerned for him and shaking him up to get some answers. "A taxi took you here?"

"Yup. Me, Hak Yeon, and Hongbin." Sunggyu brought his arms on his desk to bury his face in, not wanting to talk about the situation any longer. 

"Am I gonna get anything else out of you right now?" Myungsoo complained.

"Nope." Sunggyu's voice muffled through his arms. He took a deep breath and tried to fall asleep. 

"You better wake up Sunggyu."

Sunggyu looked up momentarily and watched as the shadows of Woohyun and Sungyeol walked right passed him and Myungsoo. "Not in the mood Mr. President."

"Well you should be," Sungyeol retorted, exiting the class with Woohyun. He looked over his shoulder to make one lasting impression on Sunggyu. "The next class starts in 5 minutes."

As they left, Sunggyu's head dropped to the desk. Myungsoo felt bad for his friend, looking beaten up and kicked down by something. He rubbed Sunggyu's back in circles to try and comfort him. 

God I hate Woohyun.

 

(((())))

 

Ending another day of school, it was time for Sunggyu, Hoya, Myungsoo, and Sungjong to unwind with their regular group meal at Guk Pan. Walking in, the music was blasting B1A4's "Super Sonic" to set off the inviting atmosphere. Once again, they came at a time where the restaurant barely had people inside. Filing into the restaurant one-by-one, everyone caught sight of Woohyun's bent over the counter as he tried to reach for something. The four of them looked at each other in disgust as buns stuck out in his tight pair of skinny khaki pants, unsure how someone's could even breath in such a thing.

"Hey boy!" Hoya called out, taking a menu from the side and throwing it straight to Woohyun's cheeks like a frisbee. The menu bounced off perfectly like a basketball, startling Woohyun to stand up as he held a white poster in his hand.

"Watch it," Woohyun barked, turning around to see the four of them meddling around like usual. "Just... just take a seat." It was always the same type of thing whenever they walked into his brother's restaurant, and even after years of dealing with it Woohyun had yet to get used to it. 

At his request they went off to choose a table, picking one right in the middle of the restaurant. Woohyun crouched down to pick up the menu Hoya threw at him. He put his white poster under his armpit and took another set of three menus to hold in his hands, trying to balance out holding multiple things at once. He passed out each menu accordingly. "I'll be back," Woohyun commented, walking away to take care of some sort of business with his white poster.

The four of them took a look at their menus as if they were trying to discover something new. Even though the boys got the same exact thing during every visit to Guk Pan, they were always intrigued by the pictures of the different meats and toppings you can add into your meal. 

"So you crashed a stolen car and pushed it into the Han River?" Sungjong inquired, immersed in his menu.

"Basically," Sunggyu confirmed, letting out a sigh. "And I haven't seen Hak Yeon since."

"You're ed," Myungsoo said bluntly.

Sunggyu dropped his menu on the table, squinting his eyes to glare at Myungsoo. "Thanks a lot."

"You're welcome," Myungsoo smiled.

"I mean, it sounds like you got rid of the evidence. What's the worse that could happen?" Hoya asked.

As how every moment in his life happened, the worse would happen when you think it. Hak Yeon walked into the restaurant by himself, his emotions cold and his aura intimidating for anyone who walked in.

The door closed behind him, and he spotted Woohyun right in front of the host podium taping up the white poster he held. The poster had large red lettering on its front, bolded for people to see at any kind of distance. Hak Yeon glared at the sign as Woohyun finished up, standing up and getting up to his eye level. Between Hak Yeon and Sunggyu, Woohyun was wary about ever talking back to Hak Yeon. He had moments to stand up for himself whenever necessary, and even though he knew deep down inside Hak Yeon was nothing but talk, Woohyun knew that his connections could hurt him at any time. Woohyun took the liberty of trying to steer away from his path as much as possible, realizing what battles he can handle and not handle. "Hey Hak Yeon."

Hak Yeon was intrigued by the poster Woohyun had just posted up. "Hiring: Waiter?"

Woohyun nodded his head. "Yeah, my brother thinks that I need some help around here."

The four of them watched as Woohyun and Hak Yeon had their conversation, listening in on what they were talking about.

"Guk Pan is hiring a waiter?" Myungsoo questioned.

"At least I won't have to see Woohyun's ugly face anymore all the time," Sunggyu chuckled.

"I'm not here to eat. I just came to see them," Hak Yeon declared, point straight at Sunggyu's head.

"Go ahead." Woohyun stepped aside to let him walk by.

This was everything Sunggyu dreaded, feeling his heart stop at the sight of Hak Yeon walking over to his table. Hak Yeon grabbed a chair nearby and slid it hard to hit their table, twisting it around and sitting down right at the end of their table. Sunggyu took a nervous gulp, scratching the back of his neck and preparing himself for what would happen next. The four of them stayed quiet, anxiously awaiting on what their rival would have to say about Sunggyu's fate.

"I thought you said you knew how to drive a car," Hak Yeon started.

Sunggyu cracked his neck, feeling uneasy about everything. "I didn't know the weather would be that bad."

"Is that all you have to say right now?" Hak Yeon asked.

"Well what else do you want me to say?" Sunggyu barked, looking from side-to-side to make sure no other people inside the restaurant could hear what he was saying. He leaned over the table and motioned with his hand for everyone to move in closer to listen. "I thought the car was yours."

"I wouldn't do a dirty job with my own car."

"And how dirty was this job?" Sunggyu tried to inquire. After all of this time helping out Hak Yeon the night before and reflecting back all of today, Sunggyu had no idea what the two of them were up to that night. 

Hak Yeon leaned back in his seat, taking a deep breath. "We were going to make a delivery of 1,500,000 won."

Sunggyu's jaw dropped, as well as Hoya, Myungsoo, and Sungjong. In all his time driving the car, he had no idea that somewhere in the car was 1,500,000 won. "Where the hell was the money?"

"It was in the front seat, and while you were knocked out it caught on fire."

Sunggyu looked down at his menu, blinking his eyes several times trying to grasp everything he heard.

"So what do you want then?" Myungsoo asked.

Hak Yeon leaned over the table, clasping his hands together to lay down the news. "Sunggyu, you owe me 1,500,000 won."

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow. "You want me to pay you 1,500,000 won?"

"Did I stutter?"

"Why do you want Sunggyu to pay for it?" Sungjong asked. "Would that not be your problem?"

"Look." Hak Yeon cracked his knuckles before speaking. "You messed up my deal, so you get to solve my problems. And you don't want to know what will happen if you don't fulfill this."

Suddenly, Sunggyu all of a sudden felt relieved that those would be the consequences. Any threat that Hak Yeon tried to spew down had no effect on Sunggyu. His family was made of money, and any monetary value Hak Yeon wanted he could give him in less than a day. He was no longer worried about anything. 1,500,000 won? That's nothing. "I can get you that money easily," Sunggyu smirked confidently. 

And with the mood of their table lightening up, "An Inconvenient Truth" started to play through the restaurant speakers. Woohyun stepped up to their table, rolling his eyes with a pen and paper pad in hand. "The usual?"

 

(((())))

 

Sunggyu took the subway home that night, swinging his keys around his fingers as he approached his penthouse apartment. Humming the song for "An Inconvenient Truth", he unlocked the door and pushed it open with his shoulder, walking into his apartment with his parents sitting side-by-side on the living room couch in front of him. It was a rare occurrence for Sunggyu's parents to be home from work early into the night. Let alone, it was a rare occurrence for Sunggyu to even see his parents home period. Sunggyu shoved his keys down his pockets and took off his shoes, bowing before them. 

"Sunggyu," his dad started.

His voice was harsh, something Sunggyu only heard when he knew something had gone terribly wrong. Sure he was a bad kid at times, but he was unsure what this moment would be about specifically. "Dad."

"Why didn't you go to school today?" his mom asked sternly. 

Sunggyu felt a chill down his spine, shivering from the fear his parents were instilling. At home, he had never felt so scared by his parents, and that was because his parents were never around to begin with. He had no idea his parents were even aware of his status at school. Sunggyu took a nervous gulp and crossed his arms, staying quiet.

"We'll sit here until you talk," his dad declared.

What is going on right now? Sunggyu was frightened, his lower lip wavering from the fear of his dad's iron fist. He was always in control wherever he went. Well, everywhere but home. "I wasn't at school today cause I just ditched."

"We noticed." Sunggyu's mom stood up from the family couch and crossed her arms. "When I dropped by your school to drop off a check of donation, I tried to find you there."

Oh . Sunggyu bit his lip, knowing that he had been caught red-handed by his parents.

"And then we found out that you're not a very outstanding student," his dad continued.

This. This is hell right here. Sunggyu looked down at his feet, unable to look his parents in the eye.

"You look at me right now, son."

Her voice pierced his heart. Sunggyu closed his eyes shut, hoping by the time he opened them back up it would all be a dream. He slowly lifted his head and opened his eyes back up, staring straight into his mother's disappointed eyes. This was a look that Sunggyu had only seen several times in his life, and they were times where he deliberately acted like an idiot and did things that would hurt himself. This was one of those times. Sunggyu took a deep breath, feeling sorry for having hurt her the most. "Mom..."

"Until you start changing your attitude, we're cutting you off from any money allowance for the next half year," his dad affirmed.

"What?!" Sunggyu stomped on his living room floor, furious with his given punishment. He thoguht back to the amount of money he owed Hak Yeon, and how something like this would put him in a worse spot than he was at the moment. "Mom, dad, you don't understand. I..."

"And that means starting now!" his dad interrupted for the final time, his face devoid of any emotion or desire to continue on the conversation with his disobedient son.

Sunggyu clenched his fist and closed his eyes, trying hard not to burst in front of his parents for cutting him off of any monetary funding he was used to. He was frustrated, shaking his head and refusing that any of this was happening. After being caught for all of his past school activities, now he had to deal with the fact that he had a bounty on his head for 1,500,000 won that he was unable to pay for. Sunggyu looked up at his ceiling and contained any further complaints he had, knowing that none of it would cut with any of his parents. 

Unable to take anymore in, Sunggyu stormed off to his room silently.

 


 

Fanfic Soundtrack:

BAP - Hurricane

Infinite - An Inconvenient Truth