A Solution

Waiting for You

Myungsoo sat in homeroom, looking around the class to blankly stare at his classmates. Almost everyone was out of their desks to talk about insignifcant things, like their upcoming test, or the hottest scandal currently taking up newspapers and gossip websites. Myungsoo never understood that, rolling his eyes to the multiple conversations going on in the classroom. He ped his backpack and peaked inside to check his phone, hoping that he would have gotten a text from Sunggyu. No new texts.

"Hey Myungsoo."

Myungsoo turned around at the sound of his voice, completely startled at the sight of Sunggyu standing right behind him. In fact, everyone in the class was shocked to see Sunggyu long and behold in their homeroom. On time.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Myungsoo asked, clutching his chest as if he was going to have a heart attack. "Class hasn't even started yet!"

"Yeah, I know," Sunggyu sighed.

"And you..." Myungsoo squinted his eyes and scanned Sunggyu's whole body. Something was no right with the world. "And your outfit. You..." he stumbled on his words. "Sunggyu, you... look good."

There was something peculiar about Sunggyu that day, and the whole class was bewildered if there was some sort of weird force changing the physics of how life was supposed to be. Not only was Sunggyu in class 5 minutes before Teacher Jung would walk in, but his uniform was  ironed and buttoned up and his hair was neatly combed to what someone woull call perfect. Sunggyu looked great that day, and it was weird.

"Shut up," Sunggyu groaned, taking Myungsoo's backpack off his seat and taking his place in the classroom.

After settling it, he caught eye of everyone in class staring at him as if a wild animal had just walked into their classroom. And it might as well have been a wild animal, because this species was in no way the Kim Sunggyu that they knew.

"Stop looking at me!" Sunggyu yelled at everyone.

And at the sound of his fierce voice, everyone in class turned around to go about their normal business.

But even for Myungsoo, this was a puzzling situation for him. "Alright, spill it. What's going on?"

Sunggyu slumped in his chair, frustrated on all kinds of levels about the trouble he was in. "First of all, my parents know about me and my school habits."

"Ouch," Myungsoo responded, patting his friend on the shoulder. "I mean, it's not the worst thing that could happen."

"You're right, it's not the worst thing that could happen. Because the worst thing is that I'm cut off from any money for the next 6 months."

"Wait a minute." Myungsoo blinked, realizing what this all meant. "So you mean-"

"Yup. I have no idea how to pay Hak Yeon," Sunggyu admitted, his head falling on top of his desk in desperation. All of this really was Sunggyu's fault. Sunggyu had a poor attitude about school, had done some sketchy things, and crashed a car. By the laws of karma, he deserved everything coming to him. But by the laws of Sunggyu... I'm fantastic, and these things don't happen to someone like me! "I'm going to tell Hak Yeon today, but so far I have no idea where I'm going to get the money."

Woohyun and Sungyeol walked into class together a minute before class started, laughing about a joke Sungyeol told in the hallway. Both of their laughs were significantly distinct, alarming everyone that the class president and future doctor of Seoul were about to grace their presence. Everyone admired the people that Woohyun and Sungyeol were, friendly yet hardworking in everything they did. The two walked in without a worry in the world, but their laughters simmered down at the sight of something odd. Something different about their class. Something that seemed almost unacceptable.

"Sunggyu, you're here on time?" Woohyun gasped.

"Why is everyone so surprised?" Sunggyu whined, slamming his hands on his desk.

"Well, you're never here on time. Or never here at all," Sungyeol commented, his jaw dropped at the wonder of Sunggyu actually looking like a decent student.

"I can come on time whenever I want!" Sunggyu turned around to yell at them. "I mean, I was even here before you Mr. President. What does that say?"

"That doesn't say a single thing," Woohyun snided, still perturbed that Sunggyu was even at homeroom. Something has got to be going on

At that moment, Teacher Jung walked into her homeroom class to greet everyone. With a briefcase in hand and a stack full of papers in the other, she neatly placed everything on her desk. Woohyun and Sungyeol were still standing in the back of the classroom, the both of them rushing to their seats to get ready for the presidential greet.

"Please bow," Woohyun announced out of breath, barely making it on time to pay respect. Everyone greeted their teacher for the morning.

"Thank you class," she said, still looking down at her desk. "Today we have to go over some logistical things about..." Teacher Jung looked up to see her class and noticed that Sunggyu was sitting at his desk, calm in manner waiting for homeroom to start. Taken aback, Teacher Jung jumped a little from seeing him there. "Kim Sunggyu, thank you for attending class today."

Sunggyu nodded his head. He gave out a charming smile, as if today was a normal day. "It is of utmost importance that I respect my felllow students and teacher by attending each class on time."

Woohyun felt like he was going to throw up. "Give me a break."

 

 (((())))

 

At the start of lunch, Sunggyu went to his locker to get his books ready for the next class before heading out to the cafeteria. Acting like a good student, Sunggyu even shocked himself on how obedient he was. There was still one small detail that that had yet to be figured out, and that was how he was going to get Hak Yeon the money he needed. Placing the last of his books into his backpack, Sunggyu let out a disappointing sigh at the events that unfolded this week. 

Sunggyu closed his locker, and hiding right behind it was no other than Hak Yeon.

"God damnit," Sunggyu screamed, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath as he frightened him.

Hak Yeon leaned against the locker next to him, smiling smugly at Sunggyu. "How's it going?"

"It's going good, but then you scared the out of me."

Sungyeol approached his locker, which was a few doors away from Sunggyu. He saw them talking at the corner of his eye, knowing that whenever the two of them had a conversation with each other it meant something serious. He unlocked the padlock, snapping down for the door to swing open and continue on with his regular task.

"Are you going to pay me?" Hak Yeon got right into business, raising an eyebrow.

Sunggyu took a deep breath. "I need more time."

"More time?" Hak Yeon was displeased, leaning in closer to Sunggyu for their noses to touch. He looked from side-to-side to make sure no one was listening to them. He placed a hand on the locker behind Sunggyu and grunted. "What ever happened to, 'I can get you the money easily'?"

Sungyeol overheard their conversation and was intrigued, leaning against his locker door to listen.

"My money source got cut, and I need more time," Sunggyu affirmed, showing no fear. "Simple as that."

Hak Yeon closed his eyes, furrowing his eyebrows in a little frustration. It was without a doubt that he preferred the money now, letting out a disgruntled mumble. He could very well show Sunggyu off and fight him now, but in the middle of the hallway he did not want to promote any violence to any other student or teacher around them. Hak Yeon slammed his fist into the locker and backed away, pointing back at Sunggyu. "Get me that money as soon as possible," he declared, backing up to turn around and walk down the hallway.

Sunggyu let out a sigh of relief, knowing that it was not the end of the world. Not just yet. He ped his backpack and walked in the opposite direction, trying to figure out a backup plan to his immediate struggle.

As Sunggyu passed by Sungyeol, Sungyeol backed away from his locker as if nothing had happened. He closed his locker door and ped his own backpack before he set off to go get lunch.

 

(((())))

 

Sunggyu sulked as he walked with his friends to Guk Pan, all morale he ever had disappearing right before his eyes. He got himself into a deep rut that was practically insurmountable, and quite frankly he figured he was better off dying now before he even tried to solve his problems.

"Are you really going to go out with your brothers this weekend?" Sungjong complained, kicking a rock that he saw in his path.

"I have to, we haven't hung out in a really long time," Hoya explained. "Also, it's my brother's birthday!"

"But you said you were going to go to the dance with us. Now it's going to be weird. It's not like we can dance," Myungsoo joined in.

"Guys." Sunggyu walked ahead to stand in front of his friends and stop them in front of Guk Pan. Sunggyu looked down at his shoes, feeling faint and nearly feeling like giving up. "I'm so ed."

Hoya, Myungsoo, and Sungjong looked at each other, letting out a sigh in unison. "Pretty much."

Sunggyu squinted his eyes, glaring at his so-called friends. "Gee, well thanks!"

Myungsoo stepped forward. "I mean, there are other ways you can get the money."

"I thought you knew what your parents' cards were?" Hoya questioned, remembering a time in which Sunggyu used his dad's credit card.

"All of that, gone," Sunggyu moaned, rubbing his head in frustration.

"Come on, don't lose hope now." Sungjong stepped forward to wrap his arm around his friend. "Soon enough, there will be a blessing in disguise when you least expect it."

Woohyun opened the door from the inside of Guk Pan, already set in uniform and ready to sit them inside. He had been watching the four of them from outside the window for a while, and he was surprised by how long they were taking to come inside. "Are you guys gonna come in or what?" Woohyun taunted.

Sunggyu shrugged Sungjong's arm off of him. "Some blessing," he mumbled. He turned to look at Woohyun, always a little more angry whenever he was around. "Coming dear," he grumbled, shoving his shoulder into Woohyun before walking in.

Woohyun bit his lip and rolled his eyes, watching as Hoya was the last person to come into the restaurant before closing its doors. This was nothing new to him. He followed the four of them as they took a table near the entrance, grabbing onto a couple of menus to pass around to drop on their table. "I'll be back with water," Woohyun promised, walking away to the water dispenser.

Sunggyu looked at his menu, hoping the answers to his problems would somehow be embedded into the multitude of pictures. He needed something to help cheer him up.

"Maybe you should get a job somewhere," Myungsoo suggested, staring at a picture of hard boiled eggs. 

Sunggyu looked up at everyone, too busy staring at their menus to pay attention to him. "I've never worked a job in my life."

"Well, new experiences," Hoya commented, turning a page of his menu. "That's how we grow as people."

"Are you kidding me right now?" Sunggyu sure as hell did not want to grow as a person by working a lowly job, even though he knew he was a very lowly person. Everything always worked out for Sunggyu, and he had yet to accept the fact that things ended badly this time around. He was too prideful to do that. "You grow as a person by drinking milk, not by getting a job."

"I don't know, maybe you should get a job," Woohyun joined in, placing four glasses of water onto the table before walking away. "Better than playing around with idiots all day," he said, loud enough for them to hear.

Sunggyu groaned. "Who does Woohyun think he is, acting like he's all better than me?" Sunggyu threw his menu in the middle of the table and slammed the table with a fist. "I'm a perfectly fine human being!"

"Well..." Sungjong started, shutting his mouth before continuing.

"Shut up Sungjong!" Sunggyu yelled, burying his head in his face in resentment. God, I really do . All Sunggyu wanted was an answer. A solution.

And he may have found one.

"The same orders again?" Woohyun asked, coming back to the table with his pencil and paper pad.

In between the cracks of Sunggyu's fingers, he spotted the same sign that Woohyun posted before. Its beauty compelling to Sunggyu's eyes. It was the same white poster that Woohyun was holding, and in bright red lettering was the answer that Sunggyu needed to all of his problems.

Hiring: Waiter.

"Hey."

Woohyun snapped his fingers in front of Sunggyu, waiting for him to answer. Sunggyu stopped his blank gaze and looked up at Woohyun taking his order.

"Do you want your regular bowl of ox tail soup with cabbage?" Woohyun repeated.

Sunggyu suddenly felt invigorated with hope and passion, unlike 2 minutes before. He beamed an evil grin at Woohyun and stood up from his seat. "No. I want a bowl of rice cake soup," he declared.

Woohyun nodded his head, writing down a new order than he normally did. "Wow."

"And a job here," Sunggyu finished.

Hoya and Sungjong spit out their water and almost choked from hearing Sunggyu speak. Myungsoo's jaw dropped, in completely shock of Sunggyu's sudden venture to get a job at Guk Pan.

Leaving Woohyun in shock, he dropped both his pen and paper to the floor. Woohyun blinked a few times, opening and closing his mouth trying to comprehend what Sunggyu just asked for. He was in utter disbelief, refusing to accept what Sunggyu spoke. "What?"

Sunggyu gulped, nodding his head. "I'm applying to be a waiter."

 

(((())))

 

Woohyun's brother Boohyun, the head chef of the restaurant, sat down with Sunggyu the next day, taking one of the tables at the corner of the restaurant after closing for the night. Sunggyu sat across from him with his hands clasped, wearing a buttoned-up Oxford shirt with a tie and dark jeans. He slicked his hair to the side especially for this night, desperately wanting the job. He had never tried so hard to look good.

Boohyun inspected every line of his resume, which Sunggyu rushed a few hours before their interview had started. Lucky for Sunggyu it only took him about 10 minutes to make one, especially since Sunggyu barely had any kind of leadership experince to put on it. Sunggyu did not even bother to proofread anything he placed on it. Needless to say, Boohyun thought it was the worst resume he had ever seen in his life. This guy spelled his name wrongKi Suggyu.

Sunggyu grinned from across the table, trying to make himself look presentable in front of him.

On the side, Woohyun sat on top of the counter playing around with his phone. He was looking up sports scores and listened in on Sunggyu's interview as it occurred, confident that not for one second Sunggyu would get the job.

Boohyun finally looked up at Sunggyu and dropped the resume on the table. "So your only leadership experience was being the lead vocal in the school choir."

Sunggyu nodded his head. "Yes."

"For 2 months?" Boohyun questioned.

"I didn't like the choir teacher," Sunggyu shrugged. How long is this interview?

Woohyun snickered to himself. What an idiot

"And then you were the pitcher of your middle school baseball team."

Sunggyu nodded again. 

"You stopped playing baseball when you got to high school?" Boohyun asked.

Sunggyu did not know how to explain that story. "I guess, I got bored?"

Woohyun looked up when Sunggyu started talking about the middle school baseball team, a little curious and unexpected that Sunggyu would put that on his resume.

Boohyun nodded his head, not yet convinced that the job was right for him. From Sunggyu's resume and the stories that Woohyun had told about he was a little wary of hiring someone like him for a demanding job. Yet, he was a little interested in the fact that he would apply in the first place. After all, Sunggyu was a regular customer of his restaurant. "Sunggyu, why exactly are you applying for this job?"

Yeah Sunggyu, why are you applying for this job? Woohyun thought to himself.

Because I need the money or else I'm gonna get my beat, that's why. Sunggyu took a nervous gulp, hoping that somehow the answer he would spit out would be a good one. "I know that I'm not exactly a good kid, and I know that my resume doesn't exactly show that I'm committed to my activities either, but there's something I do know. And it's that I think that I've sat around for too long doing nothing, and I want to be able to challenge myself and stimulate my problem solving skills into a job that will not only help me raise money for school and typical everyday activities, but a job that will help me grow as a person."

Woohyun's eyes widened. That was the worst bull I've ever heard

Sunggyu nodded his head to confirm his answer. That was the best bull I've ever made up.

Boohyun took in what Sunggyu said and stayed silent for a little bit to reflect on his answers and decide if he would get the job. In making a decision of his future in those long seconds, Sunggyu felt his heart beat faster.

The long pause scared Sunggyu a bit, but Boohyun finally made a movement by sticking his hand out to him for a handshake. "You're hired."

"He's what?!"

"I'm what?!"

"Welcome to the Guk Pan team," Boohyun smiled. Sunggyu reluctantly stuck his hand out as Boohyun grabbed it for a firm handshake before he got out from his seat. "I'll be expecting you tomorrow. And since you go to the same school as Woohyun, I'll be expecting the both of you in around 5 o' clock."

Sunggyu shot up from his seat, ecstatic that he was given the chance. And he could give no thanks to anyone else but the bull he pulled out of his . This was the answer to all of his problems. "Yes sir."

Woohyun climbed down from the kitchen counter, walking towards the two of them in distraught. After every story he ever told his brother about Sunggyu, after Boohyun knowing what Sunggyu was capable of, he still got the job. "Are you kidding me right now?! Hyung, you hired him?"

"Yes Woohyun, I'm hired." Sunggyu smirked, walking over Woohyun to wrap his hand around his shoulder. He pulled Woohyun close to his head much to his disgust and put on a fake smile from ear-to-ear. Woohyun also tried to put on a fake smile, not wanting to fight in front of his brother with the school bad boy. Deep down inside, Woohyun wanted to do nothing but flip Sunggyu over and choke him. He kept on the act, and Sunggyu pinched Woohyun's cheek much to his annoyance."We're going to be coworkers!"