The Crane

Waiting for You

Sunggyu had his eyes clothes, finally regaining the consciousness he lost for some time. A cool sensation eased the tension in his forehead.

This feeling. I think I'm dead. 

The last thing Sunggyu remembered was free falling to what felt like his death. His lifeless body lay on something cold.

Where am I? This doesn't feel like heaven or hell

The frigid surface pressed against his skin, sending shivers down his spine. Something dripped down from his forehead to his hair, but it did not feel like sweat. Sunggyu grew uncomfortable when a chilly breeze came from above, the temperature almost too cold for him.

What the hell! Do dead people go to Antarctica or something?!

Sunggyu opened his eyes and awoke to the likings of Woohyun crouching over him and breathing heavily. "Holy !" he screamed, sitting straight up and bumping heads with Woohyun to knock him over to the ground.

"You ing bastard!" Woohyun moaned, scrunching his face and rubbing his forehead in circles from the impact. 

The two of them were in the corner of Guk Pan's kitchen. Sunggyu was sitting on top of a row of metal chest freezers. Woohyun was sprawled on the floor, still hurting from Sunggyu's surprise headbutt. Sunggyu had no idea how he got to where he was, scratching his eye and collecting any previous thoughts before waking up on top of the freezer. He felt something cold on top of his head, pulling it off and discovering a soaked rag had been placed on his forehead. Sunggyu scrunched up the rag into a ball and held it in a fist, hugging his knees and looking down at his shoes. "Why am I here?"

"I carried you here," Woohyun answered, pushing himself off the floor and getting over the pain in his head. 

"You what?" Sunggyu was baffled. "You carried me?"

"Yeah, after you knocked out unconscious for 10 minutes!"

Sunggyu's eyes widened. "I what?"

Woohyun was exasperated, sliding his own hand down his face from forehead to his lips. "I tried waking you up in so many ways."

"How did this all happen?" 

The moment was traumatizing. Woohyun did everything he could to wake him up so he did not have to call his brother or an ambulance. He used his fingers to count off every little thing he did to get Sunggyu back to normal.  "I slapped you, I punched you in the stomach, I sat on you, I spilled water on you..."

"Well , anything else on your 'How to Torture Sunggyu' list??" Sunggyu snarled, turning his body and sitting on the edge of the freezer.

"I also poked you with chopsticks," Woohyun smirked.

"Lovely."

"After that failed, I piggybacked you here and lay you down on top of the freezer." Woohyun's words ran fast. Everything happened quickly. Woohyun barely had any time to breath, but he could finally relax a little bit knowing that Sunggyu was alive. "Thankfully, you woke up."

Oh my god. Sunggyu started piecing things from his memory back together. The last thing he remembered now was the second before landing on the tiled floor, banging his head on the hard ground while holding onto a mop. There was only one little detail. "How did I fall off from the counter?"

You fell off singing like an idiot! Woohyun shook his head. "Don't play around right now!"

Sunggyu scratched his head. "No really, what happened?"

Woohyun bit his lip, hesitating to bring up the fact that Sunggyu took the restaurant mop and started an impromptu jazz show on top of the counter. "Do you really not remember?"

"No I don't!" Sunggyu jumped off the freezer and shoved the rag into Woohyun's chest, creeping extra close to Woohyun to get in his face. "What happened Woohyun?"

Woohyun looked sternly into Sunggyu's eyes, almost as if Sunggyu was going to kill him right in the kitchen. And he thought back to the song, and how unexpected it was.

And how much fun he had.

Sunggyu doesn't remember a thing, and maybe it should stay that way. For both of their sanities, Woohyun opted to stick to their promise of continuing to interact on a one-word basis at work and school. It would cause less problems for them in the long run. "You were trying to fix a broken ceiling tile with a mop, and you fell off! You really don't remember that?" Woohyun chose his words wisely, speaking as if it was a "duh" matter-of-fact.

Sunggyu took a step away from Woohyun. His hair was soaking wet from the rag, and some water dripped off his bangs to land on his lips. Sunggyu was done for the day. He shoved his shoulder into Woohyun and went on his way to leave the restaurant. At this point it was almost close to 10 o'clock in the evening, and Sunggyu was tired. "I'm leaving," he yelled without looking back.

Woohyun crossed his arms. Right now? You were practically in a coma! "Aren't you going to wait or something till your mind is ready? Let alone, are you going to thank me for saving your life, ?!"

Sunggyu paused before he opened the door. "No," he snickered, and exited out.

Woohyun's jaw dropped, rubbing his hair with his hands from the annoyance named Kim Sunggyu. He needed to vent, and the unfortunate victim was the chest freezer. Woohyun screamed and kicked the refridgerator repeatedly until he felt satisfied. Which was not for another 30 seconds. Sunggyu's incompetence was enough for him to completely forget the moment that they shared singing. It was back to the same old feelings he had about Sunggyu since the beginning of time. "Unbelievable!" he screamed. 

Sunggyu was collected leaving the restaurant, his hands shoved down his pockets as he rammed the glass doors open to the beauty outside he was deprived of for 8 hours. Sunggyu took a deep breath, inhaling through his nose and exhaling out of his mouth to soak in the wonderous beauty of the fresh spring air.

The streets were empty.

Work was finally over.

"!" Sunggyu suddenly shouted at the top of his lungs.

He tore his apron off his neck and threw it on the ground, stomping on it viciously and jumping up and down to show it right.

"DAMNIT. DAMNIT. WOOHYUN. THAT. SONG!"

Sunggyu remembered in great detail why he fell off the restaurant counter that night, and he almost felt ashamed that it happened. The song finished playing, and he took one look at Woohyun before tripping off and falling to his temporary comotose. As much as Sunggyu did not want to admit it, this was the first time in a very long time that him and Woohyun connected.

Sunggyu hated it.

"DAMNIT!"

Sunggyu kicked the apron down the street to go to his subway station, continuing to yammer slurs about Woohyun on his way home.

 

(((())))

 

"That's a very ambitious venture," Woohyun declared, leaning in his chair at the end of the table. He twirled his pen between his fingers, waiting for the rebuttal. 

"There is a good amount of money in our budget right now to add rides to the school fair. We always have booths, but maybe not exciting enough." Yoon Bomi sat at the other end of the table and stared straight at Woohyun's eyes, almost teasing him with her delicate eyes.

Not this again. Woohyun bit the tip of his pen. "Hayoung, how much money do we have in our budget right now to rent out rides?"

Hayoung searched on her computer through different types of spreadsheets to calculate the budget. "Let's see. We have 500,000 won extra for the school fair."

"What if we also have a school fundraiser? And any profit for that could go for rides at the school fair," Bomi suggested, persistent in her pursuit to add rides to the school fair.

Woohyun his lips, pondering the idea of potentially adding more things to an already abundant fair. "So if we do add a ferris wheel or something, where are we going to put it?"

Meetings happened every Wendesday. The next order of business for the student council was the school's annual fair, taking place in the courtyard and parking lot. Bomi, the school vice president, was always the dreamer and wanted everything to be extravagantly decorated and designed for limitless possibilities. Woohyun never understood that and juxtaposed her, playing the devil's advocate in every situation. The school fair was approaching in 6 weeks, and the planning was on its way.

"May I offer a suggestion?"

Everyone looked towards the side of the table at a fellow with pink hair, leaning back in his seat with his hands clasped on his lap.

"Yes Dongwoo?"

Woohyun and Hayoung asked Dongwoo if he wanted to come sit in their student council meeting for the week. Dongwoo expressed a lot of leadership ability helping out at the school dance, and he even told Woohyun that next year he as considering running for class president. Dongwoo leaned over the table and flashed a smile. "If all of the booths went into the courtyard, we can put a few rides in the parking lot. As for fundraising, Woohyun you work at a restaurant maybe? What if we had a fundraiser there, and a percentage of it went to the fair?"

Bomi's eyes lit up. "That's a perfect idea! Woohyun, what do you think?"

A fundraiser at Boohyun's place? That's not a bad idea at all

The bell rang for the end of club meetings. 

Woohyun got up from his seat to close things up. "I will go ask my brother today, and I'm sure he'll say yes. I'll get back to everyone next week!"

Following him, everyone got up from their seats to leave the meeting room. Staying behind were Dongwoo, Woohyun, and Hayoung.

"That was really impressive Dongwoo," Woohyun complimented, patting Dongwoo's shoulder. "You had a lot of good ideas today."

Dongwoo blushed. "It's nothing."

"No, that was great! You're welcome to sit through any meeting of ours in the future." Hayoung elbowed Woohyun on his side. "Right Woohyun?"

"No, of course! Let me know when you want to come!" Woohyun encouraged. "Especially for the fair planning."

"I'll consider it, but I think next week I'm going to check out the breakdancing club too." Dongwoo had a lot of things he wanted to accomplish on campus. Only a few weeks in, and Dongwoo was acquainting himself with everyone and everything at school. More than anything, Dongwoo wanted to make a new name for himself instead of the typical "pink-haired new kid". 

"Fine with me. Anyways, let's leave." Woohyun pointed towards the door, leading the three of them out.

Dongwoo swung it open, but then came a loud thump from behind the door. 

"OW!"

Dongwoo slid past the door to see who he accidentally hit. It was Sungyeol, who was crouched down on the floor holding his head and trying to find his glasses that flew off from the impact. "Sungyeol!" he panicked.

Woohyun and Hayoung ran out to find their friend near collapsing to the floor. Woohyun hooked his arm with Sungyeol's and pulled him off the ground. He dealt with a situation similar with Sunggyu, and he was not about to relive the moment again. "Are you ok?"

Hayoung helped out and picked up his glasses to gently place back onto Sungyeol's face. Her wrist brushed off his cheek, the gentle touch curing him and making him tremble in pleasure. A sensation ran through Sungyeol's whole body, and the throbbing pain in his head had completely disappeared. 

Sungyeol blinked his eyes several times, leaning against the wall to keep his balance. "Yeah. I'm ok."

"I had no idea you were waiting there, can you forgive me?" Dongwoo pleaded, stressing himself and pacing back in forth. He was worried he had done serious head damage.

"I'm ok Dongwoo, that's ok! I shouldn't have been standing there." Sungyeol wiggled Woohyun's arm off him. "I was waiting for you guys, and I guess I spaced out."

"Good," Woohyun smiled. I am not dealing with two concussions in one week

"Sungyeol, can I talk to you for a little bit?" Hayoung asked, a faint smile painted on her face.

"You want to talk to me?" Sungyeol's eyes sparkled.

"Dongwoo, I want to talk to you too!" Woohyun laughed, winking cheesily across to Dongwoo. I don't really want to talk to you, but Sungyeol and Hayoung want to talk to each other.

"What?" Dongwoo was almost frightened by how ugly Woohyun was winking at him. Are you trying to flirt with... Dongwoo realized what he was doing. "OH, yes. About that thing!"

"What are you talking to Dongwoo about?" Sungyeol wondered, scratching his head.

"Oh you know," Dongwoo laughed nervously. "That thing about the one time we did that thing at the mall... let's go!" He had no other lies he could tell. Dongwoo lurched forward and pushed Woohyun down the hallway to escape the awkwardness he caused them. As they went on their way, Dongwoo turned his head for one last glimpse at Sungyeol, who was standing tensely around Hayoung.

"What's up?" Sungyeol asked. He was unsure of what Hayoung would talk to him about, if it was something great or something terrible.

Hayoung bit her lip, her expression regretful in what she was about to say next. She had her hands behind her back, swaying from side-to-side and also looking down at her own shoes to avoid any eye contact with Sungyeol. "I can't go to the baseball game this Saturday with you."

Sungyeol looked up, his eyes dulled in solemnity. "Really?" His voice cracked, the disappointment in his voice disheartening.

"I didn't know it was my grandma's birthday, so now I need to go to Ulsan for the weekend." Hayoung sighed, shaking her head.

Sungyeol was really excited to go to the baseball game with her. After going to the museum the weekend before, he broke out the question to watch with him and Woohyun. Their date went really well, and at one point when Hayoung was cold she grabbed onto Sungyeol's arm and held it tightly. Sungyeol was flattered, a little bit of him almost falling for her. He was still unsure if he really liked Hayoung as a crush, but he thought this baseball game would seal the deal. 

"I'm really sorry Sungyeol."

"No, don't be!" Sungyeol held onto Hayoung's shoulders and smiled at her, shaking off any sadness he had. I don't think this is the end of the world. "We'll hang out next week. Not a big deal!"

"Are you sure?" Hayong was a grateful that he was so understanding. After all, that was what she liked the most about Sungyeol.

Sungyeol nodded his head. "Yeah. I'll ask someone else to go to the game with me!"

 

(((())))

 

It was a surprisingly busy day for Guk Pan, especially for a Wednesday. After work, a slew of businessmen and families came in together for the dinner rush. It was a good day for bustling business, and the place was racking in a lot of revenue.

Things had gone back to normal between Sunggyu and Woohyun. The two of them barely talked on shift, and if it happened it was a type of order or some witty banter. They did their best to block any kind of memory from last Saturday out of their minds, the insults getting extra creative with each other to emphasize their loathing for each other. Neither one of them wanted to admit that their karaoke moment was one of the best shifts they had together, let alone a good time hanging out. It was a day they both wanted to forget.

But maybe they were trying a little too hard to forget it.

"When are these people going to leave," Sunggyu muttered to himself, typing in an order on the cash register.

Woohyun was stacking bowls to the side and sorting out utensils for customers. "These people are giving you the money to pay back your car accident, so quit complaining at get to work," he barked. 

You think you're so cool Woohyun. "I am doing my work, I'm entitled to complain whenever I want."

You're entitled to complain, unless I tell you not to. "Clearly. Everything with you has been a complaint since day one."

"Why are you talking to me anyways?"

"You started the conversation first, . Just get back to work and punch in your order." Woohyun was beyond irritated, grabbing a bowl and slamming it on top of the stack. The crash echoed through the restaurant and different people started to look at them.

Boohyun pushed the doors open and caught Sunggyu and Woohyun staring at each other intensely. He knew an argument had went on, and he had to break the ice and keep his workers in check. "Hey, are you doing alright?"

Sunggyu and Woohyun tensed up as Boohyun entered their peripherals, resorting to them going back into their tasks like nothing happened. 

"Everything is going great," Sunggyu smiled, waiting for a receipt to print.

"We're fine hyung," Woohyun assured.

Boohyun kept a stern face and nodded his head, retreating back into the kitchen to get back to work.

The receipt finished printing and creased at the slit. Sunggyu tore it off to give to a family, watching at the corner of his eye for Boohyun to leave. As the doors closed behind him, Sunggyu kicked Woohyun in the knee and ran away snickering.

Woohyun collapsed, banging his chin on the counter before he flailed to the floor. He was kneeling on the ground, holding the edge with his hands to pull himself back up. His eyes squinted behind the counter to watch Sunggyu walk away. Sunggyu walked away cunningly, holding the receipt in his hand as if nothing happened. That bastard!

"Here you go, sir." Sunggyu passed along the receipt to a family of three: a dad with two daughters. The dad took out his wallet to pay, while his daughters were messing around with the napkins and folded it into different kinds of shapes. Sunggyu flashed a forced smile. "Is there anything else I can get for you?"

"That's ok, thank you very much," the dad said politely.

Sunggyu bowed, getting ready to leave their table.

"No, you're doing it wrong!" one of the girls said, tugging on one of the napkin they were playing with. "That's not how you fold a crane."

"Yes it is, why don't you believe me?" the other one whined, poking her sister with a chopstick.

"Girls, please stop fighting in the middle of the restaurant," the dad demanded.

"Give me that napkin."

The family turned and much to their surprise, Sunggyu took the napkin away from one of the daughters without any kind of permission and folded it into a square. He his lips, carefully folding the edges of the napkin to crease into a triangle. How do I fold a paper crane again...

Woohyun watched from the sidelines intriguingly, his head barely peeking out of the counter to see what Sunggyu was doing. 

"Then you do this." Sunggyu folded back one of the corners, and in a matter of seconds he completed a napkin crane. "And this is how you make a crane." He passed the crane along to one of the daughters, pulling back on its tail to move the head back and forth in animation. 

The daughters fawned over the crane's majesty, pulling on both ends to watch it move just like Sunggyu demonstrated. The dad was shocked and almost satisfied, accepting of Sunggyu's kind task. "Thank you sir. My daughters love it."

Woohyun stood up behind the counter, amazed by what he just saw Sunggyu do to help the daughter. The kind act touched his heart, never thinking there would ever be a day when Sunggyu did something like that. It all came as a surprise, and it brought back memories to last Saturday night. No matter how much Woohyun tried to deny it, he really liked this side of Sunggyu.

It really wasn't nothing. Your daughter was being annoying as hell so I helped. Sunggyu brushed the moment to the side like it was not a big deal, but a little part of him in his heart also enjoyed it. He let out a smirk and walked away from the family without saying another word.

 

(((())))

 

Dongwoo sat at a picnic table by himself Friday afternoon, attempting to scarf down a bowl of bibimbap and fish cake while he whipped through an American sports magazine. He awed in the colorful pictures of different sports for the springtime, bringing back memories of when he lived in New York. It was one of the last magazines he bought before he flew to Korea, feeling a little homesick in the country he was born in. He took another bite of his bibimbap, struggling to use chopsticks and dropping every noodle and shredded vegetables back into his bowl. Times like these, I really want a burger.

"Hey Dongwoo!" Sungyeol walked over to Dongwoo's table and placed his tray down. "How's your day going?"

"Oh, Sungyeol!" Dongwoo successfully picked up a good amount of bibimbap. "Lunch is really good today," he smiled, opening his mouth to place his chopsticks inside. He on the metal, puckering his lips in confusion because he did not taste any of the noodle goodness. Lowering his eyes, he saw the bite of bibimbap that was supposed to be in his mouth sitting on his lap.

Sungyeol laughed, unwrapping his pair of chopsticks. "Not used to chopsticks, yet?"

Dongwoo removed the chopsticks out of his mouth, dropping them into his bowl and pouting. "Can I have a fork or something?"

"You'll get used to it." Sungyeol munched on a piece of fish cake when he noticed the magazine in front of Dongwoo. "What is that?" he pointed with his chopsticks.

"This?" Dongwoo pushed the magazine across the table and turned a page. "This is an American magazine called Sports Illustrated. It showcases sports in America weekly."

"So this is what's going on this week in America?"

"Not really," Dongwoo chuckled. "This magazine is a couple weeks old. I'm looking at it for fun."

Sungyeol looked through the page Dongwoo turned for him. It was an article about the New York Yankees and their rivalry with a team called the Boston Red Sox. All of this was unknown territory for Sungyeol, but he was curious of what it all meant. "New York Yankees make their way to the top," Sungyeol read the title slowly in English, making sure he pronounced each letter correctly. "And Boston Red..."

"Sox," Dongwoo repeated the work back to him.

"Sox," Sungyeol said with much conviction.

"It's a weird word." 

"Kind of." Sungyeol giggled, taking another bite of fish cake. "Do you miss America sometimes?"

"Definitely." Dongwoo took a deep breath. When it came to America, he could talk for days about every little thing it had to offer. "I miss watching baseball games a lot. I had some good friends there that would go to the games with me, but it's hard to keep up with all of them on Facebook because the times are different. There were all kinds of food there! And I ate majority of them with forks and spoons. My favorite dish was this noodle dish called fetuccine alfredo, and it is Italian with cheese sauce. It was really tasty and I always got full from eating it. I also miss some of the places in New York. There is a really cool statue there called the Statue of Liberty, and it's a green statue of a lady in the middle of the water."

"I read about that before!" Sungyeol exclaimed. "She is holding a torch."

"Exactly! I miss it there, but I am trying to get used to Korea. I also missed Korea for the past 5 years, so I'm glad to be catching up with everything."

Sungyeol saw in Dongwoo's eyes how passionate he was when he talked about something he cared about, and it was a really attractive quality that he liked. He felt sorry for Dongwoo because of his move to Korea, but at the same time he liked how enthusiastic he was about learning about being involved back home. His personality was something Sungyeol really liked, and he wanted to help him adjust to his new home. "Did you say you miss watching baseball games?"

"Definitely," Dongwoo answered meekly. He picked up his chopsticks to restart his lunch, but failed once again at picking up his bibimbap.

You're really funny, it's so easy to use chopsticks! "Woohyun and I are watching a baseball game tomorrow and we have 4 tickets. I'm bringing someone and he's bringing someone. Hayoung can't go anymore, and you should have my other ticket!" Sungyeol suggested.

"Really? Don't mess with me!" Dongwoo's eyes lit up from the invite.

"Definitely not messing around. Please except my personal invite." Sungyeol took his chopsticks and dipped them into Dongwoo's bowl, picking up a huge tasty bite of noodles and chicken. He brought his other hand under the munch and carried it over towards Dongwoo's mouth. "If you take a bite of this, you are accepting the ticket."

Dongwoo laughed out loud, clapping his hands at Sungyeol's proposition. It would be a way for him to watch baseball, get used to living in Korea, and have fun with Woohyun and Sungyeol. "Baseball and helping me eat with chopsticks, how can I resist?" Dongwoo opened his mouth like a dinosaur and devoured Sungyeol's bite.

 

(((())))

 

Sunggyu bussed a table for a family that left. On the table were used up napkins, spilled broth and extra ingredients around, and some concoction inside of a glass that looked like a mixture of Pepsi, salt, pepper, and several noodles. Sunggyu scrunched his nose, a little disgusted by the leftovers he had to deal with, taking the glass of Pepsi and shaking it around. He almost gagged thinking about how gross it would taste, dropping it into his bin and clearing the rest of the table to get things over with.

He walked into the kitchen, throwing everything he gathered into either the trash can or the kichen sink to wash. Boohyun and other sous chefs were standing around as they waited for a batch of noodles to cook. 

"Good job today," Boohyun complimented, straining some noodles to place into a boiling pot.

"What?" Sunggyu threw his last bowl into the sink, straightening up his back in front of Boohyun. "Thanks."

"Things aren't busy, so you can take your 30 minute break."

Finally. Sunggyu bowed, waiting for this moment since he started. "Thank you seonsangnim." He untied his apron and headed for the restaurant entrance.

"Woohyun is in the back if you want to join him," Boohyun stated. His statement was so vague; it was neither a request nor an order. "Take the back door near the refridgerator if you want."

Sunggyu was close to leaving the kitchen. Sunggyu never hung out with Woohyun during his breaks; he stayed in front of the restaurant to smoke. He turned around and watched Boohyun discussing food matters with one of the other chefs. Does Boohyun expect me to hang out with Woohyun? I've never actually checked out the back yet. He had to admit, he was kind of curious what was at the back of the restaurant. Sunggyu cautiously walked over, not wanting to seem like he wants to hang out with Woohyun. He clicked the knob and inched it open, sneaking his head into the cracks to take a gander.

The back of Guk Pan was a small alleyway surrounded by tall chainlinked fencing. It was their own private area and blocked off from the other businesses around them, like a backyard. One of the corners had potted roses, each bud in full bloom for the season. There were several emptied out boxes and a plastic bucket turned upside down, meant to be used as chairs. On the wall was a hanging lamp that lit up the small alley adequately. The place itself was not special in any kind of way.

And then there was Woohyun.

At the end of the alley was a tower of six beer bottles stacked on top of each other. Woohyun was standing right in the middle of a circle drawn with white chalk, his posture steady and concentration focused at the tower. Woohyun's back was against Sunggyu, who slowly crept in and closed the door behind him to watch. Woohyun had his hand behind his back, jostling a baseball in his palm. He raised his knee to wind down for a pitch, leaning his back to extend his arm out for strength. He wanted that perfect pitch. He was ready.

Sunggyu crossed his arms as he watched Woohyun pitch the ball, biting his tongue to see what he was capable of. He knew that Woohyun was the baseball team captain, but he had no idea how dedicated he was to the game. This guy practices in between work breaks? Sunggyu was slightly amused.

At the speed of light, Woohyun threw the ball at the bottles.

And completely missed, overshooting his throw above the bottles and bouncing off the fence and rolling back to his shoes.

Sunggyu let out a dry laugh, covering his mouth to stop himself.

Woohyun turned around, surprised to see Sunggyu standing right behind him. "How long were you here?"

"Long enough to see your horrible pitch," Sunggyu chimed, stepping forward towards Woohyun. "Great job."

I hate dealing with this guy. Woohyun blushed. "It's not like I'm a pitcher, anyways."

"Always making excuses for yourself." Sunggyu snatched out a cigarette and lighter from his pocket and took a seat on the plastic bucket. He hugged the tip of the cigarette with his lips and lit up the other side, letting out a ring of smoke in the air. "Are you almost done with break?"

"I have about 5 minutes left." Woohyun leaned against the back wall of Guk Pan immediately across from Sunggyu. He looked up at the setting skies. Purple, pink, and blue hues filling up above before the sunset, but it only reminded him that they had about two more hours till the finish of their shift.

Sunggyu held his cigarette between his fingers, passing it along to Woohyun.

"No, I'm fine," Woohyun responded. "I don't smoke."

Sunggyu shrugged his shoulders, taking another puff to release into the air. He watched the image of Woohyun's face hidden beyond the rising smoke. The atmosphere was a little awkward, the moments of silence that could be filled with conversation, but it was something that he had gotten used to working with Woohyun. A  relationship with Woohyun was something Sunggyu did not want to invest in. At the same time, he was bored. "So we don't have work tomorrow, right?" he tried to have small talk.

"No we don't." Woohyun hooked his thumbs onto the belt rings of his pants and pulled them down slightly.

Sunggyu nodded his head. "So this is where you go during all of your breaks?"

"What?" Woohyun almost slid down the wall before he recovered slyly and set his foot down to balance himself. He pushed himself back up, acting a little clumsy around him. "Oh, yeah I do. Sometimes I throw balls, sometimes I sit down and try to take a nap."

That's cool, I guess. "Boohyun told me to go here. Did you set up all of this?"

He's still trying to talk to me? Needless to say, Woohyun was a little surprised Sunggyu cared to know. "I take some of the extra jars and bottles from the restaurant to set up and throw. It's not like I'm practicing, but I pretend to be a pitcher for fun."

Pretending to be a pitcher? What a fool. "Cool." Sunggyu smoked one last puff of his cigarette before dropping it to the floor and crushing its flames. 

"You better pick that up," Woohyun ordered.

"Aish-" Sunggyu put his hands up. "I will, I will."

Woohyun pushed himself off the wall and headed towards the door to end his break. He was done talking to Sunggyu and wanted to get back to work. "Later."

Later. Sunggyu did not say a word, picking up the cigarette buck and holding it in his palm. He took a deep breath, solemn in feeling. 

Right before Woohyun touched the back door knob, he turned around to take one last look at Sunggyu.

Sunggyu was looking down at his cigarette, almost as if he was reflecting on something. Something was missing for him, and it was something that the usual smoke could not solve. He tuned everything out around him, the scene turned quiet and Sunggyu thought he was the only person in the room.

Woohyun noticed that his character was a little different, and had changed ever since last week. It was not the Sunggyu he was used to seeing for the past two years of high school.

Suddenly, Sunggyu walked towards the chalk circle, picking up the baseball and tossing it up and down in his hand. This caught Woohyun's attention, standing by the exit to observe. The feeling was rough, the leather worn out and the stiching almost unraveled. He let out a smile, taking the reins of the baseball and winding it back with his arm like it was natural. Tonight, you're mine.

Sunggyu's eyes sparkled.

A switch went on, and with a powerful force Sunggyu threw the ball forward and crashed it into the bottles, exploding in the air before crash landing to the floor. Not a single bottle came out alive.

Woohyun stayed quiet.

There was something about the way Sunggyu stood in the middle of the alley. There was something about the way his eyes shined when he knocked down the tower of bottles in one fell swoop. There was something about Sunggyu when he folded the paper crane for the family. There was something about Sunggyu singing the song with him the week before.

There was something about Sunggyu.

Woohyun scratched his eye, unwilling to admit to himself that that "something" was the Sunggyu that he used to know. The Sunggyu that Boohyun had faith in. The Sunggyu that Woohyun used to have faith in.

"Hey," Woohyun called out.

Sunggyu's heart jumped, spinning around to find Woohyun watching him pitch. "How..." he stuttered. "How long have you been standing there?"

The two of them looked at each other, catching each other in an act of spying on the other person by the door. 

Woohyun ignored his question. "Um, what are you doing tomorrow afternoon?"

 


 

A baseball game tomorrow? With Dongwoo, Woohyun, and Sungyeol are going, but is Sunggyu? Are we seeing a full breakthrough with Woogyu??? You can find out!

I would like to thank this time to thank all of my commentors, subscribers, voters, readers, anyone who is supporting this fanfic by simply looking at it! I'm having so much fun reading it, and I hope that all of you are thoroughly enjoying it as much as I am writing it. I love you all, seriously.  :D