About Last Night

Waiting for You

Hey everyone! So can I just say that I love you all so much :D Thank you for supporting my fanfic, subscribing, voting, anyone reading this! I love reading all the comments with everyone freaking out a bit.

Today is going to be my last chapter until Thursday because of school, and I apologize a lot for that. I hope that everyone doesn't get too cranky waiting. I promise you when I post the next chapter after this one, everything is going to get crazy.

And I swear to all of you, in 2 chapters, you will find out Sunggyu and Woohyun's complete backstory as well as Dongwoo!

So I hope all of you enjoy this chapter today. Tell me what you think of it in the comments after :D

 


 

They money? The money?? What the hell is Woohyun talking about??

"Please go on." Hak Yeon was very intrigued.

"Woohyun, are you... are... are you sure you're doing the right thing?" Sungyeol had never been involved in anything like this in his life, linking his arm with Dongwoo in fear of tonight possibly being his last day on earth. The rush of saving Sunggyu got to him. One second he was sitting at a table in Guk Pan peacefully and the next second he's waiting for Woohyun outside of his room to get his box. Sungyeol tapped his foot anxiously.

Dongwoo stayed quiet, his body motionless as he clenched his fist behind his back.

Woohyun took a deep breath. There was very little time to think about whether he was making the right decisions, impulsive in action and the only thing on his mind was saving Sunggyu. When he saw that the cash register was filled with money and that Sunggyu did not take a single won, Woohyun knew that going to Hak Yeon empty handed would be his downfall. He was not trembling, standing with his feet planted flat on the bare concrete and facing Hak Yeon with valiance. No bully or bodyguards could scare him. They never scared him. It was only a matter of whether it was a road he wanted to walk. His mind was set, even if it was not the most rational choice. 

Today would be the first day of a new life. 

"Hak Yeon. Here in this box is 700,000 won. 300,000 won for today, and the leftover 400,000 won can help pay the original debt Sunggyu has in accordance." Woohyun brought the box forward.

"What?" Hak Yeon was shocked.

"WHAT?" Sunggyu screamed.

"You heard what I said, Hak Yeon," Woohyun confirmed.

"WOOHYUN! YOU ARE THE BIGGEST IDIOT I'VE EVER MET IN MY LIFE! JUST RUN RIGHT NOW! JUST GO. TAKE DONGWOO AND SUNGYEOL AND LEAVE!!" Sunggyu was screaming at him, desperate for Woohyun to escape and save himself.

Woohyun, for the love of all that is good and baseball you shouldn't have come here! You ing bastard, wearing your ing apron in front of Hak Yeon. Why would you save me? Why would you risk everything just to get me out of this? Why would you do this? I don't deserve any of this...

Hak  Yeon received the box, opening up the lid to reveal won bills stacked and neatly organized by rubber bands. He shook the box, and there were some coins resting on the bottom. He took this thumb and flipped the corners of the 10,000 won bills. Hak Yeon had a satisfying smile on his face, nodding his head at the results.

Sunggyu's eyes widened in shock at how much money was in that box, and it did not cross his mind at any point how Woohyun got that money. Now, he only cared about Woohyun's safety. "Woohyun, stop being the hero. Just go run right now."

Woohyun stayed still. "Now, let Sunggyu go."

Hak Yeon hugged the box in his arms. "Are you serious? Let Sunggyu go now? The rules have changed. Things aren't as easy as this."

"No! Hak Yeon, Woohyun was not a part of this in any way. Leave him alone," Sunggyu pleaded.

"What?" Woohyun was taken aback.

Dongwoo and Sungyeol stood behind him, Sungyeol's knees shaking and his mind corrupted with the life of crime. Dongwoo took hold of Woohyun's shirt, getting ready for something.

"Get him," Hak Yeon smirked.

And at his command, Hak Yeon's bodyguards went for Woohyun.

"NO, WOOHYUN!" Sunggyu leaped forward and grabbed Hak Yeon's head, twisting his neck into a chokehold and slamming his head into the wall. The box of money sprawled everywhere.

Woohyun was scared for his life, putting on a front as his bodyguards came for him.

Suddenly, Dongwoo pulled on Woohyun's shirt back and jumped in front to grab the bodyguard's neck and flip him over to the ground.

Woohyun watched in horror as the second bodyguard came after him, ducking when he tried to punch him. Woohyun tripped him and watched as he tumbled on his face.

Sungyeol had never been in a fight before, standing off to the side and watching the horror unfold. He kicked the bodyguard's , falling to the floor and holding onto his own foot because his was so muscular and a lot stronger than Sungyeol's bony feet.

Hak Yeon stumbled, wiping the blood off his lips as he looked at Sunggyu. "You're messing with the wrong person, Sunggyu!"

Dongwoo caught at the corner of his eye Sunggyu take down Hak Yeon. Dongwoo grabbed onto Hak Yeon's collar and threw him at one of the body guards standing up, and as they collided Dongwoo ran towards them and tackled them to the floor.

Hak Yeon ripped a part of Dongwoo's shirt off, a black tattoo of several roman numerals on his collarbone. Dongwoo elbowed the bodyguard's head, knocking him out. Then he pulled Hak Yeon off the floor, spinning him around in circles before he lunged him towards the roll. Dongwoo followed up by slamming into his back.

The bodyguard Woohyun tripped lifted himself off the floor, getting ready for another punch. He ran towards Woohyun, who ducked one more time and headbutted him.

Dongwoo finished off Hak Yeon and the first bodyguard, running over to Woohyun to help him. The other bodyguard took hold of Woohyun's arms and pushed him away, twisting his wrists into pretzels. "NO, STOP!" Woohyun was crying in pain.

"Get the off of him!" Dongwoo ran forward and punched him in the face and knocked him out unconscious, blood splattering to the concrete floor. The force so powerful, a tooth fell out of his mouth.

Sungyeol crawled behind the streetlight, watching as Dongwoo was practically taking each person down singlehandedly. He held the pole, frightened by how vicious Dongwoo was acting.

Woohyun was kneeling on the floor, holding onto his wrists. Sunggyu noticed him and ran over to him as fast as he could to check up on him. He hovered his hands over Woohyun's wrist, but just that tingling feeling of Sunggyu's presence made Woohyun flinch.

"No, Woohyun. It's Sunggyu. I'm here right now."

Sungyeol screamed in horror. "SUNGGYU, LOOK OUT!"

Hak Yeon mustered all the energy he could to stand up, walking towards Sunggyu with much fury. Dongwoo caught this, running to take Hak Yeon down as the last person.

But before Dongwoo could do that, Hak Yeon sent one flying kick to the back of Sunggyu's head.

 

(((())))

 

Sunggyu saw nothing but black. His eyes closed shut, the rustling sound of someone next to him.

I'm somewhere. I feel someone next to me. Is this the angel of death taking me?

A sharp pain stung the back of his head, and something cool fell onto his forehead. It was comforting, the feeling that he was not alone.

An angel is taking me. I'm definitely dead to take away all of this pain.

Sunggyu relaxed, taking in the coolness and letting heaven sent pull him to his destiny. That was until he heard a conversation happening around him with familiar voices.

"That blow hit him really hard, Woohyun. Are you sure we can't call the hospital right now?"

"No, we can't afford to do that. He has to wake up. He's going to be ok! Sunggyu!"

Woohyun? And was that Sungyeol's voice, too? You know, everytime I think I'm dead it turns out that I'm actually ok. I'm totally over this death thing.

Sunggyu opened his eyes to Dongwoo, Woohyun, and Sungyeol staring down at him with a peak of light from above shining between their heads. He scanned his surroundings, recognizing the ceiling and the background music coming out of shotty speakers. I'm at Guk Pan. He sat up and felt the surface he was lying on; the counter. The time was 12 o' clock midnight.

"Sunggyu's awake!" Sungyeol exclaimed.

Sunggyu grabbed the back of his head, pressing down on a formed bump with his fingers and rubbing it. The pain shot through his veins, striking every nerve in his body. Sunggyu trembled.

"Stop, you need to lie down right now," Dongwoo started, helping him rest on the counter.

"What happened?" Sunggyu stirred, having no recollection of anything that occurred.

"You... we... then..." Sungyeol was pointing all over the place, exasperated with no idea where to start.

"Hak Yeon," was all Woohyun said.

Sunggyu lifted his head to look at Woohyun. He was holding onto his left wrist, seeing a visible pain in Woohyun's face. His wrist was swollen, almost a purple color.

That was when every memory came back to him, owing Hak Yeon money. Meeting him during work. And then he remembered Woohyun arriving at the scene, the money, the fight. Sunggyu's expression changed from confused to almost angry. "Woohyun, how could you do something so stupid?"

Woohyun raised an eyebrow, almost insulted he could say something like that? "Excuse me?"

"No. How could all of you be such idiots?!" Sunggyu was caught in the moment of passion, worried sick over Woohyun and the fact that he endangered himself and his friends for him. Sunggyu blamed Woohyun for everything.

Woohyun could not believe Sunggyu would act so ungrateful for trying to help him. He had a lot to say to Sunggyu. The fact that Sunggyu lied to him why he was working at Guk Pan in the first place, leading up to this moment where Woohyun implicated himself, Dongwoo, and Sungyeol into Sunggyu's web of debt and lies. Woohyun was already mad about having to save Sunggyu for his idiotic mistakes, but now he was livid. He crossed his arms, trying to fathom Sunggyu's imcompetence. "You went to Hak Yeon empty handed, I had to do something to..."

"But now Hak Yeon knows your face! He knows all of your faces! I told you guys to save yourselves, and you didn't!" The root of it all was exactly what Sunggyu did not want in the first place: Woohyun getting involved.

"Are we going to be ok?" Sungyeol whimpered. He had never done anything like this in his life, and he was scared to death of what would happen if Hak Yeon tried to come after him.

"No! You're not ok Sungyeol! Never again! Hak Yeon and his gang are going to follow you like a predator, watch your every move, ask you for favors. All because of tonight! I hope you guys are ing proud of yourselves," Sunggyu scoffed, rolling his eyes.

Dongwoo stayed silent majority of the time, a hand covering his collarbone.

"Dongwoo, where did you learn how to fight?" Sunggyu asked, curious since he was the one who took down Hak Yeon and his bodyguards with his own hands.

Sungyeol turned to Dongwoo, his eyes almost showing regret and remorse for resorting to violence. He was curious about that himself, never seeing this side of Dongwoo before.

Dongwoo shrugged his shoulders. "I knew a lot of people like Hak Yeon back in America. I know how to handle myself, I guess," he answered, doing his best to avoid the actual truth.

Sungyeol could tell in Dongwoo's voice that he was lying. It was not as genuine as the time that he forgave Dongwoo only hours before, his voice stuttering and words spaced out. This really bothered Sungyeol, almost as if there was another story to Dongwoo that was hidden from him.

Sunggyu changed the subject again. "So Woohyun, is this what you wanted? You got you and two perfectly good people into the deepest they will ever be until high school ends. I hope you're ing happy Mr. President," Sunggyu taunted obnoxiously. Without much thinking or hearing Woohyun's side, he scolded.

Woohyun was a very tough person on the inside and outside, but this moment really broke his heart. He thought he was doing the right thing, making the right decision. This situation was bigger than he could ever imagine, and he did not clearly think about the ramifications before he acted on paying Hak Yeon off. He questioned his leadership and his sanity, the one person he tried to avoid throughout high school now breathing down his back for the rest of their high school career. Woohyun did not think all of these things through.

"What do you have to say, Woohyun? Was this still a good decision?" Sunggyu badgered.

Woohyun showed vulnerability, his eyes watery and almost crying like a fool in front of them. Finally, he spoke. "I'm sorry I wanted to save your life, Sunggyu."

Sunggyu's heart drop, not expecting an answer like that to come out of his mouth. Dongwoo and Sungyeol watched as Woohyun took off and stormed out of Guk Pan.

 

(((())))

 

Sunggyu lay in bed the following day.

He had several hours before his Saturday closing shift at Guk Pan. Sunggyu stared at his ceiling, watching the hanging fan rotate for almost an hour. 

Sunggyu had little to no sleep, thinking back to Woohyun's last words before he left him last evening.

I'm sorry I wanted to save your life, Sunggyu.

After some time letting it all sink in, Sunggyu was more than grateful that Woohyun came in to help him. Woohyun was almost his sent angel, saving him in the brink of trouble. He thought objectively, and if Woohyun did not come in he might as well be dead. Sunggyu realized now what he was:

I'm a ing .

Sunggyu's phone vibrated, reaching over to his bedside table to check his texts.

"495,200 won," from Cha Hak Yeon.

A single text, and Sunggyu was a little shocked that he subtracted Woohyun's money after last night's incident. Not wanting to know the consequences, he ignored the text without replying back.

Wait, the money.

It never crossed Sunggyu's mind why Woohyun possessed 700,000 won in that box. Woohyun is too angry with me, and he has baseball practice right now. He looked through his contacts to see if he somehow had Sungyeol's phone number. Much to his surprise, right after Lee Sungjong's name was Lee Sungyeol. Without hesitation, he shot him a text.

"Where did Woohyun get the money from last night?" from Kim Sunggyu.

Blunt in question, Sunggyu wanted to know. He waited, a single vibration in the palm of his hand.

"I don't think I should say," from Lee Sungyeol.

Sunggyu groaned, sending him another text.

"Don't be like this and tell me where he got the money," from Kim Sunggyu.

Sunggyu stayed in bed, impatient for Sungyeol's answer. After almost half an hour, Sunggyu received another text.

"Woohyun has a stash of savings that was almost 1,000,000 won. He paid off the money you stole at Guk Pan the first time, and he used the rest of the money yesterday," from Lee Sungyeol.

Sungyeol was in disbelief. That bastard paid for everything himself... 

Another text followed. 

"I don't know if Woohyun wants anyone to know," from Lee Sungyeol.

And who would. The guilt was eating Sunggyu alive. Woohyun paid everything off for him, risking his own reputation and using all of his money for Sunggyu. He threw his phone across the room, letting out a frustrating scream and ruffling up his hair.

Woohyun, you idiot bastard. Why would you do something like this? Was I worth the risk?

 

(((())))

 

"Woohyun, don't try to stress yourself out. These things happen, and it's unavoidable."

Woohyun stayed silent, his head down in disappointment.

"Look, you'll be there every step of the way. But a different role. It's going to be ok."

Is it really going to be ok? Woohyun shook his head, refusing to believe anything good can come out of this.

"We all injure ourselves sometimes. It's a shame that you fractured your wrist while you were working yesterday. Woohyun, as captain there are times when you have to be the one on the sidelines. No wants you to play and hurt yourself even more. I know it's heartbreaking words to hear, being out for the rest of the baseball season. But true character comes out when we are at our lowest."

Woohyun's baseball couch patted his back, sitting down with him on the field sidelines as they watched everyone else in batting practice. 

Woohyun spaced out, inspecting his wrist wrapped in a double layer of bandages. For the first time in a while, Woohyun had never felt so hopeless. "It's not going to be ok Coach Ryuk," he muttered, speaking of not only his wrist but the situation he got himself into last night.

Coach Ryuk, clueless to Woohyun's life, gave him a tight sidehug. "You're going to be ok, Woohyun. There are people who care about you and love you very much. Those people will get you through the darkest moments when you feel helpless."

 

(((())))

 

Sunggyu finished his closing shift at Guk Pan by himself, shining the floors to a spotless finish. He had to work extra hard for Boohyun today since he left work early without saying a word, and there was another reason: Woohyun did not come to work that day. He figured that it was because Woohyun was still angry with him from last night. Sunggyu dragged the mop to the back of the kitchen, seeing Boohyun taking care of vegetable inventory. 

"Oh, I didn't know you were still here Boohyun seonsangnim," Sunggyu said, picking up the mop bucket to pour out to the front.

"I have to take care of some things since Woohyun's not here. He's going to be out for a while," Boohyun explained.

He's going to be out for a while? What does that mean? Sunggyu thought that maybe Woohyun told his brother about Hak Yeon, and maybe he was grounded for last night. "What... what do you mean?" Sunggyu stuttered.

Boohyun looked at Sunggyu. "Oh, you didn't hear?"

"No."

Boohyun took a deep breath. "My brother fractured his wrist when he was carrying something yesterday."

Sunggyu's heart fell to the pits of his stomach, his face in utter shock. "What?"

"You left work early, so you probably didn't see it. He's going to be out for a week. but if he wants he'll be working the register for the next two months."

"Two months?!" Sunggyu's lip quivered, trying to find the words to say.

"Woohyun is at home if you want to see him," Boohyun said, going back to his work.

Woohyun? Your wrist? It was swollen last night. I didn't know...

 Without another second wasted, Sunggyu rushed out of Guk Pan to find Woohyun.

 

(((())))

 

Woohyun lay on his bed, his broken wrist resting on his stomach. With his other hand, he juggled a baseball to remind himself of the team he failed and the missed opportunities for this school year. He rested with his eyes closed, searching for a haven where everything was going to be ok. The repercussions of last night were more than he could ever imagine, and there was still one detail that Woohyun was in the dark for:

Hak Yeon.

He was mentally preparing himself for school the following Monday, what he will say, what he will do. After coming home from baseball practice, he broke the bad news to Sungyeol as well as apologized for bringing him into this chaotic mess. Woohyun had to admit to himself that Sunggyu was right:

He was an idiot. The biggest idiot this world had ever seen.

Now, Woohyun's world was falling apart and he pulled a lot of people down with him.

Someone knocked on his door.

"Open," Woohyun yelled. He stayed on his bed, no energy to get up and greet his mom.

The door pryed open, and to Woohyun's surprise it was not his mom or dad.

"Sunggyu?" Woohyun immediately sat up from his bed, taken aback that Sunggyu came to see him.

Sunggyu closed the door behind him, his face somber in expression. He walked forward, blinking his eyes at the sight of Woohyun's broken wrist. He tried to convince himself that all of this was a dream, that Woohyun really did not hurt himself. "Woohyun."

The two of them stared at each other, both of them apologetic for last night. 

"Your wrist..." Sunggyu made out. Woohyun, how could this happen?

Woohyun stayed quiet. He had nothing to say to Sunggyu.

Sunggyu thought he was going to throw up. He walked over to Woohyun's bed and sat on the floor. He leaned against the mattress, burying his face in his own hands. "Aish, Woohyun."

"You know, it's ok," Woohyun said. He saw Sunggyu on the floor, rolling off the bed and sinking down to sit on the floor with Sunggyu. Self-condemnation was the only thing that seemed appropraite. "I deserve this for being an idiot. You were right. I shouldn't have tried to find you. None of this would have ever happened."

Well, don't say it like that. Sunggyu took full responsibility for all of this happening. "I should have told you from the beginning the real reason why I was working there. At least if I did, maybe we could have thought this out and plan something better than this. If I never got into this debt in the first place we would all be ok."

"So, what was the debt?" Woohyun wondered.

Sunggyu sighed. "There really was a car accident. I crashed a car Hak Yeon stole when we were making a delivery."

"Sunggyu, are you kidding me?"

"I really wish I was. Now I'm in this mess, and I pulled you in."

Woohyun bit his lip. "Well, thanks for telling the truth I guess. A little too late, don't you think?" he snided. He was holding some resentment for the fact his broken wrist prevented him from playing baseball.

"I know, I know," Sunggyu whined, hugging his knees. "Please don't ing remind me."

Woohyun smirked a little before frowning again. "Well, we're both even. I wasn't thinking when we tried to find you. Now Dongwoo and Sungyeol are in this mess. I don't know what to do when I get to school on Monday."

Sunggyu shrugged his shoulders. "We can figure this out maybe tomorrow. Hoya, Myungsoo, and Sungjong can provide good backup for all of you. Dongwoo is good on his own."

"Yeah, tell me about it. I didn't know Dongwoo was capable of that."

Sunggyu stared at Woohyun's wrist. He also remembered that Woohyun used his own money to save him. No one had ever sacrificed so much to help him out, and he wondered why. "So, what were you thinking when you came to find me?"

"What?" Woohyun asked.

"What was on your mind first when you came to find me?" Sunggyu clarified.

Woohyun opened and closed his fist, thinking back to everything that happened. You want to know what I was thinking? I was thinking you were as stupid as I thought you were, but I'm just as dumb. I was thinking that you were a terrible person, but I was proven wrong when you didn't steal the register money. I was thinking that I wanted you to be ok when I piggybacked you back to Guk Pan. I was thinking... that I needed you alive. "I was thinking you were important at Guk Pan, I couldn't leave you stranded like that."

Sunggyu nodded his head. 

"I was thinking you were probably tired of dealing with Hak Yeon, and it was important for you to get out of the hole."

Sunggyu lowered his head, ashamed that Woohyun would go to this extreme to throw the rope in the pit he was lying in.

"And I was thinking that..."

Sunggyu waited for Woohyun to finish his sentiment.

"... I was thinking that, you're important to me."

Important? There was not a single person in his life who told him that he was important. Sunggyu was always the one to the side, the one who always ed up and failed everyone. How could someone say to his face that he was important?

The two of them stayed quiet, pondering feelings and regrets from the night before.

After some time sitting silently, Sunggyu turned to Woohyun and finally opened his mouth. "Thanks for saving me, Woohyun."

There was something about Sunggyu's gratitude that made Woohyun's heart skip a beat. Maybe it was the fact that Sunggyu was so full of himself, the brat never thank anyone for anything. He turned to look at Sunggyu, his voice and eyes sincere with every word. "Anytime, Sunggyu."

Reconciliation. There were a lot of logistical details that needed to figure out with Dongwoo, Sungyeol, everyone, but that did not matter. In the moment, two friends realized how much they cared about each other. The consequences could be figured out later.

"I'm going to go now," Sunggyu declared. "I hope you feel better."

"Thanks."

Sunggyu stretched his sleepy legs out on the floor to push himself up.

And that was when a feeling overtook Sunggyu just as he was leaving. He reflected on the word. Important. The definition of important means valuable, and Woohyun sees value in me? Had he always seen value in me? The word tripped Sunggyu up in an unexplainable way, but that was when Sunggyu had some enlightenment for himself. It would explain his reservations and anger the first time he saw Woohyun last night. It would explain his guilt, seeing Woohyun physically hurt and emotionally drained by all of this. It would explain why he lied to Woohyun in the first place.

Woohyun, you're also important to me.

Sunggyu was not sure why he did it, what it meant, how it happened. 

But it did.

Sunggyu grabbed the back of Woohyun's neck and crashed their lips together.