Crash

Waiting for You

Every day in homeroom was a dramatic entrance for Kim Sunggyu. Any time he stepped into a room, all eyes turned to him. The troublemaker. The player. The heartthrob. The most feared man on campus. All the girls were intrigued by his presence, while all the guys did their best to avoid him. Of course, except for his friends Lee Hoya, Kim Myungsoo, and Lee Sungjong. Sunggyu was a hot topic for everyone, always up to something different every single week. One day he would make a gambling deal with a student, the next day he would talk back to a teacher, the day after that he would not even bother to attend school at all. With his ed school shirt, loosely-done tie, and a smell of tobacco smoke surrounding him, every step he took was noticed by everyone.

Of course, it made his entrance a little more special with the fact that he was late to homeroom every single day of his attendance record.

And today, Sunggyu decided to be 15 minutes late to homeroom.

Myungsoo moved his backpack off the seat next to him, Sunggyu his lips as he took his place in class in the back of the classroom.

Murmurs around the classroom discussed what Sunggyu was up to next.

Rumors went around campus that Sunggyu had involved himself in a big deal of drama with the school's bad boy, Cha Hak Yeon. It was Sunggyu's crew and Hak Yeon's crew that fought over control of the school, all of them seen as the school's most-prized delinquents. No one ever tried to mess with Sunggyu or any one of his closest friends, and if you did you were inviting yourself to a beating. Though, there was the 0.05% of students on campus who were able to stick up to Sunggyu, Hak Yeon, or anyone else associated with them whenever they acted ill.

"It's nice of you to finally join us," Teacher Jung said sarcastically, always expecting Sunggyu's typical behavior in class.

"And may I say, you look quite ravishing today," Sunggyu winked.

A couple of girls in the room felt their body faint from his charm.

"President Nam, class dismissed," Teacher Jung proclaimed, unphased and indifferent to anything Sunggyu tried to pull off.

A student sitting in the front corner of class stood up willingly with his hands down his blazer pockets. He displayed a different type of charm from Sunggyu, handsome for his age and acted with a much more pleasant personality than his counterpart. With his hair gelled to a sidesweep and his eyes eager to obey, the class president started to talk. "Please bow."

At his request, the class bowed for Teacher Jung before she left. Everyone except for the obvious Sunggyu.

Everyone stayed quiet and waited to talk in class until the door slammed behind their teacher. Watching her every move, the door finally closed before her, and suddenly the class burst into conversation.

"Are you seeing Hak Yeon tonight?" Myungsoo asked, sliding his chair back and lifting his legs to place them on top of the desk.

"Unfortunately," Sunggyu groaned, sulking on his desk using his arms as a pillow. "How much more time do we have until school ends?"

"About 2 hours left." Sunggyu lifted his head off the desk and saw the class president approach him. "Not like you've been attending class anyways."

Myungsoo scoffed, giggling to himself at the president's attempt to aggravate his friend. "This guy again." He did not bother to try and do anything to fight back, knowing that Sunggyu had the whole situation covered.

"Is Mr. President frustrated?" Sunggyu felt his shadow overpower him, prompting him to stand up from his desk and look at him at an even eye-level. 

Commotion was an understatement for Sunggyu. Hassle was also underwhelming for him. There was only one real way to describe how impossible it was to deal with the likings of him. A comm-assle. There was no such word to describe Sunggyu, he had to make up a ridiculous word up. "Stop making my life difficult Sunggyu and get to class on time. At least once."

"You tell me this all the time, but you're a man with no bark Nam Woohyun." Sunggyu pointed his finger at the class president to threaten him.

Woohyun was the 0.05% that was able to stand his ground against the self-proclaimed "kingkas" at school. Nothing scared him, crossing his arms and showing off much confidence against the school's remote annoyance. He scrunched his nose a little, though, the smell of cigarettes polluting his lungs. For s sake Sunggyu, how much did you smoke before homeroom? "Barking is for dogs. Like you."

Impressive comeback. Sunggyu his lips, staring straight into Woohyun's eyes. "I leave you my leftovers all the time, so does that make you a dog?"

"Alright, let's go." A tall, lanky student with an outfit just as nice as Woohyun's and his hair also gelled off to the side but much longer than Woohyun's. He went by the name of Lee Sungyeol, one of the smartest people in all of their school. He pulled on his friend's arm, knowing how absorbed he gets sometimes trying to get his second desserts with Sunggyu. For him, he felt like it was best for him and Woohyun's interests if they never tried to talk with them.

Woohyun felt his friend's tug and was compelled to walk away from Sunggyu. He knew things were not over between them, but for now he had to let this battle slide. More than anything, Woohyun hated how people like him would work so hard in school to barely see results in their own lives. Woohyun took one last look at that crazy bastard, always getting away with everything without any type of consequence, before he finally walked away.

The teachers were scared of dealing with Sunggyu, especially because his parents were President and Vice President of Kim Computers Inc. The Kim family was known to donate a lot of money to their school, funding for many after school programs and equipment for the students to use. His parents were never home and barely knew of Sunggyu's attitude, and the teachers did not bother to try and reprimand him with fear that they would potentially lose their main source of money flow. 

Sunggyu knew all of this, and used his allowance to his advantage to gain access to things like alcohol, cigarettes, and other expensive products for him and his best friends. Everything always worked in his favor, and Sunggyu lavished in the life.

"People like Woohyun are jealous," Myungsoo remarked.

"People like Woohyun need a girlfriend, or a sock, or something," Sunggyu agreed.

 

(((())))

 

Sunggyu, Hoya, Myungsoo, and Sungjong walked into Guk Pan, a restaurant that acted as a typical hangout spot for the boys after school ended. At the beginning of the afternoon, the place was still empty and free of any business people and families heading there for dinner. The restaurant was a local favorite into the next neighborhood, serving a variety of soups in different quantities with customization. They frequented the restaurant a couple days a week to hang out or talk about any business they had to deal with before the weekend. The place was far enough for them to be in peace, free of anyone else at their school.

Well, except for one person.

"Welcome to Guk Pan! How can I..." Woohyun by the door of Guk Pan, wearing a yellow-collared shirt for his uniform and a green apron around his waist. On his chest was a name tag with his full name "Nam Woohyun" printed out in bold letters. Every day after school, Woohyun went straight to Guk Pan to work a part-time job as a waiter. The head chef of the restaurant was actually Woohyun's brother Boohyun, who has gotten critical acclaim by several newspapers around Seoul for his flavorings and choices of soup provided. The job helped him raise some extra money for personal matters, saving a percentage of it for an emergency fund of his own. He cradled a set of menus in his arms, rolling his eyes as his favorite people entered the restaurant. "Great, it's you guys."

"Just sit us down," Sunggyu groaned, barging past Woohyun and leading his friends to find an empty table in the restaurant.

"How about you wait for me to sit you down?" Woohyun sassed, taking a large step forward to get in front of Sunggyu. He shoved the menus into Sunggyu's chest, fearless to any of Sunggyu's antics.  Woohyun pointed towards a table by the window, overlooking the street. "You can sit over there."

"Yes, Mr. President!" Sunggyu grinned, raising his fingers to his forehead to salute him. Hoya, Myungsoo, and Sungjong snickered in the background.

"Just, just go," Woohyun gave up, rolling his eyes and walking away to the kitchen to get a pen and paper to write down orders.

The four of them walked over to the window seat, Sunggyu passing out the menus around to each of his friends as they sat down. The menu was extensive with all kinds of meat choices and add-ins. From ox tail to pork to fish tail for meats, and eggs to daikon to carrots for add-ins, each meal you get can be customized to your liking. For all of their time spent there, one would expect them to try different soups every time.

Woohyun reluctantly walked over to them with a pen hanging around his ear and a paper pad in his hand. "Let me guess, one ox tail soup with extra cabbage, one potato soup, one cabbage and spinach soup with extra noodles, and one hot and spicy pork soup with two cracked eggs."

They visited Guk Pan so much, Woohyun memorized everything they wanted.

"Way to go Mr. President," Sunggyu smirked, reaching over to rub the front of Woohyun's hair.

Woohyun took a step back and waved his hands in front of him. "2 years visiting this place, and nothing ever changes. That includes all of you." Finalizing all of the orders, Woohyun walked away to go to the kitchen.

"You should give him an extra tip," Myungsoo smiled. "I mean, that's some dedication memorizing our favorites. Right?"

Hoya played with his chopsticks, opening and closing them to practice. "An extra tip? He should lay off on the hair gel."

Sungjong covered his mouth, trying to prevent himself from laughing out loud.

"When I touched his hair, it was like I was petting a cactus," Sunggyu joked. 

Woohyun walked over, holding a tray of side dishes for all of them to eat before their soup came. "Thanks for the tip," he commented, slamming the dishes down on the table. "It's not like any of you give me a tip in the first place anyways."

"Not with the way you're serving us," Sunggyu snarked, picking out a piece of kimchi to eat. 

I'll serve you a knife down your throat. "Enjoy your food," Woohyun smiled, turning around and immediately frowning once he was out of their peripherals.

"So what are you doing tonight again?" Sungjong asked, munching on some sliced cucumber served.

"This is the last thing you have to do for Hak Yeon, and then we'll finally be off his hands, right?" Hoya asked.

"Yup." Sunggyu dropped his chopsticks to crack his knuckles, anticipating the last thing he had to do to get out of Hak Yeon's hands. "And it's about time too."

"It just goes to show," L started, his mouth full with rice cake, "you don't break up with your enemy's sister unless you want a beating."

"Or steal her ity," Hoya added.

Sungjong continued. "Or get caught in her room..."

"Stop it, I get it!" Sunggyu threw a tantrum, closing his eyes and shaking his heads. "I had no idea she was Hak Yeon's sister before."

"Her last name was Cha," Hoya snorted.

"Oh my god, we have like 10 Chas at our school," Sunggyu whined.

"What do you have to do anyways?" Sungjong wondered.

"Since I have my license, Hak Yeon wants me to drive him and Hongbin to make a deal with someone from another school," Sunggyu explained. "They owe someone money."

"Sheesh, this guy has you on a leash," Hoya laughed.

And that was the cold truth. Hak Yeon had Sunggyu on a long leash that took him all around the city. Request after request, feeding him alcohol, gaining him access to a lot of private clubs with his parents' connection, using his parents' money to pay off some of Hak Yeon's own debts, Sunggyu was doing many things for Hak Yeon and his friends to pay for the heartbreak of his sister. While Sunggyu was one of the worst people to deal with on campus, doing favors proved to be a daunting task. Unlike Sunggyu, many of Hak Yeon's connections went deeper into an unwarranted area of the mafia. 

"But it's almost done and over with," Sunggyu promised, taking another piece of kimchi. 

Woohyun came in out of nowhere, placing four hot bowls of soup in front of each person who ordered it. "Enjoy your food, I hope you don't choke on it."

 

(((())))

 

At 2 o' clock in the morning, Sunggyu drove along the highway listening to "Hands Up". With no one else on the road, he drove recklessly at high speeds to get his whole situation over with. Sitting in the back were Hak Yeon and Hongbin, nodding their heads to the song as they sat back and relaxed.

"Nice night, right?" Hak Yeon commented, looking out the window to watch the Seoul skyline.

"I know, it looks lovely right now out there," Hongbin agreed.

"It's cloudy outside and I can barely see ," Sunggyu snarked, squinting his eyes as he struggled to drive through the fog.

"Always a fun person to be around," Hak Yeon chuckled, patting on Sunggyu's shoulder as he continued to drive.

The roads were empty, and yet Sunggyu still had a hard time staring at the road. Realizing how late it was, Sunggyu contemplated on how he got himself into this mess in the first place. First meeting Hak Yeon at a party, sharing cigarettes together, and then barely a month into their friendship Sunggyu screwed his sister. Now he regretted everything. Sometimes being a freewheeler had its drawbacks, and sometimes he even wondered how he would end up if he lived a less thrill-seeking life and surrounded himself with "good" people.

But then Sunggyu would shake his head. Who the hell wants to be a Woohyun? Even though he had to sneak through his window and surpass his apartment alarm system to get this inside job done, he would much rather be doing this than working on any homework he had for any kind of class.

"Maybe if you turn your high beams on it would be easier to see," Hongbin suggested.

The problem was, turning on high beams would blind Sunggyu even more in the fog that was impossible to see through. Sunggyu had no idea, though, he barely drove himself in the first place to understand that. At whim, Sunggyu flicked his high beams on and the light reflected off the fog. His vision only saw white, and driving at his same speed Sunggyu could not tell there was curve coming up ahead. Sunggyu panicked, his palms sweating as he hesitated to turn the high beams. A second too late.

The car flew off the curved railing and crashed.

 


 

Fanfic Soundtrack:

2PM - Hands Up