Bonus: You Still Have My Shoes

Waiting for You

Sunggyu was the only worker at Guk Pan on Friday night, multitasking with wiping some soda-stained counters and counting the profit for the day. With 30 minutes until closing, Sunggyu took care of preliminary tasks before he left for the weekend.

Stupid Woohyun, getting sick and leaving me here. That better be ready for the game tomorrow.

It was his utmost priority to leave his job as soon as possible and sleep early for the his game the next day, which happened to be the championship baseball game for his high school. As a 3rd year school pitcher, he depended on this game for his future. After getting back into the groove of baseball at the end of his 2nd year, Sunggyu was immediately pushed to school pitcher and was even offered the position of school captain. It threatened Woohyun a bit knowing that their coach though Sunggyu's skills were superior, but Sunggyu could not bring himself to take the role because he truly believed Woohyun was the better choice.

I'm way better than that idiot with the cold. He should be lucky that I'm too lazy to be baseball captain.

Sunggyu smirked his way through his closing shift, playing several tunes through the speakers to get through the night. With an empty room, it barely looked like anyone else was going.

Boohyun swung the doors to leave the kitchen, dressed in a button-up shirt and a nice pair of jeans as he threw a mop in Sunggyu's face. "You got this place covered? I'm going on a date."

Sunggyu caught the mop right before it hit his face, shocked that he was leaving him alone. "Hold on, seonsangnim we don't close yet. Is Soo Hyun still in the kitchen?"

"Yes. He will be taking care of all the last orders before closing." Boohyun scanned the restaurant, the place completely deserted without the tables to a clean shine, all chairs pushed in, and no signs of disorder. "If anyone else comes in."

"Have a good night," Sunggyu saluted as he grabbed his clipboard, watching Boohyun put his jacket on as he left the restaurant.

Sunggyu counted a stack of bills for himself as the song changed in the restaurant. That was when Sunggyu realized that it was his first time working by himself ever since the uptight Woohyun had a broken arm.

He could do whatever the hell he wanted.

As Sunggyu tracked the earnings, he unexpectedly started tapping his feet to the song as well as slowly bobbing his head. He side eyed the area, glancing at every possible window in the area to see if anyone would enter Guk Pan at any given moment. The streets outside were empty, and the rustling behind the kitchen door only meant that he was trying to get a head start on cleaning up the kitchen before they closed.

Only twenty minutes left.

"Come on girl, love is so nutritious.
Come on girl, love is so delicious."

Sunggyu started humming the song, a song he recently downloaded the day before. A song a little too cheesy for his tastes, but for some reason it stuck to him like kitchen grease. "Damnit, I hate this song."

Except he actually loved it.

"SWEET GIRL.
Neol Wonhae DREAM GIRL.
Nae ipsul wiro nogadeul mankeum
Dalkomhage haejulge."

Sliding his feet behind the counter, he turned around and used his mop like a microphone. Sunggyu could not get enough of the song, and sang it obnoxiously in the empty restaurant.

Well, until two people walked into the restaurant.

As Sunggyu heard the doors open he hesitated and faltered forward to stop his spin move, tripping over the bottom of his mop and falling straight on his face. Without any room to save himself the embarrassment, Sunggyu stayed on the ground and hid his burning red face. Who the hell could these people be... 

"I know this place closes in fifteen minutes, but do you think we have time to order?" a voice called out.

Sunggyu used the mop stick to help pick himself up, climbing up the counter shelves to assist his customers. "Yeah you can," he groaned. "I'll get you your menus soon-" Sunggyu shut his mouth as he lifted his head above the counter, the two people standing at the doorway staring straight at him. The three of them made a connection with each other, one of the restaurant customers taking a nervous step backwards as Sunggyu clearly recognized the both of them. Pushing himself off the counter, he stood on his two feet and brushed his shoulder, his eyes narrowing as his heart started racing fast, his blood pressure rising and almost as if his heart was going to explode out of his chest. His ears started feeling red, but no longer with bashfulness; but with pure hatred.

"Doojoon. Gikwang," he muttered under his breath.

Doojoon and Gikwang stared at Sunggyu fearfully, knowing the exact reason why he showed resentment towards them. They sported workout clothes, with Doojoon wearing a baseball cap while Gikwang carried a backpack with baseball equipment hanging off the front. Gikwang took a step backwards behind the taller Doojoon, who ended up being the spokeperson for the two of them. "Sunggyu... I didn't know you worked at Woohyun's brother's restaurant."

Sunggyu crossed his arms and snorted. "I didn't know you ever even visited this place."

Doojoon took one big gulp, his hands shaking as the person they betrayed three years before was standing right in front of them. And it was not any kind of betrayal, but a kind that made Sunggyu change schools and have him expelled from the team. "Are you still friends with Woohyun?"

This guy, still keeps talking. "We're classmates and teammates on the baseball team. He's also my boyfriend."

With those words, Doojoon and Gikwang's bodies froze at the doorstep, questioning whether they should even continue eating at the restaurant. "Can we eat here?" Gikwang whimpered.

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow. "Can you eat here?" He could no longer take their stupidity, grabbing onto two menus on the counter to serve them. He pointed towards a table for them to be seated, rushing to their chairs obediently like Sunggyu was going to attack them. Well, to get it straight Sunggyu did want to pulverize the both of them into pieces so that they felt the pain he felt years before. But grudges were for losers, and Sunggyu had no time to deal with them. Though he had to admit, he could not stand seeing their faces even years after this very evening. Throwing the menus in front of them, Sunggyu impatiently waited for them to figure out their orders.

Doojoon grabbed onto his menu, folding the corners as Sunggyu's presence bothered him. Never in a million years did he think they would ever see each other ever again. Seoul was a large city, or so he thought. "How long have you been working here?"

"A year and a half," Sunggyu answered quickly.

"There's a lot of choices on your menu," Doojoon commented, tracing his finger at all the potential soups he could make. "How is soy milk broth?"

"It's good," Sunggyu groaned, rolling his eyes.

"I think I'll have that. Soy milk broth, adding in pork, seaweed, sprout, and tofu as well." Doojoon closed his menu and gently pushed it to the side, turning his head to avoid any remaining eye contact with Sunggyu.

Sunggyu wrote down the orders, repeating everything in his head. "What do you want Gikwang?"

Gikwang buried his head into his menu and stayed quiet.

Sunggyu turned to the clock. "You have five minutes to make an order till I have to close up the kitchen." God, I want to punch him.

After some time thinking to himself, Gikwang closed his menu and passed it to Doojoon. "I'll have potato soup with beef and peppers please." He lowered his head, refusing to take another look at Sunggyu.

"With beef and peppers." Sunggyu dotted his characters and tore the paper out of his notepad to pass to the sous chef. Sunggyu had nothing else to tell them. The atmosphere was too awkward for him to be around anyways. "I'll be taking care of your orders-"

"So you still play baseball?"

Sunggyu and Doojoon turned to Gikwang, who had been relatively quite the whole way through their restaurant meeting. With his hands buried between his legs and his weak posture, Gikwang brought the question up. Biting his lip, he instantly regretted it. "You said that you're teammates with Woohyun..."

Sunggyu thought the question came out of nowhere, unsure where any of this was going to go. "Yeah I do. We have a championship game tomorrow."

Doojoon's eyes widened, realizing an important factor of your game. "What school are you playing?"

Sunggyu shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know..."

"Sung Gong High School."

The three of them said the name in unison, and the atmosphere of the room changed.

Sunggyu was not slow. Putting the pieces together, he only grew more angry at what he realized. "You... you're the other team for tomorrow's championship game?"

There was much more on the line than initially. As well as scouts for premiere baseball teams at universities and simply winning a championship for his high school, suddenly his pride was on the line. The very team who kicked him out had expected Sunggyu to completely give up the sport all together. The shocking looks on their faces when they realized Sunggyu continued the game and is still going strong showed fear. The premiere pitcher of their middle school baseball team, the very person who kicked Doojoon out of his team captain position.

Now he really wanted to tear them apart.

"Yeah, we are," Doojoon answered. "You're still pitching?"

Sunggyu nodded his head. "Are you?"

Doojoon answered yes as well.

Gikwang scratched the back of his head, this situation getting a lot more tense than he wanted. "Shouldn't you be sleeping, then?" 

Sunggyu was shocked to hear that snide come out of his mouth, especially after everything Gikwang put him through. You have no right to tell me that. "Shouldn't you be sleeping as well?"

At the end of the day, it was a competition. Feelings arose from middle school, bitter feelings between all of them from the past. It was not an appealing situation to versus each other in the championship baseball game, but what was done was done. They expected a crazy fight to the trophy tomorrow.

"I'll get your food," Sunggyu barked, shoving their order down his pocket. Before he turned to walk away, he caught a look at Gikwang's backpack thrown on the floor. Attached to the front was a baseball bat, a travel water bottle, and a pair of shoes. A pair of shoes that looked very familiar to Sunggyu. "Nice shoes Gikwang," he coughed, walking away as he paused himself in the middle of the restaurant. "You have no shame. Wearing the same exact pair of shoes three years later that I ing bought you... you wouldn't be playing baseball if it wasn't for me."

Gikwang fell silent, his whole face turning pale as he resonated with everything Sunggyu called him out on.

Sunggyu crumpled the piece of paper in his pocket, forming a fist and dragging his way into the kitchen for their order.

 

(((())))

 

"YOU SON OF A WOOHYUN!" 

Woohyun sneezed on his elbow, his eyes watery as he got up from his bed to deal with Sunggyu's nonsense. His whole face was filled with red, his eyes bloodshot as he did not expect anything of that manner to occur at work today. "I HAD NO IDEA THEY WERE TRYING TO VISIT ME! They knew where I work and go to school, so they stop by maybe once a year to say hi."

Sunggyu banged his fist on Woohyun's drawer for not understanding the extremity of the situation. "I hate them with a burning passion, and now they're playing a baseball game with me?!"

Woohyun had no choice but to take the covers off of him, jumping out of his bed to try and calm down the angry Sunggyu. "Why do you even care?! Sunggyu it's midnight, we have a game tomorrow, and I was trying to ing sleep. This was three years ago! You're way better than all of them anyways."

"I care because those s screwed me over, and now I have to see their faces again." Sunggyu leaned his elbow against the drawer and rested his head on his fist in frustration. "I wanted to throw that ing soy milk soup in Doojoon's face... WHO ORDERS SOY MILK SOUP ANYWAYS?! IT TASTES TERRIBLE!"

Woohyun grabbed a stack of tissues to cover his nose as Sunggyu's breakdown gave him a terrible headache. Not like he had not given him a headache before, but this time Woohyun was really tired of his as he tried to recover from his cold. Pointing his snotty tissues at Sunggyu, he tried to make a point. "Well what better way to screw them over back than to just beat them tomorrow! Our team has only lost once this year, and the time we lost was when you couldn't attend a game for a funeral! You are ten times better than them, ten times better than Doojoon, and you KNOW that. All you have to do is show them up. It's not that hard."

"Yeah, yeah, I KNOW. But GOD, why does it have to be them." Sunggyu grumbled to himself as he found a seat on Woohyun's floor to lean against his bed. Burying his head in his knees, Sunggyu's true insecurities came out. "I just don't understand how they can be so successful. They have everything still, after everything that happened... I'm barely getting my life back together..."

Woohyun realized Sunggyu's real feelings, taking a seat next to Sunggyu to comfort him. "Sometimes it takes a really long time for karma to bite someone back. Tomorrow is that moment to show them what you're made of. I've said this countless times, but you're the best pitcher I know. It took a long time to get your life back together, and now that you have it it's time to show all of those people who doubted you wrong."

Sunggyu lifted his head off of his knees and turned to Woohyun, realizing through everything he was right. "I guess you're right."

To cheer him up, Woohyun gave him a sweet peck on Sunggyu's lips. "Yeah..."

"What?" Sunggyu expected Woohyun to finish his sentence.

"Nothing, it's just..." And Woohyun let out a booming sneeze that echoed through his whole room. Even Sunggyu shrieked a little from the shock. "There you go, I needed to sneeze."

"Oh." Sunggyu was too tense, and knew he needed to relax. "Your voice is funny when it's nasally."

Woohyun smirked, almost letting out a laugh. "So they really caught you singing that new song 'Delicious'?"

Sunggyu rolled his eyes, pushing Woohyun away from him. "No... they barely saw me do anything."

"Whatever." Woohyun was used to Sunggyu denying everything. "By the way, can you leave now? I want to sleep."

 


 

Missed me?! ;D 

Unforuntately, this is one of two bonus chapters being released. The second one to be released very soon. I hope you enjoyed this!

 

Fanfic Soundtrack: