Ch08 - Who am I?

NamSong - Fame and Sorrow


 

Mino's POV

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I paced around, anxiously, from a small, hidden room to the left of the stage. I glanced at my reflection on the dresser mirror each time I walked by it. I would occasionally pause in front of it to watch myself pose and make different expressions while reciting lyrics. Zico stood near the opening that lead to the stage and watched about four different performances while we waited. He cheered as if he was in the crowd and didn't seem nervous, at all. The stage looked dauntingly vast from back here. I stopped breathing when I heard the announcer finally introduce our names. "Whoo!! This is it...now or never, bruh!" exclaimed Zico. I was feeling pumped up while hearing the previous performances. Now that it was our turn, it felt like reality crashed back down on me and there was no escaping.

I felt my chest burn when our track started playing in the speakers.

He stood in front of me and grabbed my shoulders "Mino. Don't worry, ok? Waiting is the hardest part. I'll see you out there" I nodded and forced a smile, hoping his words were true. He patted me on the shoulders before rushing out onstage. I swallowed hard, feeling my mouth going dry. Once I get the first time over with, I won't have to worry anymore. Let's do this! I thought, hearing Zico spit his first verse.

"The question is “Who am I?”, interrogate me
Quickly gather everyone at one place as if making an investigation
Focus on my age group, looks, private life
Who could I be? The young boy who raised a tacit coup

You must be curious from which hole I crawled out of
The stones that block the stone that’s rolling in are very embarrassing
It will soon be revealed if it’s soybean paste or , man~
Until then shhhh.. shut your trap and be on a vague standby"

I peeked out from backstage to look out into the crowd. I couldn't really tell where Taehyun and the others were, as the spotlights were so bright. You could tell the crowd was a lot bigger than when I came in, earlier in the night. I shifted my gaze back to Zico, whose words flowed out, effortlessly. His hand gestures were on point. He treated the stage like it was his home and projected all of his energy and emotion out into the crowd as freely as his voice. I had watched him on stage, before, but this time felt different. I felt the pressure building up in my chest. I just had to do well!

"Oh, I’m a white paper so I easily take up colour
Under over, although I don’t have a course I’ve drawn one line
Because I clearly see this place’s problem just by eye measurement
The starting point of the affair was putting up both arms to improve the water quality

Put it all down, wash those hands, move your stage
Go to the lowest place over there, MC is not your position, you should realize that yourself
If you walk around as not to be an eyesore, it seems like rats die out of your sight
Participate at a loser’s life and keep your eyes down, no matter who your opponent is

The flying guy tops the running guy, I’m the one who catches those bastards
Nothing but taking a breath between words is enough for me to breathe
The guy who’s driven in a stake properly, they guy who’s sharpening a sharp-edged knife again
Give me some time for now, then I’ll personally proof it like Tablo"

Ok...let's go! I took a deep breath and slowly took steps towards the opening. I prepared myself to walk as soon as he spit my name.

"What, what, what? Try to guess my mind
What, what, what? Or talk about my back if you know it
I’m already an earner, I receive money every month
Mino, Zico, the first threat"

Zico finished his verse. I walked out, eliciting loud cheers from the crowd, making my eyes widen. Damn, that's a big crowd.. I thought, bringing the mic up to my mouth.

"You know, I'm younger than you."

I smirked and bit my lip. The crowd absolutely screamed. I glanced at Zico who was grinning widely. I turned back without hesitation and:

"Ye what the , who could I be
You’re curious about me? The place my feet step on 24 hours is my main stage
You want to get rid of me? Aren’t you scared?
Do you want to become a laughing stock? Ah, mommy I’m so scared

A secluded MC, of course I’m hiding
Attacking others from behind, because of that I’m immortal
In Block B are these two
Just because of our young blood the scene is upside down

At several places they talk arrogantly about me
Because I’m a puzzle, no matter how much you try to solve me, by studying you’ll barely get my silhouette
Who am I, a foreign colour
ers, a parasite-eating insect

 

I walked around the stage, confidently. I noticed the hands in the air and the heads bobbing from my peripheral vision. I didn't think about anything. The words just came out as I felt the beat coursing through my body.


Body hidden behind curtains
The moment I appear, this place will soon
Be burned to the ground
As you can see I’m an animal
That catches the kiddies who just talk big

Mino or mystery
Although I don’t wear my snapbacks
Tilted like Dok2
An emanating swagger
Mutual helping, Zico, we the masters"

The crowd went wild. I stood next to Zico, who grabbed my hand and lifted our arms in the air, as the announcer repeated our names. I lifted my chin up and looked at the ceiling. I had never felt so high. We bowed simultaniously and left the stage, walking down the steps on the side. I paused, looking at the crowd in front of me and prepared myself to get through.

I was caught off gaurd when someone popped out of the crowd in front of me, lifting his arms from his sides and pushing them beneath mine, wrapping around my back. I stumbled backwards a bit from the momentum and it took me a second to realize it was Taehyun. I hugged back, pushing the sides of our faceds together and grinning widely. We swayed side to side a little, as I closed my eyes.

He tightened his grip and I felt a surge of emotions fill me. "Oh my god, you are so amazing!" He said into my ear, which I could barely make out, due to the loud music. I felt like crying and laughing all at once. I tried to hold it together but I could feel my eyes well up. I held onto him for dear life, never wanting to let go.  We stood that way for a long time, forgetting about everything around us.

I finally loosened my grip, bringing my hands to cover my eyes. Taehyun stood close to me, rubbing my back until I pulled myself together. He put his hands on either side of my face, asking if I was ok. I wiped the tears away and gave him a reassuring smile. His face brightened and he grabbed my arm, pulling it and leading me through the crowd. I exhaled, deeply as I followed. It was a good thing he turned away when he did, otherwise I might have done something awkward.

 

 

ON THE WAY TO THE AFTER PARTY:

We all decided to walk to my place because none of them wanted to park their car around there, I guessed, but it was fine since it was only a ten minute walk. I lagged behind Taehyun, who was walking with his arm around Gayoon's waist.

"You ok?" I heard someone say beside me. I turned to see it was Seunghoon, giving me a concerned look.

"Yeah, Yeah, I'm fine. I was just zoning out." I said, scratching my nose.

"You were really somethin' up there. It's a shame Jihoon had to be at work."

"I know.." I nodded, thinking about my other roomate. Friday was his busiest night so he couldn't call out, although he had tried. We couldn't afford to have him lose his job, again.

"His loss. Well, at least you got me." He smacked my chest, playfully.

I wrapped an arm around his shoulders "Hmm.. better than nothing, I guess." I teased.

He chuckled at my comment. I tried to focus my thoughts on something different.

I looked around at who was walking with us, trying to point out their names for Seunghoon. There was Bora and Jinwoo, walking hand in hand, up near Taehyun and his girlfriend, Gayoon. Beside us was Hanbin and Hyorin, who I assumed were just friends, chatting away.

Zico walked behind us, flirting with Hyuna, or at least attempting to. Seunghoon and I would occasionally look at each other and laugh, silently, at some of his comments.

I became lost in thought, again, looking around the familiar street we walked down. It was very busy on a Friday night, even at this late hour. There were stores and shops lined up and you could see the progression from high end to simple as we neared our building.

"Oh my god, this is so grungy! It's really cool." Hyuna said towards me as everyone walked indoors.

We ended up waiting awhile for the elevator because Hyorin said she had never ridden an old gated one and she wanted to try it.

"It's really nothing special. Unless you're a fan of haunted houses, cuz it's kind of shaky and makes some weird noises." Seunghoon explained to her. She clapped her hands and said it sounded fun. I sighed and noticed something from the corner of my eye.

Taehyun and Gayoon were whispering and giggling at each other in the corner. I suddenly felt nauseous. I tried to avert my eyes but they wouldn't budge. She leaned up to kiss him and they started making out. I blinked down hard and swiveled my body around facing the others. I did not need to see that... I thought, disgusted by the image.

I felt my pulse start racing. Without another thought, I stormed past the group and started climbing up the stairs. I heard my name being called but I didn't look back. I quickened my pace, getting up there long before the elevator did. I paused at my front door, letting my back fall against it and tried to catch my breath. My head was pounding. I began dreading the moment everyone would come upstairs.

I squinted and noticed a figure turning the corner from the staircase. How did he follow me so fast?.. I thought. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Well, that song was my personal favorite from that mixtape. It was the first time I heard Mino, when I listened to that track on youtube. So proud of my huge boy he's come so far!! *sobbing aggressively*. Got the translated lyrics from here. Hope you enjoyed this chapter! xp