Eight

How to Love: Hard to Love

 

Chapter 8

 


 

“You never told me where you live.”

One day Kyungsoo and Hanbyul walk together after school with no exact destination. They decide to just spend time together and chat like always. Hanbyul on her lollipop as she grips the strap of her backpack, ignoring Kyungsoo just now. Kyungsoo, who is irritated, pulls the sweet away, causing Hanbyul to grow upset at him.

“Hey! Give that back!”

“You haven’t answered my question,” Kyungsoo says with a nonchalant shrug. The second person he likes to irk after Sehun is definitely Son Hanbyul a.k.a his new best friend. Walks after school has become a daily routine for them when they both can share how their day went. Hanbyul will be always the one to see Kyungsoo away and walks home by herself. This is to prevent Kyungsoo to know where she lives.

Truthfully, Hanbyul’s mansion is quite far from Kyungsoo’s apartment. Hanbyul has to take the subway if her chauffeur doesn’t drive for her. However she is okay with it because she prefers a lively atmosphere than stuck at home. Ever since Kyungsoo came into her life, Hanbyul realizes that she isn’t alone and Kyungsoo will be always there for her. He is like her best friend that she will cherish forever. She even writes about Kyungsoo as her best friend on an English essay in school. As expected, smart Hanbyul receives a clean A+ for that and she will show the essay to her best friend sooner or later.

“Okay, I live at Apgujeong Street,” Hanbyul mumbles, clearly upset. Kyungsoo moves in front of her as he walks backwards, “Really? That’s for like, the rich!”

“Shy for me to say but, I am one of them.”

“How come I don’t know?!”

Hanbyul snatches her lollipop back and continues it while smirking. “I don’t know. Maybe you’re just stupid.” Kyungsoo pouts as he shots a daring glare, returning to her left side, “Ow. My heart.” Hanbyul giggles as she walks faster to the trash bin and throws the lollipop stick away, waiting for Kyungsoo. She waves at him excitedly and Kyungsoo runs after her, as if they are little kindergarteners playing a game of tag.

“If you want,” Hanbyul says, “You can visit some time. If the coast is clear.”

“Are you sure? You told me your dad is ‘evil’.”

Hanbyul waves her hand, “We’ll have fun when he’s out. But I have to warn you, it’s quite boring there.”

“I dare to take the challenge,” Kyungsoo says in an ambitious tone. Finally, he can take another step into Hanbyul’s life. So far it sounds dangerous and risky for him, as far as Hanbyul has explained. However, he wants to go further and get to know Son Hanbyul, no matter what the circumstances are.

According to Hanbyul, her father is evil, but she doesn’t elaborate after that. So that makes Kyungsoo wonder how evil Hanbyul’s old man was. Is he like those bad guys in films, or those murderers he has read on the news every day? Maybe Mr. Son will be nice to them and accept him, just like his grandfather.

Kyungsoo hopes. But some hopes will just remain as one.

Hanbyul peers over the fence, checking the situation. Kyungsoo stands behind her, dazed. They’ve been here for more than 30 minutes already and Hanbyul still doesn’t advance to the next procedure. “Dad says he’s out to Japan tonight and will return tomorrow. Maybe you can visit now!” Hanbyul chirps excitedly, and Kyungsoo returns her a smile. Hanbyul checks once again and once it was clear, she grips Kyungsoo’s wrist and drags him inside.

“Are you sure this is okay?” Kyungsoo’s tone worried. Hanbyul flashes him an assuring smile. Worried Kyungsoo is still cute. Thankfully, the house is empty since the staffs were on vacation today and her father is currently overseas, so bringing Kyungsoo over isn’t such a sin, right? “Are you hungry?” Hanbyul asks as she struts to the kitchen and fetches a carton of orange juice.

“Uh, not really.” Kyungsoo mumbles as he secretly feels his stomach as it aches. Soft growling noises can be heard as Hanbyul pours down two glasses of apple juice. She turns to Kyungsoo who is currently muttering curses under his breath. Understood, she takes a seat at the counter and calls Kyungsoo to join her. Kyungsoo hesitates.

“Come on, it’s like 1 PM and I’m sure you’re starving,” Hanbyul says smugly. Kyungsoo pouts as he joins her at the counter. “Drink this while I make something for us,” Hanbyul crawls off her seat and searches the refrigerator for something edible. However, the thing is. Hanbyul is a horrible cook.

I’ll disappoint Kyungsoo later if it’s like this; Hanbyul scowls at the veggies and fruits in the refrigerator. She wishes she can pull off something delicious like Kyungsoo cooked for her last time. “What… do you want to eat?” Hanbyul asks carefully. “You don’t have to,” Kyungsoo refuses, Hanbyul glances at him worriedly.

“But you’re hungry.”

“I don’t want to burden you.”

“I feel bad,” Hanbyul hangs her head, ashamed. “The truth is, I can’t cook.” She confesses in a regretful tone, Kyungsoo’s eyes widen. “Seriously?” Hanbyul shots him a death glare, “Don’t make me admit it twice. It’s embarrassing.”

Kyungsoo stifles a laugh before saying, “It’s okay. You can always learn. I was once a horrible cook before my grandfather taught me.”

“Your grandfather is a great cook like you too?”

Kyungsoo nods. “Wow, boys these days are definitely capable,” Hanbyul remarks, causing Kyungsoo to smirk in amusement. “I have to admit though, I’m kind of hungry,” he gets up, “I’ll cook for us.”

Hanbyul is surprised by his statement and retorts, “You don’t have to!”

“Let me, I like cooking. You can help me with preparing the ingredients anyway.”

Hanbyul is silent for a moment, thinking. She should let Kyungsoo do it, he’s better than her.

 

After the delicious meal, Kyungsoo takes a tour around Hanbyul’s home under her guide. He is amazed by everything in the mansion, the rooms are ten times bigger than his apartment and he feels bad about Hanbyul’s stay a few nights before. She must’ve felt uncomfortable since his house is far from his. But how come Hanbyul never complains?

“And this is my room,” Hanbyul gestures to the door and opens it, revealing her simple yet beautiful room. Kyungsoo is in awe; never he thought of Hanbyul’s room would be like this. She has never spoken of her wealth before so Kyungsoo guesses she lives in a mere terrace house or something. But he is completely wrong.

This room is wonderful to Kyungsoo’s point of view. The furnishing suits the atmosphere and Kyungsoo pictures a relaxing beach house in his mind because he can see the swimming pool from here through the full length window. But what caught Kyungsoo’s interest was the white piano which stood proudly in the middle of the room. He steps unconsciously grew closer to it and his fingers brush through the instrument, obviously amazed by it. Hanbyul watches him amusedly; she has never seen this side of Kyungsoo before.

Before Kyungsoo could know it, Hanbyul’s voice awakens him from his daydream. “You play?” she asks, currently sitting down at the piano, stretching her fingers while smiling at the college student. Kyungsoo snickers, “Do you?”

Hanbyul answers him by playing a short piece of Beethoven and Kyungsoo was wrong again. Apparently, Hanbyul is quite talented. “You’re good,” he comments thoughtfully. Hanbyul chuckles shyly, cheeks red from the sincere compliment. “Come and play with me.”

Kyungsoo sits beside Hanbyul and his fingers dart to the keys of the piano. Hanbyul starts off with a slow soothing melody and Kyungsoo’s fingers run through the keys gracefully, joining her afterwards. The piece was Mozart’s, Hanbyul always loved playing this. But it somehow sounds better with Kyungsoo beside her. “You’re pretty impressive yourself,” Hanbyul grins at Kyungsoo. The college student was surprised by how close the distance of their faces right now. It was the best moment to kiss, he acknowledges but he shouldn’t cross the line despite the urge to press his lips against her right at that moment.

“I learned from my grandfather,” Kyungsoo mumbles. “You seem to get most of your knowledge from your grandfather. He must be a genius,” Hanbyul remarks, causing Kyungsoo to smile shyly.

“Maybe he is.”

“It must be great to have someone teach you,” Hanbyul says, looking up to the sky through the window, expression unreadable. “I learn everything all by myself.”

“Why?”

“No one is willing to teach me so I have to learn to not be stupid,” Hanbyul laughs. Kyungsoo stays silent, he feels bad for Hanbyul. He knows she has lived an alone and hard life, “I’m sorry to hear that.” Hanbyul plays a cheerful tone on the piano and replies to Kyungsoo, “Nah, you shouldn’t be. It’s just my life.”

“To be honest, I love my family. I don’t hate them despite what they had done before. I love mom who left me and dad who constantly ignores me. Sometimes I just want to express my gratitude to them on special days such as Father’s Day and Mother’s Day,” Hanbyul adds, “…but I just can’t.”

Kyungsoo gives her an assuring pad on the back, “You can. I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes I feel awkward expressing my love and thanks to my grandfather, but I have my way of saying thanks.”

“How?” Hanbyul looks up to him with hope. “Well,” Kyungsoo bites his lip, “I sing for him.”

“You can sing?” Hanbyul squawks in disbelief, Kyungsoo is quite offended. Having someone questioning his singing ability has never happen to him before, but Hanbyul is new so he lets her go. Singing has been Kyungsoo’s favorite hobby during leisure times and some people say he has a wonderful voice. Even his grandfather thinks so.

“Sing for me!” Hanbyul requests. Kyungsoo stares at her in confusion whether he should sing or not. It might be embarrassing but he should showcase his ability to Hanbyul, the girl he likes. Maybe she’ll fall for him after hearing his voice.

So Kyungsoo starts singing.

Hanbyul isn’t very familiar with the song, but it sounded great. It was sad, but Kyungsoo’s angelic voice tops all of it. Hanbyul gapes at him, amazed by his new talent that she has just discovered. Kyungsoo rubs his nape shyly after the song.

 “It was the first song I wrote for my grandfather,” Kyungsoo explains, “It’s to calm him down after the hard times we went through after my parents’ death. Fortunately, this song helped and brought his smile back again.”

“That song was beautiful Kyungsoo,” Hanbyul utters, “I’m surprised you have this wonderful talent!”

“Thanks,” Kyungsoo avoids her eyes, shy. “You should do this kind of stuff sometimes, to express your feelings to your father.”

Hanbyul nods, “Yup, I should. But I have a favor to ask.”

“Yes?”

“Help me with it.”

Joonmyeon stops his red Ferrari in front of the Son mansion and walks out of the vehicle in style. He spins the keys as he takes off his shades, securing it in front of his neck. He is here today to meet Mr. Son and discuss about the meeting among the shareholders of the company. He saunters to the main entrance and rings the bell, waiting for someone to answer the door for him.

The door opens after 2 minutes (Joonmyeon had been counting), revealing a laughing Hanbyul at the door. Joonmyeon is quite surprised, “Hanbyul.”

“Oh, Joonmyeon!” Hanbyul recognizes as her laugh trails off into an awkward smile, “What brings you here?”

Joonmyeon is lost in his own world at the moment as he studies Son Hanbyul. Although she is wearing a plain graphic T-shirt with gray sweatpants, she still looks beautiful to him. The heir of the Kim family questions himself how could he not fall for Hanbyul when he first met her. His lips yearning for another kiss with her as his eyes travels to her pouty, kissable lips.

Hanbyul clears and that made Joonmyeon snap back into reality. “Ah, I’m here to see your father.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. He went to Japan for a business trip, you want to come in?” Hanbyul asks and Joonmyeon steps in without hesitation. He has been here for a few times but he has never felt this nervous in this house before. It was just the two of them, Joonmyeon and Hanbyul alone in the house. So, Joonmyeon must have gone nuts because he was leaning closer to the high school girl to kiss her until a voice interrupts them.

“Hanbyul, you want to rehearse again?” In came a doe-eyed boy with handsome features and soft, dark brown hair. Joonmyeon pulls away from Hanbyul and looks away awkwardly. “Oh.” The boy stops his steps abruptly beside Hanbyul as he sees the guest.

“Hello,” Kyungsoo greets with a bow and Joonmyeon nods slightly at him. “This is Kim Joonmyeon, my father’s business partner,” Hanbyul helps to introduce the heir as he is still lost in his own world. Kyungsoo nods in acknowledgement.

“Joonmyeon, this is Do Kyungsoo. He’s my best friend.”

Both Joonmyeon and Kyungsoo are surprised to hear that sudden statement from Son Hanbyul as they stare at her in bewilderment. Hanbyul shrugs, “What?”

Kyungsoo remains silent and clears his throat while Joonmyeon fakes a cough to get rid of the awkwardness. They bow at each other once again and the atmosphere returns quite once again. Hanbyul breaks the silence, “Let’s go to the kitchen and have some juice!”

 

“How long have you known Hanbyul?”

Joonmyeon is the first to ask a question among them two. Kyungsoo glances at the faired-skin boy, slightly fairer than Sehun as far as he can remember. And he also has a similar height to Kyungsoo only he is taller, so Kyungsoo pouts in defeat as he stands beside him. Kyungsoo has a good impression of Joonmyeon because he looks trustable at the first sight.

“A few months ago,” is Kyungsoo’s short reply, it’s still awkward around him. “Oh, you go to school together?”

“I go to S.M. University,” Kyungsoo corrects and he can sense Joonmyeon mumbling something to himself. Kyungsoo decides to ignore this and waits for another question. “You two look close,” Joonmyeon manages to say after his short shame earlier. Kyungsoo nods only, not knowing what to reply.

“She looks like she has a thing for you,” Joonmyeon blurts. “Huh?” Kyungsoo squeaks.

“I think Son Hanbyul likes you, I mean look at the way she behaves around you,” Joonmyeon says as his eyes focuses on Hanbyul who is preparing some snacks for them, she would smile at Kyungsoo between the seconds. Kyungsoo’s heart misses a beat hearing that statement, realizing that it might be true because he has read these kind of stuff in romance novels before.

“I don’t know Hanbyul that long but I know that gaze, it means that she cares for you.”

Kyungsoo gulps. He is trembling as he grows nervous.

“Well done, Do Kyungsoo. You have captured Son Hanbyul’s heart.”

Kyungsoo bites his lower lip; he doesn’t care whether it will bleed or not if he chews too hard on it. The air is becoming hot and he is losing his mind. What Kim Joonmyeon said made his heart race, and raising his hopes up.


Please leave a comment and subscribe if you liked this chapter! Thank you again for reading =]