Two

How to Love: Hard to Love

 

Chapter 2

 


 

“I love you.”

Was the phrase that keeps replaying inside Hanbyul’s mind. Sehun is a nice guy, he is. But Hanbyul just cannot get herself to accept his feelings, even though she might feel the same towards him too. Sadly, Hanbyul isn't the right one for Sehun. She knows that he deserves a better girl than him. Just thinking about their future together makes her cringe. Sehun will get hurt, and Hanbyul doesn't want that.

She loved Sehun, but not in that way. They've been doing those activities for months already and Hanbyul can’t deny that with Sehun is always the best. The money Sehun had paid her was nothing. All she cares about is him. The Sehun that has always provided pure pleasure to her unlike the other men she has slept with before who wanted rough. Hanbyul was in pain.

The money she earns from all of this will land onto her father’s hands. Sometimes, Hanbyul questions herself why the heck she surrenders her body to random men when it doesn’t benefit her at all. Her life as a woman is ruined, and she confirms that she won’t fall in love with any guy she had slept with because she knows that there are better girls out there. Innocent, kind and loyal girls, unlike her. Dirty, broken and ruined. Hanbyul ponders what the purpose of her existence was.

“Why are you home early?” it is her father. Hanbyul bites her lower lip, searching for a perfect alibi.

“I finished early,” she fakes a smile, “Homework.”

Unfortunately, Mr. Son is smart enough not to buy her cheap alibi. “You ditched again? Are you crazy, Hanbyul?!” he scolds, ending it with a sharp slap on his daughter’s face. Hanbyul winces in pain as she palms her red cheek, which stings in pain. “He was a bachelor,” Mr. Son continues with a sharp glare, “How could you embarrass me like that?!”

“I’m…” Hanbyul stutters. She is afraid of her own father. People say home sweet home but her home isn’t that sweet at all. She prefers staying outdoors more than being alone with her wicked father.

“Forget it; I’ll let you go tonight.”

At that statement, Hanbyul’s face expression brightens. Never has she imagined that this very day would come. A day with no drinking, no -

“But tomorrow, I want you to sleep with Mrs. Kim’s son,” her father suddenly adds, destroying her good mood just now. Scratch the break part, her father would never give her a break on this. “I’m sure he’ll like you, and you will like him too. He pays a lot.”

Hanbyul blurts out curses mentally. She has no choice but to agree with her father. She better go to sleep early to get ready for tomorrow. Mr. Son will never change.

“You look horrible.”

The first person Sehun sees this morning was none other than Kyungsoo. The anxious expression on Kyungsoo’s face is because the absurd sight in front of him. Sehun yawns as he motions his hand, inviting Kyungsoo in his condo. Kyungsoo enters without looking at him, because Sehun wears nothing but a pair of boxers and a bird’s nest on his head.

Sehun slops to the kitchen and lazily pours a cup of mixed coffee for Kyungsoo. He hands him the drink and flops his body back onto his bed. Kyungsoo raises his eyebrow at the younger, “What happened? You’re always so bubbly in mornings.”

“Just.”

“Huh?” Kyungsoo squeaks. He takes a sip of the coffee and frowns at the bitterness. “By the way, you’re assignment is done.”

“I’m a failure.”

“…Pardon?”

Sehun sits up from the bed, still looking as messy (y) as ever, half awake. “Kyungsoo, have you ever been dumped before?”

There is a slight awkward silence in the air after that question. Kyungsoo decides to ignore it and drinks the mixed coffee to the last drop. Sehun groans in despair as she flaps his arms madly, “What’s wrong with me?! Am I not good enough?!”

“I don’t think so,” Kyungsoo is being nice.

“I’m rich, handsome and kind,” Sehun points out, “What more does she want?”

Kyungsoo blows air in his cheeks before responding, “Cheer up. It’s just a girl.”

“But I feel horrible! I’ve never experienced this kind of heartbreak before!” Sehun wails helplessly. Kyungsoo sighs; he wonders how exactly deep the pain is Sehun experiencing right now. He had been in pain before, like when his parents died while he was 8; when he tripped on his foot because the bullies were picking on him; and when he reads tragic romance novel endings.

He has read many. He knows someone’s heart would ache whilst being in love. He knows what people do after a breakup. He knows how unrequited love works. He knows everything but not detailed. Kyungsoo has read about it but has no memory of those events since he was born.

“I wish she could feel how I feel right now,” Sehun mutters, “That will prove how much I love her.”

Kyungsoo nods understandingly. He wishes himself to feel the pain also.

Today, it rained cats and dogs.

Hanbyul finishes class late and misses the bus. So, she has to wait for the next bus which will arrive in an hour or so. To top it all off, Hanbyul is soaking wet due to the rain as she forgot to bring an umbrella with her. She looks around her, looking for something to help her avoid the rain. However, the bus stop is far away and there is no way Hanbyul will run there in this kind of weather.

She is freezing cold and she expects a heavy cold after this. Coughing, she hugs her body to provide warmth. Her suffering ends when she feels no raindrops colliding with her anymore. She turns around to see a doe eyed guy smiling nervously at her. “You’re wet,” he splutters, obviously cold from the rain. Hanbyul thanked the Heavens and the guy, “Thank you,” he is like an angel sent from Heaven for her. The guy bows slightly as a gratitude. “Do you want me to help you to the bus stop?” he asks.

“It’s okay,” Hanbyul beams. “You want me to hold this umbrella for you?” the guy snorts. Hanbyul shakes her head, “No, I mean. I don’t want to burden you.”

The guy ignores her and pulls her closer to him so they both can share the umbrella. The guy leads her to the bus stop and shuts the umbrella after being under the roof. Hanbyul thanks the guy once again, feeling guilty because she owes him a lot.

“I’m Hanbyul, Son Hanbyul.”

“My name is Do Kyungsoo,” the guy says nervously. He avoids Hanbyul’s gaze as he introduces himself. “I’m studying at S.M. University.”

That statement has caught Hanbyul’s interest, “Really? I go to S.M. High.”

“Oh,” Kyungsoo nods, “Why are you alone in the rain earlier?”

Hanbyul explains everything to Kyungsoo and they unconsciously became closer as the seconds goes by. It is getting colder as the breeze washes through their drenched clothes. Hanbyul shivers and Kyungsoo grows worried at her. He takes off his jacket and slips it on her, “Here, you must be cold.”

“Ah, yes,” Hanbyul blushes. Suddenly her phone rings and she picks it up.

“Where are you, Hanbyul? I thought we agreed with Joonmyeon yesterday?” It was her father. Hanbyul snaps into reality, Mrs. Kim’s son is probably waiting for her right now. However, she isn’t in her best condition.

“I’m sorry father, but I’m not ready yet,” Hanbyul attempts.

“Not ready? Since when are you like this?” his father snaps, “If you are not ready, I’ll tell him you will come at 10 PM later. Meet him at the usual hotel by then.”

Hanbyul grunts silently, her wicked father strikes again. She approves after some hesitation and hung up. With a sigh, Hanbyul wonders how she could be ready for 5 hours from now. She glances beside her to see Kyungsoo staring at her all the time. He looks away after getting caught and scolds himself silently. Hanbyul spares a soft chuckle before saying, “Kyungsoo? May I ask for help?”

“Huh?” Kyungsoo gawks, “Help?”

“Yes, I’m in urgency,” Hanbyul notes. “Can I crash at your place for a while? My place is far from here and I don’t think it will be good for my health if I’m wet too long,” she adds. Kyungsoo is at a loss for words. This is the first time that a girl offers to visit his home. “Uh, sure,” he agrees and Hanbyul smiles in relief.

“Thank you.”

Maybe she can seduce Kyungsoo by then to make quick money for her father. Maybe after that, she won’t have to sleep with Mrs. Kim’s son any more.

 


Please leave a comment and subscribe if you liked this chapter! Thank you gain for reading =]