Seven

How to Love: Hard to Love

 

Chapter 7

 


“Ow. Kyungsoo, that hurts,” Hanbyul whines like a child behind Kyungsoo. He chuckles softly, “Sorry, I tripped on a rock.”

“Where are we going?” Hanbyul asks, and Kyungsoo can say that she reeks of alcohol. The high school girl has drunken 3 bottles of soju by herself, resulting this. She doesn’t feel like a burden to Kyungsoo; instead he loves carrying her like this. It makes him feel close to Son Hanbyul.

The streets are quite empty at this hour, but there are some people walking past them. Kyungsoo finds this crowded and uncomfortable, so he brings them both to the most peaceful place in the world, in his opinion. When they arrive, Kyungsoo sits Hanbyul down on the bench and stretched his back, tired from carrying Hanbyul. The drunken high school girl mumbles something before falls into sleep on the bench. Kyungsoo is shocked, she cannot fall asleep that quick.

Hanbyul’s head is about to collide with the wood until Kyungsoo stops it. He sits beside and leans her head on his shoulder. Yawning, Hanbyul makes her comfortable. Even on a drunken state, Hanbyul is still aware that she is with Kyungsoo and she likes the feel of his shoulder.

It feels safe and like home.

“Thanks for bringing me here,” Hanbyul mutters, referring to their happy place behind the park. Kyungsoo smiles as he looks up to the night sky. It is beautiful that night since there are stars all over. “So beautiful…” he unconsciously mumbles. Hanbyul catches his statement and shot awake, “Huh?”

“Ah, I mean the stars,” Kyungsoo says sheepishly. Hanbyul snorts at him, punching his arm, “I thought you said I am beautiful.”

You are, Kyungsoo just cannot say it out loud. He doesn’t want to take advantage of drunken Hanbyul. However, it is Hanbyul who takes the golden chance. “Tell me about you.”

“Me?” Kyungsoo squeaks, “Why would you want to know?”

“Just tell me anything, I wouldn’t remember by the time I wake up anyway. Let it all out,” Hanbyul says. Kyungsoo doesn’t trust her at first, but then he thinks it might be effective. It’s Hanbyul by the way, not a stranger.

“I’m a nerd in S.M.U and no one cares,” Kyungsoo begins, Hanbyul gives him a slight nod to let him continue. “Just as you found out yesterday, I’m the President of the Book Club. And you know I live alone with my grandfather in a normal apartment. I’m not as rich as you.”

Kyungsoo decides to continue, “My parents died in an accident when I was only one week old. It was my grandfather who took all the responsibility taking care of me. Until now, he has raised me into the good person I am. I’m thankful for him, but I never get the chance to thank him.”

“Well, just say it. It won’t hurt,” Hanbyul snaps at him, and Kyungsoo swears that he does not wish to see a drunken Hanbyul anymore. “I want to, but… I’m a coward. That’s why I don’t have many friends. I mean who doesn’t want to be friends with me, or even worse, date me? I bet my future is forever alone,” Kyungsoo blurts out everything in mind. His mood turns serious all of the sudden. Hanbyul is right, now that he has let everything out of his chest, he felt better.

“Me.”

Kyungsoo glances towards Hanbyul who is already sound asleep, head on his shoulder.

“I want to be your friend,” Hanbyul says in her sleep. Kyungsoo gulps, it is a short and straightforward statement; but why does it feel like she meant something else other than the obvious meaning? Sighing, Kyungsoo looks up to the sky again. He finally finds the brightest star so far and closes his eyes to make a wish.

It is childish, but it doesn’t hurt to play along.

I wish my life will be more interesting.

“I like you, Kyungsoo,” Hanbyul mumbles. And Kyungsoo tries hard not to believe that statement. It is probably random, since Hanbyul is drunk right now. Who knows she says what she doesn’t mean? Kyungsoo sighs; his habit of over-thinking has brought him too far. Maybe Hanbyul meant she likes him as a friend.

Yes, just a friend.

“Uh,” Hanbyul wakes up to a pain in the head. She feels dizzy and thirsty; thankfully there is a glass of water in front of her. She grabs it from that person’s hold and gulps it down. Then, she continues dazing into space, returning to reality.

“Good morning,” a soft voice greets. Hanbyul blinks a few times and she finds out that it is Kyungsoo. “Oh, morning…” she mumbles, with her head down, getting rid of her morning breath. Kyungsoo chuckles, “You can brush your teeth in the bathroom. The pink toothbrush is for you.”

“Thanks,” Hanbyul says before leaving. She is in Kyungsoo’s room, and he obviously wakes up earlier than her. Hanbyul checks her body and it is still the same as light night, so that means Kyungsoo didn’t do anything to her. She just slept on his bed and wakes up to him wearing an apron. What a wonderful sight.

Hanbyul goes into the bathroom to wash up while Kyungsoo I busy preparing breakfast the both of them. His grandfather didn’t come home last night but he called telling Kyungsoo that he will be home later this morning. Kyungsoo thinks that it will be quite okay if Hanbyul stays for breakfast. Today, he makes fried rice and some milk orange juice for breakfast and he hopes Hanbyul will like it.

While he is setting the table, suddenly the apartment door clicks, revealing his grandfather who has just arrived. Kyungsoo gasps, not knowing what to do.

“Business finished fast, so I’m here,” his grandfather smiles and Kyungsoo bows at him as a greeting. He is worried of Hanbyul who is still in the bathroom. He is 100% sure that his grandfather will misunderstand the situation later on.

“Oh, you didn’t have to cook for me,” his grandfather examines the food while gulping, “But I admit I’m kind of hungry. Thank you, son.”

“Ah,” is Kyungsoo’s only reply.

“What are your plans later?” the old man asks. Kyungsoo pauses for a second and wonders what he will do today. “Maybe study,” Kyungsoo replies warily. “Don’t you have a girlfriend? Just go on a date,” his grandfather says, and Kyungsoo’s eyes shot at the bathroom. Any minute now, Hanbyul is going to come out.

“Kyungsoo, I’m done,” Hanbyul says as she steps out of the bathroom, stretching her body, completely unaware of the situation. Kyungsoo’s grandfather is surprised to hear an uncommon voice in the apartment. Kyungsoo palms his face. Just then, Hanbyul appears into the kitchen and shot wide awake after seeing an unfamiliar old man with them.

“Hello,” Hanbyul bows politely. “Who are you?” Kyungsoo’s grandfather asks.

“I’m Son Hanbyul, uhh…”

“…Kyungsoo’s girlfriend?” his grandfather finishes the statement. Kyungsoo bites his lower lip, they are doomed. “Why didn’t you tell me sooner, son?” his grandfather suddenly becomes friendly. “Nice to meet you, young lady. Would you mind having breakfast with us?”

Hanbyul and Kyungsoo exchange uneasy looks with each other. Kyungsoo mouths an apology to Hanbyul and all she can do is smile and lets it go. She takes a seat at the table and Kyungsoo follows her, beside her. Kyungsoo’s grandfather smiles at her, “You’re really pretty. I’m happy you’re with our Kyungsoo.”

“Grandpa,” Kyungsoo whines and Hanbyul chuckles at him, “Me too.”

“Kyungsoo is a great cook, I’m sure you’ll love his cooking,” his grandfather asks and Kyungsoo is the only one in an odd mood among them. It feels weird seeing Hanbyul and his grandfather in a friendly manner which is quite far from his expectation. “I agree, I’ve tasted it before,” Hanbyul takes a spoonful of the fried rice and hums in delight, glancing at Kyungsoo, “It tastes wonderful!”

“I’m glad you liked it, young lady,” Kyungsoo grandfather laughs.

“Oh please, just call me Hanbyul.”

“Thank you, Hanbyul for accepting Kyungsoo.”

Hanbyul glances at Kyungsoo with a warm smile, it looks sincere. Kyungsoo is the only one who is going nuts here.

 

“I’m really sorry again…”

“Relax, Kyungsoo. I owe you a favor,” Hanbyul beams, “I’m okay.” However, Kyungsoo still feels bad. The fact that Hanbyul has to pretend as his girlfriend in front of his grandfather bothers him; and not to say that they have to lie to the old man sp he won’t misunderstand.

“Anyways, I apologize,” Kyungsoo attempts again, rubbing his palms together. Hanbyul laughs, “Thank you for last night.”

“Huh?”

“Thanks to you, my worries are gone now. You’re the best, Kyungsoo!” Hanbyul hold up two thumbs up for him and Kyungsoo blushes shyly. “I’ll see you later.”

“Me too,” Kyungsoo waves at Hanbyul who is now leaving. A part of him wants her to stay, and he wishes what his grandfather says earlier is true. Son Hanbyul as his girlfriend, it will be his honor.

“How was our lovely daughter?” Mr. Son sips his coffee as he is having a casual conversation with Joonmyeon right now. A playful smile plasters on Joonmyeon’s face, “Oh, I can’t put it into words.”

“I’m glad you liked it,” Mr. Son smiles. “If you want more, I can ask her.”

“No, it’s okay. I will call her anytime.”

Mr. Son nods approvingly, “Good.” Joonmyeon takes the moment to examine the old man. He knows that Mr. Son has dirty tricks behind his back. The way the treats his own daughter is more than enough to be obvious. Joonmyeon has to admit that he doesn’t pretty favor Mr. Son because he knows how slick that old man is. He is capable of doing anything just for the sake of money.

Joonmyeon sympathizes Luhan, and also Hanbyul. Luhan has been his best friend for years and his mother had to marry Hanbyul’s father just for money. As far as he knows, Hanbyul’s mother divorced Mr. Son for another man and leaves Hanbyul on his hands. All these times, he thought Mr. Son treats his daughter as valuable as his wealth but apparently Joonmyeon is wrong.

When he finds out that Hanbyul is a e, he is more than shocked. Even Luhan doesn’t know. Joonmyeon wants to help this family, and he promises himself he would.

He doesn’t want to see Han Enterprises break just because of a small family problem. Watching Luhan getting hurt isn’t in his expectations list and to Hanbyul, let’s just say that Joonmyeon is interested in taking care of her heart so her future will have some light awaiting her.


Please leave a comment and subscribe if you liked this chapter! Thank you again for reading =]