Three

How to Love: Hard to Love

 

Chapter 3

 



The next thing Kyungsoo knew is that he is standing in his living room, staring at his new friend Hanbyul making herself at home. After changing into some comfortable clothes, Hanbyul sits on the couch in the living room for some rest under Kyungsoo’s permission of course. If his grandfather sees her, he will definitely throw a fit saying Kyungsoo giving up school for some girl.

But a part of that statement is quite true though; Kyungsoo is ditching school just to take care of a mere high school girl. He has a lecture right now but Kyungsoo passes it off. Besides, he can just study by himself.

“You have a comfy home,” Hanbyul states as she bounces herself on the couch, “It’s very far from mine but I kind of like yours more.”

How so? A question that has been struggling between Kyungsoo’s lips. He just swallows it all back and decides to just stay quiet and not doing anything. “Oh.”

“I’m sorry again for bothering you,” Hanbyul’s smile is forced, Kyungsoo can tell. “I’m just… well, let’s just say I’m a trouble maker.”

Kyungsoo follows his conscience urging him to take a seat beside her and lend the high school girl an ear. His heart is racing and his hands are trembling as he moves closer to her. Kyungsoo questions himself why is he feeling like this in front of a girl? She’s just a girl, what’s the problem?

“I hate going home,” Hanbyul confesses, eyes on the ground. “It doesn’t feel like home at all. My father hates me and demands me to do things I despise, but I still do it because he’s my father and I love him. I can’t fight him.”

Silence. It’s not awkward.

Hanbyul hangs her head lower and Kyungsoo can hear her sobbing silently. Droplets of tears fall onto the ground, making Kyungsoo feel guilty even though it isn’t his fault at all. He wants to comfort the weak girl in front of him and tell her everything’s fine, but he doesn’t know her enough to make decisions and judge her. “Don’t… Don’t cry,” Kyungsoo manages to pat her back while stuttering the words. He is nervous for no reason.

“I’m sorry, really sorry,” Hanbyul sobs; the second sorry has a different feel in it. As if it was meant for something else. “I’m a burden to you, we’ve just met and look at me,” she adds. Kyungsoo bites his lips, he leaves the couch and kneels down in front of her to meet her crying face, “Hey, look. Don’t cry. I don’t know what’s going on but I know you’re strong. You can face this obstacle bravely like the strong person you are.”

Hanbyul looks up to his eyes, they were glimmering. That pair of wide eyes appeal to her, and not to mention his full lips. Trying to stop crying, Hanbyul breathes in. It is her chance; she has to please her father after all. And Kyungsoo looks like just the one who is hungry for her right now. Despite her guilt for her new friend, Hanbyul has no decision left.

She leans in slowly to Kyungsoo and he widens his eyes. “Uh,” he croaks, startled. Hanbyul’s face is getting closer; her lips are centimeters away from his. Kyungsoo gulps and falls on his bottom. When their lips are about to touch, “Wha- What are you doing?” Kyungsoo whispers in fear, lips brushing against hers. Hanbyul cups his face, “Don’t you want this?”

“Huh?”

“To kiss me,” Hanbyul pulls away, looking at him in disbelief, “And you know, get laid.”

“Why?” Kyungsoo’s mind is blank right now. “Don’t you want it?” Hanbyul asks, looking confused. Kyungsoo shrugs, “Uh. I don’t know.”

“Weird, they always ask for this from me.” Hanbyul pulls away, resuming sitting on the couch. “Maybe I’m not ‘them’,” Kyungsoo says.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Hanbyul sighs, cheeks glowing red. She is embarrassed; surely she is going to lose Kyungsoo as a friend right now. “I’m… I’m just going to leave.”

“Why?” Kyungsoo’s voice sounds desperate. “Don’t you want me to leave?” Hanbyul asks.

“No,” Kyungsoo replied, “You can stay. Make yourself at home.” He doesn’t know what he is saying but he thinks it is the best thing to say right now.

“Really?”

A pause, “Yeah.”

Kyungsoo wonders once again how he becomes weird just because of a high school girl.

 

 

“I apologize for my daughter’s absence,” Mr. Son bows his head in shame in front of the Kims during dinner. He and Hanbyul are scheduled to have a dinner with them in a Chinese restaurant this evening but unfortunately Hanbyul cannot attend the dinner. Mr. Son promises himself to give her a good scolding when she returns home tonight.

“Its okay, CEO,” the only son and heir of the wealthy Kim family assures. Joonmyeon flashes his signature smile to the old man and Mr. Son feels in relief already. “Maybe your daughter is busy,” he adds, earning a chuckle from Mr. Son.

“If she was here, I bet you’ll like her,” Mr. Son grins, “Our Hanbyul is lovely.”

“I see. I hope to meet her in the future.”

And pay her for a one night stand, Mr. Son chuckles and sips his Chinese tea.

Mrs. Kim, Joonmyeon’s mother is seated beside her son. “Me too. I’m sure Hanbyul is going to be the heiress of your company in the future,” she says.

“Oh no, she isn’t,” Mr. Son denies, “It’s Luhan who’s going to take over my place.”

“Isn’t Luhan your adopted son? Is he capable?” Mrs. Kim sounds worried. Luhan, who is a few years older than Hanbyul was adopted into the Son family when he was nine. The very year of Mr. Son and his wife’s divorce. Hanbyul was their only child before then, until the divorce. The responsibility of taking care of Hanbyul was given to Mr. Son. Since then, he has despised his own daughter and cancelled her name as the heiress of his wealth then gave it to Luhan, his adopted son who is now in China.

Since then, Mr. Son has given up on Hanbyul’s future and asks her to be a e instead. He believes that it was the only profession she is capable of. He has never seen how good she was in school before and never wanted to. Hanbyul is just a minor e so he could make easy money from her.

“Yes, he is,” Mr. Son smiles, “He’s training right now. Please look forward to work with our Luhan in the future.”

Mrs. Kim and Joonmyeon share worried gazes together. Something’s very fishy around here and Mr. Son is hiding it from everyone.

Kyungsoo sighs in relief, his grandfather stayed outdoors for tonight and he can make sure that Hanbyul is pretty safe with him right now. The said high school girl is sound asleep on the couch after sobbing earlier. He pities her; Hanbyul’s story sounded tragic.

Why does her father hate him? What does she mean by ‘they always ask this from me’? Hanbyul is a mysterious girl, and Kyungsoo can’t help but feel curious of everything about her. Kyungsoo has to admit that Hanbyul is quite pretty and attractive, she draws him in. The moment she was about to kiss him earlier made the world stop for Kyungsoo.

Maybe this is love? Kyungsoo guesses but he just cannot interpret what was the foreign feeling he felt earlier while with Hanbyul. Was this how Sehun feels when he fell for the girl he was upset over earlier this morning?

Whatever it is, it felt good. Kyungsoo wants to feel this again, he wants to know more about Hanbyul and be a good friend for her. Kyungsoo wishes he can heal her wounds earlier so she can smile again.

It was too soon to feel like this, but Kyungsoo can’t help it. He wishes to experience love with Son Hanbyul.

 


 

Please leave a comment and subscribe if you liked this chapter! Thank you for reading =]

P/S: To the new readers, you're truly angels <3 OTL but, kamsa <3