Nine

How to Love: Hard to Love

 

Chapter 9

 


Hanbyul grips onto her paper tightly as she read her essay all over again. She yawns due to lack of fatigue since she stayed up late last night finishing this. It was her first time staying up very late only to finish her English homework. Hanbyul smiles in satisfaction as she is pleased by her own masterpiece.

“Son Hanbyul, please come up to the front and read out your essay,” the teacher calls, causing Hanbyul to startle. She begins to grow nervous at the thought of standing in front of the class, telling them about her best friend. However when she thinks of that person’s smile again, her soul relaxes and she can go up front at ease.

“Uh,” Hanbyul mutters before starting, “This is an essay about my best friend. He’s my first best friend and I’ll cherish him until the end. I spent the whole night just to perfect this.”

And so she went on with her essay. Students and the teacher listen to her reading attentively. Although Hanbyul was nervous, but she did her best because of him. He is the purpose to Hanbyul’s happiness nowadays. Students find a constantly grinning Hanbyul is quite odd because she rarely smiles and talks to anyone. Hanbyul has always kept a low profile among the people at school, but she is popular.

“I’ve met him not long ago but he explores deeper into me as we spend time with each other. He listens to all my concerns and I listen to his; we comfort each other during hard times because we kind of have the same route of life. He’s a friend that I will never forget, Do Kyungsoo.”

 

“Kyungsoo, wait!”

Hanbyul sprints to Kyungsoo who is just about to leave as it is already quite late for his dinner time. His grandfather must be waiting for him but Kyungsoo can just stop by at a pizza house and bring home a pizza for dinner. When the high school girl arrives at him, she is panting for air as she supports his weak knees. Hanbyul fans herself, “I have something to tell you…”

“What is it?” Kyungsoo is curious of what makes Hanbyul waste her energy for this. Hanbyul smiles, “You know, I wrote something about you?”

Kyungsoo stays silent for an answer. Hanbyul smirks at him, “My best friend, Do Kyungsoo.”

“Huh?”

“Here,” Hanbyul hands her a sheet of paper which seems like her homework. Kyungsoo eyes it for a while, hesitating to accept it. “Come on, read it! It’s for you,” Hanbyul convinces the college student by whining. Kyungsoo chews on his bottom lip, feeling tempted by her cuteness. He curses himself for falling easily into adorable stuff. Hanbyul starts to pout at him with teary eyes and that is when Kyungsoo gives up.

“Okay,” the university student accepts the work and waves at her, “I have to leave now. See you tomorrow!”

“Thanks, Kyungsoo! See you tomorrow too.”

Kyungsoo smiles back at her and walk out the Son residence. It had been a fun and hectic day with Hanbyul inside her home and he can guess she will be lonely without him. He wonders whether Hanbyul smile like that every moment or just when they are together.

The essay in hand, Kyungsoo denies himself as an important person in Hanbyul’s life. He will never be.

Hanbyul stands outside S.M. University as she glances at her phone. It is a text message from Kyungsoo saying that he will be out in just a few minutes. Still in her uniform, Hanbyul decides to wait for Kyungsoo after school because she needs help from him with something. University students would walk past her and give her strange looks but Hanbyul is too busy for that since her mind is quite occupied with thoughts of her best friend.

The high school student checks once again and finally she spots a familiar boy jogging towards her. A big grin plasters on her face as Kyungsoo is getting nearer. The urge to hug him is denied since Hanbyul thought that it might cross the line of their friendship.

“Did you wait long?” Kyungsoo asks as he pants, clutching his books and his backpack behind him. Hanbyul laughs and snatches the books away from him to reduce his burden, “Not really. You are quick this time.”

“I’m sorry,” Kyungsoo mumbles and Hanbyul gives him a soft nudge on the arm, “Let’s go shopping!”

“Huh, why?”

“It’s Joonmyeon’s birthday and I need to pick up something for him but I don’t know what guys like so maybe you can help me,” Hanbyul explains in one go. The university student eyes her in disbelief, “It’s his birthday?” Hanbyul nods as an answer. She suddenly receives a video call from someone and she picks it up. It is Joonmyeon.

“Heeey there, sport,” Joonmyeon smiles, eyes forming mini crescent moons. “You’re invited to my birthday party later!”

Kyungsoo peeks at Hanbyul and finds out that Joonmyeon is video calling her. Joonmyeon spots Kyungsoo and the heir of the Kim family grins nicely, “Kyungsoo! You are invited too!”

“Huh?”

“To his birthday party,” Hanbyul whispers to Kyungsoo and the university student nods understandingly. “Thank you,” Kyungsoo says rather shyly, but Joonmyeon takes it as a yes. The younger boy is quite fun to tease since they first met yesterday. “Be at my house at 6 you two, don’t be late or you won’t get the cake!” Joonmyeon sings poetically, Kyungsoo laughs at his fail humor. Hanbyul eyes him oddly and returns to Joonmyeon, “We will. Happy birthday Joonmyeon!”

“Save that for tonight,” Joonmyeon winks before hanging up. Hanbyul stores her phone inside her pocket and turns to Kyungsoo, “Told you. We should get something for him now!” Immediately, Hanbyul grabs Kyungsoo’s hand and drags him to the nearest shopping mall to fetch something as a present for Joonmyeon’s birthday.

It has always been like this. After school, the two will spend time together and get to know each other until they went to separate homes at the end of the day. The routine continues almost every day and this is how Kyungsoo and Hanbyul grow closer to each other.

Sehun walks out of the campus with girls surrounding him whom he doesn’t care. He glances to his side and saw his friend Kyungsoo and a familiar high school girl, walking together. His steps stop abruptly, startling his fan girls. He can finally recognize who the girl was until she turns to Kyungsoo, beaming at him.

Son Hanbyul?

 

“Would this look good on Joonmyeon?” Hanbyul holds up a shirt at Kyungsoo to check whether it will look good at him or not. She purses her lip as her mind doing the math of what is the best present for Joonmyeon. Kyungsoo sighs heavily when he checks his phone; they have already been here for more than an hour.

“Ah, I really don’t know!” Hanbyul stomps her feet, frustrated. Kyungsoo puts the shirt back into place and gives the high school girl a reassuring pat on the shoulder, “Maybe we can look for something else.”

“What else does Joonmyeon likes?” Hanbyul looks up to him hopefully. They exit the men’s department and stroll around the mall together, searching for something that Joonmyeon will actually like. Kyungsoo thought of a watch but he thinks that’s too expensive and he pretty sure he saw a Rolex clasped around Joonmyeon’s wrist yesterday. They walk past a pet shop and Hanbyul is attracted to a certain puppy.

“Aww! He’s so cute!” Hanbyul exclaims in delight as she crouches down to see the puppy. Kyungsoo follows her from behind and is quite impressed also. The small animal wigs its tail at them as it barks continuously as if he is happy to see them both. It has soft, creamy fur all over its body and has big, doe eyes like Kyungsoo. Hanbyul remarks, “He looks just like you, Kyungsoo!”

Kyungsoo laughs awkwardly, realizing that statement is quite true. “What do you think we get him for Joonmyeon?” Hanbyul suggests. Kyungsoo suddenly thought of the same, great idea. “Ah, yes! Its’ really cute too, maybe Joonmyeon will like it.”
 

“Unless he’s allergic to animals,” Hanbyul jokes.

Eventually, they bought the puppy earlier with a fair price and go home together to prepare for the party.

“Joonmyeon’s house is not far from mine, you want a ride?” Hanbyul offers. “Oh, no need. I’ll use my scooter,” the college student denies. He surely doesn’t want to burden Hanbyul again. “Ok then,” Hanbyul pouts sadly, but she is okay. As long as Kyungsoo attends the party with her. “In the meantime, I’ll bring this boy home; we’ll meet each other at my house later. Okay?”

Kyungsoo nods in agreement. He will definitely be there.

That evening, Kyungsoo gapes as Hanbyul walks out from her crib, a piece of pale blue knee length dress covering her body. The high school girl has worn her hair up into a bun, making her look cuter according to Kyungsoo. Hanbyul looks way to beautiful that she is before and Kyungsoo can’t take his eyes off her at all.

“Aigoo, our little baby can’t wait to meet her new master,” Hanbyul sings at the puppy cage she is holding. Kyungsoo stifles a giggle; she appears so motherly at that moment. “You’re ready?” Kyungsoo asks as he walks to his purple scooter, and Hanbyul chuckles at him. “Yeah, let’s go.”

Hanbyul is seated behind Kyungsoo on the scooter. She has to hug his waist from the back to confirm her security. Kyungsoo’s hart races at the sudden skinship, they have never been this intimate before. But Kyungsoo chooses to adjust himself with the situation so Hanbyul will remain safe behind him. “Hold… tight,” the university student manages to stutter.

He starts the vehicle and drove off the street. According to Hanbyul, Joonmyeon’s home is a few blocks away so they should be fine around her. Warm, evening breeze brushes past them both as Kyungsoo drives. The high school girl finds this atmosphere relaxing as if her worries are washed away by the wind.

When they arrive, the party has already started and people are already going in and out of the place. Loud pop music played in the background. Since it was Kyungsoo’s first time attending these kinds of parties, an unusual feeling wash over him as he climbs off his scooter. “Let’s go!” Hanbyul assures as the university student trails behind her.

“You guys finally came!” Joonmyeon welcomes them both sarcastically in an agitated voice. Kyungsoo’s expression changes to worried as he glances at Hanbyul until she holds up their present for the heir, “Surprise!”

“Huh?” Joonmyeon blinks at the dog cage, “What’s this, an animal?”

He opens it and suddenly the puppy charges towards him. Joonmyeon falls down on his bottom as he screeches in pain, the puppy him all over his face. The screaming trails off into a laugh, “Oh my Goodness, you bought me a puppy?”

The guests ‘aww’ed at Kyungsoo and Hanbyul’s present. They exchange proud smiles, watching a happy Joonmyeon petting his new friend. “Thank you guys. This is the best gift I’ve ever received!”

“Glad you’d like it.” Hanbyul clings onto Kyungsoo and they enter the living room where the main party runs. “Joonmyeon likes our present! Props for you, Kyungsoo,” Hanbyul beams. Their position makes Kyungsoo feel awkward because they are not really a couple of lovers. They advance to the punch area and get themselves some drinks as they chat with each other.

Sehun has arrived not long after and gave Joonmyeon his gift. Joonmyeon is one of his best friends so he is also invited to this party. They flower boy walks to the living room and stops when he encounters a familiar couple.

Son Hanbyul and Kyungsoo?


Please leave a comment and subscribe if you liked this chapter! Thank you again for reading =]