Youngmin

Of Friendship and Stuff (Boyfriend Fanfiction)

 

Minwoo hadn’t gotten over what had happened last night. The fire, Youngmin, Snowy. He just couldn’t wrap it around his head as to how these things happpened, and why they happened so fast. The fire brigade got there just in time to stop the fire from spreading, but it was too late for Snowflake and Snowy. Minwoo remembered how Youngmin cried all night, refusing to go back to bed. He looked to his right, Youngmin was there, sleeping between him and Kwangmin. He was sleeping peacefully, a single tear on his right cheek. Minwoo wondered how Youngmin would take it in when he woke up. Minwoo got up slowly, careful as not to wake both Kwangmin and Youngmin up. He went to the shower to freshen up and change his clothes. When he finished dressing, he went back to find Kwangmin already awake and sitting on the edge of the bed. Kwangmin looked at Minwoo pleadingly. Minwoo nodded, he understood. Kwangmin wanted Minwoo to stand guard over Youngmin while he would take a bath. So Minwoo sat on the edge of the bed while Kwangmin took his shower. 5 minutes later, Youngmin was waking up. Panicking, Minwoo told himself to calm down and face what was going to happen. Youngmin got up slowly, he looked around the room. His eyes caught Minwoo’s, Minwoo gave him his most encouraging smile. Then Youngmin simply nodded, but his eyes were already full of tears. Minwoo only had one remedy that his father had taught him: “No matter how sad the circumstances are, what all of us really need is a hug.” And when Minwoo reasoned out with his father that it was a girlish thing to do, his father only smiled at him.

Youngmin was suddenly surprised. Minwoo had suddenly hugged him. With all his might, he returned the hug. He couldn’t stop the tears.

“It’s okay hyung.” Minwoo said. “All of us are here for you.”

Kwangmin had already finished bathing when he saw Minwoo hugging Youngmin and comforting him. He smiled. Minwoo had a lot of personalities, but being able to know what to do next was what he admired with Minwoo. Just then, there came a soft knock on the door. And Hyunseong and Jeongmin entered. Minwoo let go of Youngmin.

“Thank you.” Said Youngmin to Minwoo, his voice cracking. “Thank you all of you.”

“Eyy. Don’t worry about it.” Hyunseong said. “We’ll face everything together.”

Youngmin smiled. He wiped his tears and he got up.

“I’d better freshen up.” He said to the others. And he went to the bathroom. Even though he already wiped his tears away, they just kept on coming.

 All the while in the showers, he remembered how he found Snowy: “He was about seven years old and was riding the limo on the way home from school. The limo had stopped when it reached a red light. Youngmin had looked outside and had seen a small box that seemed to move. He got curious and asked the driver if he could wait while he checked out the box. The driver had allowed him but only for five minutes. Youngmin wrapped himself in his scarf for it was cold out. He then went outside to the box. When he opened it, he saw a small dog there, it was dirty white, and was shivering from the cold. The dog had looked at Youngmin and immediately, Youngmin fell in love with it. Just then it started snowing. Youngmin had removed his scarf from his neck and wrapped the dog with it. And he went back to the limousine. From then on, they had become friends. He named the dog Snowy because of the snow that started falling when he found it. The name suited the dog for when Youngmin gave the dog a bath, his fur became white as lace.” Youngmin remembered all of these and the times he shared with the dog. Then another pang shot through his heart, he also remembered that Snowflake was gone. Youngmin couldn’t take it anymore, he sat in the tub and cried for a long time.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

When Youngmin joined them on the breakfast table his eyes were still red and puffy. All of them were seated at the table, Donghyun and his family left early in the morning when Mrs. Jo announced that the party would not push through. Mrs. Jo also wasn’t present for she also had left early for damages and insurance for the stables and horses. It was a long time before any of them spoke.

“Let’s go.” Hyunseong finally said.

All of them looked up, puzzled.

“What do you mean hyung?” asked Minwoo.

“Let’s go and have a proper burial for Snowy and Snowflake.” Said Hyunseong, looking at Youngmin.

Youngmin nodded.

“It seems just the right thing to do.” Kwangmin put in.

So all of them stood up, led by Hyunseong, all of them went to the back door. Youngmin felt another sharp pang of pain when he saw the remains of the once standing stables and he thought that going there once again would pain him even more. But, to his surprise, Hyunseong led them another path, which Youngmin knew would lead them straight to the lake. Hyunseong led them straight to the edge of the lake and there, Youngmin saw, was two stone tablets, both facing each other, one had a horse carved on it and one had a dog carved on it.

“We hoped you’d like it.” Said Jeongmin.

“It’s not mine.” Answered Youngmin. “It’s Snowy’s and Snowflakes’.” And he went near the two monuments.

The remaining four stood there and waited. Finally, Youngmin looked back.

“I thought you were gonna pay your respects too?” Asked Youngmin.

Smiling, all four also went near and together they paid their respects to Youngmin’s bestfriends. And then they could have sworn that there were traces of a dog’s bark and a horse’s neigh in the winds blowing.

Youngmin looked at the engraved picture of the horse. “Snowflake, I’m sorry I was not able to get there on time, please forgive me. Wherever you are please know that you’ll always have a place here in my heart.” He thought quietly, then he looked at the engraving of the dog. “Snowy, thank you so much for saving my life. It was the last thing you did and I’m grateful for it. I will never forget how you were there for me when no human being were, thank you for everything. I hope you’re happy wherever you are.” And he wiped the last tears off of his face and promised himself and both to Snowy and Snowflake that the time for grieveing for them is over and that he must go on with his life and never forget his first two animal bestfriends.