The First Day Of School

Of Friendship and Stuff (Boyfriend Fanfiction)

 

Rrrrrrriiiiiiingggggg !!

The alarm woke Minwoo up. It was still dark outside. Minwoo checked his trusty digital watch on the bedside table. It was only 4:00 in the morning. Why did he set the alarm this early again? Then he remembered. It was the first day of school. He would be going to a new school this year. He was a sophomore student. His parents were always moving him from school to school because of their jobs, until finally, his mom promised to never move again. So here he was. Facing the challenge of going yet again to a new school, and maybe this time, permanently until he graduates high school. He got up and his cat: Yuki, who was on the edge of his bed, watching with keen interest why her master got up early this morning.

After taking a shower, Minwoo went down to have breakfast. His mom was already in the kitchen when he entered.

“Goodmorning dear. Your breakfast is on the table.” She said as he entered the spotless kitchen.

“Thanks mom!” replied Minwoo, so he sat down and started to eat. “Did Kwangmin hyung pass by here already?” he asked.

“No.” She then faced Minwoo. “Why do you keep calling him hyung? When he’s only two months older than you? And don’t worry, knowing Kwangmin, he’s already preparing to come here. Nice kid. Remind me to invite him to dinner later.”

“He’s still older than me, even if by only two months.” Replied Minwoo. Kwangmin was their neighbor. When they moved in about a month ago, Kwangmin helped move in Minwoo’s things to his room. Kwangmin was finally glad that someone bought the house next to them. Because the last people who lived in the house migrated to another country along with their son who was a year older than Kwangmin. Kwangmin lived along with a house-help who he considered family. His dad died only a year ago and he lost all hope until his mom, who he has never seen contacted him. She now sends him money regularly, and she promised to come visit him sometime, when she’s not busy working.

“Don’t worry dear, your school doesn’t start until 7 a.m. it’s only 5:00 a.m. so there’s no hurry.” Minwoo’s mom said.

“Mmmmmm. Yeah.” Was Minwoo’s only reply, for he was still absored in his thoughts.

He was looking at himself in the mirror. When someone entered his room. It was him! The mirror image of himself. Only, it wasn’t an exact mirror image, the hair of the mirror image was blonde, when his was black. And he could see that the mirror image was slightly taller than him.

“Who are you?” he asked. He had asked this question a lot of times before, and he still had no reply, but now he could feel that he was finally going to have an answer.

“I’m ….” Started the mirror image, in a voice very similar and very different to his at the same time. Just then, the mirror image started to fade. And Kwangmin woke up, he was shaking. He got up groggily, and checked himself in the mirror. He saw his own reflection, not the one that he dreamt of. Then he remembered that today was his first day of sophomore year. And that Minwoo was probably waiting for him. He checked his watch, it was only 5 in the morning.

“But knowing Minwoo, he’d probably get up at four.” He chuckled to himself. So he went and took a bath, wore his uniform and went down the stairs, taking it two steps at a time. He went to the kitchen and got himself a slice of bread from their pantry stuffed it in his mouth and went to the small magnetic board that was on the fridge. He then wrote: “Going to school early, don’t bother making breakfast for me.” He then left it on top of the table for Lee, his help, to read. He was about to walk out the door when he chanced a glimpse at the calendar that hung on the door. On today’s date, there was a single word written in red ink: MOM. He totally forgot! He was so busy thinking of school and his dreams that he forgot that his mom would be coming here today! He rushed out the door and went to the house beside them.

Minwoo heard the doorbell and he quickly went to get the door. Kwangmin was standing right outside, he was out of breath.

“Whoah, did you just come from a running marathon?” Minwoo asked. “Your house is right next door hyung. How come you’re out of breath?”

“It’s *huff huff today *huff huff.” Said Kwangmin, trying to recover his breath “Come on, I’ll explain on the way to school.”

“Mom! We’re going!” Minwoo called out.

“Sure dear! And tell Kwangmin to come to dinner later!” Minwoo’s mom called out to them.

“Sure thing Mrs. No!” Kwangmin called back.

Then they went on their way.

“Anyway, what was that you were going to say again?” asked Minwoo.

“Well, my mom is coming today.” Said Kwangmin.

“What?” said Minwoo, who wasn’t sure if he heard right.

“Yeah, I know, I forgot to tell you earlier.” Kwangmin told him. “Mom told me about a week ago. She said she had a surprise for me. One that will permanently change my life.”

“What do you think it is?” Asked Minwoo.

“To tell you the truth, I really have no idea.” Answered Kwangmin, shaking his head.

“Well, whatever it is, you’ll know later on.” Said Minwoo. And on they walked, on their way to school. Minwoo was trying to memorize the way that they took, he has lived here for a month but he still hadn’t explored the whole place yet. They passed by a playground, a couple of shops and a town circle when he heard it: “DING DING DING.” School bells! And sure enough, as they turned the next corner, The school was already in sight!

“Welcome to Daeng Bak International High School!” said Kwangmin. “Come on, let’s see if we have the same class.” And he led Minwoo to the school gates and into the front doors.