Coffee Burns

100 Days With Luhan

“You’re one heck of a person, you know?” Sehun began with a small smile, his eyes glistening with sincerity. “You’re the only one who can annoy me pass my limits, but you’re also the only one who can make my day a little more exciting. You’re loud, your taste in fashion , your glasses are annoyingly huge and your pink hair is just cringe worthy. But your laugh can lighten anyone’s mood, your clothes can make anyone smile or laugh, the way your glasses covers almost half of your face is somehow kind of cute, and your pink hair describes your personality well- you’re sweet, just like the color of your hair.” Sehun took a deep breath and stared at his shoes. “I know you must be wondering why I am telling you all of this. At the beginning, you really annoyed me, you know? But now… now it’s like I am craving spending time with you. You made me realize things I’ve never even thought of before. Like how it doesn’t matter what people think, you just have to embrace who you are and be proud of yourself. You’re a really beautiful person, you know. And someone like you doesn’t deserve to be lied to. So that’s why I decided to come clean. The only reason why I started talking to you was because of a bet I made with Yifan. He told me I couldn’t get you to fall in love with me, and I told him I could. So, we made a bet. I had to make you fall in love with me within 100 days, or else I’ll lose my sports car to him. It was stupid, now that I think about it, and it’s something I’m not proud of. But you know what? I really don’t care about the bet now. I just want to start fresh with you. Do you think we’ll be able to, Luhan?”

Sehun inhaled sharply and looked up, his gaze falling on the pink haired boy behind the counter as he made Sehun’s coffee. “I just hope I’ll be able to say this directly to you without peeing myself.”

Sehun fiddled with his thumbs nervously, waiting for Luhan to approach his table. He couldn’t sleep last night, and he thought that talking to Luhan would make his anxiety vanish. So, Sehun made it a point to visit Luhan at the coffee shop after school.

“Sorry to keep you waiting.” Luhan smiled when he stopped in front of Sehun’s table, coffee in hand. “I wanted to make this coffee extra special, so I experimented a bit. I hope it doesn’t taste too bad.”

Sehun resisted the urge to pinch Luhan’s cheeks as the older boy bit his bottom lip. “You mean this is your own recipe?”

“Yeah, Minseok taught me which ingredient tastes good with what, and the idea just kind of popped in my head.”

Sehun smiled, his eyes twinkling. “I’m sure anything you make will taste good.”

Luhan chuckled and shook his head. “You are impossible.”

“That I am.” Sehun raised the cup in his hand and took a small sip.

Surprisingly, the coffee didn’t taste half bad. It was addicting, to say the least. “Wow! This tastes better than Bubble Tea, Luhan-ah!”

Luhan blushed at Sehun’s nickname. “You’re not just saying that because you’re afraid to hurt my feelings?”

“Of course not. It really tastes good.”

“Oh good.” Luhan let out a breath he never thought he was holding and placed his hand on his chest, just above his heart. “I’m really glad you like it.”

Sehun was about to say something, but the red marks on Luhan’s hand caught his attention. “Yah, what happened to your hand?”

“Oh, this?” Luhan looked at his hand. “I burnt it while I was making your coffee. Don’t worry, it will heal.”

It was as if Sehun was looking at Luhan in a new light. This boy who he hated a few weeks ago, this boy who he found annoying, this boy… he burnt his hand trying to make Sehun one of his special drinks, just because Sehun wanted to become his friend. A burst of emotions flashed through his eyes as he looked at the blushing Luhan with such admiration he never thought he possessed. But most of all, he felt guilt.

“Does it hurt?” Sehun was thankful his voice didn’t crack. He grabbed Luhan’s hand and blew on it lightly. “Did you place your hand under running water? It’ll ease the pain.”

“N-no,” Luhan stuttered. “I wanted to give you your drink first.”

“Idiot.” Sehun muttered as he released Luhan’s hand and stood up, walking towards Minseok who was cleaning the counter.

He said something to Minseok, and the other boy glanced at Luhan with worry and nodded. Sehun came back to Luhan and grabbed his uninjured hand and dragged him towards the kitchen.

“Sehun? What are you doing?”

“Just shut up and follow me.” That shut Luhan up.

Sehun stopped in front of the sink, turned the tap on and positioned Luhan’s injured hand under the running water. “See, it doesn’t hurt so bad now, does it?”

Luhan bit his lip and shook his head. “It feels cooler now.”

Sehun glanced at Luhan, who refused to make eye contact. “Aish, what am I going to do with you?” He said as he ruffled Luhan’s pink hair.

“You can take me to the theme park this Saturday!” Luhan happily suggested. “If you’re free, that is.”

“You,” Sehun said with a poker face, jabbing Luhan’s chest with his index finger. “Are the most random person I have ever met.”

“I’m cool like that.” Luhan replied, sticking his tongue out.

Sehun guessed his confession had to wait until then.