dude looks like a lady

Graduating Batch of Gay

~*~

  “Kyuhyun, honey,” the teenager’s concerned mother called, bringing him out of his troubled thoughts. “Are you okay? You’ve hardly touched your appetizer.”

  “Oh, here comes the waitress with our food.” His mother remarked. “Is it me or does she look a little mannish?”

  Curious, Kyuhyun picked his head up and looked at said waitress, only to realize that she was neither a waitress nor a woman. He couldn’t help but stare at her…or rather, him as he served them their meals.

  “I don’t know what you’re talking about, mom.” Kyuhyun said once he composed himself. “I think she looks beautiful.”

  The so-called waitress shot a wink in his direction before walking away, making sure to sway his hips as he did.

  “Did she just wink at you?” Kyuhyun’s date, Suzy, asked, looking quite amused for some reason.

  “Kyuhyun, how can you call another woman beautiful when you’re sitting right next to your lovely date?” his dad scolded.

  Kyuhyun mustered out a lame ‘sorry’ before excusing himself to go to the bathroom. As he left the table, he adjusted his necktie as he searched the crowded room for the ‘waitress’ that just brought them their food. He was just about to duck into the kitchen in hopes of finding him in there, but an arm grabbed his elbow and pulled him behind a large plant before he could.

  “Okay, before you say anything,” the shorter boy in disguise started before the other could. “Don’t my legs look amazing in this skirt? Plus, this outfit really does wonders for my hips. I’m seriously beginning to consider becoming a waitress for real…”

  “Yes, honey, you look wonderful.” He said dismissively. “Sungmin, what are you doing here? How did you even get a waitress outfit?”

  Sungmin shot him a knowing, mischievous look, causing Kyuhyun to retract his question, “Forget I asked. But seriously, what are you doing here?”

  “I came here to check out the competition.” He folded his arms across his fake s and put on the straightest face he had. “Are you kidding me with that date of yours? I am way prettier than she is!”

  “You think I don’t know that?” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. “But rest assured, there isn’t going to be any competition.”

  “You can say that again,” Sungmin scoffed. “Your date pales in comparison to me.”

  “She is not my date. Well, technically, she is, but it’s not like I like her or anything.” He insisted. “She’s not even the I like.”

  “What are we gonna do about this then?” he asked. “I will not tolerate you pretending to date that or something; Lee Sungmin does not share.”

  “And you don’t have to.” He brought his hand to his boyfriend’s cheek, caressing it gently. “Come on. Let’s go crawl out the window in the bathroom and ditch this craphole.”

  Sungmin narrowed his eyes at him. “If you think that’s a great idea, I’m terrified to know what your bad ones are.”

  Kyuhyun took a second to glare at him before demanding, “You got a better idea?”

  “As a matter of fact, I do.” He nodded smugly. “Go back out there, face your family and finally tell them that you’re gay and very much in love with the prettiest diva in Korea.”

  Kyuhyun scratched his head awkwardly. “Sungmin, I don’t really think it’s the right time…”

  “It’s now or never, Kyuhyun.” He stated. “Seriously. I’m sick of watching you suffer because you have to hide this huge part of yourself from your own family. Come on, this is for your own good. Just man up and do it.”

  “Are you seriously asking me to man up and tell my parents I’m gay?” he asked. “I can’t do both, Sungmin.”

  “Kyuhyun, this is no time for jokes.” Sungmin straightened out the taller boy’s tie before leaning closer to peck his lips (fortunately for him, his high heels brought him to eyelevel with Kyuhyun). “If you’re not gonna do it for yourself, then at least do it for me. Please?”

  Kyuhyun sighed in defeat, “Fine, fine. You win.”

  “I always do,” he pressed another quick kiss to his boyfriend’s lips before remarking, “By the way, you look absolutely scrumptious in this suit. Do you think you can wear it for another night?”

  Amused by the suggestive smirk across his lips, Kyuhyun took Sungmin’s arms, wrapped it around his neck to bring him closer and gave him a big, deep kiss. Neither had any apparent intention to pull away until an interrupting drawl came in their direction.

  “Kyuhyun?” It was Suzy approaching them with baby steps. “Is this your girlfriend?”

  “Um, yeah, I guess you can say that.” Kyuhyun paled, his hand scratching the back of his neck. “You don’t seem…mad.”

  “Mad? I—I’m shocked.” There was a slight chuckle in Suzy’s voice as she spoke. “I thought you were gay.”

  Both Kyuhyun’s and Sungmin’s eyes nearly popped out from their sockets. “You know I’m gay?”

  “Well, yeah, I mean, it’s pretty obvious.” She shrugged, still smiling. “What, you don’t think I have a gaydar?”

  Kyuhyun breathed a sigh of relief. “Oh, well, I guess this night isn’t going to turn out as disastrous as I expected.”

  “Wait a minute, if you’re gay, then why do you have a girl—”

  “He’s a dude.”

  Suzy’s eyebrows flew up, “Whoa. Dude looks like a lady. I like your shoes, by the way.”

  “Oh, thank you!” Sungmin crooned, his grin wide and pleased. He then turned to Kyuhyun and whispered, “I’ve met her for five seconds and already I like her better than Heechul.”

  “Wait, if you knew I was gay the whole time, then why did you even agree to this date in the first place?” Kyuhyun asked the younger girl.

  “Well, it would’ve been rude to turn down our parents’ wishes.” She explained. “And also, I’ve always kinda wanted a gay best friend.”

  At this, Sungmin’s ears immediately perked up as he extended his hand out to her. “Hi, I’m Sungmin, best and worst gay best friend you could ever ask for.”

  “Best and worst?” she asked as she shook his hand.

  “Stick around a little longer, honey, and you’ll understand.” Sungmin smirked, causing Suzy to curiously lift one eyebrow.

  “As much as I enjoy seeing my date and my boyfriend get along so well,” Kyuhyun interjected drolly. “I still have a problem here. What are we going to tell my parents?”

  “We don’t have to tell them anything if you don’t want to.” She said. “I don’t mind playing along for a little while.”

  Kyuhyun softly nudged Sungmin with his elbow and muttered, “I already like her better than Heechul too.”

  “Kids? What’s going on over there?” Kyuhyun nearly choked on his own tongue when he saw his mother appear before them, wearing an ever so confused expression. “Kyuhyun, what are you doing here with our waitress? I thought you were going to the bathroom?”

  “I was, but I ran into a waitress over here—”

  Sungmin glared at him, “Kyuhyun.”

  “She knows your name?” his mother asked, her eyebrows rising.

  “Um, yes. But as it turns out, she is actually a he and he happens to be a…a very close friend of mine—”

  Suzy tilted her head at him, shooting him with disapproval. “Kyuhyun.”

  “And by close friend, I mean…boyfriend…” he finished, his voice trailing off at the last word. Once he realized he had just rendered his mother speechless with his spontaneous confession, he started to panic. “Um, mom? Are you okay? Say something, mom.”

  “…She’s a he?”

~*~

  Upon returning to their table, Kyuhyun’s mother informed her husband that his son had something to say to him, and that’s when Kyuhyun had to announce to the whole table that he was as gay as the day was long. Kind enough not to intrude in what was obviously family business, Suzy’s family left to give them their privacy, much to the relief of Kyuhyun who was already terrified of explaining himself to his family, let alone to a couple of people he had just met. Suzy gave Kyuhyun a pat on the back and wished him good luck before leaving. Sungmin sat in the seat beside his boyfriend, awkwardly the strands of the wig on his head.

  “Kyuhyun…” his father rubbed his temples as he attempted to process the brand-new information. “Since when?”

  “Since camp,” Kyuhyun was feeling bold as he took Sungmin’s hand and squeezed it tightly. “Dad, before you say anything, you should know that Sungmin and I are very much in love.”

  “My son is in love with another man?”

  “Yes, dad, that’s what being gay is pretty much about.” He said. “And what’s wrong with that anyway? What’s so bad about having a gay son?”

  “Kyuhyun, I’m not sure how comfortable we feel discussing this with…him over there.” His mother chimed in.

  “His name is Sungmin,” he put his arm around Sungmin, who blushed. “And he’s my boyfriend.”

  “Well, Sungmin-ssi,” she cleared uncomfortably. “It was nice meeting you, but perhaps it’s best that you leave now.”

  “I can’t believe this. You’re making my boyfriend leave?” Kyuhyun was just about to stand up and make a scene, but as much as Sungmin loved making scenes, he felt the need to stop him as he grabbed his arm.

  “Kyuhyun, it’s alright,” he said, an anxious smile on his lips. “It’s getting late and my parents will start to worry.”

  “Sungmin, you really don’t need to—”

  “I told you, it’s fine,” he insisted. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

  Before he left, Kyuhyun cupped his face and planted a big, tender kiss on his lips, as if to rub their relationship in his parents’ face. A small giggle escaped Sungmin’s lips as they pulled away, but he was quick to remember that Kyuhyun’s family was watching them, so he quickly got himself together and bid everyone goodbye.

  “You could’ve been a little nicer, you know.” Kyuhyun shot his parents a dirty look as he slumped back in his seat.

  “Frankly, I don’t really know what to do with you right now.” His father paced around their table, much to the annoyance of the nearby tables. “I don’t even understand how this happened. Last I remember, you had a perfectly nice cheerleader girlfriend. When that didn’t work out, we took the liberty of introducing you to a wonderful girl like Suzy, but you had to go and ruin it.”

  “Kyuhyun, maybe this is just a phase.” His mother suggested. “You’re just confused.”

  “I’m not confused,” he refuted immediately. “I know what I feel and I’m not ashamed of it. I love Sungmin. And there’s not a thing in the world that will ever change that.”

  “Why don’t we just continue this conversation at home?” His father said. “Maybe then I can decide what to do with you.”

  Kyuhyun could already feel that he didn’t like where this was heading.

~*~

  Donghae could feel his eyelids getting heavier and heavier as he read the same boring paragraph on their History textbook for the tenth time. He would normally be asleep at this hour, but Donghae came to a decision that if he wanted to graduate, he needed to start doing some serious studying. But that proved to be much easier said than done.

  “Donghae, honey, what are you doing up so late?” His mother knocked on his door, wearing a long nightgown and carrying a warm cup of tea.

  “I’m studying, mom.” He replied. “Can’t you tell by the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign on my door?”

  “You’re studying?” she asked, shock written all over her face. “Normally, when you hang that sign, it’s because you’re on the phone with Eunhyuk. I’ve never known you to crack a textbook open; what gives?”

  “Mom, please, I’m trying to learn here.” He dismissed, waving her off.

  She chuckled, “Alright, I’ll leave. But don’t stay up too late, okay?”

  Donghae mumbled a whiny ‘okay’ before he heard the door close. He decided to relieve himself of the pain in his head from taking in too much information at once by doodling his boyfriend’s name in a crumpled piece of paper, but that didn’t help at all. He was just about ready to give up and go to bed until his phone buzzed on his desk, the screen lighting up with Eunhyuk’s name.

  “You asleep, bby?”

  Donghae smiled, making himself comfortable on his bed as he typed out a reply, “Not yet. But I might as well be from all the studying I’m doing T.T”

  “Aww, bby. Don’t strain yourself.”

  “I’ll try~ so whatcha doing?”

  “Thinking of you ;)”

  “Ehh so cheesy.”

  “You know you love it.”

  “I do. You know what else I love?”

  “Me? :D”

  “That’s right <3”

  “Now who’s being cheesy?”

  “Shaddup.”

  “Kkk~ I’m about to go to sleep now, so I’ll text you again in the morning. Goodnight bby xx”

  “Nighty-night <3”

  Donghae placed his phone on his chest as he sighed dreamily. Late-night conversations with Eunhyuk, be they long or short, always put Donghae in a good mood before he went to bed. He had a smile on his face not only before falling asleep, but also upon waking up, because he knew he could always look forward to a sweet ‘good morning’ text from his boyfriend.

  Just after he turned his lamp off and settled under his cozy sheets, his phone lit up again, sending a bolt of excitement through Donghae’s body as he automatically assumed it was Eunhyuk again.

  But little did he know…

  “Hi handsome ;)”

  Donghae didn’t recognize the number. “Hi! …who’s this? :D”

  “Someone who likes you very, very much. ;)”

  “Hyukkie? Is that you?”

  “Nope~”

  “Who is this then?”

  “Why don’t you stick around and find out? ;)”

  Donghae was intrigued. He did want to find out who was texting him, but his reply to the text said it all: “But I’m sleepy…”

~*~

  “Kyuhyun?” Sungmin let out a yawn as he rubbed away the blurriness in his vision. “Honey, what are you doing here?”

  Not only was Kyuhyun’s head low, but his bloodshot eyes were tired and puffy, as if he had been crying all night, and his lips were blue and dry—evidently, he had been outside for a while now.

  “My parents just kicked me out.”

~*~