the good ice cream

Graduating Batch of Gay

~*~

  “Donghae, we’re going to be late for class,” Eunhyuk tugged on Donghae’s arm, but the latter remained frozen in his spot, as if his feet were nailed to the floor. “You’re wasting your time; he’s not going to show up.”

  “Don’t say that, Hyukjae,” he said, pulling his arm away from his grasp. “He said he’ll come and I believe in him.”

  “You don’t even know the guy’s name.” Frustrated, Eunhyuk ran a hand through his hair. “Look, Hae, I don’t want to be late and get a demerit, but I don’t want to leave you behind either, because I know you’re going to get lost finding your way to the classroom.  So are you going or not?”

  “No. I’m staying.” Donghae seemed firm on his decision.

  “Fine. Then I’m staying too.” He pulled up a chair and sat down with his legs crossed and a frown across his lips.

  “Alright,” was Donghae’s only reply.

  “That’s it? ‘Alright’?” he asked, offended. “You’re not even going to acknowledge the fact that that I’m doing something so unselfish for you?”

  Donghae raised an eyebrow, “Am I supposed to?”

  “Well, yes, considering you’ve been treating me like dog crap these past few days.” He narrowed his eyes at the boy who kept staring at his phone. “This guy’s done nothing and yet you’re willing to give him your whole world.”

  “Look, Hyuk, I don’t want to get into an argument, okay?” he sighed. “I don’t want to be in a bad mood when I meet him.”

  Eunhyuk scoffed and looked away, though Donghae couldn’t help but notice the strange look in his eyes. “Hyukjae? What’s wrong?”

  “What?”

  “What’s with that look on your face?”

  “Nothing.”

  “Hyukjae.” He called sternly, “Come on. Tell me.”

  He sighed and turned to meet Donghae’s eyes, “Do you even see yourself as my boyfriend anymore?”

  “Hyukj—”

  “Hyukjae-ssi, Donghae-ssi,” the kind and elderly school librarian interjected. “Shouldn’t you two be in class right now?”

  “Uh, yes, we were just about to leave,” Eunhyuk stood up and flashed the woman a polite smile before taking Donghae’s hand and dragging him outside. “Look, Donghae, I don’t care how much you like this bastard. I’m your boyfriend and unless you start treating me as such, I’ll have no choice but to—oof!”

  Eunhyuk’s reprimanding speech ended as soon as it started when he opened the door and collided right into one of his teammates on the football team. “Oh, sorry, Taec. Say, what are you guys doing here? Don’t you have class?”

  “Isn’t it obvious?” the taller teenager replied. “We’re cutting class. Care to join us?”

  “Um, no thanks,” Eunhyuk noticed the strange look Donghae was giving him and took this as a cue to leave. “I’ll see you guys later.”

  “Well,” Donghae huffed once they were out of earshot. “I didn’t realize you’ve become so chummy with the football team.”

  He shrugged, “They’re not so bad.”

  “I thought they were homophobic?” he asked.

  “Well, once I actually proved to be useful on the team and since I don’t really act…fruity around them, they don’t really give me that much of a hard time.” He revealed with another shrug.

  “I’m glad you’re enjoying yourself with them then.” He said, his voice laced with venom.

  Eunhyuk’s eyebrows rose, “What’s that supposed to mean?”

  Before Donghae could answer, a passing student clapped Donghae on the back and asked him in a mocking tone, “Hey, Donghae. Got any interesting texts lately?”

  “What?” with a bewildered expression, Donghae watched him leave cackling. As he looked around, he soon came to realize that there was quite a handful of people snickering and giggling towards his direction. “Hyukjae…did you happen to tell anyone about my admirer?”

  “What? Why on earth would I—” he gasped. “Oh my God, Jessica.”

  “Jessica? What the hell did you tell Jessica?” he asked, his voice rising. “You know she’s a blabbermouth!”

  “Look, I was just trying to find out the identity of this so-called admirer of yours—hold on, you’re angry at me?” Eunhyuk’s brows knitted together. “You’ve got to be freaking kidding me. I’ve done nothing wrong.”

  “You’ve practically made me the laughing stock of the school.” He griped as he quickened his pace, only for Eunhyuk to do the same to keep up with him. “I hope you’re happy, Hyukjae.”

  “Donghae, I don’t think you have any right to—” before Eunhyuk could finish his thought, their Math teacher greeted them at the door with a less than pleased face, as they were ten whole minutes late for first period.

~*~

  “I’m just saying, Min,” Kyuhyun said as he walked with his boyfriend down the empty hall. “I don’t see you taking therapy seriously, so I think it’s best that you just withdraw. I’m my sure mom won’t mind.”

  “But, Kyu,” he whined, bouncing on his feet like a displeased, little boy, “I like therapy. I didn’t think I would, but I actually genuinely enjoy myself during my sessions.”

  “You just enjoy it because you like making my mother cry.” He smirked as he tugged on Sungmin’s arm, pulling him towards the door at the end of the hall. “Now, behave, alright? Remember, I’m doing this for you, so you might as well do this for me too.”

  “Wait, so this is your big solution? To take me out of therapy and into guidance counselling?” Sungmin crossed his arms in protest. “If your own mother couldn’t help me, then what makes you think the school guidance counselor can? The old hag flirts with literally anything that moves.”

  “Look, she’s better than nothing.” He said. “And if this doesn’t work out either, then we’ll find another way. Come on, Sungmin, I just want you to get better.”

  Sungmin’s expression softened, “Oh, Kyuhyun, you’re so good to me,” he kissed the tip of his nose, smiling, “I love you. And even though I think we’re wasting everybody’s time doing this, but if you really want me to, then fine, what the hell.”

  “That’s my girl.” Kyuhyun gave him a small but reassuring kiss on the cheek before knocking on the door to the guidance counselor’s office. As they opened the door, the sight that greeted them was certainly one for sore eyes.

  “Heechul,” Sungmin’s eyebrows rose as he saw the teacher filing his nails with his legs crossed on top of the desk. “What are you doing here?”

  “Well, Ms. Jung Juri supposedly slipped and fell in the shower, so I’m filling in for her for the time being.” Heechul explained, putting his feet down. “What are you two in here for?”

  Sungmin turned to Kyuhyun, deadpanning, “Seriously? You want Heechul to help me?”

  “It’s worth a shot,” the other shrugged. “At least it’s free.”

  Contemplating, Sungmin chewed on his lip as he turned his head back and forth from Heechul to Kyuhyun before finally inquiring, “Can I make him cry too?”

  “Knock yourself out.” And with that, Sungmin came in with a grin so devious that it could give the Joker a run for his money.

~*~

  “Hey Kyu,” Eunhyuk joined the lone boy at the lunch table. “Where’s Sungmin?”

  “I somehow managed to get him to talk about his problems with Heechul, who happens to be filling in for the guidance counselor.” He revealed. “They’ve been in there for over an hour now. Where’s Donghae?”

  “Waiting for his stalker,” he replied scornfully. “Since Sungmin’s not going to continue his sessions with your mom anymore, maybe Donghae can see her instead. I swear, there’s something wrong with that guy. How can he already be so taken with a guy he hasn’t even met?”

  “Can you blame him? He likes the attention.” Kyuhyun said.

  “Doesn’t he get enough attention from me?” he asked. “I’m his boyfriend, for God’s sake.”

  “Let’s face it, Hyuk, ever since you joined the football team, we’ve been seeing less and less of you every day.” He started. “Donghae obviously didn’t take it well and he just so happened to take comfort in this stalker of his, who had impeccable timing, if I may say so.”

  “So, you’re saying this is my fault?” Eunhyuk blinked as the prospect settled in with him. “That I drove him into the arms of his stalker?”

  “More or less, yeah.” He shrugged. “The fact that Donghae’s very easily influenced must not have helped either. But if you ask me, Donghae will come back around if you give him enough time.”

  “You think so?”

  “Eventually, he’ll realize that this guy isn’t what he thought he’d be and he’ll come running back crying to you.” He deduced. “If I’m wrong, then he’ll marry his stalker and you’ll be forever alone living in someone else’s garage. Hey, that sounds promising, doesn’t it?”

  “Oh, shut up,” Eunhyuk crumpled the small, empty carton of strawberry milk in his hand. “You can’t even imagine the things I’m going to do this guy when I finally meet him.”

  Kyuhyun laughed, “You’re kidding, right?”

  “What? No, I’m totally serious.” He claimed, “I am so gonna mess this bastard up.”

  “Eunhyuk, when have you ever really messed someone up? You’re not good with confrontation.” He refuted. “Why don’t you just spray-paint a dirty word on his locker door or something?”

  “What do you mean I’m not good with confrontation? I told the coach off when he kicked you and Donghae out of the team, didn’t I?” he pointed out.

  “Yeah, and how did that work out for you? Oh, let’s see. You joined the football team, which in turn, took up almost all your free time for your boyfriend, which inevitably left him feeling neglected that he let himself become putty in a complete stranger’s hands.” He smirked. “Ah, yes, it worked out perfectly.”

  “That’s…that’s different.” He bit on his lip, “This guy is messing with me and my boyfriend. He deserves a nice beating.”

  “Uh-huh,” Kyuhyun nodded with a doubtful look. “And what exactly do you plan to do after you ‘beat him up’?”

  Eunhyuk seemed to contemplate before answering, “I’m going to change my name, move to Mexico and start a whole, new life.”

  Kyuhyun could only laugh and duck as Eunhyuk chucked a banana peel at his face.

~*~

  “So tell me again why you keep ice cream in the cafeteria’s freezer?” Sungmin asked, his head on Heechul’s shoulder and a dripping cone of ice cream in his hands. “This ice cream’s terrible, by the way.”

  “It’s non-fat. The good ice cream is for the really major problems.” Heechul replied casually. “So, are we going to talk about you or what?”

  Sungmin beamed, “Oh, I love talking about me.”

  “Great. Then you won’t claw my eyes out when I tell you that you have a problem. A serious problem. A mental disorder, even.” It was amazing how serious Heechul could sound while running his tongue on (more or less bland) vanilla ice cream. “I don’t mean to sound cliché but, the first step to getting cured is admitting you have a problem. Do you admit it?”

  “Are we really going to do this?” he asked. “This whole therapy thing? You’re not even an official guidance counselor, let alone a therapist.”

  “No, but I am a somewhat educated adult. And I do want to help.” He stated. “So just admit you have a problem so we can move on.”

  “Heechul—”

  “Admit it.”

  “This is ridicu—”

  “Admit it.”

  “I am so reporting you for harassme—”

  “Admit it.”

  “Fine, fine. I have a problem, I have an eating disorder, I’m obsessed with being perfect. There, are you ing happy now?”

  Heechul grinned, “Very ing happy.”

  “Well, now you know,” Sungmin sighed. “I want to be perfect, Chul. Perfect body, perfect face, perfect everything. I just dread the idea of gaining weight. I even feel guilty just eating this ice cream right now.”

  “Well then, I hope you enjoy it off the floor because it’s dripping everywhere.” Heechul tossed him a box of tissues to wipe the sticky mess he made on the sofa. “Anyway, tell me, why do you want to be perfect? When I first met you, you were a total ‘if-you’ve-got-it-flaunt-it’ primadonna. What changed?”

  Sungmin slumped in his seat, letting the rest of his ice cream drip down to his hand. “I don’t know.”

  “Sungmin,” Heechul gave a stern look. “Come on, I know we’ve been through our ups and downs, but at least respect me enough to be honest.”

  Sungmin lifted his head up to meet his eyes reluctantly. “Well…have you seen Kyuhyun’s life? It’s…it’s perfect. The only thing that isn’t perfect in his life is…well, me.”

  “What on earth would make you think that?” he asked, almost raising his hand to smack him on the back of his head, but changing his mind when he realized that Sungmin’s true emotions were starting to show. He instead settled for caressing his cheek like a gentle mother. “Sungmin, honey, I don’t know if you realize this, but in Kyuhyun’s eyes, you are perfect.”

  “I’m a homewrecker, Heechul.” Sungmin said with a long, miserable sigh. “It’s because of me that Kyuhyun can’t even step foot in his own house.”

  “What does that have to do with anything?” he inquired, one eyebrow arched curiously. “Last I recall, you were overjoyed to live under the same roof as Kyuhyun.”

  “It’s not that I don’t. But I can tell he misses his home. And his family.” He tossed the remains of his melted ice cream into a nearby trash bin to distract himself from how emotional he was becoming. “And it’s all my fault.”

  Heechul stared at him with concern, “What is?”

  “Everything. I’m the one who came between Kyuhyun and his parents. I’m the reason Kyuhyun’s parents have done all but disown him. I’m the one they hate so much that they’re willing to throw their own son out in the streets.”

  “What does this have to with being perfect exactly?”

  “Nothing.”

  “Then wh—”

  “Because I’m gay.”

  “I beg your pardon?”

  “They hate me because I’m gay. But I can’t change that. I can’t just stop being gay all of a sudden. So, I guess I convinced myself that that’s not the reason. That it’s something entirely different.”

  Heechul was starting to understand, “That it’s because…you’re not perfect?”

  “Exactly,” he nodded. “I know it sounds stupid, but I just felt so bad about wrecking Kyuhyun’s life that I tried to find a way to make it better. So I tried to change myself in hopes of getting their approval, even though I’m sure they don’t care, as the only way they’d ever like me is if I become a woman, probably. And I know what you’re gonna say, and no, I do not want to get a change because I like taking it in the too much.”

  “Okay, first of all, even if you did get a change, you can still have , you moron.” Heechul started, eliciting a dirty look from the younger boy. “And second, do you actually that believe you can achieve perfection by starving yourself?”

  “Well, you know what society’s definition of perfect is. Skinny equals beautiful. Beautiful equals perfect.” Before Heechul could answer, Sungmin held his palm up to stop him. “And don’t you say anything else. I know I’m being ing stupid right now, but I can’t help it. I’m in love.”

  “I don’t think Kyuhyun would be very happy to know that you’re destroying your body because of him.” He pointed out. “Tell you what, I’m gonna give you some advice, which I suggest you remember, because I don’t dispense helpful advice very often.”

  “I’ll say,” Sungmin muttered.

  “Talk to him. To Kyuhyun.” He advised. “I’m sure you two can sort this thing out in no time. Unlike Eunhyuk and Donghae…I think those two are gonna be weird for a while. I know we’ve always been annoyed by how they were always being so lovey dovey around us, but right now, I miss that.”

  “Yeah, yeah, it’s a real tragedy,” he said dismissively. “Heechul, I don’t want to talk to Kyuhyun about this. He’ll hate me.”

  “He’s not going to hate you.” Heechul rolled his eyes. “What’s with your crummy self-esteem lately? Grow some balls and get it over with.”

  “But…but…”

  “Sungmin, I canno—are you crying?” Heechul looked exasperated. “What the hell are you crying about?”

  Sungmin rubbed his eyes, “It’s nothing, I just—”

  “Oh, honey, I think I know why. Since we’ve finally gotten to the root of your eating disorder, it just makes the problem even more real, and I can’t even imagine how overwhelming that must be for you.” Heechul wrapped his arms around the teary-eyed teenager. “It’s okay, honey, let it out.”

  “It’s not that, you .” Sungmin pushed him away and showed Heechul the lone eyelash that he had extracted from his eye. “One of my eyelashes fell and got into my eyes and it ing hurt.”

  “Oh. Then I guess—wait, what are you crying about now?”

  “Because what you just said a minute ago made a lot of sense and it is overwhelming and I want to cry for real now.” He sobbed loudly, breaking down in Heechul’s arms.

  “Oh, Lord…” Heechul awkwardly patted Sungmin’s attempt in a lame, half-assed attempt at comforting him. One wouldn’t believe the look of relief that appeared on Heechul’s face the minute he heard a knock on the door.

  An angel—or something like it—then came through his door with a sweet smile, “Hey, I thought you might be hungr—is that Sungmin? What happened?”

  “Oh, Siwon, honey, thank God,” the older man picked the still weeping Sungmin up from the couch, basically threw him into Siwon’s arms and said, “Here, you take care of this.”

  “Where are you going?” he asked, his nose scrunching slightly when Sungmin blew his nose into his necktie.

  Heechul replied calmly before leaving the room, “I’m gonna go get the good ice cream.”

~*~

  “You’re being an idiot, Hae,” Eunhyuk half-whispered, managing to hide from their teacher’s view by hiding his face behind a textbook. “And we’re in class. Put the freaking phone away.”

  “I know what I’m doing, Hyukjae.” Donghae replied in the same manner. “ out.”

  “Don’t talk to me like that, Hae, I’m just looking out for you.” Eunhyuk’s eyebrows rose when he noticed the screen of Donghae’s phone. “What are you doing? Are you going to call him? Are you out of your mind?”

  “I need to find out who he is,” Donghae took a quick deep breath before pressing the call button.

  There was a brief moment of silence before the distinct sound of a phone ringing filled the entire classroom. Donghae looked behind him and towards the source of the ringing, only to find the football players at the back laughing like a couple of hyenas. Realizing it was all a cruel practical joke, Donghae stood up and fled the classroom with tears in his eyes, despite the teacher’s calls to get back in his seat.

  As for Eunhyuk, he stood up as well, but unlike Donghae, he didn’t exit the room, but instead he slowly made his way towards the back where the still laughing jocks were seated. He came up to Taecyeon’s desk, took a quick look at the ringing phone on his lap and socked him right in the face.

~*~

My deepest condolences to Leeteuk’s family. May Leeteuk’s father and grandparents rest in peace.

BdUfk3HIAAEP4S8.jpg