ing lamppost

Graduating Batch of Gay

~*~

  “But you’re in London and I break down `cause it’s not fair that you’re not around. This is when the feeling sinks in, I don’t want to miss you like this. Come back, be here.”

  “It hasn’t even been twenty-four hours and already you’re singing to Taylor Swift songs?” Heechul appeared in Sungmin’s living room, holding a bottle of soju and lots and lots of comfort food. “I’m not even that pathetic.”

  “I don’t even have enough strength to bite back.” Sungmin slumped further down the couch. He was still in his pink nightgown, holding the stuffed bunny that Kyuhyun bought him a while back. “But if I did, I would tell you that you’ve totally crossed the border of ‘pathetic’. You’re…you’re…see? I can’t.”

  “I know. It’s terrifying.” Heechul sat down beside him and twisted open the bottle. “I see you haven’t been holding up well. Did you get any sleep?”

  “Not even a little bit.” He sighed. Then he sighed again because he didn’t even have the energy to laugh at the little hairs that were starting to grow on Heechul’s legs. “I thought Kyuhyun would have called by now. Why hasn’t he called, Sungmin? Why?”

  “I don’t know, Sungmin. There could be a thousand reasons.” Heechul said, handing Sungmin the bottle since he damn well deserved the first drink.

  “Gee, that makes me feel a lot better, thanks.” Sungmin still had it in him to be sarcastic, it seemed. “I checked the schedule; his plane landed hours ago. He should have called by now.”

  “Did you remember to consider the time differ—”

  “Yes, I remembered the time difference. What am I, stupid?” he snapped.

  “No, but you are mean.” Heechul sulked, stealing the bottle from Sungmin to make up for the little dive his pride just took.

  “I’m sorry, Heechul, I just…” Sungmin shut his eyes, frustrated. “I miss him. I miss him so much that it hurts.”

  “That’s because you keep thinking about him.” He pointed out. “Put your mind on something else. Let’s talk about you; you love talking about yourself.”

  “I’m nothing without Kyuhyun.”

  “Okay, bad idea.” Heechul scratched his head, searching for an alternate.

  Sungmin almost felt sorry seeing how hard he was thinking, so he thought for him. “Now that you’ve quit your job, where are you going?”

  “Oh, well, I don’t know actually.” He admitted. “Maybe I’ll go to Vegas or something. Somewhere exciting.”

  “If you decide to go to London, can I stow away in one of your suitcases?” he asked.

  “Sure, but don’t blame me if you suffocate.” Heechul shrugged. “As surprising as this may seem, I actually hate seeing you like this. Come on, you can’t spend the next seven years just moping around like this—let’s go out, let’s go on a shopping spree, let’s get wasted.”

  “Sorry, Heechul, not today.” Sungmin hugged his knees to his chest. “I just want to stay here and be alone with my thoughts. There’s one thought that’s been bugging me all day.”

  “What’s that?” he asked.

  “It’s been so long since I’ve had .” He claimed. “Have they changed it?”

  Heechul deadpanned. “Sungmin, Kyuhyun’s been gone for ten hours.”

  “Your point is?”

  “Okay, now you’re making me depressed.” Heechul grabbed the bottle from Sungmin before he could finish it off. “Give me that.”

  “You know something?”

  “What?”

  “I kind of hate Eunhyuk and Donghae right now.”

  “Why?”

  “Because they’re probably having a better time than we are right now.”

~*~

  “Donghae, I’m sure Nemo will come even if we don’t send him an invitation.” After arguing about wedding plans (in which all of their discussions involved Nemo), Eunhyuk thoroughly needed a drink. “And I’m fine with the chocolate fountain—we are so totally taking that home after the wedding, by the way—but no, Nemo cannot swim in it.”

  “But Nemo and I already made this whole list to save for when I get married.” Donghae said, shoving said list in his face. “Why are you crushing my dreams, Hyukjae? Why, why?

  “Donghae…” Eunhyuk shut his eyes and rubbed his temples; he was feeling a major migraine coming on. “You know what? We obviously can’t do this by ourselves—look at us, we’ve just started making plans and already we’re arguing.”

  “Should we just find a wedding planner?” Donghae suggested.

  “Where are we going to find a wedding planner for a gay couple?” he asked.

  Donghae realized he made a valid point. “Maybe we should just ask Sungmin to do it.”

  “No, no, no, no, no, no.” Eunhyuk rapidly shook his head, which only made his headache worsen. “He’s gonna want to do this and that his way, and before we know it, he’s planning everything without even consulting us, and the next thing we know, our wedding will become his and Kyuhyun’s wedding.”

  “I thought you loved Sungmin.” Donghae tilted his head, looking at him like a curious puppy.

  “Yes, but not enough to let him plan the most important day of our lives. He can be some other gay couple’s problem.” He waved his hand, dismissive.

  “Well, we’re gonna have to figure out something soon.” Donghae tapped the end of his pencil on his notepad. “Otherwise we won’t have any news to break to the guys at dinner tomorrow. And I was really looking forward to see the look on their faces when we tell them we’re engaged.”

  “Maybe we should just…” Eunhyuk sighed. He didn’t think planning a wedding would be this exhausting—and this was just the beginning. “I don’t know, maybe we should just wait.”

  “What? Until when?” Donghae scowled.

  “Until after college, maybe?” he said. “We don’t wanna get married too early, do we? Besides, we’ll be too busy with college anyway, and then finding jobs—”

  Donghae was pretty tired too. “What? I can’t wait that long. For God’s sakes, Hyukjae, if we’re going to wait that long than we might as well not do it.”

  Eunhyuk wasn’t expecting that reaction. “What? Donghae, don’t—”

  “I don’t want to wait, Hyukjae.” He retorted. “We are not going to wait until after college.”

  “You can’t wait?” he stood up, his voice rising as well. “You can’t do this one thing for me? After all the stupid things I’ve done for you? After I stood back and watched you practically fall in love with your phony secret admirer? After putting me through all that , you can’t even wait for four ing years to get married?”

  Donghae’s voice became small. “You think the things you do for me are stupid?”

  “I’m gonna take a shower and cool off.” He kicked his chair back. “You…just do whatever you want to do.”

  “Hyukjae…” Donghae flinched when he heard the bathroom door slam shut.

~*~

  Sungmin wondered if what Heechul said really was true: was it really unhealthy to be this attached to someone? Sungmin never thought so. It certainly never felt like it.

  Being with Kyuhyun has always felt right. But in the last couple of hours, he felt something burning inside him. No, it wasn’t the soju he drank on an empty stomach. It felt more like…rage.

  It was here. Eunhyuk had warned him about this, but he didn’t listen. He didn’t think there was any truth to ‘the angry stage’. Sungmin didn’t see any reason to be angry with Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun wasn’t doing anything wrong. He was just pursuing his dream, getting himself a decent education. He was doing what was best for him—and Sungmin couldn’t be any more proud of him.

  But what about what was best for Sungmin? Sungmin wanted to pursue his dreams too. But he would never do anything that would jeopardize his relationship with Kyuhyun. He loved Kyuhyun too much. Didn’t Kyuhyun love him as much as Sungmin did?

  Sungmin bet that Kyuhyun wasn’t even thinking of him right now. He was probably too busy enjoying the sights, meeting new people, forgetting about his boyfriend…

  Sungmin suddenly didn’t feel like sulking around anymore. He wanted to…he wanted to kick something.

  So he kicked the end of the coffee table. The very rigid coffee table. , that hurt.

  The doorbell rang (more than once and in rapid succession; was someone getting murdered out there?) whilst he was in the middle of hopping around and clutching his toes in pain. Unfortunately, the front door was all the way across the room, so he had to it up and walk on a probably broken foot. He opened the door, ready to scream off the head of whoever it was that bothered his (tiny) rampage (just so he could take his building anger out on someone). But he couldn’t do it.

  “Kyuhyun.” He said, startled.

  Ironically, the one person he was mad at was the one person whom he couldn’t take it out on.

~*~

  I am freaking out.

  I asked Donghae to marry me earlier. I wouldn’t take no for an answer. So now we’re engaged. And I thought I would be excited and , but actually…I’m terrified.

  This was completely out-of-the-blue. I don’t even know what do next. How are we going to tell our friends and family? How am I going to stop noona from killing me when she finds out I’m getting married before she is? Where do you even go to get a marriage license? Are they even going to allow two men to get married? Does this mean I have to buy Donghae an engagement ring? Where are we going to find a pastor to marry us?

  So many questions. Is Donghae even freaking out like I am? Probably not. He’s delirious with joy.

  After I asked him to marry me, there was this smile on his face that I’d never seen before. I don’t know if it’s a good thing or not, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen him that happy before. Just thinking of seeing that same smile everyday…waking up to that face every morning and calling him my wife—somehow it makes all of this seem so much easier.

  I am freaking out. But I guess it’s a good kind of freaking out.

  Donghae may drive me crazy sometimes, but god knows he’s also the only thing that still keeps me sane. I really don’t know what I’d do without him. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel grateful to have him in my life. He’s my everything. My absolute everything.

  So, safe to say, I don’t regret asking Donghae to marry me. It may become rough and difficult in the long run, but I know we’ll make it through somehow.

  Donghae squeaked when he heard the door click. He panicked and tossed the journal behind him, and it happened to land right under Eunhyuk’s bed. Eunhyuk came into the bedroom, wearing only a towel around his waist, and became suspicious at the guilty look on his boyfriend’s face.

  “Were you reading my diary?” he asked.

  “No.”

  Eunhyuk raised an eyebrow.

  “Yes.”

  “Donghae…” he ran a palm over his face.

  “I’m sorry, I couldn’t help it. It was just sitting there, begging me to read it” He fiddled with Eunhyuk’s blanket. “But I read the entry you wrote yesterday and—thank you. Can you maybe…put it in our vows?”

  Eunhyuk opened his mouth to say something, but then closed it again to smile. He sat down on his bed, right in front of Donghae. “Does this mean we’re getting married again?”

  “If you wouldn’t mind.” He shrugged, though his voice was hopeful. “I’m sorry that I got so upset earlier. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I just…I love you so much, and I just can’t wait to become your wife.”

  “Donghae, I want to get married to you, I do.” He started to caress his cheek. “But I don’t think we’re ready just yet. But we will be. There’s no harm in waiting a couple of years. Is there?”

  “Probably not.” Donghae didn’t know how he managed to stay composed with a wet and almost- Eunhyuk sitting in front of him. “Until after college?”

  “Until after college.” Eunhyuk nodded and kissed his mouth. “I love you.”

  “I love you too.” He put a hand on the back of Eunhyuk’s neck and pulled him closer. “Now do me a favor and drop the towel.”

  Eunhyuk was going to need another shower.

~*~

  “Kyuhyun, what the hell are you doing here?” Sungmin was still in shock. “Wha—wha—you’re supposed to be in London! Oh my God, are we in London? Oh my God, did I really stow away in your suitcase? I thought that was just a dream, holy crap!”

  “Sungmin, no, we’re not in London.” Kyuhyun was sweaty and out of breath and didn’t look like he had gotten any sleep at all. Sungmin didn’t care; he still looked pretty damn gorgeous. “It’s a long story.”

  “For you, I have all the time in the world.” Sungmin waited for his boyfriend to regain his breath. It took twelve minutes, two glasses of water and a lot of wheezing before he could finally explain himself. Maybe Sungmin was speaking too soon when he said he had ‘all the time in the world’.

  “You see, I—I—” Kyuhyun took a deep breath—he was going to need it. “I got off the plane, and on the way to the airport, I thought, hey, that looks like Sungmin. And I actually got out of the cab and checked it out, and I realized that it wasn’t you. Hell, it wasn’t even a person—it was a ing lamppost. And that’s when it hit me. I was so happy when I thought I saw you. Even happier than when I stepped off the plane. And I realized that I just couldn’t do it. I couldn’t live without you. Not for seven years, not for seven minutes, not even for seven seconds. So I got back in the cab, told the driver to bring me back to the airport, and I bought a ticket to the earliest flight to Korea. So, after ten hours, I finally got back here, and without even picking up my suitcases, I ran all the way here.”

  Sungmin blinked. Several times. It was kind of disturbing.

  “Sungmin, honey, say something.” Kyuhyun cupped his face. “Say anything.”

  “You thought I was a lamppost?” Sungmin scrunched his nose—he was very deep in thought. “What the hell have you been smoking?”

  “I tell you all of that and that’s the only thing you get from it?” he asked. “Sungmin, I missed you. So much. And it hasn’t even been twenty-four hours. That must be some kind of sign.”

  Sungmin smiled. It was the first time he had smiled all day. “I missed you too. But what about your scholarship? What about London?”

  “Screw London.” He scoffed, which was very hot in Sungmin’s opinion. “I don’t want to go anywhere or do anything if it means being away from you.”

  “You’re a weird and wonderful man, Cho Kyuhyun.” Sungmin gave him a big smooch on the cheek. “Where are your suitcases?”

  “I didn’t get them. I wanted to see you right away—”

  “What? We have to get them!”

  “Can’t that wait?”

  “No, because I snuck in some very racy, very see-through lingerie in there that I don’t want security finding.” He revealed, grabbing Kyuhyun’s hand and racing to the door. He stopped (making Kyuhyun nearly fall flat on the sidewalk) when he realized he was only wearing a nightgown (and it wasn’t even his good one).

  “I gotta go change!” he said, running back inside the house.

  Kyuhyun sighed in relief. Sungmin took hours to decide on a single outfit—at least he now had a chance to get some rest.

~*~

  “We’ve been sitting here for half an hour; if you’re not going to tell me your news, can’t you at least let me eat?” Heechul griped, impatiently tapping his fingers on the table.

  “No, we have to wait until Sungmin gets here.” Donghae insisted.

  “If he gets here.” Eunhyuk said. “He’s probably too sad to even get out of bed.”

  Eunhyuk and Donghae wanted to break the news to their friends in a fancy restaurant, one that had tablecloths and waiters in suits and appetizers—but after checking the prices online, they decided to settle for a fast-food place instead.

  “We all know that Sungmin isn’t going to make it tonight, so you might as well just tell me.” Heechul continued to persist. “Wait a minute, is one of you dying?”

  “No.” Donghae replied.

  “Are you breaking up?”

  “God, no!” Heechul found it funny how Eunhyuk had a bigger reaction to this than to his first question.

  “Are you moving in together?”

  “No.” Donghae shook his head. “Well, not yet, but we probably will soon.”

  “For ’s sake, just tell me.” Heechul snapped.

  “Okay, but you have to promise to look surprised when we tell Sungmin.” Eunhyuk joined hands with Donghae. “We’re getting marr—”

  “Sorry, I’m late,” a girly drawl came, “but I got a little side-tracked.”

  “And the spotlight shifts.” Eunhyuk rolled his eyes. But nevertheless, he, as well as everyone else at the table, was surprised to see Sungmin arrive with Kyuhyun.

  “Kyuhyun, what are you doing here? Are we in London?” Donghae turned back and forth from the newly-arrived couple to his slack-jawed boyfriend. “Hyukkie, are we in London?”

  “I don’t know.” Eunhyuk looked to Heechul. “Chullie, are we?”

  Heechul sighed, shaking his eyes at the two idiots he called his friends. He turned to Sungmin and Kyuhyun for an explanation. “What’s going on?”

  “Well, long story short, Kyuhyun came to his senses and realized that he couldn’t live without yours truly, so he flew back here and well, we’re going to be together forever and ever.” Sungmin grinned, squeezing his boyfriend’s shoulder.

  “And ever and ever.” Kyuhyun added, pecking Sungmin’s cheek.

  Donghae had every intention of making this night all about him and his new fiancée, and he wasn’t about to let it get taken away from him. “Hyukkie and I are getting married!”

  Sungmin’s jaw dropped. He did not look happy. “Shut. Up. You two es, I cannot believe you’re getting married before Kyuhyun and me.” He tugged on Kyuhyun’s arm. “Kyuhyun, let’s elope!”

  Kyuhyun squirmed away. “Uh, I’m gonna go order us some food. Or junk. Whatever, same difference.”

  “I’m gonna go get my soda refilled.” Eunhyuk did not want to be there when Sungmin and Donghae get into a fight about all this wedding business, so he followed Kyuhyun to the counter.

  Heechul watched idly as the remaining two bickered over something he really didn’t understand. In fact, he was barely even listening—which is why he had no idea how Sungmin and Donghae went from yelling at each other’s faces to sobbing in each other’s arms.

  “I can’t believe my two best friends in the whole world are getting married.” Sungmin wept, his mascara running.

  “Um, hello, other best friend sitting right here.” Heechul thought he at least deserved some credit.

  “I remember when I first pulled him out of the closet.” Sungmin ignored the tiny, Heechul-like voice that just squeaked in his ear. “He used to do the things we do, you know. He won’t admit it because he’s embarrassed, but I witnessed everything. And by everything I mean everything.”

  “Everything?” Donghae asked with wide eyes.

  “Everything.” Sungmin reiterated. “He explored all kinds of things. He bought dresses, he tried on make-up, we gave each other manicures and did each other’s hair—I think he got sick of it as time went on. It was more like a phase to him. It was like watching my own creation slip out of my hands. Now I know how God feels.”

  “Well, I guess I should be glad that Hyukkie grew out of that phase…or else I’d have to be the manly one.” Donghae shuddered; Heechul snorted. “And I guess I have to thank you for pulling Hyukkie out of the closet. It may not have seemed like it at the time, but you played a really big part in our relationship. And just for that, I want to make you my maid-of-honor.”

  “Oh, well, I guess I should warn you that I will wear a dress that’s going to outshine the bride.”

  “But I’m the bride.”

  “Exactly.”

  “Am I like invisible right now or what?” Heechul normally wouldn’t care, but for some reason, this hit him hard.

  “Oh, don’t worry, Chullie,” Donghae tried to fix the situation. “You can be one of my bridesmaids.”

  Heechul popped a ketchup-dipped fry in his mouth. “You’d think by now I should be used to being the second choice.”

  Meanwhile, Kyuhyun and Eunhyuk were still at the counter, conversing while waiting for their orders.

  “Wait, so let me get this straight: you made Donghae angry on purpose?”

  Eunhyuk nodded, feeling quite proud that his plan had worked perfectly. “Whenever Donghae gets upset, he reads my diary. I don’t really know why—I guess reading all the nice things I write about him makes him feel better. You know, sometimes I only write those things because I know he’s reading—”

  “Get back to the point.”

  “Right.” Eunhyuk took a moment to recollect his thoughts. “I knew he would read my diary, so before I got in the shower, I wrote in a really mushy entry and marked it with yesterday’s date. When I came out, he was all over me and we made up, just like that. But the words were true though. Really, I swear.”

  “I still don’t get it,” Kyuhyun said. “Why did you make him mad in the first place?”

  “I needed him to get on board with the whole waiting-until-after-college thing.” He revealed. “I love Donghae to death, and I really do want to marry him, but we just have too many things going on right now. I just needed to buy some more time to work all of this out.”

  “You are more evil than I thought.” Kyuhyun remarked. “And to think they call me a jackass.”

  “Who calls you a jackass?”

  “You do.”

  “Oh, that’s right.”

  Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. “Now, because of you, Sungmin’s going to start bugging me about marriage, and I’m not ready for that kind of commitment.”

  Eunhyuk didn’t quite understand that. “Kyuhyun, you just ditched a scholarship and got on a ten-hour flight to be with your boyfriend. What else commitment do you need?”

  “I love Sungmin. And I am going to spend the rest of my life with him, regardless if we get married or not. I’ll still love him even if we don’t have a ring or ceremony or pastor.” He shrugged. “Besides, who wants to go to all that trouble for just one night?”

  Eunhyuk deadpanned. “You’re willing to fly practically all the way across the world for him, but you don’t want to plan a wedding because it’s too much trouble?”

  “Why do I bother talking to you?” Once they were finally served, they made their way back to their table, where their boyfriends were already discussing how they should do their hair for the wedding.

  “And Heechul can do that curling thing he—wait a minute.” Sungmin suddenly remembered something. “Heechul, aren’t you going to be leaving soon? Are you even going to be here for the wedding?”

  “I’ll probably come back here for special occasions and stuff.” Heechul was quick to notice how Sungmin’s face fell when he realized the latter hadn’t changed his mind about leaving. “Stop looking at me like that.”

  “Are you really going to leave your best friends just to ‘find yourself’?” Sungmin made air quotes with his fingers—Heechul scowled. “You don’t want to break up the group, do you?”

  “If it’s going to make you stop guilt-tripping me, then I’ll just be gone for a couple of months. Like a trial thing or something. If things don’t work out, then I’ll come back. There, are you happy now?”

  “Yeah,” Sungmin rested his head on Kyuhyun’s shoulder and took the time to appreciate this moment. He realized that what he had right now, right here at this table was pretty damn good. “I’m happy.”

  Something told him that things were finally going to start falling into place.

~*~

Thanks for everything, guys <3 I wouldn’t have gone this far without you. Thank you for all the patience and support and love *huggles* I love you guys xoxo

Well, this is the end. Sort of. Y'see, the following are not really sequels, they’re more like spin-offs. Maybe even epilogues? I don't really know. Anyway, Viva Las Gaygas is a KyuMin oneshot, while Soon-to-Be Mr. and Mrs. Lee will be multi-chaptered (five chapters, at most). Hope you enjoy them :D