Inventing Their New Complications

Ever Enough
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Han Huisoo did not usually have a long working hours. It was always busy at the hospital, but she had never been assigned to be on duty for more than 10 hours a day. Not only was it because she was a second-year fellow anesthetist whose participation revolved around watching big senior anaesthetists work on a big surgeries or being a pushover to be in charge of small surgeries (while being watched by nobled Professors from the monitor room), but also because she worked for the most credible public hospital in Seoul where needless to say, had very sufficient qualified medical personnels. Thus, taking out emergency calls as an exception, doctors like Huisoo would be responsible of ten hours on-duty per day. She came at 7 in the morning on Monday and Friday (she did not really fancy the idea), at 12 p.m every Tuesday and Wednesday, and at 6 p.m on Thursday. She had day-off on the weekend, but emergency calls were unvavoidable nature.

By now, she was supposed to sign out from her department lab because it was Friday. She should be off after 6 p.m when it was Friday unless she would rather stay of course.

She was out at the 18th floor rooftop again, just like she had been for the past two days.

She was not alone of course. The 18th floor was doctors floor. Most of hospital department labs were on the 16th floor, so anyone could locate doctors everywhere at the rooftop from time to time specially during shift change hours. From afar, she could see some of her department seniors with coffee in their hands, sitting on the grass while talking. Some doctors from other departments were sitting on the wooden bench under the tall and vining bougenville that had created overhead flower canopy.

A nervous smile was pulled on Huisoo's face when a jet-black-haired man from one of the small crowds waved at her happily. She got an impression that he was going to join her lonely companion because seniors always did that when they saw their juniors less-customary than usual, and they would begin talking advice like it was really the case in every situation where they found themselves overwhelmed with curiosity.

Except, Huisoo was not in a less-customary state now or anything else that required a know-it-all senior's advice. Everything about her was still the same despite the silver band that was prettily wrapped around one of her fingers.

Yup.

If anything, the cause of her uneasiness was the thin band. She knew there was no need for little lies, but they were better than being shoved to initiate some pathetic dates with the man she had been engaged to.

The lies came so easy. Important surgeries, becoming the assistant for Professor Hong 6 p.m visits, and Lab members dinner outing did come very easily from - all of which meant her mother would not question her for coming home late-- not that prolonging her shift was a thing-- going home was a kind of private sanctuary for her though, especially her bed. Only she had prepared herself to trade her hearty naps for a bigger comfort, and that was to be free from demands. 

She did not despise her fiance nor did he have anything to blame. Both of them were just big-time casualties of his father’s life time advice way before his death. Yet again, none of the previous reasoning on her fiance's innocence would help in defining that he was a comfortable person. It was really to be fair that Huisoo thought he was not at guilt. She just did not find it comfortable to be nagged with a bunch of questions and orders if she happened to be home with a lot of free time in the evening. Moreover, she did not see the significance of meeting him. The male had not even bothered to even pay a simple visit to her parents' domicile after the engagement last month, so why would she be the one to break and seek the other one out?

            “Sorry, Mom. I got a flat-tyre, think it will take an hour to repair it. You guys may dine without me,” She said apologetically while bitting on her nail, “Nope. There's no need to bother Oppa, I can handle this.” She assured her mother regretfully. She did not like having to come up with different excuses to cover up her inability of explaining her diagreement toward something, especially to her parents. For now, it was the easiest way to dodge away from the resposibility of owning up to the consequences of agreeing to the the marriage arrangement.

            “Yes, of course. Enjoy your dinner, Mom.” Relieved, she bade goodbye as quickly as possible before her mother could come up with wittier scenarios.

Thirty minutes later, she bade goodbye to her fellow doctors in the anaesthetist lab. She was riding down the lift with a settled plan to eat out with her bestfriend, Hayoung. It was hard to see each other when life was busy. The last time they saw each other was on the engagement day. Both of them had not tried to catch up before or even after the engagement due to their schedule that sometimes did not match.

Tonight was an exception.

Escaping the hospital building, the young doctor fixed her night cardigan in the need of warmth. Despite the exceptional warmth throughout the day, spring night in Seoul could be quite chilly. But of course she could live.

As she was trying to spot her small red city car around the parking lot, her eyes randomly caught a familiar figure in the distance, sitting casually on the hood of a black saloon car with arms folded together.

Huisoo paused her track and knitted her brows.

            What is Kim Jongin doing here?

She was sure it was him. Despite the dimmed lights of strip-lighting on each corner of the parking lot, there was no way she would fail to recognize him.

Without further thoughts, she convinced herself that dropping by to greet him first place was harmless; but then he preceeded her plot by calling her name out from a far, formally. Her mind zoned out for about two seconds before instinctively, her lips were pulled into a small smile. Kim Jongin had finally learned a proper way to pronounce her name good. Even during their families gathering in which they were forced to take a small walk to at least know a bit about each other, the man had never tried to address her by name.

            “H- hey,” She greeted him, “Someone to visit?” What the hell, Han Huisoo? She deadpanned after the realisation of such a lame formalities.

Her fiance frowned.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter