Chapter 13

Day time: Like a Human. Night time: Like a Monster

 

 

“…”

“Would you like to tell me privately?”

“Neh…”

“Alright, let’s go out then, let me tell Baro oppa first.”

I got up from the couch and walked over to Baro oppa.

“Baro oppa?”

“Neh?”

“I’m gonna go for a walk with Jonghyun oppa… He told me that he needs to tell me something privately.”

“Hmm, alright. I trust you and Jonghyun. Go ahead.”

“Alright, bye oppa!”

“See you later.”

Jonghyun oppa and I left the house, and went for a walk in the park. We walked in silence for fifteen minutes until he lead me to a bench. We both sat down silently. He seemed to be deep in thought before he finally told me,

“About what I’m about to tell you, you promise not to freak out?”

“Neh.”

He hesitated for a few seconds but finally said,

“I’m your brother.”

My eyes widened as my heart skipped a beat out of slight panic.

“A-Are you sure?”

“Neh… I’m your blood related brother.”

“But… H-How? I grew up as an only child! I was told that I didn’t have any siblings!”

“I ran away from home when I was seven, and still a human. You were only four, so you wouldn’t remember me.”

“But… Our last names are different. I’m a Park and you’re a Kim. Not only that, but you’re a vampire too!”

“I might as well tell you my life story…”

-Flashback, Jonghyun’s POV-

I was running home, hoping that my parents wouldn’t notice that I was late. I had stayed out playing on a playground for ten minutes longer than I was supposed to. I was going to stay until a girl was picked up by her parents, and they came ten minutes late. It took at least five minutes to run back home from the playground that I was at. I slowly opened the door and crept in. The lights seemed to be on, and I peeked into the kitchen, and saw my parents talking to each other, backs turned to me. I tiptoed across the hall, but then I was caught.

“And where do you think you’re going, Jonghyun?” my appa asked me.

“Um… to my room?”

“You know, you need to learn how to be precise.”

My umma disappeared and came back with a thick wooden bar and a baseball bat. Tonight was going to be another one of those torturous nights. I was already fed up with the beatings, and ran to my room, locking the door from the inside. I got a giant bag, and packed all of my clothes and personal belongings. The last thing I packed was a framed picture of me and my sister. Tears came to my eyes and rolled down my cheeks.

*Goodbye, Erin-ah… Saranghae. I’m sorry for leaving you behind, you’re too young to come along with me. I hope you have a better life, living in America in less than a month. I hope we meet again another time.*

I lightly set it down in my bag and hopped out of my window. I ran into the streets, unsure of where I was going. I suddenly bumped into a mid-aged couple who seemed to be in their thirties. I fell back onto my rear. I got up and bowed, apologizing.

“That’s quite alright, young man. Where are your parents?”

I looked away, unsure if I should tell them the truth. I decided on telling them.

“They’re at home… I ran away from them tonight because I got fed up with their beatings. With the simplest tiny mistakes, I’d get beat… Please, can you take me home with you?”

I gave them my puppy eyes as I lightly begged.

They smiled at me and the lady said,

“Well, we always wanted a child, but never bothered to make one. What’s your name and how old are you?”

“My name is Jonghyun, and I’m seven.”

“Well Jonghyun-ah, let’s go to your new home.”

My eyes sparkled as they each took one of my hands and my new appa carried my bag of things.

*My umma and appa never held my hands like this…*

We walked for fifteen minutes and we arrived at an expensive looking home.

“Welcome to the residence of the Kim’s, Jonghyun-ah.”

They brought me inside and my eyes widened at how beautiful this giant home was. They chuckled at my expression as they pulled me into a huge bedroom.

“This room was always used for guests, but we hardly have anyone come to visit us. So this can be your room.”

“Really?! Thank you, umma and appa! I love it already!”

They chuckled at my enthusiasm.

I was never reported as a lost child, and my new parents somehow worked out things to change my last name and make me their adopted child.

I lived a happy life until I was in the middle of my teen years when I was around sixteen.

“Have a safe trip to work!” I called to my umma and appa as they left after having breakfast with me.

I wondered how Erin-ah was doing with her life in America, and if she even remembered me. The day passed by as I went to school and hung out with friends. I was at my house with my friends, when all of the sudden, I got a call on my cell phone from a local number. I answered it,

“Yoboseyo?”

“Hello there, is this Kim Jonghyun?”

“Neh, who is this?”

“This is the police, reporting that your parents have been involved in a car crash.”

My heart skipped a beat.

“S-Say that again, please?”

“Your parents have been involved in a car crash.”

“Omo! Are they alright?!”

“I’m sorry to say that they didn’t make it. A truck that held gasoline, hit your parent’s car and it exploded from the collision.”

Tears gathered up in my eyes and threatened to fall, but I didn’t let them.

*You’re Kim Jonghyun, stay strong!*

“Oh… I see. Th-Thanks for reporting to me.”

“It’s not a problem, goodbye.”

We hung up and my friends stared at me with curiosity.

“Who was that, hyung?”

“…It was the police…”

“Omo, what did they tell you?!”

“…”

Another friend said,

“C’mon, we’re your friends. You can tell us anything, man.”

“…My parents are dead now… I was told that they died in a car crash with a truck filled with gasoline... They’re DEAD.”

“Your real parents or the ones that took you in and treated you right?”

“The ones that took me in and treated me right. If it were my real parents, then I’d be happy.”

Everyone was silent for a minute, taking in all of the news. They knew about how wonderful my newer parents were. They loved everyone, and all of my friends. It was like they were second parents to all of my friends.

Nobody knew what to say, and didn’t bother saying anything. I leaned back into the sofa, face palming myself to keep the tears in.

Years passed after that incident and I grew to accept their deaths. I inherited their money, which seemed to be a lot. No wonder they had such a big home. I continued to live at their house ever since they died. I was finally twenty years old. It was about midnight, and I was walking home from helping a friend move from a house to an apartment. I walked down a busy street and turned into an alley way which was a short cut back home. I started to feel like I was being watched. I looked to my left…

*Nobody to the left, how about the right?*

I looked to the right and there was nobody there. I looked up at the rooftops, but there was also nobody there. I turned around only to end up face to face with a young, beautiful woman around my age. I stared at her, sensing that there was something wrong with the picture. She seemed a bit paler than normal. She stared back at me, as if she was looking into my soul.

*Something feels off about her, and I’m not liking it.*

Suddenly, her eyes turned bright red, as she opened to reveal…

*Fangs?! Is this real?!*

“Oh yes, this is completely real, human.”

“H-Huh? Did you just read my thoughts?”

“Yes, I did.”

I blinked and I suddenly felt pain in my neck. I shifted my gaze down to see that she had bit my neck. I felt something cool, run through my bloodstream. She pulled away and I screamed from a burning sensation in my muscles. Before I passed out, the last thing I heard was,

“Live life, expecting the unexpected. You shall learn to expect the unexpected with your new immortality.”

And that was the night where I was turned into a vampire.

-End Flashback, Erin’s POV-

*Omo… He really is my brother!*

I couldn’t think of anything to say after he finished telling me all about his past. I faintly remember those familiar puppy eyes! Without thinking, I wrapped my arms around him, giving him a hug. He smiled and hugged me back, saying,

“It’s nice to see you all grown up, long lost sister of mine.”

I asked him, not breaking the hug,

“How did you know it was me, when you came to the rescue?”

“No Korean girl has an American name unless they lived there. When B1A4 came to us for help, Jinyoung mentioned your name, and I immediately knew that it was you.”

I hugged him tighter and said,

“Well, I’m glad that you came to the rescue, along with everyone else.”

He smiled,

“Me too.”

We pulled away from our hug and my stomach started to grumble.

“I guess I’m a bit hungry…”

Suddenly, a thought was pushed into mine and Jonghyun oppa’s head by Baro oppa,

*Yah, you guys! Are you done yet? Jinyoung hyung got bored and made dinner for all of us!*

I responded,

*Neh, we’ll be coming home now!*

The both of us stood up and started to walk in the direction where I lived. I asked him,

“Do the others know that we’re siblings?”

He answered,

“Nope.”

“Should we tell them?”

“If you want to.”

We kept on walking for a minute. Jonghyun oppa glanced at me and smirked.

“Oppa, what’s wr- AHHHH!”

At lightning speed, he grabbed my arm, threw me onto his back, piggybacking me and zoomed all the way home. We were there in less than five seconds.

“Yah! Oppa, warn me about that the next time you do that!” I pouted.

He chuckled and pat my head before opening the front door. We walked in to smelling really good smelling food. I walked over to Baro oppa and sat on his lap on the couch. He wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed my cheek.

“So what did you guys talk about?”

I looked at Jonghyun oppa, who nodded for me to go on as Jinyoung oppa set the food down on the table.

“I found out that Jonghyun oppa is my long lost sibling.”

Everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at me and Jonghyun oppa.

“BWOH?!?!”

Key umma demanded with a hint of red in his eyes,

“Jonghyun hyung! Erin-ah! Stand side by side, RIGHT NOW!”

We did as he said as everyone lined up, comparing the both of us. I stared at Key umma who seemed to be eyeing us deeply as his glance went from me to Jonghyun oppa and back multiple times. After a minute, Key umma smiled and said,

“Ahhh, I see the resemblance now… You two have similar puppy looking eyes and smiles. Erin-ah’s is just more feminine as to Jonghyun hyung’s is more masculine! How cute!” He squealed and hugged the both of us tightly.

Sandeul oppa said,

“Waaah~ That’s true~! Now I see the resemblance too!”

After everyone finished aweing at us, we finally sat down and ate dinner. After we finished, I exchanged phone numbers with SHINee and they finally left. The rest of us went to do our own things. Sadly, I won’t be able to see Jonghyun oppa very often, since they’re always busy doing sometehing. I sat in between Baro oppas legs with his arms around my waist, as we sat on his bed. I asked Baro oppa,

“How many elite vampires are there?”

“In total?”

“Neh.”

“There are eight, but now there are only seven left.”

“Do they all believe in the same thing that Minhee did?”

“Unfortunately, yes and they’re more strict about it. They’ve probably already heard about her death. So there may be vampires sent out for you. You need to be extremely careful now.”

“N-neh…”

We just sat there together in silence, enjoying each other’s company. I suddenly realized,

*My birthday is in a couple of months!*

*Oh? And when is your birthday?*

*Oops, you heard that?*

He chuckled,

*Of course I did, silly! Now tell me when your birthday is!*

*Aish!!! Well, it’s on September 9th.*

*Omo… Mine is on September 5th! What year were you born?*

*1993, why?*

*Ahh, it seems that I’m a year older than you! And Gongchan-ah is your oppa!*

*Omo!!! Seriously?! Wow…. And I never bothered to ask Gongchan-ah when his birthday is.*

*Why don’t you go and ask him now?*

*Alright…*

I got up from in between his legs as he let go of me. I found Gongchan in his room, playing video games against Jinyoung oppa. They both continued to play as I walked in, but they still greeted me,

“Hello, Erin-ah!”

“Hi! Umm… Gongchan, when is your birthday?”

“August 14th, why?”

“Omo! You really are older than me!”

“Bwoh?!”

He paused the game and looked at me.

“When is your birthday?!”

“September 9th! And apparently, I’m born in the same year as you!”

He grinned at me and said,

“I’m your oppa! Call me oppa!”

“Okay, Gongchan oppa!”

He smiled and offered,

“Did you want to play video games with us?”

“Nah, I’m fine. I at playing anyways.”

Jinyoung oppa pouted,

“That doesn’t matter! We can always get CNU hyung in here to play against you! He’s not that great either!”

From somewhere across the house I heard CNU shout,

“I heard that!” probably from his sharp sense of hearing because he was a vampire.

I laughed and told them,

“Maybe next time, alright?”

“Nehhhhhh~”

They pouted as I left and went back to Baro oppa’s room. I sat down in our position earlier and told him,

“Gongchan is now my oppa.”

“Cool.” He kissed my lips.

I eventually fell asleep in Baro oppa’s comfortable arms. I started dreaming…

 

 

Hey guys! I updated!!! :D heehee, i hoped you liked the surprise! i just felt like putting a twist into the story xD anyways, subscribe and comment!