Baekhee

Taking You Back

My name is Baekhee, Park Baekhee.

I’m six.

My father is Park Chanyeol.

I call him Papa.

Papa loves me and Baekhee love papa too.

Papa is 18 and working.

We live in a big house, only me and papa.

And people working inside.

 

Baekhee never meet Mama.

Papa said he left.

But Baekhee thinks he will come back.

 

My mama has a name

His name is Byun Baekhyun.

 

Mama is beautiful.

He has eyes like Baekhee’s.

Papa said he had the most beautiful eyes he ever seen.

And also voice like an angel.

I can’t remember his face.

 

All Baekhee remember was an uncle looking at me when Baekhee wake up.

 

Baekhee wonders when Mama will come back every night.

I asked Papa.

But he didn’t say much.

 

Baekhee don’t understand.

Why papa looks so sad when I ask about mama?

 

 

Baekhyun hung his head low as he walks closely with the group down the busy train station under the teacher’s guide. Lots of people rushing here and there, in and out their respective trains. Jongdae is beside him, busying snapping pictures everywhere. Baekhyun thinks it’s unnecessary but he couldn’t blame the latter or everyone else. It’s their first time stepping in a city anyway. Baekhyun kept invincible and unnoticeable as long as he could, he pulled his winter headwear as low as possible hiding his shadow in the crowd.

“Cool! Baekhyun you see that?!” Chen squeal, pointing at a flashy advertisement board. “It’s just like on TV.” Then he starts snapping pictures again. Baekhyun groans, who cares about that. Jongdae’s commotion draws his attention, catching of guard, he run into someone and both fall to the ground. He had run into an old lady with a heavy bag.

The bag was and the content pour over the floor. Baekhyun curse himself clumsy as he chant several times of apologies. Jongdae stops with photo-section and quickly helped Baekhyun with the mess, not wanting be separated with the others.

“Oh my, thank you dear.” The old lady thanks as both teenagers handed the bag back. Baekhyun’s mind rang, he quickly mumble another apology before pulling Jongdae away. But he was too late, he was seen. A loud gapes left the lady’s lips and the bag fell on the floor again. Beakhyun took Chen’s hands and flee. Both were quickly buried into the crowd and found their schoolmates.

Baekhyun muffles as drags Chen into a random convenient shop “What did you bought?” Chen felt his arm sore after being pulled and pushed like a rag doll by Baekhyun.

Baekhyun mumbled a quiet nothing while his hand ruffling in the bag. Chen threw his a weird look but shrugs, throwing his arm on Baekhyun’s shoulder and bought them back to the group who are placing their luggage into the bus. Hurriedly, Baekhyun threw his luggage with chen’s and seated themselves on random seats, then pulls the curtains down, out of breath.

Chen creases his brows. When he opens the bag, a bright smile hung on his face. “Thanks Baek.” Chen pulled the unfamiliar snacks out and share with the others. With Chen gone sharing snacks, Baekhyun pulled a mask from his pocket and put them on.

Baekhyun sighs and closes his eyes.  He never wanted this. But what can he do when God is playing game of fate?

 “Oh, what’s with the mask Baek?” Chen had returned with empty hand.

“The air is dirty, I can’t breathe well.” Baekhyun told faking asleep.

 

 

 

“Baekhee-ah, stay close.” Yura yelled at her overly excited niece.

Baekhee turns around and yells back “Okay.” She was wearing her favorite brown autumn dress, with a summer hat on. She runs her little feet into the building handful with flowers.

Yura chuckles at her niece before turning to the man wearing all black beside her. She stops when she notices the man wasn’t following her. “Chanyeol?” the said man stood few feet away from her, hands in his pocket while looking at his surroundings.

The wind blows strongly in a sudden. Yura presses on her hat avoiding being blown away, her brother avoids looking her eyes nor the building. No matter what, he wouldn’t even want to look where he heading.

“Come along.”

“No.” he whispers but Yura heard him.

“You promised, Chanyeol.” Her eyes stings in red, just looking how her brother’s acting makes her heart break into million pieces. “At least you try, come on. Baekhee and Baekhyun are waiting inside.” She approach Chanyeol, but the moment she took a step front, Chanyeol moves a step back. “Please, Chanyeol.”

“I said I’ll try come. But I never promise going in.” Chanyeol grumbles.

A vehicle was coming towards their path. Chanyeol remembers, Baekhyun like riding buses. Even though Chanyeol provide him a ride home whenever they’re visiting the smaller’s hometown, Baekhyun always chooses the bus over Chanyeol’s ride.

 

“I don’t get it, why paying a bus when you can ride home free?” Chanyeol watches the younger stepping in the bus, while his ride is waiting for him behind.

Baekhyun turns around in the middle of the steps “Because I feel home riding bus, Yeol-ah. Wanna follow?” Baekhyun offers him a hand.

Chanyeol need not to think twice, he’d always choose Baekhyun. If Baekhyun wants it, he’ll make sure he has it.

“Fine, if that’s you wanted.” Chanyeol took his hands and pull him in the bus.

 

Another vehicle follows next. It was a tourist bus. Chanyeol watches the vehicle coming his way as the memories of him with Baekhyun riding the bus replays like an old film in his head.

 

Baekhyun draws on the windows covered with fogs.

 

B&C love you always

 

Baekhyun leaning on his shoulder whenever the smaller is tired. Park Chanyeol’s shoulder is open 24/7 for Byun Baekhyun.

 

Their fingers and hands links firmly as Chanyeol whispers flat jokes into Baekhyun’s ear –his most sensitive part, making the smaller giggles like a child.

 

Chanyeol always steps ahead Baekhyun when reach their stop. He’d always help the smaller down the high steps.

 

 

Yura never expect this coming as she witness her brother running towards bus like a mad man as soon the bus past by them.

“Chanyeol!” Yura shrieks and the bouquet in her hands drop on the cold cement, forgotten. “Somebody, stop him!” She shrieks again already running to her brother.

 

“Baekhyun!” Chanyeol saw his love, his love life riding the bus filled with students from other states. “BAEKHYUN!” he swear his eyes did not deceive him. He saw Baekhyun sitting at the end like a still doll when others were singing and having fun. Baekhyun will never have fun without his tree beside him, he must be with Chanyeol to be happy. He must claim Baekhyun back.

Chanyeol is close, he think he is before forces pulled him back and he falls on the ground being devour by shadows following by one another and weights.

“Baekhyun!!!” Chanyeol trashes around as a few man in black picked him up and drags him backwards. “Baekhyun! Let me go you s. Baekhyun needs me!...” he kept yelling and hitting ones whose in his way until…

“Chanyeol! Oh heavens, Chanyeol.” Yura finally made it. She hugs her brother in hustle before she order’s the guards to let go. She hushes the boy to calm his raging nerves. “It’s okay. You’re fine now.” She shushes.

" He's there ! Noona , I swear it's him . Let me go! " Chanyeol struggle from his sister's arm .

" Chanyeol --- " Yura refuses to let his brother slip away from her.

" Noona , please let me go ! I'm not lying , it's him ! Please! " his body starts trembling, his eyes never leave where the bus left. “Baekhyun needs me.” Chanyeol ended with whispers.

" Park Chanyeol --- " his sister sob quietly .

" I beg you noona , please let me go. I'll prove it I'll bring him back! He was there, right in front of us! " he shove his sister off, prepare to run again.

" PARK CHANYEOL ! - "

 

*SLAP*

 

Yura pants heavily, her lips trembling and tears running down her cheeks. She slapped her beloved brother. "He's dead ..." she whimpers out softly.

"HE DIED ! YOU KNEW IT! WE EVEN WENT TO HIS FUNERAL! I BEG YOU TO GET IT INTO YOUR BRAIN! BYUN BAEKHYUN DIED!!!! " Yura screams upon her voice. “He’s dead. That’s why you are here. We’re visiting his grave remember, with our angel Baekhee?  She here to see her mama.” She hushes her tear stained brother. “What you see is the past Chanyeol-ah. It’s all the past. Let it go, please. Let the past go.” Yura cries quietly on his brother’s shoulder.

 

 

 

“I should have gone with Baekhyun.”  He whispers painfully. The slap his sister left stings red on his cheeks, but the pain in his heart is much unendurable.

 

 

 

Baekhyun sits calmly, a perfect porcelain doll as everyone else is having a hard time balancing themselves. Chen and the other were whimpering in pain like a kicked puppy. They couldn’t even stay for 3 second. Weirdly, Baekhyun receives most praise and curious from others. The teachers were shock when Baekhyun could brew perfect tea from the set and hold the cup using finger tips. Then he was given a new pet name –perfect bride.

Yes, they are learning manners, ironic enough.

The class was interrupted by an aged man requesting to replace the class. As the man walks in the room, Baekhyun felt a sharp stab right through his heart.

 

Chanyeol’s grandfather.

 

Baekhyun could never imagine the old man standing right in front of him. It just like a slap in the face to know Mr. Park is the founder of the house. His body is covered in thin sweat as he wonders if the other members are here.

The old man glance at the students and chuckles, “It’s been a long time to have such young guest, what an honor.” He said happily and sits perfectly in the middle, not far away from Baekhyun. “Now, do any of you children know how to play chekeo?

The room falls silent as students look at one another. He felt sorry for the elder as Chen asked him what the thing is. Baekhyun quietly told him it’s a traditional game of Korean checker.

“My, how do you know that my son?” old Mr. Park looked at Baekhyun who jumps in his sit. Now, all eyes on the perfect bride. He blames himself for underestimating the elder. Old Mr. Park has very sharp hearings despite his old age.

“I-I played once.” Baekhyun quickly avoid eye contact. Yes, he played traditional checkers. Not once but times with Chanyeol’s grandfather.

“Would you like to play with me?” a youngster should not refuse an elder’s request –that’s what he was taught. So, he steps in the table with classmates cheering for him.

As he planned, the elder wins. His fellow classmate and the master’s follower cheers for the old man but the winner didn’t look amused.

“You planed it didn’t you.” Baekhyun gapes. He was taken off guard and made an eye contact. The cover been blown. Old Mr. Park stares at the boy in absolute surprise.

“Y-you …”

 

“Great grandpapa!” a voice chimes outside and the door was slide open by a small figure.

Old Mr. Park flash a bright smile as the child fly herself toward the old man. “Ommona, what bring our princess here?”

“Oh, great grandpapa have guests?” the little girl looks around the crowd. Then she stood straight before she bows in perfect 90 degrees. “Annyeong~, my name is Park Baekhee. I’m 6 years old.” Then she shares her brightest smile ever yet.

The crowd squeals at her cute boldness as the child clings behind her great grandfather.

Baekhyun’s lips trembles, his eyes were glassy. He felt relieve yet somehow afraid.

“Mama!” Baekhee points at Baekhyun. The boy swears he was about run not until Baekhee hugs his arm, smiling up at him. “Mama, oppa have mama’s eye!” she chirps happily and told her great grandfather her shocking news.

Baekhyun tries pushing Baekhee’s tight grip away but all he wanted is to hug his baby tight in his arm. He felt dizzy, tired, pain as if his world is crumpling down. He seeks for help. But all is get is squealings and stares of jealousy. He was dragged outside the studying hut by Baekhee scolding the moment she heard her name being called by an unknown person. He remembers that voice. It’s Yura.

He didn’t know what’s happening but he’s running, with Baekhee deep in the woods.

 

 

“Aunty Yura and Papa are lairs.” She told as she draws invisible circle on the lush grass. Baekhyun watch the girl quietly. Inside he was proud of himself seeing his invention doing just fine. They stayed in the open path until Baekhee spoke again. “Is oppa sick?” she was referring the mask. Baekhyun smile in the mask and shook his head. His heart drops to see his baby’s sad face. “I missed Mama.” She said “Can I call oppa Mommy? Oppa has mama’s bright eyes.”

Baekhyun frowns. Stay strong Byun Baekhyun. It’s for everyone’s sake. He told himself. He pats the girls head. “It’s okay.” He comforts. Baekhyun pouts and lay on the stranger’s lap. “Oppa, can oppa sing for me?” she looks timidly at Baekhyun “Papa says mama always sing when papa is sad. Baekhee never hear him sing. Baekhee … mama is not here anymore.” She broke off, burying herself in Baekhyun.

Baekhyun feels his face wet. He bit his tongue to suppress his cries. He cares Baekhee’s hair and opens his mouth.

 

 

 

All I hear is raindrops

Falling on the rooftop

Oh baby tell me why’d you have to go

Cause this pain I feel

It won’t go away

And today I’m officially missing you

I thought that from this heartache

I could escape

But I fronted long enough to know

There ain’t no way

And today

I’m officially missing you…

 

 

Sweet tunes of melodies fall out between his lips as he lulls the child curling on his lap. He brushes Baekhee’s silky hair. It’s been a long time he had his child on his lap. Baekhyun sings his heart out, every word have his feelings in. The woods filled with Baekhyun soft voice. He kept singing while Baekhee falls deeply asleep.

 

 

“Mama...”

 

 

 

Chanyeol pushes the bushes blocking his way as he yells out, searching for a certain raven haired. He was furious when Yura failed to bring his daughter back and told him she had run into the woods.

“Baekhee!” He runs to the small frame laying on the grass, her hair falling all direction. He pulls Baekhee into his arm.

The sleeping beauty wakes up upon someone calling in her sleep. She rubs her eyes with her cute little hands, “Mommy?” and slowly opens her eyes. She didn’t expect to see her father. She looks around her before she broke out crying.

Chanyeol cooed the girl curling in his arm, carrying her out the woods. Baekhee wails, crying for her mother. Chanyeol thinks it’s too sudden. Never once his baby girl cried out missing her mommy. He wonders what had happen or worse Baekhee is broken. He became worried as Baekhee sobs in his arm. She told her daddy he met mommy, and he sang to her and lulls her to sleep. Chanyeol said she's imagining things but it worsen her wails.

Baekhee told her father an old lady said she saw her Mama too, when Baekhee visits her mama at his gravestone. Baekhee confesses, the old lady she saw introduced herself someone living near mama's neighourhood, saying she always treat him ice-cream when he's still a child. She also told her father that the old lady saw her mommy in the train station and told her many stories about her mother while aunty Yura and papa was still outside the building.

Chanyeol is freaking out. He didn't know how to calm the crying child in his arm. If what Baekhee said were truth? What the unknown old lady said, is it true? His felt his head heavy. As he though, shouldn't promise Baekhee. He regrets it now. Now that Baekhee is suffering the same pain he is. 

Chanyeol carried Baekhee in his arm as he walks into the hotel. The place where resembles Byun Baekhyun everywhere.

 

 

Jardin de Phalaenopsis

 

 

 

Chen eyed worriedly at the sobbing boy beside him. Baekhyun came back alone with red eyes. He wanted to ask where he been but seeing the boy’s broken face, he shut up. During their journey to the next destination, Baekhyun sobs quietly as tears rolls down like droplets of rain. Chen soothes the crying boy patting his back.

 

 


 

Attn:

Prepare for the epic reunion.