Young Master

Taking You Back

It’s another peaceful day in the Wu’s manor. The maids were carefully cleaning the mansion taking their time as the mansion only lives a madam. 83 year old Mrs. Wu is arranging the flowers picked from her personal garden, filled with various type of exotic flowers back in her age. The flower blooms beautifully under Mrs. Wu’s much of care and pamper. Her hobby that is, walking around her beautiful garden, talking with the flowers while a few slowly flowing her behind, no one beside. Back then only her favorite grandson, the only child of the Wu is allowed to stay beside her, sometimes her grandson’s lover would do the honor, was a lovely innocent child with a very cute smile, honest and loyal to her grandson and her, a perfect choice to be married. If lucky, both her grandson and grandson’s lover would spend the evening with her. Most unfortunate it’s all the past now. Her only grandson went missing one day, leaving her in this old manor. Even the lover didn’t know where he went, both cried and wail for the lost.

“Dear, it’s lovely.” Mrs. Wu praises her own creation, a big smile plaster on her winkled face. The maids gape and clap as agreements, praising their madam’s great taste for art. Though the old Mrs. Wu is smiling inside, she felt lonely. She missed her grandson ruthless comments, whining from boredom while waiting his grandmother and lover to finish. His long leg stretches across the table with his lover besides, sitting across her soothing him to be patient with his gentle voice.

Mrs. Wu sighs for the nth time this afternoon. Her hands folds on her lap, she closes her eyes for a little rest. She remembers clearly the day the lover came visits her for the last time, few months back. They were also in this room, arranging flowers. The only different was then the grandson wasn’t there, but was grateful his lover was there to accompany her as they both share the same pain and guilt. After they had finished, the lover told her he’s leaving China to the neighboring country to further his studies, hoping grandmother could wish him luck and safety. And she did. She sent him to the airport along with his family. They all cried when he left.

“Madam, please rest.” The butler advices, he too was old. Sixty above and was serving the household since he was twenty or so.

Mrs. Wu nods and raises her arm. The maid come to her side and helped her to her room. She glances around the room before she leaves. Her eyes glued on the picture hang in the middle of the room. Herself sat on the armchair in the living room with her grandson and grandson’s lover stood beside her. All plastered with smile of happiness.

The butler bows when the madam leaves the room, sighs when the door close, feeling a pity in the bottom of his heart. Fixing his feeling, he turns his heels and start cleaning. He is almost finished when the phone rang. Sliding his hand out the glove, he picked the phone.

“ Hello?”

“Heyyo, Uncle Li.”

Mr. Li’s eyes widen in much horror. His face pale as if he heard of ghost, blankly shocked and surprised. His lips trembles, hands shaky. His mind twirls like dancing ballerina was in the edge of fainting. He heard a soft mumble ‘Did he change his number? The caller was about to hang when Mr. Li stops him. He could never mishear this voice, the voice calling upon him for almost twelve years.

“Y-young master?” he heard a faint laugh, almost sound like relieve.

“It’s been a long time Uncle Li.”

 


 

 


The car jerked back to an angry stop. Mr. Li leap out the car and hurried in the airport. Running himself in the arrival gate like a madman did make attention. Pushing that aside, he ran his eyes 360 degree, looking for a familiar tall figure, maybe taller before. Maybe he was too deperate, he didn’t notice the one he was looking for is just right beside him.

“Boo!”

“Heavens me.” Mr. Li step a few foot backwards, a hand against his chest, where his old heart’s placed. “Young Master.”

The younger master laughs and claps him hands. “Never get old.”

Mr. Li always wanted to hit him, his young master who’s always pranks and act spoiled and immature. His rage went wild when he remembered how madame and the lover cried when they found out he was missing.

The young master smiled, Mr. Li shivers as it was a smile never seen. “ I’m sorry.” The young master said. “I’m sorry I ran away. Thank you Uncle Li, for taking care of Nai Nai when I’m gone . And again I’m sorry, for everything.” The young master finished and bows, a bow of guilt and gratitude.

Mr. Li’s lips trembles. His eyes stings but he held them the rage in him gone. Looking at the young master carefully, he notice the young master in the past changed. He had grown taller, more muscular, tainted. A child when he’s gone, a man –mature and gentleman when he returned. Mr. Li straighten his back, stood like a proud father. He put a hand on the young master’s shoulder, giving him a squeeze. The young master looks up and smiles. Mr. Li pulled the younger master and gave him a tight embrace. The young master choke in surprise, patting  Mr. Li’s back. He smiles as he in the same scent of Uncle Li for the past year, old cologne and the smell of Wu manor.

“Welcome back.” Mr Li said he broke the embrace. “Welcome home, Young Master.” 

 

“I’m home.”

Mr. Li offers help with the young master’s bags but he refused his offer, insisting Mr. Li to wait him in the car. The young master  leaps in when he’s done, making himself comfortable with his long legs in the narrow car.

“What’s Nai Nai doing?” he asked as Mr. Li step on the gas, leaving the airport.

“Madam is resting. She’d be very happy to see you back after her waiting for so long.” Mr. Li told with a sad smile. “She missed you very much young master.”

“I see.” The young master rests his head. “Before that, I have a place I ought to visit.”

“Pardon?”

“The Hwang’s.”

Mr. Li step on the brake unnoticed, jerking the car forward. “Young master! I’m terribly sorry. Are you alright?”

The young master laughs “That’s fun. Let’s do it again.” He beamed.

“Young master, this is serious ma –“

“I’m fine. Geez, stop worrying. Anyway stop calling me ‘young master’ it’s .”

“Young master, the things is t –“

“Nuh-uh uh.” The young master cut him off. “My name is Yifan. Not ‘young master’. You should know that Uncle Li.”

“Of course.” Mr. Li apologized. “But master Yifan, I don’t think t’s the time to visits Master Tao now.”

“He’ll cry you know. You knew he hates it when you call him that.” Yifan corrects.

Mr. Li open his mouth to protease but was cut off again.

“I know. I didn’t say I was going to visit him. I said I want to visit the Hwang’s.”

Mr. Li frowns. “I don’t understand.”

“You don’t have to. I know Tao’s not in China.”

Mr. Li flinched. “How did you…”

“ I knew because I’m he’s lover and I know him better than anyone else.” He said proudly with his chin up. “I also know Uncle Hwang hates my balls after I left. Can’t blame him though, since I broke our promise and made Tao cry a river, not to mention grandma too.” Yifan look at Mr. Li through the mirror. He’s pale and shocked. “If you’re going to ask how the hell I knew, don’t. Long story.”

“I do not dare to, Master Yifan.”

“Good.”

 

Mr. Li stops the car in front of the Hwang’s manor, outside the tall gate.

Kris smile as he remembered back in the days, they gates were already open before he arrives, with his anxious lover waiting his outside the gate with his expressionless butler –Mr. Yue. He also remember Tao will run to him before he could even open the door himself. Leaping onto him and crushing him with full strength calling him over and over again.

“Master Yifan…” Mr. Li called. Even if Yifan acts normal, he himself felt trouble for his young master. He flinched when Kris open the door.

“Well, here goes nothing.” He said and step out the car.

 

Mr. Hwang was reading the evening newspaper in the living room while the butler pours him a cup of tea. It was peaceful before one of the maids rush in hurry.

“Master –.” Before the maid can finish, a figure walks in uninvited.

“Good evening Uncle Hwang.” Kris, had walk himself into the room. As he expected, the mansion felt cold and horrible without the warm presence of Tao.

Mr. Hwang indeed was shock to see Kris in his house. Even the Hwang’s expressionless butler moved a muscle by the corner of his lips. Knowing that fact had make Yifan’s day adventurous.

“Long time no see.” Yifan smile and bows.

" How dare you ... " Mr. Huang curls his fingers up into a fist .

Kris stood straight and smile "I just arrived China and thought I should drop by to visit you and Tao."

Mr. Yue, sets the teapot with the set and stood behind Mr. Hwang. The maids have their heads down knowing the tense in the room.

" HOW DARE YOU SAY HIS NAME INFRONT OF ME WHEN YOU LEFT HIM ! " Mr. Hwang barks. His fingers grip on his armchair, knuckle turning white.

 Kris drop his smile "Where's Tao ? " he ask again but with in a calm cold tone .

Mr. Huang slams his fist on his arm-chair and stood up, upsetting his tea by spilling them on the floor. "GET OUT!" he point at the door. "Leave! I don't want to see you. Don't you dare walk into this house ever again! You hurt my boy once and there will be no second. As his father, I will never let you hurt him again!" Mr. Huang spat. His voice loud enough even Yifan won’t be surprise if Mr. Li heard him outside.

Kris stares at Mr. Huang, then run his eyes around the living room.

 

Silent

 

He scoffs before bow at the furious father and left to room smirking. Before he left, he stop at the door.  “Oh, I almost forget.” He turns around. Mr. Hwang, still standing with furious and red face. “Thank you for keeping the secret.” He bows again before completing leaving the house to its original state.

 Mr. Hwang breath out, didn’t know he was holding them. He slumps onto the chair with a pale face. His rage before were gone nowhere. “How did he…” he had lost his words.

“Master, should we t –.” Mr. Hwang raise his arm before Mr. Yue could finish.

“No, my boy is scarred enough. Leave him be. That boy didn’t even have a clue where my Tao is.” Mr. Hwang rests his arm on his original position. “Still…” he frowns. “Gracious, how did he find out.” He said as he covers his mouth, restless.

 

Mr. Li walks round about outside the Hwang’s manor, relived when he sees Yifan walking out the gate, a satisfied smile plastered on his face.

“Let’s go home Uncle Li.” Kris hops in the car, Mr. Li followed seconds later.

“That was fast.” Quickly, he buckles up and step on the gas, driving home to the Wu’s manor.

“Uncle Hwang had a go on me.” He told.

Mr. Li chuckle and shook his head. “That’s wasn’t surprising. I wouldn’t be surprise either if Madame faints if she sees you, since it had been 2 years then.”

“Yeah…”

Everything was a fast forward then. The first step on the ground of Wu’s household, Kris hears screams of maids, not to mention some faint, surprised on the young master’s sudden appearance. Then he saw his beloved grandmother, limping down the stairs, her hair was messy. Yifan bet it’s because she awaken by the uproar downstairs and hurried down to see what’s wrong. And just like Mr. Li had bet. Grandmother did faint. But she was strong enough to stay awake till Yifan held her and helped her to her room. When he suceed, a slap boomed the room. Yes, for the first time, Madame Wu hit her beloved, favored, and one and only grandson. Holding back her tears, she scolded Kris.

“You immature, heartless brat!” she spat “Do you know I have been so, so worried. As if I’m in grief of your parents, praying days and nights. If it’s wasn’t for Tao, I’ve gone with your parents, meeting then there, committing a terrible sin if I must.” Her eyes were red, dark shadows beneath.

Kris said nothing, kneeling by his grandmother’s bed, just like when grandmother was sick in bed. He felt guilt yet relived, relived that grandmother didn’t go with his parents.

“But I’m glad.” She whispers. Kris looks up at his grandmother, confused. “Glad that I didn’t commit that horrible sin, at least there’s someone you left for me to care of and to take care of me.” She folds Yifan hands with her old winkled ones. “Your parents left the world but you’re still with me. You left the house, and yet Tao’s with me.” A tear drops from the corner of her eyes, Kris bit his lips of guilt “Next time.” She sighs “At least leave a note before you leave, a letter should be enough, enough to tell me, us that you’ll be fine.” She in breath. “Yifan-ah, don’t make Nai Nai worry ever again. Come, promise me.”

“I promise.” Kris promised, he swears to god. “I’ll be good, I’ll be here whenever you need me. I won’t go anywhere anymore Nai nai.” He hugs his grandmother even kneeling, he’s tall enough to meet his grandmother’s level. Madame Wu hugs her grandson back, rocking him as if he’s still a child. Cross that, he’s forever a child in his grandmother’s eyes.

“And one more thing.” Grandmother smirks.

“And what’s that?” Yifan asked, participating.

“Go bring Tao back.”