Dolls

Taking You Back

 

Chanyeol sits on the balcony as he waits anxiously. He had been looking out, staring at the gate since morning, waiting for it to be open and for a car to enter. It been a few months since he seen her. He counts as the time goes tick-tock tick-tock over and over again.

“Young master.” Chanyeol jolts in his awake. He didn’t notice Taeyeon had come in his room calling him for a time now.

“Yes?” He asked “Has the rooms been prepared? Everything I ordered, are they well placed?” Chanyeol sounded like a desperate person, but no one can blame him. Every parent will feel the same.

Taeyeon sighs, her lips curl up a little. “Yes, yes and yes. All well prepared, master. She’ll be very delight.”

Chanyeol smiles, was rare once in a while. If it’s for her, he will do anything to keep her safe, after he had failed to do once. Just then the gates open. Chanyeol rush forward and saw a familiar limo driving in the mansion yard. After conforming, he’s the first one to rush ahead before Taeyeon, who only chuckle and shook her head.

Chanyeol was like a madman. Before the maids could open the tall heavy door, he had already done it, just in time the limo stops in front his door step. The door opened, a lady in her late twenties steps out elegantly.

“Hello, Chanyeol. Long time no see.”

“Indeed a long time, Noona.”

 

“How have you been?” his sister asks as she place her sunglasses on the table. Taeyeon entered the living room to serve them tea.

Chanyeol chuckle coldly as he rests his back on the soft cushion. “What do you think? , when you kidnapped my girl with you.”

Yura laughs even Taeyeon was trying to keep her face steady.

“An over protective father are you? Geez, I just borrowed her for a few months Chanyeol, a vacation to Europe.” she crosses her arms “Since you wouldn’t bring her out even she begs you to bring her to the park.”

Chanyeol raise his brows. “She attends pre-school. You made her absent for the semester.”

“Correction.” She raises a finger. “She had been studying aboard too, when she’s in Europe with me. Thanks me later when she speaks fluent French with you.”

Chanyeol rolls his eyes. He looks at Taeyeon who is now pouring them drinks. “What’s she doing so long, Taeyeon?”

Taeyeon smile as she serves them drinks on the table. “‘Tell papa it’s a secret if he asks you anything.’ That’s what she told me, master Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol scoffs while Yura across him giggles. “That girl, just like her mother.” He pulled a pillow to his lap and crosses his leg.

They room felt cold suddenly. A worried and sad faces hung on Yura and Taeyeon’s.

“Chanyeol-ah, you…” she broke off.

“I’m fine noona, stop worrying.” Chanyeol gave a fake smile.

It took a few second for his sister to reply. “Mother told me you’re … hallucinating again. Is it true?” her voice was soft and careful.

Chanyeol only sighs deeply, avoiding having an eye contact. “I missed my girl too much, that’s why, nothing to worry about Yura-noona.”

Yura raise her arm in defense “Alright, okay. I heard the man.” Chanyeol chuckle and shook his head. His smiles grow wider when the door opened again, a girl about six or five years old step in the room, wearing a white dress with pale pink laces dressings with ribbon on each side of her shoulder, a flower on top of her little head, looking like an angel send from heaven in Chanyeol’s eyes.

“Papa!” the little girl called and run her little feet towards Chanyeol and his sister who is busying squealing and snapping angry photos. “Do I look pretty?” she asks as she twirls around in her dress.

 

‘Chanyeol-ah, am I pretty?’

 

Chanyeol snickers and swep the girl off her feet. “Of course you do. My little girl is always the prettiest in the whole wide world.” He pecks each side of his daughter’s cheeks.

“Gosh you two are so cute! Chanyeol-ah look aver here.” Yura demands ,still snapping pictures with her phone.

Chanyeol let his daughter sit on his lap “What have you done with her? Spoiling her with pretty dresses.” He frowns, didn’t care to smile at the camera.

“Daddy, don’t you like my dress?” his daughter look at him a pair of sad puppy eyes, hurt by her father’s short notice. “I thought you would like it and asked Aunty Yura to buy it.”

“Of course not.” Chanyeol cooed. “What if bad guys kidnapped you, when my one and only girl is so pretty?” he rubs her head with his forehead.

“So bad guys kidnapped Mama too, and take him far, far away?”

 

Chanyeol was taken aback, Yura the other hand paled. Taeyeon too, died down.

 

“He… Mama wasn’t kidnapped, “

 

He was killed

 

“He went for a long, long journey and met angels and many other good people. I told you mamy times Baekhee-ah.” He explains softly, pulling her falling hair back to her ears. Yura bit her lips and look down. Her eyes were red and glassy.

The girl perks her lips and leans on her father’s board chest. "I missed him." She pouts then looks up at Chanyeol again. “can we go visit mama? He loved phalaenopsis, I want to show him the ones we planted in the green house.” She ended softly.

Chanyeol chuckles “Of course we can. Aunty Yura will...”

“No!” she cuts him off. “Papa never visits mama with me. Let go together.” She cried.

“Baekhee-ah…”  Chanyeol frowns. Indeed, he never visits Baekhyun’s grave after his funeral ends. It’s too painful to visit.

“Baekhee,” Yura called with a soft voice. “Your father is busy, I’ll take you. Alright?”

Baekhee frowns and pouts. “No!” she tugs Chanyeol’s sleeves “Papa, why don’t you visit mama? You said you loved him. Let’s visit him.” Her words were like spears stabbing into Chanyeol’s heart.

“Baekhee.” Yura called again, her voice cold and stern.

This time the little girl got off her father’s lap, walking out the room with a sad face. It hurt Chanyeol’s heart to disappoint his baby but it hurts more to visit Baekhyun’s grave. Not when he hadn’t finish his own will. He sighs heavily when the heavy door closes behind. “God, she’s just like him, so stubborn.”

“Well she is your daughter, a replica of you and Baekhyun.” She laughs “But I think she’s more like you. As the elder says, daughters always have a piece of their father.”

Chanyeol scoff and shook his head. “I don’t recall father in you though.” He mocked.

A clatter and loud crashing sound made their heart drop, shrieks followed later. Chanyeol run out the living room and found Baekhee collapse on the staircase. The maids rush over to help their miss.

“Baekhee!” Chanyeol picked her up. He checked every part of her and ever single detail to see if there’re any visible cracks or so. Yura stood beside him, worried and concern. Baekhee’s eyes were half lid and her orbs were slowly losing its colour. Chanyeol brushes her dark brown hair from her neck.

 

 

 

7%

 

 

 

A visible red numbering appears on her pale neck. Chanyeol let out a long breath which he didn’t know he was holding. “Damn these batteries.” He cursed. “I thought she works on solar.”

Yura put a hand on her chest and inhale deeply. “ She was. Are you an idiot or what? We have been boarding for almost 20 hours. Where can you find Mr. Sun when you’re in a plane?” she scolds.

“Didn’t you charge her before you board?” Chanyeol snaps back, picking Baekhee in his arms.

“Well I did.” She followed her brother up the staircase. “You can’t blame me if she wanted to watch all cartoons provided. I can’t just switch her to standby mode in the middle of what she’s doing.” She flung her arm.

Chanyeol stops in front of Baekhee’s room and look at his sister, knitting his brows “You did spoil her.” He opens the door and walks in gently placing Baekhee in her bed.

Yura scowls at him, putting her weight beside a sofa next to Baekhee’s bed. Chanyeol plug wires in both her arms and legs. Yura helped him by switching on the socket which is a few inch away from her. A faint twinkling was heard and the numbering on her neck blinks a few times before Baekhee glows red as if she’s having a fever. Chanyeol sat beside Baekhee and brush the hair blocking her face. Her skin was cool on Chanyeol’s.

“This is the last time you’re bringing her out.” He told, not looking at his sister.

Yura stir in her sit. “So you’re going?” she noticed Chanyeol made a faint twitch. “Consider it Chanyeol. You have to visit at least once.”

“No. Not now noona.” He whispers. His words were cold and flat.

“Why? I thought you moved on, ended with grief.” She snaps. “Or going to tell me Baekhyun’s lost wasn’t an accident, but a planned accident.

“Shut up.” Chanyeol shot her a killing glare. Yura was going to protease, but shut them back.

“Fine.” She stood up and walks out the room. “But at least go visit your grandfather.” she said before slamming the door behind.

 

Chanyeol sighs as he his baby girl’s hair. Baekhee, Baekhyun’s greatest and last creation specially for him, –his 17th birthday present. He remembered clearly the night his relatives and friends celebrate his birthday, but he couldn’t enjoy it as there’s no certain petite beside him and smiling beautifully for him. The party ended past midnight. He was about to get himself drunk to sleep when the maid told him there’s someone ager to see him, saying it’s really urgent. He was pissed. But the moment she added there’s something about Master Baekhyun, he had the late night guest in.

That night was the night he first laid his eyes on Baekhee.

"Are you my father?" The child tugs on Chanyeol's sleeve, looking up at the tall man in full expetation. She was carrying a pink rabbit, hugging them dearly as if her life depands on it.

"Is this some kind of a joke professor." Chanyeol snaps at the man across him who was enjoying his cup of tea.

The man looked up from his cup. "I'm afriad I'm not." he puts the cup on the table and retrive a letter from his coat pocket, sliding it towards Chanyeol. "It's from mister Byun, signed to you." he adds in whisper.

Chanyeol frowns. He turns at the child pulling his sleeve, staring at him with intimading eyes. "I don't understand."

"Neither do I."  he smiles "Baekhee, do you mind show this gentleman who you are?" his voice is soft and gentle, pampering the girl.

"Baekhee?"

The said girls nods. She stoods in the middle of the living room and closes her eyes.

Chanyeol gapes at her. She's glowing. Blue neon lines flow across her small figure, marking at the joints, curve around the edge.

"It's the best technology yet." the professer said. "She a doll with her own mind Chanyeol-shii. She's built human. Sir Baekhyun's best asset to you." Baekhee stop glowing. She squat down and hugs her puppet on the floor, embarrassed.

 Chanyeol tear the letter open, eger to read the content. He lips left open when he finish. "What in the world." The professor said nothing, hanging his head low drinking his cup quietly. Slowly, he turns to Baekhee who's still embarressed at the stunt she just pulled. Walking towards her is not an easy tasks to brokehearted Chanyeol. He had surpress his trembling tears and stingging red eyes.

"Hey." he called

Baekhee look up at the man.

"What's your name?"

The girl fidgetly pull her face from her pet. Chanyeol whinchs. She looks just like Baekhyun. Droopy eyes, button nose, pink rosy lips and milky skin.

"Park Baekhee." she replys raising her toy towards Chanyeol "and she's my friend. Mama made it for me."

Chanyeol blinks. He smiles and offer her a hand. "I'm Park Chanyeol. Do you want to stay with me?"

Baekhee smile in exciment, but her smile soon fades. "Are you my father?" she asks again.

Chanyeol nods and pats her head. "I am."

"Papa!" Baekhee squel and hugs her father for the first time.

 

Tao sat beside Baekhyun’s sick bed while Kyungsoo and Jongdae stood beside him. An IV-line attached between Baekhyun’s arm as droplets flow in him. He looked soundly in his sleep.

“When is he going to wake up?” Jongdae asks and Kyungsoo slapped his head.

“Think before you speak idiot. If we know when he’s going to wake up it won’t be so depressing now.” He snaps.

Baekhyun had been unconscious for the whole day. The ambulance came after 15 minutes when Tao was about to break their necks for taking so long. The principal went with the ambulance while the trio stayed at school. Before they take off, he made sure the trio was in their respective classes and will receive punishments if they dare to ditch.

The doctor said Baekhyun is in pain due to his major accident years back that leads him to respiratory failure and causes panic disorder. They say it’s quiet common to suffer aftereffects but not very much will cause faint. It’s rare but still there’re risks. He might encounter blackout or short term memory lost if he overdoses exercising or consume more carbon monoxide. There’s more on Baekhyun’s difficulties but these were what Mr. Jung told them before he left.  In sort, Baekhyun is very weak and need medical attention from time to time and pretty much recommended to stay indoor as much as possible.

The trio jumps when Baekhyun stirs and start kicking out. Kyungsoo and Tao tried hard to calm his nerve while Jongdae ran out to the doctors. Baekhyun was whimpering and sobbing, as if he’s suffering in both pain and a bad dream. He screams coherent words and was crying in his sleep. He kept calling out names. A doctor came moments later and injects drug in Baekhyun which the trio think it’s anesthetic. When Baekhyun finally calms down, the doctor told them to leave to ensure the patient rest well. Tao protease to stay but since he wasn’t a family or a guardian, he have to.

 

 

Beep… Beep… Beep Beep…

 

“Umm… did I do something wrong?” The scientist frowns as he checks on the device again. He was wearing a white lab coat and was surrounded by wires and chemical liquids flowing to his baby on the table.

 

Beep Beep… Beep Beep…

 

Clicking his tongue, he bit his nails again. “I thought I was right this time.” He cruses at himself.

 

 

When he opens his eyes, he sees light above him. Blinking a few time, he raise his arm. It was attached with lots of wires. and release them a few time as he blinks again before he lift himself up, facing the back of the little scientist.

 

The scientist yelps as fell on the ground, scrabble to his feet. His notes and scribbled papers he was holding flew off his hands and rained down with him on the floor. He stare at his experiment and his experiment is staring right back at him.

“Oh my god” he choke out. “Ohmygod ohmygodohmygoddddd!!!!” he clamps his mouth with his hand. “It worked… I did it. Oh ing god I actually did it.” He cried.

The doll stares at the overjoyed scientist. No emotions in him.

The scientist walks to the experiment slowly. He reaches his arm to touch his doll but pulls back for a second thought. He closes his eyes and inhale deeply, reaching once more, his delicate hands lands cautiously on his experiment’s head.

His head was small and his hair is soft and silky.

 A tear roll down from the corner of his eyes as he opens them slowly, lips trembling. He rubs the experiments head slowly. The more he touches his experiment, more tear drench his pale face. “Chanhyun” he sobs out. “Oh god, Chanhyun!” he hugs the doll as he cried like a baby, calling his name over and over again. “My baby… Chanhyun.” He kissed the experiment’s forehead.

The doll stare at the corner of the lab as the scientist had him in his arms. His eyes flickers as something inside him clicks. Blue numbering and diagrams float in his eyes in a speed of light. The doll holds the scientist’s arm. The scientist gaps and looks at his doll. For the first time, his baby, Chanhyun responds to him.

Griping on the scientist’s sleeve, the doll met the scientist’s eyes and opens his mouth. The scientist’s eyes widen in surprise as a word roll out of his little mouth.

 

“Mo…ther?”

 


 

Baekhyun sees darkness behind his eye lids. He wonders if he’s been crying as he cheeks felt damp and dry with fresh and old tears. The knowing smell and sound around him lets the memories he buried down resurface washing him with ugly red and pain. He felt numb and the rasping felling down his throat made him squint. He hears voices but whoever it is it’s certainly not Tao, Kyungsoo or Chen. He battled with himself for some time to force his ton heavy lids to open.

“Just about time.” Is what Baekhyun hears when his eyes flutter open. “Right on schedule.”

Baekhyun see black as he expected. He caught a glint from the curtain, telling him it’s the middle of the night, maybe midnight as he sense no vehicle outside the building.

“Um…, good evening?” the voice rang again. Baekhyun is sure the voice is soft but it felt booming in his head. He whimpers to respond. His head fall back as he fumbles with the blanket. There was a silent until a deep sigh and footsteps towards his sick bed. “I almost forgot, side effects.” Then Baekhyun hears water being poured into a glass. “Here.” A cup of water in front of him as he open his eyes again then a smirking Yougguk looking down at him.

 “What are you doing here?” Baekhyun choke in his voice, struggling in his sick bed to lift himself up. Before he could react, a hand caught his chin and came water being poured harshly into his mouth. Baekhyun cried a choke.

The figure put the empty cup back on the stand. “Your voice .” Baekhyun knew right away who this mean guy is. He wasn’t sure what he had done wrong to this person but this guys hates him to the guts –Himchan. “We are sick waiting in your sleep while you cry like a being .”

Rage grows inside Baekhyun. He bit his tongue until he taste iron. “So what do you want?”

Himchan gave him a bored look while Yongguk raise a brow, smirking. “A present, I guess.”

Baekhyun frowns as he turns aside. There’s a big bag not far from him sick bed. Baekhyun throw them a suspicious glance. “What’s that?”

“Certainly not bomb.” Yongguk lean on the sofa, making himself comfortable. Himchan clicks his tongue of annoyance, can’t even bear being question by the smaller. “Stop being a y and open the ing bag.”

 Baekhyun really want to snap at him, jump on him and claw his face out like a lunatic if it’s wasn’t for his disable. What an impatient jerk is he. Using his limited strength, he winch when he drag the bag closer to him. The bag is heavy, if fact it weigh a ton to Baekhyun. Setting the last glance,   he slowly pulls the zipper.

Yongguk liked the expression on Baekhyun’s face. He boomed the room with his egoist laughter with a Himchan making an obvious face. I mean, who wouldn’t be shock to see a boy being stuff inside a bag.

“What the !” Baekhyun snaps. Pain hit his nerve but those were negilated knowing these men sent him a body as a gift. Baekhyun fumble with the bag and drag the body to his bed. If there’s a weapon an arm near him, he’d murder these men faster than a speed of light. He swear he’d do that. How could they put his baby in a freaking bag! He holds his breath to stop his cry. Not in a million years he cry in front of them. He rather cry like a psycho in front of random people than these….. jerks!

 “Aww, you’re welcome.” Yongguk cooed. “Though it’s earlier than our promise, Jongup and the rest think better give you two a special mother and son reunion.”Although Baekhyun wasn’t looking at them, he swear he saw a twitch of muscle from Himchan, but shrug it off.

“Chanhyun.” Baekhyun called, reaching for the humanoid. He roam his hand on the boy, searching for scratches or injuries, luckily there’s none. “Oh my god, Chanhyun.” He shook the cold body.

Chanhyun’s eyes flick open. Baekhyun gaps a little. Little Chanhyun blinks his eyes before lifting up from the bed. Baekhyun followed his movement. His baby is the forever beautiful, unique perfect in his eyes, pale skin, round eyes, button nose like his and black locks like… He never want to admit while he’s creating Chanhyun, he was thinking of and missing a certain someone whom his place can never been replace by anyone, no matter how great anyone be.

By then, Baekhyun is thinking, if his certain someone is doing well, could he wake up by the time the alarm rang? Did he eat well? Did he pick the right clothing to start his day? Or remember the way to tie his necktie… …

His petty thoughts was alongside forgotten when Chanhyun tugs his sleeves and tile his head aside. Baekhyun shook his head and ruffle the boy’s hair messy. “I’m fine.” He cares Chanhyun cheeks carefully.

“What a ruckus.” Interrupted Himchan and spoiled the touching mother-and-son reunion.

Jongguk throw him a glare and look at Baekhyun. Baekhyun knows, this tough guy had a soft spot on children, the same he had soft spot on Zelo, the youngest in his gang. Then a glint of thoughts wondered have the others been well.

The man of the gang stood up “He’s all yours. It’s miserable to see he’s been staring at your picture on the members’ phone. The other felt oddly guilty, especially Jongup.” Yongguk called the mention name in a specific tone and again Baekhyun notice a twitch on Himchan. Then it clicks him.

So this is the reason Himchan was an to him. The jerk liked Jongup. Too bad the boy is innocent and is always in his quiet world aside than his job as a mechanic and loved the beautiful figures on Baekhyun and last and finally, interested in unique and perfection on his son –Chanhyun. I got you now, jackass.

 

Baekhyun bits them goodbye as Himchan leaves the room first with a feverish face. He noticed Yongguk sadden face and knew he’s fond to his child. So, he whispers on his baby’s ear. Chanhyun glance at him mother before waving his hand to Yongguk and bit him goodbye. Baekhyun liked the man’s expression. Obviously he wanted to squeal, and the way he’s trying to hold his unmanly side is funny. Of course he wouldn’t just let Himchan go just like that. Baekhyun can be a if he wanted to, but rarely. He yelled ‘Good luck with Jongup’ and smiles when he hears crash outside his room. Yongguk rolls his eyes and slide the door close, the room his back to darkness, only a little moonlight shining through the curtains to his sickroom.

Baekhyun kissed Chanhyun forehand before wrapping themselves in warm blanket. He tugs his son to bed and lay beside him. It’s been a long time since he had the boy around him and missed his boy dearly. Before falling asleep, he starts a chat with his child, asking him if he’s doing well, how they have treated him, what did he do when he’s with Yongguk and much more random question. As how he expected, he couldn’t get much information from the boy, most of the time Baekhyun’s the one doing the talk. He can blame no one than himself for designing Chanhyun as a boy with little words.

Baekhyun didn’t know how much time has passed as he continues talking with not much response from Chanhyun. It was painful at times but he gets used to it soon enough. He made sure he kisses Chanhyun good night like normal mother’s do before drifting to his sleep with a peaceful smile on his face while hugging the doll.