Chapter 3

Forbidden essence of the Heart

Chapter 3

My head shot up and I stared forward. I wondered if there were pills he had forgotten to take or took too much of. I was shocked that he asked me to help him.

“Help you?” I questioned, avoiding eye contact as I washed the pot and gave it to him to dry.

“Mm, make me look different to look better. Please? Because I’m tired of all this.” He pleaded. I sighed and looked up to meet his serious expression.

“Why can’t you do it yourself?” I pointed out, avoiding helping him in the appearance department

“Because, I don’t know where to start. And quite frankly, you’re the one with the problem with me so shouldn’t the result be to your liking?” He reasoned as he dried the pot.

“No.” I sternly responded as I walked away to wipe down the placemats.

“Please?” He pleaded again as he trailed behind me.  

“What part of no do you not understand?” I questioned annoyed. He sighed and rested his arms on a chair.  

“Can’t you see that I’m doing this for you?” He murmured. Whether or not I was meant to hear that statement, I heard it and his words left me to slowly turn and look at him.

“Please?! Why are you refusing? Why can’t you help me? What is the harm?” He eagerly bombarded me with questions. Having enough I scram over him:

“Because I’m afraid!” I confessed.

“Afraid of what?”  

A year ago . . .

My palms were sweaty and my heart was pounding loudly, as I rode my bike to my new school.  Just the thought of being the new girl made me nervous.   

It was my first day at the school I was attending, so over and over in my head I kept telling myself to keep calm and make a good impression.  

I must have been caught up in my emotions to the point where I turned a corner and had no idea of the approaching truck.

Its horn gained my attention and I cursed under my breath as I immediately swerved.  Little did I know that I would go down a steep hill.

My bike was going too fast for me to stop it and my heart raced in panic as I came approaching the river.   

My bike entered the water and I fell to the side which left me wedged between the river floor and my heavy bike. I immediately shoved it off me and tried my best to stand up to take a breath.

I coughed out the water and wiped my eyes before realizing the red tinted water surrounding me.

My eyes scram alert; I didn’t know what to do.  

“Hey are you okay?” I heard a voice call out. I looked over to see a school boy who tried his best to walk over to me.

“Uh… I don’t know? Be careful you’ll slip.” I advised as he approached.

“Already done that.” He smiled, as he gestured to his wet hair that attractively hung over his forehead.  It was like a scene from the movies - my handsome knight in shiny armor. I agree that was cheesy, but he was the most attractive boy I had ever seen in my life. He was tall, had handsome features and from what happened; I judged that he had a good personality.  

He stood in front of me and examined my situation. I shyly hung my head low as my heart beat loudly in my chest, suddenly becoming like a little school girl in front of her crush.   

All of a sudden I was swooped off of my feet and found myself in the arms of the boy who carried me bridal style.

“Yah what are you doing?” I questioned, panicking.

“I’m rescuing you. Unless you want to stay here and be shark bait.” He teased in a friendly manner. My eyes widened but I relaxed my face and amusingly scoffed. 

“There are no sharks in here. It’s a river.” I pointed out. I caught him glance down at me with a warm smile.

“Ever heard of the term river sharks?” He rhetorically asked. I gasped and unconsciously wrapped my arms tighter around his neck, alarmed at the fact that there may as well be a river shark coming our way because it had been attracted to my bleeding leg.  

He chuckled and he gently laid me down on the grass once we exited the river. My eyes caught on the gold crest on his shirt’s pocket.

“Oh, I’m going to the same school!” I pointed out as I gestured to his logo. He looked down at his shirt and flashed a smile.   

“That’s great! Here, dry yourself off.” He advised, rummaging through his backpack and giving me a tea towel. I politely took it off him; our finger’s lightly touching, my heart beating nervously as electricity shot through my body.  

My feelings grew even more when he started to pour over fresh water from his bottle over my wound and placed a band-aid patch on it.    

“There.” He expressed with what seemed like a relieved smile.   

“Oh. Do you have a spare change of your uniform?” He asked worriedly.

“At home.” I replied slowly. He bit his bottom lip.

“Why do you ask?” I asked curiously. I caught the fact that he gulped while he glanced at me with a blush.

“It’s just that I’m worried you would smell from being in the river.” He admitted shyly. I stared at him in a daze. He’s worried about me? That’s so cute, I’m so touched!

“That’s okay; my house isn’t far from here anyway.” I assured and stood up. After checking the time on his phone he advised me to hurry and we headed off in our separate ways.  

He didn’t know my name so can you guess what he called me? Smelly.

After doing what I had to, I arrived at school and like any other new student would, I was introduced to the class. My heart immediately started to beat faster when I saw the boy from before.

He looked different though; his hair was gelled up smartly and he wore glasses.  

Normally I would think that that look was unattractive but he still managed to look kind of cute. I was advised to sit at the seat at the back that was unoccupied. Which was behind the boy.

The pair of girls who sat at the desk pair next to mine smiled at me. I suddenly thought I was stupid for worrying so much beforehand.  

Through group work activities, I found out that the two girls were called Hyorin and Bora. I bonded well with them and I began to think that I’d enjoy myself at this school.

It was lunch break so we pack up our things and Hyorin and Bora linked arms with me. They started to lead the way with me in between them, and we stopped in front of the boy.   

“Hey nerd boy.” Bora teased as she nudged his shoulder. I narrowed in my eyebrows confused.

“Oh? Why are you not answering? Can’t you speak?” She asked when she cupped his chin with one hand and shoved it to the side. Besides me Hyorin was laughing at the scene until she nudged me, gesturing with her eyes to join in their bullying.

I was going to refuse but I wanted to be their friend also I wanted to fit in so, although it hurt, I joined in.  

From that day foreword I hid my feelings for him inside. I guess what made the bullying worse was when I found out he was my soon-to-be brother.  I was angry at the fact that I had hurt him and as if it was a consequence, to live as his sister. What about my feelings for him? I thought.

Knowing that we could never be, made me hurt and angry so I took my emotions out on him in a way that I shouldn’t. From that point picking on him just became a habit; it became a ‘thing’. My feelings? They were just simple memories that I boxed away shamefully.

Present day. . .   

“Please?! Why are you refusing? Why can’t you help me? What is the harm?” He eagerly bombarded me with questions. Having enough I scram over him:

“Because I’m afraid!” I confessed.

“Afraid of what?”  

Afraid to fall in love again with the perfect boy I had loved before. Just by seeing his face again it will bring back that memory that will only just bring out my feelings again, and when that happens, I won’t be able to cope with having an unhealthy one-sided love that isn’t meant to be. 

Why is it unhealthy you ask? Because our parents are married which means we are siblings.   

He gave me a look that he was awaiting my answer.  I cleared my throat as I gathered up the placemats.

“Afraid that you’ll think you’re better than me and think that you have a right to steal my power.” I harshly blurted out. I mentally slapped myself for saying something so stupid.  

“I’m not like that and you know that. Look, I know you hate me but can you just help me out here?” He asked as he followed me back into the kitchen.

That’s right I’m supposed to hate him. In saying that, since I hate him I shouldn’t be hesitant to make him over, I shouldn’t be worried that my past feelings would come back to haunt me.

I whipped around and stared strongly up at him.

“Fine. Have it your way.” I sternly agreed as I slammed the cupboards. 

“Just so you know I won’t lay a hand on you. You’re doing it yourself. Firstly, loose that gel and avoid any hairstyle with a parting especially a middle part. Cut your hair, but not too short. Those glasses? You don’t need them do you? Loose the habit, you can learn to live without them. By the way, loose that awful grandpa cologne, it makes me sick. Your style . . . it’s actually okay but loose those turtle necks and sleeveless sweaters with that awful diamond pattern – you look like that wired metal fence at the park and a cabbage patch.” I instructed critically as I paced up and down.

I turned to face him again and he was just leaning against the counter staring at me blankly.

“You’re welcome. Oh and just for that, you’re cleaning the sink and wiping down the bench.” I advised before I stormed off into my room.

***

I wish I went to bed earlier last night. I dread the fact that I have to leave my comfy bed. Mind you, it wasn’t my fault I went to bed late. I kept tossing and turning as my mind was completely thinking about my step-peasant.  

I rolled unwillingly out of bed and staggered towards the bathroom. I opened the door only to have a towel chucked at my face.

“YAH can’t you to learn to knock? I’m half here!” Myungsoo yelled. My eyes widened under the towel at the thought that I would’ve seen him *gulp* half .  

“You learn to lock!” I answered back as I swiftly retreated. I closed the door behind me and leaned against the wood. I puffed in relief and took of the towel seeing my parents stand before me with amused smiles on their faces. 

“Nice to see you two getting along.” Umma commented. I sarcastically smiled and used my parent’s bathroom.

I came out and smelt breakfast on the table so I hurried over and plopped down next to Umma. I looked across the table and chocked on my food when I saw a very handsome brother sitting across from me. 

 

Oh la la things are getting serious! This is where the actual story begins, so keep reading :)