May I Have This Dance

Chasing Silence

"Was I in love with you?"

Baekhyun stared at her eyes. He watched them flicker between the two of his. He saw desperation reflected in the pools of brown. She wanted an answer he couldn't give her. He couldn't even open his mouth and say it. He couldn't even make an excuse.

'Was I in love with you'. Those words were like arrows in his back. Like light that shined on the black hidden heart within, only to go out with a huff of breath. They weren't words he wanted to hear. The first word made him cringe. Why could she not ask if she was in love with him now?

"I'm sorry," Miyoung took a deep breath, letting the tears that threatened to break slowly recede back inside, "sometimes it's just hard."

Baekhyun shook his head and cupped her face in his hand. He understood.

"It's just that everytime I see you I think 'who is this person'," she shook her head, "but how am I supposed to know?"

He wished he could tell her. But the words wouldn't come. There was no way for him to explain himself, and writing it on his notepad didn't seem right. 

The music from the party turned to a soft piano solo. Baekhyun's ears pirked up at the familiar tune, and he glanced towards the open glass doors. A smile spread on his face. He couldn't do much, but he could do this. Standing quietly, he reached a hand out to Miyoung.

"What is it?" She asked.

Baekhyun moved his lips very carefully. No noise escaped, but Miyoung understood the shapes they formed.

"May I have this dance?"

Miyoung quickly brushed a tear from her eye and took his hand, returning the smile "Of course."

He helped her up and pulled her close. A shy hand settled across the small of her back.

Baekhyun took the first step. Once to the left, again, again, until the square-like shape of the waltz was beginning to form. It was something between classical and comical, with baekhyun's awkward movements and Miyoung tripping in her high heels.  They laughed at each other when their eyes met. The glowing white lights in the trees felt like distant star that surrounded them on all corners. The two who were alone in their little world.

"This is a nice song," Miyoung said, her eyes unwaveringly centered on his just inches away.

Baekhyun nodded, surely one of his favorites. He opened his mouth to explain, but the sound didn't come out. To cover it up, he spun Miyoung underneath him and caught her again. It felt like a scene from a movie.

"What is it?" Miyoung asked, not letting him get away with the measly attempt to hide his emotions again.

He smiled and mouthed the words carefully, "I can play piano."

Miyoung smiled back, because he never told her these things. How much did she know about him, really? All she knew was that he couldn't talk. He was hurting, and he couldn't talk. There was nothing else she knew about the boy in front of her. And yet watching the lights reflected in his eyes, more than anything, she wanted to know. 

"I'd love to hear you play," she said, "would you play for me some time?"

Baekhyun nodded. 

A wave of comfort fell over Miyoung in the peaceful moment. Her heart didn't race, her breathing didn't stop. The world felt slow and calm and comfortable. It was a new feeling to be this at peace. She closed the small distance between the two and rested her head against his chest. Baekhyun's eyes widened and his breath caught in his throat at the simple gesture.

"Play this for me," Miyoung whispered into the crook of his neck, "this might be my favorite song."

Baekhyun laughed lightly. Stupid girl, you don't even know what it's called. But he smiled and continued to sway to the slow love song, resting his chin on her head. It felt so good to not be alone.

The two moved slowly to the music, feeling each other's warmth for the first time since that night at the hospital. Miyoung drank in the scent of his skin, the shampoo and mint smell that had tingled her nose a thousand times. Even back in the sterile tang of the hospital she sensed it. It felt like the smell of her mother, something comforting and intimate. 

Let's dance.

Miyoung's heart stopped cold. Not the voices. Not again.

What? You're a horrible dancer!

Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows with worry at Miyoung's sudden groan, but she didn't back away. Pain tingled Baekhyun's skin as he felt her nails begin to clutch harder at his hand, pressing between his knuckes.

I happen to be a wonderful dancer, said the male voice in Miyoung's head.

Miyoung pulled away from Baekhyun and clutched her forehead. He reached a hand fto her, unable to ask what was happening, only making strange guttural sounds like that of a true mute person.

Let's see it then, she laughed back.

Miyoung gasped in pain and dropped to her knees. Baekhyun had disappeared to get help, leaving her alone with the voices.

The same song that had just finished played in her ears. She could almost feel someone stepping on her toes.

Hey! Watch where you're stepping! she grumbled in a far off memory.

Sorry sorry, the male voice laughed, I'll practice from here on out. Let's dance together then.

Baekhyun returned with Baekbeom and a few other men, the small fairy Hyunjoo trailed behind them, holding decorated nails to her lips with worry. 

"Are you alright?" Baekbeom dropped to her side and wrapped his strong arm around her shoulder.

She shook her head and released a small moan. 

"Baekhyun get the car," Baekbeom ordered. Baekhyun nodded and sprinted to the garage. His heart beat wildly. What was it that pained her so much? His trembling hands fumbled with the keys and finally he in a deep breath to calm down and slid the key into the lock. He hopped inside and started the car, quickly steering it to the front of the house where he stopped with a screech of the tires.

Baekbeom appeared with the girl in his arms, and set her carefully in the back of the car.

Baekhyun looked over his shoulder worriedly.

"She's unconcious," Baekbeom explained, getting into the passenger seat, "go to the hospital."

Miyoung began to dream.

divider.png

Miyoung glanced down at her phone. The light blinked to signal she had a call. She slid the unlock button across the screen and held it to her cheek.

"Hello?"

"It's me."

"Oppa!" she barked scoldingly, "where are you?"

"You were late first!" he countered.

"I'm here now, come get me."

"I'm on my way."

"Oppa," Miyoung said, leaning against the brick building. City lights flashed and people passed by.

"Hm?"

"Play piano for me when we get home."

"Why all of a sudden?"

"I dunno," Miyoung shuffled her feet, kicking around a leaf, "I just felt like listening."

She heard a laugh on the other end, "Okay. I will."

divider.png

Baekhyun crept towards the door. Slowly he wrapped his fingers around the cool handle and pulled it open.

Miho's eyes blinked open, then widened, "Silent guy!" she shrieked and sat up in bed.

Upon hearing her scream the other children rose as well, expressions of delight spread across their faces one by one.

"Baekhyun-oppa!" Yunji beamed from beside the bedside of a little boy with a bandage on his head. 

After hearing Miyoung would be fine, and all she needed was rest, he decided to drop in on his little companions.

Miho crawled out of her blankets and hopped of her bed, her little bare feet tapped the ground as she ran to him and engulfed him in a hug. Finally able to after weaks of healing, Baekhyun scooped her up into his arms and let her loop her arms around his neck. Miho sat back and balanced herself with her hands on his shoulders, "did you miss me?"

He nodded.

"I knew you'd come back!" Yunji squealed, hurrying over to hug his lower half, then looking up at him, "but why did you come so late?"

Carefully Baekhyun bent over and set the smaller girl onto the ground beside Yunji, then he pulled his notepad out.

Miyoung got sick.

"Miyoung Unnie is here too?" Yunji looked around, "where is she?"

She'll come later. She's resting.

"Fine," she groaned.

"What's all this commotion abou--Baekhyun!" Bora appeared from her office at the far end of the room, her hair was tied in a messy bun, and she wore thick glasses. The bags beneath her eyes formed from many sleepless nights were beginning to darken.

"Don't leave me out," Baekhyun turned around at the new voice. Baekbeom slipped through the door. After signing in as Miyoung's guardian, he too had come to visit. "So this is where my brother spent his days way back when."

"Baekbeom-ah!" Bora shouted with wide eyes. While Baekbeom looked around she quickly yanked her hair out of the bun and shoved her glasses into her pocket. 

"Oh, Bora-yah, you work here?" Baekbeom smiled. 

Bora shot Baekhyun a look that said: why didn't you tell me he was here?? Baekhyun shrugged.

"For four years now," she answered, "what have you been doing?"

"A bit of this and a bit of that," Baekbeom stationed himself on the wall, "How's pediatrician-ing?"

"It's good work," Bora said, "I'm sure you would have loved it. I still can't understand why you dropped out of medical school."

"It was bound to happen eventually," Baekbeom sighed, "I have to run the company after the big man kicks the bucket."

"Don't talk that way," Bora scolded.

"You're as pretty as ever," Baekbeom said, letting his eyes fall on her. 

Bora nervously ran a hand through her hair, "I would say the same to you."

Baekhyun looked between the two of them and started to laugh. It had been a while since the two of them broke up, but he could still see there was something there. When Baekhyun was in 9th grade his brother had started attending medical school, it had always been his dream. That boy never stopped talking about becoming a doctor. Love blossomed when he met Bora at school, and they quickly started a relationship that only grew more and more serious. Then suddenly Baekbeom lost interest. In school, in people, in everything. All because Mr. Byun had told him that it was time to end his dream. He would live his life the way his father told him too. 

Baekhyun took Yunji's hand and held up his notepad.

Let's go, the adults are talking.

Yunji nodded, noticing the situation too. She gathered the other children quickly and they all left to go to the hospital's small play area. 

"How are you?" Bora asked.

"I've been better," Baekbeom retorted. Bora walked over until she stood directly in front of him. Baekbeom didn't flinch when her fingers touched the skin on his arm, he averted his eyes as Bora slowly pulled up his long sleeve, revealing the careful row of scars beneath.

"I can never understand you," Bora shook her hand with a laugh, "why did you do such a thing?"

"Sometimes there's no way out," Baekbeom answered, then looked at her, "I'm sorry."

"For what?" Bora raised her eyes from the cuts and up to his.

"For everything," He said, "For this," he moved his wrist.

"I'm more sorry."

"What do you have to be sorry for?" Baekbeom laughed.

"Nothing," Bora answered, "it wasn't something I did. I'm sorry anyway. I'm sorry about your whole life, and your dreams, and who you wanted to be. I'm sorry you didn't get what you wanted."

Baekbeom's eyes turned to ice, he didn't need her pity.

"Apologies don't fix things, Bora," he said coldly, "life doesn't go how we want it."

"But--" Bora reached out a hand but Baekbeom rolled away, into the doorway.

"Nice seeing you again," he waved a hand without turning around, and disappeared into the hallway. Bora peeked out after him, and watched him roll down his sleeve.

 

divider.png

Miyoung stirred in her bed, then opened her eyes wide and sat up. Surrounding her bed were the kids of the children's ward, and at the foot was Baekhyun. 

"Hello!" she exclaimed and adjusted her pillow to sit up and look at everyone, "did you come to see me?"

The children nodded.

"Don't worry about me, I'm fine."

"Are you practicing reading?" Yunji asked from her right side, holding her hand.

"Of course!" Miyoung barked, "everyday!"

"Good," Yunji smiled.

Someone tugged on Miyoung's sleeve and she turned. The small girl Miho looked up at her, "When are you and oppa getting married?"

"Married??" Miyoung shouted, her face turning red, "we're not getting married!"

"Then why is quiet-oppa wearing a suit?" Miho asked, her wide eyes filled with curiosity.

"We were at a party, silly girl," Miyoung said, roughling Miho's hair.

"Oh."

Miyoung glanced at the clock on the opposite wall and gasped, "it's so late! What are you all doing here?" She jumped out of bed and began hearding the children towards the door, "You have to go to sleep! What woud your parents say?"

"They won't care!" Yunji whined, "I'm allowed to stay up as late as I want!"

"Well I care," Miyoung scolded, pushing her out of the room at last.

"Stay together and don't get lost!" Miyoung called to them, "Go to sleep!" and then shut the door.

Miyoung turned around and startled when Baekhyun stepped out of a shadow in the corner.

"You scared me!" she shouted, "I thought you were a ghost or something!"

Baekhyun held up his sign.

Are you okay?

Miyoung softened, "I'm okay. It just happens sometimes."

Baekhyun motioned for her to get back into the bed. Miyoung shook her head, "Let's go sit over there," she walked passed Baekhyun and settled onto a window seat, "sometimes it's nice to look at the stars."

What stars? Thought Baekhyun as he followed her.

"There aren't any stars in the city, really," Miyoung answered as if reading his mind, she rested her temple against the cool glass, "but I'd like to think all the lights are stars too. They practically are. They're small, far away, and we know nothing about them. Where does the light come from? Who turned it on?"

Baekhyun nodded his head and looked outside too. Outside was a sea of glowing dots that varied in size and color. Some formed collosal buildings while others streamed by as cars. 

"Maybe one of those lights out there knows me," she said, "Maybe they see this light here and wonder if it's the one that belongs to me. Maybe they're searching."

Miyoung felt tears well up in her eyes, Why do you cry so much, Jin Miyoung? She scolded herself in her thoughts. She in a shakey breath and pushed back the tears.

"You know when I first came to the hospital, no one came."

Baekhyun nodded.

"How could no one come?" she asked, "was I that alone? Are my parents and friends all dead or something?"

Baekhyun nodded again. It was a time she needed someone to listen. He let himself blend into the room, become the wind. So that she could speak her mind with ease.

"Then you brought me flowers," she said tilting her head at him with a bittersweet smile, "I loved those, by the way. I still do."

Baekhyun's expression didn't change, but he nodded once more. He'd nod a thousand times if it would mean she would know he heard her, and that he was listening.

"I feel so lost sometimes. Because I feel like I'm not even here."

She sighed and traced the outline of a skyscraper of the window. The glass was foggy where her breath grazed it.

"If I don't have any connections, does that mean I exist? There's nothing solid keeping me here."

Miyoung sighed and leaned back to pull her legs up onto the window seat, then wrapped her arms around her knees.

"And you're just a statue for me to talk to," she laughed lightly, "like a crazy person talking to the wall."

Baekhyun touched her knees to let her know that he wasn't just a wall, or a statue. He was a person. He was listening.

"It must be hard dealing with me," Miyoung laughed, brightening a little, "I'm always up and down. One minute I'm laughing and the next I'm crying!" she threw her hands in the air then dropped them, "Trust me it's hard on me too."

Baekhyun shook his head. It wasn't hard. Not too hard, at least. He owed her at least this much. Calmly he reached forward and her head. She smiled at him and let him continue, she needed the comfort.

"When is someone ever going to come for me?"

Baekhyun smiled back, I already did.

divider.png

Miyoung's cheek felt cold on the side that was leaned against the window. The chilly winter cold seeped through the glass and covered her in a layer of cool air. Baekhyun was no where to be seen. She eased her legs off the side of the window seat that were tingling with numbness. It was a stupid idea to sleep with her knees up like that. She set her hand down on the seat and felt something hit her fingers. 

"Huh?" she turned around. 

Another potted plant, almost identical to the one from before, was sitting beside her. The petals were bunched up and peculiar, the kind of shape you get when you roll paper. The tips of the petals were white as snow, while the flower itself was the same blushing red as the one from before. Miyoung could tell from one glance it wasn't the same type of flower as the other one, but the color was exactly the same. Carefully Miyoung scooped it into her hands and set it in her lap. This one smelled sweet and sour at the same time. 

The door swung open and hit the wall with a bang, causing Miyoung to nearly drop the precious plant. She hugged it to her body and looked up to see who had come in.

"Miyoung!" 

The face was a stranger.

divider.png

OOOH DAT CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. From here on out there will be more and more twists and turns, please bare with me!

I've only made 9 chapters so far, and it feels like there's eons to go. I'm not sure how I'll continue like this, or what will happen in the future. I'm constantly making things up as I go along. It's never been an easy ride writing this, but my readers make it feel extremely worth while! I'll continue to write for you guys!

Because I'm sloppy and lazy sometimes I make mistakes and go back to fix and edit scenes. I tend to add more and more to previous chapters as I go along, even if it wasn't there originally. If you've been a reader for a while now, I suggest you go back and take a peek at previous chapters! The ones I've edited a lot are:

Wealth

Thus far that is all! 

Also I'm thinking it's time to rename my fic. Mindless Voiceless was always a temporary name that I never really liked much, I named it this because I wasn't sure what else to call it. Now that I have a much better idea, you can expect it to change soon, along with the cover art!

Speaking of which, if any of my beloved readers (that would be you) happen to have sick graphic design skills, I would be so glad if anyone was interested in making a poster for my story! Sadly I am not very skilled with graphic art, and don't have access to any good programs (I do mine off the internet). So if anyone is willing, I would be soo grateful! 

Thank you!

~Violet