Wealth

Chasing Silence

Byun Daeri didn't hold a single bag, but the three men behind her were loaded with packages and shopping bags. Miyoung's eyes scanned the labels; Gucci, Chanel, Couture, Coach. All unfamiliar foreign names, but just by the sleekness of the totes and the sheer of the letters, she knew they were not cheap.

"Mother," Baekbeom forced a smile on his face. Miyoung could see him cringe at the words, discomfort settled on his eyes and smiling cheeks.

"I'm home," the woman flicked her head and the men in suits burst inside, and disappeared into her bedroom to organize and put away the endless amount of bags.

"How much did you buy?" Baekbeom gawked, his eyes following the men who seemed to pour in from the outside.

"Oh this isn't all," the woman laughed, "there's more in the car."

She pat Baekbeom's arm once lightly, a mere flap of her hand, and trotted to the couch, easily settling down into the luxurious cushions that made Miyoung feel uncomfortable. 

"Mrs. Nam?" 

The stout old woman came hobbling out of the kitchen upon hearing her name.

"Where did those two go today?" Baekhyun's mother flicked her long clawlike nails at Baekhyun and Miyoung.

Mrs. Nam's eyes flickered at Baekhyun, Miyoung could see her begin to fidget. Miyoung smiled and nodded her head, Mrs. Byun was bound to find out anyway, not like she'd done anything wrong.

"Mrs. Jin took Master Byun to the hospital."

"You went to the hospital?" his mother turned and hugged the edge of the couch, her eyebrows arched in irritation, "Why didn't you tell me?"

Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows, he held up his notepad.

You wouldn't have gone.

The woman pouted her lips like a child, "You don't know that," she groaned and flipped back around, crossing her legs under her skirt. "Oh well. At least you went."

Baekhyun pressed his lips together. She didn't even ask how it went. 

"Oh," Mrs. Byun clapped her hands together and nodded, "Baekbeom, I'm having a party tonight."

Baekbeom who was casually leaning on the base of the stairwell jolted up, "What?"

"I think it's time you and Baekhyun found someone--" the woman looked Miyoung up and down, "suitable for your status."

Miyoung was ready to throw her purse at the woman's head, but for Baekhyun's sake she kept still.

"How many people did you invite?" 

"Oh don't worry, I didn't go overboard."

Baekbeom inwardly groaned, she was always overboard, "How many?"

"Fifty?" The woman said, inspecting her nails and scratching at a decal on her ring finger.

"Fifty?" Baekbeom scoffed, "Why did you decide this just now?"

Baekhyun ran an uneasy hand through his hair. Even before he wasn't able to talk he avoided large crowds of people who knew him. He couldn't appreciate the quiet agitation that floated around a room filled with stuck up aristocrats. Each person flashed a brilliant white smile and held high their noses that cost more than the clothes they wore. They smiled and talked about hobbies, bragged ever so inconspicuously about the glorious endeavors of their business. Yet no one was earnest in their compliments or their smiles. They were all quietly hating each other, picking out the flaws and weak points in silence, saving them for later when they can stab their knife right there in that designated spot, and send the other crashing down.

'Party' to Baekhyun meant competition.

"I didn't decide just now, I had been thinking about it for a while," Mrs. Byun retorted, putting on another layer of rosey red lipstick.

"When?" Baekbeom demanded.

"Tonight at seven, be ready!"

Without another word Baekbeom turned and stormed up the stairs. Miyoung watched his angry back and balled fists as he disappeared into one of the countless doors on the second floor.

"And you," Miyoung startled at the sudden bark of Baekhyun's mother, "You can't be here. I don't want anyone to know you're here. Disappear by seven tonight or I'll get rid of you myself."

Miyoung could do nothing but nod. It was true that Miyoung was living in this house only because of the small shred of kindness Baekhyun's mother had offered, and without her she'd be on the streets. Of course that didn't mean Miyoung liked her.

Miyoung turned at the sound of Baekhyun's pencil scrawling across the notepad.

Why are you having a party?

"Oh Hyunnie, you've always known me so well," his mother smiled, delighted at the question.

"Your father is coming home!" she announced with a small squeal of glee, "It was supposed to be a surprise but I couldn't help it, since you asked."

Baekhyun's heart dropped to his feet. His mother was problematic enough, but if his father saw Miyoung...He shook his head to clear the thought. Mr. Byun always payed more attention to Baekbeom, he would leave Baekhyun alone. Business matters were the older brother's responsibility. Baekhyun took a deep breath to calm himself, then he thought of another option.

Baekhyun wrapped his hand around Miyoung's and smiled brightly. He squeezed and almost jumped with pride. Then he released the girl's hand and took a step back. In the cheap unsophisticated clothes from Baekhyun's closet, she looked very normal. But through the  baggy clothes he could see a slim waist, and long lean legs. In his imagination he could see her with tall heels and a tight dress, her face was refined already. A smile formed on his lips, he liked that part especially. Miyoung's natural pale face with large eyes, a small nose, and pointed chin already created the look so many of Baekhyun's peers paid millions of won for. 

He nodded, Yes, this could work. 

divider.png

"Baekhyun?" Miyoung asked, her arms raised in the air.

He raised an eyebrow at her, holding his chin between two fingers thoughtfully.

"Baekhyun."

He shuffled his feet and nodded, giving her his full attention.

"Don't you think this is a bit...much?"

A tailor crawled around Miyoung's lower half like a needy cat. She tugged and trimmed the edge of blood red fabric on Miyoung.

Baekhyun shook his head lightly; obviously not.

"Baekhyun I could really just stay in my room during the party, you don't have too--"

Baekhyun shook his head firmly. He wanted her to go. Maybe parties wouldn't be so bad if she was there. Miyoung tended to brighten a room. 

"Okay, so I'll go. But is all this really necessary?"

Baekhyun nodded. He couldn't think of anything more necessary at the moment. Miyoung was pretty, but in order to impress anyone at the party she had to be bathing in riches, which it appeared she was not. Baekhyun tapped the tailor's shoulder carefully, and she flinched. She was used to the young master of the Byun household being cruel and overpowering. Today he simply smiled and motioned for her to go out, nodding his head as a thank you. 

"O-of course," the older woman mumbled, continuously glancing over her shoulder on the way out.

Miyoung stepped down from the short stand that made her feel like mannequin and nearly fell on top of herself in the ridiculously high heels. She tried to breathe out to lessen the pressure of the tight red fabric around her waist. 

Baekhyun held up the notepad.

You look beautiful.

With a huff Miyoung blew one of the strands of her loosely curled hair out of her face.

"Do I really?" she said sarcastically.

Baekhyun nodded enthusiastically.

"Well I hope so after all this effort," Miyoung leaned in to see her reflection in a mirror. It was true that she felt pretty, as any girl would dressed in an expensive dress tailored just for her, with priceless jewels dangling around her neck. Though she was sure it was just in her imagination, her hair still felt hot from the curling iron earlier. Her face still felt heavy from the amount of makeup on it. 

"Are you sure this is pretty?" Miyoung straightened and scratched her head, a piece of hair fell in her face again.

Of course, Baekhyun reached forward and gently slid the hair behind her ear. The sense of his fingertips across her cheek sent shivers down her spine. She shied away from his touch, smiling apologetically. He forced a smile back, though he felt like he must have overstepped his boundaries.

"A-ahem," Miyoung uneasily cleared and turned away, "When does it start? Seven she said?"

Baekhyun nodded, then pulled his arm forward out of his sleeve to look at his watch. The little golden hands read 6:45. He held up the watch to Miyoung who glanced at it and nodded.

"Not much time now."

"Hey lovebirds!" Baekbeom burst into the room dressed in a handsome suit, "Yah, punk, go get dressed," Baekbeom flicked his head out the door and Baekhyun. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and waved to Miyoung before disappearing. He knew he could trust his older brother with the girl.

"Lovebirds?" Miyoung asked, leaning against the glittery bathroom wall.

"Don't act like you don't know," Baekbeom winked. Miyoung huffed a laugh and shook her head.

"What are you talking about?"

Baekbeom straightened and walked to the door, only turning to look over his shoulder, "Don't be too harsh on him, he's just a kid."

Then he was gone.

Miyoung shook her head from the clogged up thoughts. Baekhyun didn't like her. How could he? He lived in this beautiful house, with a huge bedroom, and a luxurious car. He had beautiful almond eyes, and thin lips, and flawless skin. He had everything anyone could possibly want. So why would he want her? Miyoung shook her head again, confirming to herself Baekbeom was just being dramatic as always. 

She raised her head when she heard a knock at the door, the top of Baekhyun's head peeked around the edge.

"Hey," she smiled and trotted over, "is it starting?"

divider.png

Baekhyun led Miyoung through the maze of hallways on the upper floor of the house. Beneath her feet she could hear the muffled sound of live violins and voices intermingling like a collosal symphony. She swallowed hard, thinking about what lies she could make up to simple questions she couldn't answer. Earlier Baekhyun had tried to create a story for her, writing the details on his sketchbook, but now Miyoung's head spun. The words jumbled in her head and she couldn't remember.

She was Jin Miyoung, her father was a ceo of a company far away that no one knows. She was an only child. She attended Harvard in the states. Any other questions were uneccesary. Was that right? She held Baekhyun's arm tighter as they reached the peak of the stairs.

Baekhyun turned to Miyoung uneasily. His arm hurt from her digging her nails through the fabric of his suit but he didn't show it. He raised a comforting hand to pat hers and nodded assuringly. She would do just fine, she was smarter than she looked.

"Mr. Byun," an old man boomed from below with a belly the size of the moon. Baekhyun smiled gently and continued down the stairs towards the man. 

"Your date is lovely!" the old man guffawed at Miyoung, who could only bow her head politely. 

"I heard about your accident, boy," the man patted Baekhyun's shoulder, Miyoung wanted to laugh at his old style mustache that curled at the ends, "so unfortunate, it's too bad. I would have loved to talk to you!"

Baekhyun blinked. So they already knew. All of them. The old man looked confused when Baekhyun had no reaction, and glanced at Miyoung, "He didn't loose his hearing too?"

"No!" Miyoung barked, then quickly regained composure, "Ahem, no."

"Oh good," the man adjusted his coat and glanced Baekhyun up and down, "I'll be going then."

Miyoung heard him whisper, "Strange man," as he hobbled away. She was glad to be rid of him. 

The next to greet the pair was a tall blonde woman with the appearance of a model, she was draped in a purple dress the color of the sunset, that flowed like water. Miyoung shrunk beside that woman, feeling less than worthy of the man beside her.

"Bonjour monsieur! longtemps ne vois pas."

Miyoung pursed her lips at the foreign words that rolled off the foreign woman's tongue. Baekhyun smiled politely and nodded, then affectionately patted the woman on the arm. 

"Il est trop mauvais au sujet de votre voix!" The woman chittered away. Miyoung's ears perked up at the last word, it sounded like the English word 'voice'. She eyed the woman cynically, another someone bringing up Baekhyun's weak point.

Baekhyun nodded and then motioned for the woman to go. He wasn't much of an entertainer tonight. He lacked the communication skills. Literally.

"When is it over?" Miyoung whispered in his ear.

Baekhyun laughed and smiled at her, gently shaking his head.

"Damnit."

Baekhyun's mother approached along with another woman and her daughter. The woman beside his mother wore a classy white fur coat, and the daughter boasted a gigantic diamond necklace. Of course the one Miyoung was wearing wasn't lacking, but it was simple, not gaudy. 

"Baekhyun-ah!" his mother cooed, going back into mother-mode in the company of business associates, "Madame Han, this is my son."

"What a charming young man," the woman said, looking him up and down like a shiny new car. She looked like she wanted to make sure she was getting what she payed for, "this is my daughter, Han Hyun Joo."

The girl looked like a fairy mixed with a doll. Her eyes were round and big with long girlish eyelashes. Her chin pointed perfectly at the end and her skin was soft and white. All her features fit with that of the image of a fairytale princess. Even in the heels she wore the girl was still miniature. 

"You're beautiful," Miyoung blurted, astonished.

Hyunjoo's shimmering eyes widened in surprise, "Thank you!" she chirped, "I feel so touched," she smiled shyly, "hearing it come from a beautiful person like you."

"M-me?" Miyoung looked at Baekhyun who smiled, then back to the girl, "T-thank you!"

"Ahem," Madame Han cleared , "and you are?"

"Ah excuse me!" Miyoung bowed her head, still clinging to Baekhyun's arm, "I'm Jin Miyoung."

"What family do you come from?"

"Our--" Miyoung glanced at Baekhyun trying to remember the difficult word he taught her, "Our conglomerate is very far away from here. I doubt you would know it."

"I might," Madame Han insisted.

"I don't think you would," Miyoung flinched from the sight of anger in the woman's eyes. What was she thinking, talking back to an elder?

"I see," the woman changed her focus to Baekhyun, "my daughter tells me you're very smart."

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow and looked at Hyunjoo.

"Ah! We met once, at school," the girl turned a shade of pink, "You were number one in the school even though you never came to--"
Hyunjoo shut when Baekhyun's mother shot her a sour look. She couldn't have people thinking her son was a drop out.

"We met once before," She finished.

Baekhyun nodded, opening his mouth to express aw. The girl seemed slightly familiar, that must have been why. He could hardly remember the last time he actually went to school.

The older women began chittering about business, a subject Baekhyun could live without.

Then appeared the worst of all; Baekhyun's father. He approached Mrs. Byun from behind and gently set a hand on her back. He was maybe fourty-something, and looked thirty-something. He looked like an older version of Baekhyun, with wrinkles forming around his almond eyes and laugh lines creased into his cheeks. 

"It's a lovely party dear," he cooed to his wife. His voice was like a low rumble of thunder, soft yet intimidating.

"I knew you would like it," Baekhyun's mother retorted. The man turned his focus onto Baekhyun, and immediately noticed Miyoung beside him.

"What a beautiful woman," he said, Miyoung could feel Baekhyun's arm tense.

"Thank you," Miyoung replied.

"What family are you from?" Miyoung flinched at the question. Why was it always this one question? Why was it the first thing they asked her, as if determining her worth before deeming whether she was important enough to talk to?

"She won't tell me," Madame Han interrupted, "She says I wouldn't know."

"Nonsense!" Baekhyun's father boomed, suddenly taking on the appearance of Baekhyun's older sibling. With his eyebrows arched ad loud voice he becme Baekbeom in an instant, "there isn't a company I don't know."

"It's rather small.." Miyoung trailed off, cringing as Baekhyun's father took a more comfortable stance and his face hardened.

"I take it that it's unimportant, then."

"Father!" Baekbeom suddenly appeared from the crowd with a scolding tone, and wrapped his arm around Miyoung's shoulder, "that's no way to talk to someone."

"My apologies," Mr. Byun said, and let his eyes fall onto Hyunjoo, who had been quietly listening from the side, "You must be Hyunjoo. How nice to meet you."

"The pleasure is all mine!" Hyunjoo bowed quickly. 

"I hear you're learning the way of the business?"

"I study when I have time."

"I'm sure you'll be a great chairwoman just like your mother," Mr. Byun said, "if not better!"

"Now now Jaeshin, I refuse to let my daughter be better at my business than me!" Madame Han joked back.

Baekhyun gently nudged Miyoung to let him go, then pulled his notepad out of the inside pocket of his suit. He jotted something down and held it up.

Please excuse us.

"Why should I excuse you?" Mr. Byun asked, his tone suddenly sour.

Baekhyun bowed his head as if his father had given him permission and turned away. He dragged Miyoung out into the quiet back porch, that glittered from the reflection of romantic party lights. He dropped down onto the steps of the porch that led out into the garden, further along Miyoung could see the faint glimmer of the pond where the fireflies lived. She dropped down beside him.

"It is so hot in there," Miyoung panted as she fanned herself with her clutchbag. Baekhyun laughed and attempted to help by waving his hands up and down at her.

"Nice try," Miyoung laughed and caught his hand mid-wave, "but these tiny things," she jiggled his slender, thin hand up and down, "Are useless."

Baekhyun smiled apologetically, still enjoying her touch nonetheless. Miyoung let her eyes drop onto his hands, "Wow," she breathed, "your hands are really pretty, you know that?"

Baekhyun raised his eyebrows and leaned in to expect them himself, the tips of his hair grazed Miyoung's as the two crowded around his hand. Miyoung moved her fingers in between Baekhyun's, carefully holding it up.

"It's so long and thin," she said, laughing at her own fascination with someone's hand. Her eyes flickered to a mole on the corner of his thumb, "That's cute."

Baekhyun pulled his hand away playfully, and dramatically put it on his face in a mock-model pose. 

"Oh yes," Miyoung said, "you would be a perfect hand model."

Baekhyun shook his head, he doubted he would, but he smiled at the compliment.

Miyoung's eyes softened, "stop that."

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. 

"Stop being so warm. You shouldn't be. You're a stranger."

Baekhyun shook his head, he wasn't a stranger.

"It's confusing for me," Miyoung thought aloud, "when you act like that."

She sighed, "I can't remember anything, Baekhyun. Nothing but your face." 

She let her eyes raise up to his, her voice shook slightly, "do you know how crazy that makes me?"

Baekhyun let his head fall, shutting his eyes. He knew he was hurting her, but he selfishly wanted to continue like this. Without any explainations.

"There's a little voice in my head, Baekhyun," she said, tapping her temple lightly then letting her arm fall, "and I think it might be yours."

she sat up and put her head in her hands, "but I don't know. Because I don't know the sound of your voice. I don't know you."

Her eyes were desperate as they bore onto Baekhyun, "But why do I feel like I do?"

Baekhyun turned to her and gently put a hand on top of her head, then her hair. It was measly comfort, but it was all he could do. Miyoung felt something inside her lurch, was it her heart?

"Was I in love with you?" Miyoung whispered, so quietly the words barely tickled Baekhyun's ears.

 

divider.png

TADA! I have finished another chapter, a decently long one too! I'm doing my best to pick up the storyline, but I don't want to rush! I'll try to release of chapters of at least 3000 words from now on but it might not always happen T-T

And thank you to my 20 lovely subscribers, I adore you guys and I love to hear from you! It makes me feel like writing this is worth it. I now have 100 subscribers on AFF, Yay! It's not a lot in comparison to other people, but I worked very hard to get them and I love you all! 

To new readers: Hello there! If you're reading this that means you just read eight chapters of my fic, and that means I pretty much love you! If you're enjoying it too, please hit the subscribe button and write me a comment about what you think!

Thank you!!

~Violet