Him(EDITING IN PROGRESS)

Chasing Silence

FOREWORD:

This chapter will be confusing for many of you, being most of it is a retelling of Miyoung's unknown life. Normally I like to surprise the readers with a flashback that they can figure out themselves, but I feel since this may shock you, you deserve a warning. Also I ask of you not to make any revealing comments about the happenings of this chapter, thus ruining it for others. Thank you.

divider.png

"Miyoung!"

The words came out of Baekhyun's throat. She saw it. She heard it. But something was wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong. It was the notes, the vibrato, the way his voice reverbrated. It was wrong. It was entirely different from the sweet, low voice in her memories. She froze in the street, all the deafening voices in her head halting into silence. Then darkness.

divider.png

The sun filtered through the green overhanging trees above the wooden park bench. Miyoung breathed in deeply and sighed. She was herself, but a form of herself even she had never seen before. Her dark hair was messy and short, she wore a black hoodie that was too big for her small frame, and jeans that were torn in multiple places. Her round face was bare of makeup, and tired. "School was supposed to make it easier," she groaned, leaning back in the bench. Her year at Seoul University had just started, it was her path to freedom from living with her poverty stricken neighbours, from living in that dusty countryside town where there was no future for her. But why was it so hard? 

A tall, clean cut boy sat next to her, no doubt a Seoul native. He was well trimmed and shiny from head to toe. She growled under her breath, who does he think he is? Sitting without even asking? He held his head low, shoulders hunched. His breathing was quiet and shallow, almost nervous. He tapped his feet and fiddled with his thumbs, she watched his eyes dart back and forth across the scenery.

"Uh..you okay?" she asked half-heartedly.

He laughed nervously and nodded, "S-sure, I'm okay."

Miyoung looked him up and down, "...You don't look okay."

"I'm nervous," he confessed, taking a deep breath, "that's all."

Miyoung pursed her lips and nodded, "huh."

He checked his watch, "He should be here by now..." He drummed his fingers against the seat, once again glancing around.

Miyoung groaned inwardly, rolling her eyes, and leaned forward, "Well can you be nervous somewhere else?"

His eyes widened in shock, "You're not even going to ask me why I'm nervous?"

Miyoung's voice was flat, "Why would I?"

He chuckled, understanding, "Right, why would you?"

"So, like I said, you gonna leave or what?"

"No," he shook his head, "I'm going to stay."

"Whatever," Miyoung growled, and stood up, "then I'll leave."

She turned to walk away, and stopped when she heard his voice,  "Hey wait!"

She looked over her shoulder with folded arms, biting her lip in frustration, "What."

He scratched his head shyly, then motioned at her, "Um, what's your name?"

"You don't need to know that," she turned to leave.

"No wait!" he caught her arm, his voice smooth as velvet, "C'mon, I'm just curious."

She shuffled her feet, "I'm Miyoung. Jin Miyoung."

"Miyoung," he smiled, "I'm Kim Joonmyeon."

And that was where it all began.

"Joonmyeon, huh?" she glared at him, "Dumb name."

"Yeah, haha," he chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck, "it kind of is, isn't it?"

Miyoung eyed him cynically, his tidy sweater vest, and his clean and bright eyes. He reminded her of the character in one of her favorite children's books, a nerdy scholar who turned out to be a brave hero. 

Without thinking the name came out, "Suho."

"Huh?" he looked up.

"You look like a Suho," she grumbled.

"I do?" he beamed, flattered by her non-compliment, "I like that. Suho."

Miyoung raised her eyebrow at him then turned around, "Well I'm leaving, Suho."

"O-oh right," she heard him chime from behind her, "bye!"

divider.png

The library was the most peaceful place on the entire school campus. It was filled to the rim with beautiful books, all for Miyoung to explore. Science and action and fantasy and romance all tangled together like magic in one place. She came here often, after the tiresome lectures and hours of homework and studying. She came to get away from her loud, annoying roommate and her roommate's even more obnoxious boyfriend. She came to breath in the smell of dust and pages, and breath out the stress that filled her up. Miyoung chose a small coral colored book from the thousands of shelves, and taking a glance around, snuck back into the hidden room between two shelves.

Her first day on the campus she had stumbled upon it, the one place in the library no one knew of but herself. She didn't have to be bothered by the rest of the world, and could peacefully sit on the floor in the tiny room, reading her book beside the bright window. It reminded her of home, of her window at the Kim's house. 

Inside the room she sat against the backside of a bookshelf, and opened up to the first page. Then she heard it, a quiet rumbling snore that reverbrated off the walls. In front of her feet, something moved. 

"Ah!" Miyoung startled and dropped the book into her lap. At the edge of her feet, a bundled up blanket pile writhed.

"What the heck?" she furrowed her eyebrows and observed it carefully. Someone was definitely inside, but who? Who else could have possibly found her hiding spot? Cautiously, she reached forward, and with two fingers plucked the blanket off the snoring creature. 

A boy was curled into a ball, clutching a book to his chest. His hair was a complete mess, ruffled up in ridiculous clumps. He wore glasses that lay askew on his face, nearly falling off. Miyoung jumped when he began to snore again.

"Who the--!" she raised her arm to hit him awake with her book, then recognized him. With one eyebrow raised, she opened , "Suho?"

Suho reached up an arm and scratched his head, smacking and then his lips. 

"Ha!" she laughed in disbelief, "I can't believe this kid!"

He rolled over, his nose just a centimeter from the tip of Miyoung's shoe. Long eyelashes fell delicately on his pale cheeks, his baby pink lips ever so slightly parted in the trance of sleep. Miyoung cleared as her heart sped up, she didn't have time to be noticing how good looking he was right now. That wasn't important. He was trespassing in her hideout!

"Hey," she nudged his shoulder with her toe, "wake up."

Suho in a quiet breath, and tugged drowsily at his tie. Miyoung noticed his shirt was ed at the top, revealing a defined white collarbone beneath. Instantly she averted her eyes, but curiosity drew them back. Her eyes traced his smooth jawline and round lips, noticing now that his clumpy hair appeared endearing and cute, she couldn't help but smile at his low snores.

"Psst," she whispered, leaning forward and patting his head, "it's Kim Joonmyeon, right? Time to wake up."

"What?" he groaned and yawned, stretching out his arms. He rubbed his eyes and sat up, adjusting his glasses with his eyes closed. 

"You're snoring," she explained.

"I wasn't snor--" when his eyes opened he stopped dead, and scrambled backwards until his back hit the opposite wall, "Why are you here?"

"I was going to ask the same thing."

He adusted his glasses once more, then realizing the state he was in, gasped and pressed a hand to his chest.

"Were you looking at my chest?" he gasped, "ert!"

Miyoung face burned red, "Who are you calling a ert! I wasn't looking at anything! You just..you had it out there in the open!"

Suho's cheeks flushed, realizing what he had said. He quickly buttoned up his shirt, and began patting down his hair, "O-oh. Oops."

"So why are you here?" Miyoung demanded.

"What do you mean why am I here? I found this place the first day of school! It's mine!"

"So did I!" she argued back, "It's mine!"

He opened his mouth, ready to shoot another argument back, then released a breathy laugh. 

"What!" Miyoung barked, unable to hide the curious red tint in her cheeks.

"Hahaha!" he boomed, his face lighting up with joy.

"What's wrong with you?" 

"You're Miyoung. Jin Miyoung!"

"Yeah," she eyed him cynically, "so what?"

"I dunno," he stopped laughing suddenly, but the charming smile remained on his face, "I guess I didn't think I'd ever see you again, but here you are."

"So I am," she retorted.

"Hey, hang on a sec," he reached forward and Miyoung flinched as he brushed her hair out of her face, "There," and went back to sitting in front of her.

The air seemed to stand still as he stared at her patiently, sitting cross legged.

"U-um," Miyoung searched her brain for something to say, "that day--a while ago-- you said you were nervous, right? What about?"

"Wow," he rubbed the back of his neck, "You remember?"

"N-not in particular or a-anything," she sputtered. Glancing up she saw him beaming proudly.

"I was going to perform my songs. I'm a musician, you see."

That day Suho sat in the hide out with Miyoung until one in the morning. He told her wonderful stories, about his big dream of being a singer, and how hard he was working to reach it. She sat with her chin on her knees, loving every word he said and every bright smile he gave. 

divider.png

"Why do you look so upset today?" Suho mumbled with his lips just grazing the top of his coffee cup. Steam rose around his pink lips and red nose. He pulled his knit hat back and breathed heavily, shaking in the cold. 

"It's nothing," Miyoung leaned back into the park bench, burying her nose in her black scarf.

"That's the biggest lie I've ever heard."

She glanced at him with wide eyes, watching him as he rubbed his hands on the coffee cup to warm them, then pulling his jacket closer around him. 

"How would you know?" she tried to keep her angry tone, but it melted away when he smiled at her with glasses fogged up from coffee steam. 

"So that means I'm right?"

With a huff of frustration, Miyoung stared at the frosty ground, "Maybe."

"So what is it? I mean," he caught himself and blushed, "sorry, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

And in that moment she could do nothing but spill her heart to him. How could she say no?

(TO BE CONTINUED EDITING HERE)

 

"Oppa," Miyoung swung her purse over her shoulder, after much pleading from Suho she'd finally agreed to call him 'oppa', "where are we going?"

"Jin Miyoung," he frowned, suddenly stopping in front of her and turning to face her, "you're so impatient."

"Whatever," she huffed, and strutted past him, "I said: where are we going?"

Suho sighed and shook his head was a smile, he couldn't win against that headstrong girl. 

"You'll see, follow me."

In recent weeks the pair spent all their time together. There wasn't a day Miyoung could live without seeing Suho's smiling face. Not that she'd ever let him know, that was far too risky. After all, she was just boring Jin Miyoung, the orphan and the runaway, what could he possibly like about her?

"Tada!" he flamboyantly waved his arms in front of a cutesy boutique that was filled with charms. 

Miyoung's expression was blank, "...I don't get it."

"Pick something out," he beamed, "I got my first paycheck. I'll buy it for you."

Cynically she looked him up and down, "Well...Okay."

She stepped inside the store. The walls were covered in thousands of phone charms, from fuzzy big ones to tiny trinkets. She scanned the room, and something caught her eye. Trotting up to it, she realized she loved it even more up close. It was small, classic; a metal bell in the shape of a pink cherry blossom flower.

"Suh--" she shook her head, and corrected herself, "Oppa! I found one."

Looking away from the charms he was inspecting, he strutted to Miyoung and looked over her shoulder. She could feel his hot breath on her neck, and smell his clean and homely scent that had always made her want to fall asleep in his arms.

"This one?" he asked skeptically, "but it's so plain."

"It's clean," Miyoung smiled, the simple beauty reminded her of the person who stood behind her now, "I like it."

He took it from her and held it in the light, chewing on his lip. At last he turned to her and raised an eyebrow, "Do you really want it that badly?"

"Of course!"

Seeing her strong reaction he laughed and grabbed another off the rack, "Should I get one too? We could have matching ones."

Miyoung punched him playfully, though inside she was ecstatic, "But you're a guy! Wouldn't you be embarrassed carrying this pink thing around?"

He smiled the most beautiful smile she'd ever seen, "If it matches with you, not in the least."

divider.png

On the way home, Miyoung admired the charm that now dangled from her cell phone. Suho watched her with a fatherly grin, wanting to reach forward and pinch her cheeks.

"You like it that much?" he laughed.

Realizing how childish she looked, Miyoung blushed and averted her eyes, "N-no...Yes..Maybe a little.."

Before she could even realize what was happening Suho had Miyoung in his arms, pressing his cheek onto the top of her head, "You're the best girl in the world, Jin Miyoung!"

"W-w-w-what?" she froze, her heart beating so wildly she was sure it would jump right out of her chest.

He released her slowly, his warm eyes softer than silk.The street lamps lit up one by one as the sun set, casting a warm glow on the smiling boy before her. He held out his hand.

"Let's dance."

"What?" she sputtered, "Right now? You're a horrible dancer!"

"I happen to be a wonderful dancer," he raised his eyebrows and bounced his hand in the air, "c'mon no one's here, dance with me."

Her eyes bounced from his open palm to his face, then back. At last, she sighed, "let's see it then."

Reaching out she set her hand in his. In a flash he pulled her into him, twirling her around to the sound of his humming. She jumped back to avoid his wiggling feet that threatened to crush her toes every two seconds, and tilted her head back to laugh each time he made an exaggerated 'woooosh!' sound as he spun her. 

"Miyoung," he said, as he raised his hand for her to twirl beneath.

"Hmm?" she asked, giggling as she nearly stepped on his foot for the hundredth time.

He caught her and held her face to face, "I love you."

She blinked her eyes in surprise, "w-what?"

His round eyes dropped to the floor and he smiled shyly, "truth is, I'm not much. My mom died when I was little, my dad ran off. I don't have any money, or any security, or really anything at all," he laughed, "but an idiot like me loves you anyway."

"Kim Joonmyeon, don't joke around like that!" she forced a laugh, "you almost had me!"

He blinked, confused, "I'm serious."

"You can't be."

"Why not?"

Miyoung searched her brain for answers, then groaned in frustration, "I don't know! You just can't!"

"Yes I can. I am."

His eyes bore into hers, and her heart skipped definitely more than one beat. It skipped an entire cycle, a whole horde of beats.

"B-but," she avoided his eyes, "I'm boring and scraggly and sloppy--" she couldn't believe she was trying to talk the man of her dreams out of dating her, but she couldn't shut her rambling mouth. Shut up before he changes his mind! her thoughts screamed.

"--That's perfect. Absolutely perfect."

He took her chin in his fingers, and brought her lips to his. Her first kiss in her entire life, and it was everything it was supposed to be. As the sun sunk over the clouds he wrapped his arms around her, warm and comforting and perfect. 

divider.png

Suho's fingers danced across the keyboard, music filling up the fresh new apartment. Miyoung appeared in the doorway wearing Suho's hoodie, carrying another moving box, "I love that song, I do," she said and dropped the box at her feet, "but you need to stop playing and focus. The movers all left, so it's up to us now!"

"Sorry, sorry," he stood up and grabbed one of the heavier boxes. Miyoung dropped onto the couch and tilted her head, watching the man drag the box into the kitchen weakly and open it up. After a year of dating they had finally decided to move in together. It was just a simple apartment on the outskirts of the campus, but it was more than enough

"Jin Miyoung," Suho's voice came from where he was loading cups into a cabinet, catching Miyoung by surprise, "you're staring again."

Miyoung blushed, "No I wasn't!"

He peeked out from the side of the cabinet door, "Liar."

To run away from the embarrassing situation, Miyoung went into the bedroom. With a sigh she dropped onto the soft mattress and shut her eyes. She felt the bed bounce as Suho dropped next to her, and when she opened her eyes his face was inches from hers, watching her with an undying curiosity.

"You're going to sleep with me tonight, right?" he asked.

"Ha!" she scoffed, "why would you think I'd want to?"

Suho sat up and made a mock-y smirk, sensually lifting up the hem of his shirt, revealing an inch of marbled abs below, "because I'm hot."

Miyoung slapped his hand and pulled him back down parallel beside her, "God, you're so disgusting," she whispered.

"I feel the same way."

"Maybe we shouldn't have moved in together, you're really gross."

"I know, I didn't know you were such a hag."

"We should break up."

"Deal."

A smile cracked Miyoung's pretend anger as Suho lightly kissed her forehead.

divider.png

"Miyoung, I think this is really it for me!" Suho ran into the living room and scooped her up, twirling her around and kissing her, "this is my chance!"

"What is?" she widened her eyes, reaching up and brushing his messy wind blown hair out of his eyes.

"You know that nightclub down the street, right? They said they'll play and sell my album!"

Miyoung practically jumped with excitement, "really?"

He bent down and kissed her again, "really."

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Well I have to head down to talk to a music label today," he held up a business card and flicked it once, "but could you bring the albums down to the club? They're a bit heavy.."

"Of course I can! I'm stronger than a bull."

Suho planted another kiss on her forehead, "God, I love you," he laughed, then rushed to get his coat from the coat hanger, "I gotta go, but don't forget about tonight, okay? I'll pick you up at seven."

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," Miyoung brushed her long black hair behind her ear. 

Suho stopped at the door after putting his shoes on, "and Miyoung?"

"Hm?"

He smiled that smile that even if a hundred years were to pass, she would never stop loving, "Happy third anniversary."

divider.png

"God he wasn't kidding," Miyoung huffed, shifting the weight of the box more towards her left arm, "these are heavy."

"Ma'am," a woman next to her tapped her shoulder, "the light is green, we can walk across now."

"Thank you!" she smiled and bounced the boxes up. She stumbled across the crosswalk, taking note of an eyecatching sleek silver car.

"Who in the world can afford cars like that?" she panted, "show off."

Then it was back into the mass. Blindly she stumbled along, the boxes covering her line of sight. Then into the darkness of the nightclub she plunged. 

"Out of the way!" she yelled at the dancers and drunkards, forcing her way through the crowd. Strobe lights flashed in her eyes, music pounded in her head and shook the ground with a pulsating beat. Miyoung coughed as a man with a goatee blew hot smoke into her face.

"Gross, gross, gross," she whined. With a wicked smirk she slipped her foot out as the man walked away, and laughed with glee at seeing him trip into another grizzly looking man, "you deserved that," she stuck her tongue out from behind the boxes.

Finally she reached the door that flashed with neon letters 'staff room'. Barely shifting all the boxes to one side, she managed to turn the cool metal handle. 

A rather fat young man with headphones on who was sitting at a desk turned when she came in, "Hey, who the heck is--"

"Delivery," she huffed and dropped the box on the floor, the CDs inside clattered from the impact.

"These are that kid's CDs?"

"They are Kim Suho's CDs for your information," she said, and added with a sarcastic bow, "hand them out well, sir."

Once out into the club again, all sorts of greasy looking men reached out for her. She could feel their fingers in her hair, grazing her thigh. She slapped the hands away, only to be greeted by more.

"Clubs-" she slapped a hand away, "are so-" she shoved a bleach blonde woman out of her path, "--disgusting!"

Then something grabbed her, caught her by her wrist. The crowd moved away for the man who had grabbed her, making a clean path for her behind him. He stopped suddenly and turned around, causing Miyoung to trip on a disregarded beer can and tumble into his chest. She flipped her hair back and pushed off him, sputtering pieces of hair out of .

"Are you new around here?" He shouted over the loud music.

"Are you hitting on me?" she screamed back, unable to make out the man's face in the dark room. She didn't have time for this. In her head she could hear the minutes and second ticking by, it was probably around 6:30, she only had half an hour until Suho would come to pick her up.

"Please move!" she called and shoved him out of the way, but her voice was lost in the torrent of sound from nearby speakers.

Miyoung ascended out of the nightclub and into the sunny world above, like an arch angel into heaven. The afternoon sun blinded her, and she had to blink for several seconds before she could see around her.

She checked her watch and ran a hand through her tangled hair, "I'm sooo late!"

Nearly rolling her ankle, Miyoung managed to grab the side of a telephone booth before her heels could kill her. 

"Aish I hate these things!" she growled at her high heels and tugged one off. Red spots on her heels were slowly turning into skin-peeling blisters, "."

She heard a laugh behind her and looked over her shoulder. It was the boy from the club, he was a slightly taller than her, dressed in a suit that looked like it cost more than Miyoung's monthly rent. "Hey you," he said, pointing at her. God what does he want? she thought, I didn't spill anything on that expensive tux of his back there, did I?

She eyed his suit, and though she couldn't find any obvious stains, she didn't put it past him to make something like that up to earn money. How could she get away from him?

"Uh, leave me alone, I'm busy!"

Her stomach flipped when he looked unconvinced. He raised an eyebrow and flicked two fingers at her, "I said come here."

I don't think I'm getting out of this one...Miyoung rolled her eyes bitterly, and teetered over to him in her painful heels.

He offered her a ride, Miyoung refused. There was no way she was getting in the car with him. Then he grabbed her ankle, and poured the most painful medicine she'd ever felt in her life all over her blisters. How much she wanted to scream at him and kick him off, even she didn't know. But she stayed quiet. As he stood up, he took her heels with him.

"Hey give those back!"

divider.png

Miyoung set her drink down and patted the table, "anyways," she stood up, "Thanks for the help, but I need to go."

"That's it?" the boy looked unsatisfied, "I bought you a drink and saved your feet and that's all I get?"

Miyoung was tempted to raise her arm and slap him across the back of the head, but he was right. He had, after all, rescued her feet. Instead she simply nodded.

the boy-he said his name was Baekhyun- watched her quietly as she plucked the reciept off the table, and took his pen from his suit pocket. Leaning down onto the table, she scribbled her name onto a blank side of the reciept. As long as he had her name he would be able to find her, and he could make her pay it back later. Miyoung hated being in debt to anyone. Ever. Without a word she stuffed the reciept back into his pocket along with the pen, then she left.

Miyoung glanced down at her phone. The light blinked to signal she had a call. She slid the unlock button and held it to her cheek, "Hello?"

"It's me."

"Yah Kim Joonmyeon!" she barked scoldingly, "where are you?"

"You were running late first!" he countered, "I just got your text."

"I'm here now, come get me."

"On my way."

"Oppa," Miyoung said, leaning against the brick building. City lights flashed and people passed by.

"Hm?"

"Play piano for me when we get home."

He laughed on the other end, "Why all of a sudden?"

"I don't know," she mumbled distantly, "I just felt like listening."

She could almost hear the smile in his voice, "Okay. I will."

divider.png

Now you know the truth that you've been waiting for, my sweet readers.

Were you surprised?

I tried to include as many of Miyoung's 'whispering' memories made into real scenes as possible.

I'd love to hear your comment on whether you saw this coming or not, but if you do comment please be sure to keep it very vague, no spoilers!

Please please please do not mention Suho in the comments, or anything that gives away this story's twist. 

I don't want to ruin it for future readers, though I love recieving comments and appreciate all the love. 

Thank you,

~Violet