Voice

Chasing Silence

The sky was so blue. An impossible, crazy blue that made Miyoung's head spin.

"Isn't it perfect?" she smiled her infectious smile that curled Baekhyun's lips as well. He nodded in agreement--it was perfect.

They were headed to the hospital in Baekhyun's car. Today was his scheduled return for another CAT scan. The doctors still worried about his brain, if his voice had been lost, what else could go? 

"Ahhhh!" Miyoung waved her hands out the window, screaming out in joy. The sun beamed down and radiated the car with heat, even though it was still a chilly winter day. Miyoung--dressed in Baekhyun's pale grey sweatshirt two sizes too big and skinny jeans he'd stolen from his mother's closet-- was coming along to go shopping. She had a credit card in her wallet, so she figured she had some money to spend. Her long black hair, tied in a loose ponytail, rolled over itself in the wind, it danced against the cerulean sky and her cheeks. Baekhyun wore a thick military green jacket with fur lining the hood. Lavish sunglasses protected his eyes from the sun.

Baekhyun turned up the radio, Love Love Love by Roy Kim poured into the car at full blast; a wave of guitar strums and low notes. 

"Love o-~o~oh love!" Miyoung sang along at the top of her lungs, though she wasn't sure how she knew the lyrics so well. 

The trees barrelled past them and gave way to city sounds and high rise buildings. It wasn't long until Baekhyun pulled into the hospital parking lot.

Baekhyun looked at her, and she understood him. We're here.

"Do you want me to come with you?"

Baekhyun thought about it. He took out his notepad. 

It might be a long wait.

"I'll wait here, it's okay. I don't want to intrude."

He shook his head and stared hard at the paper. Would he have the nerve to write it? He blushed fiercely and held up his sign.

I want you to come.

Miyoung smiled and brushed a strand of loose hair behind her ear, "Okay."

Baekhyun slid out of the car and hurried into the building, Miyoung trotted behind. He'd felt as if he'd given away too much just by simply asking that of her, and it made it hard to look her in the eyes.

"Wait up!" Miyoung calledand grabbed his arm, "it's not a race, you know."

Baekhyun nodded and offered a crooked smile. Miyoung flicked him in the head, "that's not a good enough apology," she teased.

divider.png

Baekhyun watched Miyoung from his peripheral where she sat beside him. The waiting room was generally quiet, except for the uproar of a baby two seats away crying like a chainsaw.

"Why did you tell me you wanted to bring me somewhere and make me all excited?" Miyoung laughed, her eyes not raising from the magazine she was reading, "this isn't exactly my cup of tea."

Her eyes flickered across the pages of a magazine called Science Weekly, and every once in a while she would whisper:

"Amazing!" or, "How do they do that?"

A spark of pride flashed in his stomach that she preferred that to a cheesy fashion magazine. He leaned over her shoulder to see the article she was reading--something about the ability to create a mammoth by genetic engineering. 

Miyoung felt breath on her cheek and looked at Baekhyun from the corner of her eye. Her heart skipped a beat at his closeness. 

"F-fascinating, isn't it?" She croaked, then cleared .

Baekhyun nodded. 

"Mr. Byun Baekhyun?" A young nurse called from the door. Baekhyun looked up and laughed at the face of pure disgust on the nurse's face--the one he had previously pranked many times during his hospital stay. Long time no see, he thought with a smirk.

The nurse forced a fake smile on her makeup covered cheeks and cooed: "Welcome back Mr. Byun."

Miyoung looked cynically between the two, that nurse definitely looked familiar. Baekhyun turned to her and nodded, she smiled in return and followed him as the nurse led them down the hallway. She shot around a corner and the two quickened their pace to keep up. Then she disappeared into a doorway. 

Baekhyun's eyes widened at the image of the machine inside. It was something from the movie Avatar, or Star Wars, like something aliens used to torture their hostages. The thing took up the whole room, and had a hole in the center that glowed blue. Baekhyun was quite sure he'd been inside of it before, but chances were he was unconcious. Like he wished he was right then. 

Baekhyun looked down at the tingling in the palm of his hand. His heart nearly stopped at the sight of Miyoung's hand slipping into his. She squeezed gently and a smile graced her lips. It wasn't the squeezing or the hand that stopped Baekhyun's heart, it was her smile. The small curl of cherry red against white skin and white teeth, the arch on top, the plumpness of the bottom. Somehow he couldn't force himself away from it. She squeezed his hand again, and his heart started beating once more. He promised each beat to the girl in front of him, who he couldn't bare to loose.

Even Miyoung herself couldn't explain what compelled her to do that, but she did it regardless. 

"You'll be okay," she let her comforting eyes pour into his. Just those words alone made Baekhyun feel that as long as she was here, he truly would be okay. 

"Mr. Byun, please come get changed," a doctor motioned him into a room. Baekhyun sighed as he was forced to release Miyoung's hand. He caught her short wave just as the doctor shut the door. 

Miyoung felt strange watching this whole ordeal through a glass window. The bed Baekhyun was laying on pulled into the machine slowly, neon blue laser lights glinted on his skin, flickering across his eyeslashes, rolling across his cheeks like tears. Miyoung's eyes jumped to the scanner in front of her and the doctor. Baekhyun's brain filled the whole screen, yet as far as she could tell, nothing was wrong with it.

"You see this here?" The doctor pointed the end of his pen to a small area on the brain, one Miyoung hardly noticed.

"Yes?" She saw now on the brain activity image it looked slightly darker in color than the others.

"This area being blue shows it's less active than the other parts of the brain," he tapped it and took a few notes on his clipboard, "that area controls speech."

"Is...is that why he can't talk?"

"No," the doctor shook his head, "Probably, he can."

Miyoung blinked. The world seemed to freeze. She stared through the glass at the boy in the machine. If nothing's wrong, why can't he talk?

"W-what do you mean?" she sputtered, forcing her eyes back onto the doctor.

"It's not that he physically can't speak, we used to think that was the case, but upon seeing this it's clearly not."

The doctor sat at the desk and moved the mouse around on the screen, then began feverishly typing into the computer.

"There's no damage to his brain. He's fine. I think instead it's not so much physical as it is mental."

"Mental?"

"I believe he has Post Traumatic Stress Disorder that has triggered Aphasia."

"Um..What?"

Baekhyun stood up carefully from the machine and bowed with a smile to the doctor who helped him up. He turned his head to see Miyoung waiting with the doctor. He jolted forward just an inch, she looked as if she'd seen a ghost. What was wrong with him? What had the doctor said to make her look like that?

"Baekhyun must remember the event perfectly. It probably shocked him to the point in which he no longer posseses the ability to speak."

"Th-that's awful.." for a moment Miyoung felt lucky she didn't remember. The image of a bloody Baekhyun formed in her mind. There was insanity in his eyes, a fear so strong she couldn't understand it. Whatever he had seen, it was enough to ruin him.

Baekhyun felt the doctor tugging on his wrist, telling him he needs to get changed. But he couldn't bring himself to peel his eyes from the girl. 

"Mr. Byun," the man said, and finally Baekhyun shut his eyes tight and let himself be led away.

 

Baekhyun rushed into his clothed and burst out of the changing room as fast as possible. Miyoung was waiting patiently on the other side, looking around. Baekhyun scrambled to get his notepad out and scribble his thoughts across the page.

What did they tell you?

Miyoung smiled, "that you're completely fine."

She wasn't lying. There was nothing wrong with Baekhyun, his head wounds had healed, his broken leg fixed, he was fit as a fiddle. 

Why did you look so scared?

"What?" she scoffed, trying to sound convincing, "Me? Scared? When?" She patted him on the back assuringly, though he obviously didn't believe her. 

Don't lie to me.

Miyoung coughed and cleared , "I'm not," she assured him, "All they said is...is.." She bit her lip. The words refused to escape .

"Ahem!" she swallowed the fork in , "they said the reason you can't talk is because you don't want to."

What? Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. How is that possible?

"Something about PTD and Aphasia, big medical terms, I don't really get it," Miyoung stared at the floor like it was the most interesting thing in the world, "I think it's nonsense."

Baekhyun lifted his notepad to write but Miyoung caught his wrist and pulled it down, "Don't worry about it," she half-pleaded, then dragged him back outside before he could say another word. 

divider.png

 

The pair flew through the streets of Seoul in the sleek car, Miyoung in fresh air to calm herself down. They reached Hongdae too quickly, her heart still wouldn't stop beating. Baekhyun opened her door for her and helped her out. The streets were completely packed. Miyoung had to press up against the car to avoid being trampled. A thousand shops lined their path, colorful graffiti was splattered across every wall they passed. 

"Where are we going? Do you know a good shop around here?"

Baekhyun nodded. It was impossible to pull his notepad out in this crowd without dropping it. Better safe than sorry.

"Oh my gosh! Look!"

Miyoung grabbed Baekhyun's hand without warning and towed him through the mass. In one last tug he tumbled out of the throng of people and into a small clearing. A few people had gathered around a young man with a guitar. He plucked at the strings with ease and a tune flowed out. 

"He's really talented," Miyoung beamed, and Baekhyun noticed she hadn't let go of his hand. He cleared his throat and she turned to him with an excited expression. He flicked his head down and she gasped upon realizing their hands were still locked together. 

"Sorry!" she jerked her hand away and shoved it into her jeans pocket. 

Baekhyun just smiled.

The boy with the guitar plucked the last strings of his tune and Miyoung stepped forward to drop money into his open guitar case. 

"What's your name?" She asked, her eyes flickering up just as the bills slipped from her hand.

"C-Chanyeol," Chanyeol stuttered and immediately cursed himself in his thoughts, he always got nervous when a girl talked to him.

"That was a beautiful song," Miyoung smiled, she didn't notice a pouting Baekhyun behind her with his arms crossed. However, Chanyeol did. His eyes flickered from the older man to the girl. 

"Thank you," he put his eyes on Baekhyun and as a mischevious smile crossed his lips, "You're very beautiful."

Miyoung turned bright red, feeling less than gorgeous in Baekhyun's oversized sweatshirt with messy wind-tossed hair, "Thank you."

"Ah!" Miyoung shouted when Baekhyun flipped her around and began pulling her away. He'd had about enough of that playboy's teasing. 

"Let me go!" she whined and tried to wriggle out of Baekhyun's grasp. After getting a safe distance he opened her arms and Miyoung fell out. She could see the floor barreling towards her and she was yanked away just before it hit her, she whipped around, and stared with wide eyes at Baekhyun. His strong hand held her waist up, his other hand was wrapped around her upper arm. 

"Um," was all she said and it was enough to scare Baekhyun out of his reflexes. His grip loosened just enough for her to drop the floor. 

"Ow," Miyoung said grudgingly while glaring up at Baekhyun. She dusted off her backside and stood up. She passed Baekhyun without looking at him. Then she pulled open the sleek glass door to a clothing boutique and slid inside. Colorful garments were arranged all over, on hangers, on walls, and on maniquins. Miyoung's eyes darted from piece to piece, each more eyecatching than the last. There were blouses with rhinestone buttons and a pattern of roses, skirts with layers of intricate lace and high heels that seemed taller than the Seoul Tower. 

Miyoung heard soft breathing behind her, Baekhyun. She could feel his presence just by the air around him. The smell of shampoo and fresh air, the warmth he carried around him, the soft vibrations that followed his closeness. 

"What do you like?" She motioned to the store and tilted her head over her shoulder.

Baekhyun smiled softly, happy to be asked his opinion. He pressed his lips into a firm line and cocked his head to look at all the different clothes. He ambled farther into the shop, tilting his head this way and that as to not miss a thing. His eyes settled on two royal blue knitted beanies. He could already see it on her, popping out against her jet black hair. He moved to it instantly, sliding it off its holder. Miyoung appeared Behind him, and he wrapped his arm around her head and yanked at her ponytail. Her hair fell gently against her cheeks, and Baekhyun tucked the hat over her head.

"Oof," she raised her shoulders and arms as he pulled it over her eyes, when his hands were gone she slid it back up.

He smiled proudly, it looked perfect. 

"A hat?" she made a fruitless effort to try and look up at it on her head. Baekhyun gribbed her shoulder's and led her to a full body mirror. Miyoung touched the soft fabric of the hat, and her eyes fell on Baekhyun peeking around her head. Now that she thought of it, they looked quite good together. His hight wasn't too tall, nor too short, just enough that his eyes could peek over her head. In her heart she felt a stir, a sense of deja vu. When had this happened before?

"Miyoung-ah! Let's get these!" 

She froze when the appeared out of no where, connected to no one.

"Wow this is cute!"

She stared at her face in the mirror. She felt Baekhyun's hands on her shoulders.

"Oppa will pay."

Miyoung froze, waited for the voice to speak again, or for herself to reply, for something. But nothing came. She was greeted with silence and a questionable look from her companion.

"I'm fine," she assured Baekhyun, "just thinking."

He nodded.

"You seem so familiar, you know that?" she thought aloud, turning around to face him, "Like i've known you forever."

Baekhyun's eyes widened.

"D-did I just say that out loud?" Miyoung curled in on herself, hiding her face in her hands. She dropped them back to her sides, "F-forget that! Are you paying?" She strode past him and plucked the other hat off the shelf, placing it on his head, "get one for yourself too! They'll match!"

Baekhyun flushed red, wearing the same hat? Like a couple? He swallowed hard and cleared his throat, then reached for his wallet.

 

"You oughta try talking," Miyoung mumbled, taking a long sip of her soda, "I'd like to hear your voice."

Now that the two were in a quieter area, Baekhyun shuffled the shopping bags to get his notepad.

Why?

"Why?" Miyoung said, "Because I've known you for months, my secrets are in your memories, and I'd just like to know who I'm talking to that's why!" She shook her head as if he was being ridiculous, "Honestly..."

Baekhyun moved a step closer. What she was about to reveal seemed important.

"I keep hearing voices, it's crazy," she laughed dryly, "If I could hear your's at least I would know if it was you or not."

Baekhyun could see her hand quivering before she slipped it into her pocket. How he wished he could talk, maybe his voice was the one in her head. Maybe she remembered him.

He cleared his throat. Miyoung stopped and turned to him with wide eyes in anticipation. He took a deep breath and opened his mouth.

Nothing came out. Not even a breath escaped his throat. He was stuck. Like a cork had been shoved in the moment he opened up, something clogged him and stopped the sound. He wished he could express himself. He wished to speak and joke and communicate. But something stopped him. He shut his mouth and shook his head, defeated. 

Miyoung rested her hand on his shoulder, "Don't worry about it. No hurry."

All Baekhyun could offer was an apologetic smile. 

How he would have liked her to know who he was. 

divider.png

"You're home!" Baekbeom boomed as he opened the door. Miyoung grabbed Baekhyun's elbow to stop him from darting beneath his brother and running away. Without moving the rest of her body she nailed a swift kick to the side of his leg, all while smiling at Baekbeom.

"We're back," she said. Baekhyun smiled reluctantly.

Baekbeom held back laughter and moved out of the way for them to come in.

"Did you get everything you needed?"

"Plenty!" Miyoung held up a few large shopping bags from the trip. 

"Wonderful," He glanced between the two of them and laughed, "are you two going to a party or something? What's with the linking arms?"

Miyoung noticed she hadn't taken her hand off Baekhyun's elbow, which was now stationed stiff and straight like a waiter of a high class restaurant. She slipped it out of his arm and back into her pocket. Then released a dry laugh.

She could only muster up one measly excuse:

"'Didn't notice."

"I see," Baekbeom walked to the living room of the house beneath the glorious chandelier and dropped into red sofa.

"Dongseng, watch out," Baekbeom warned his brother, "Mom went out earlier. She's furious. What did you do this time?"

Baekhyun shrugged.

"No matter," Baekbeom sighed, "but she should be home any minute."

Everyone turned when the door handle clicked.

"Speak of the devil."

-----

I'm sorry it's so short after such a long time! But I intend to start updating sooner now. Hopefully at least one chapter a month! Thanks for reading and don't forget to subscribe and leave a comment! I love hearing your opinions ^-^ 

'Til next time! 

 

Anybody else notice how often my font and letter size changes?

I'm sorry! but I never remember what font I use, or what size, whether it was bold or not. I write blindly without caring about the technicalities >.< 

It keeps changing around and if that bothers you I'm sorry! But please for the sake of the story, bare with me! Maybe someday I'll change it all to one thing but for now this is all I can do!