Library

Chasing Silence

Miyoung tossed in bed. Over and over she turned and rolled, yet it was no use. Haunting images still flickered through her mind, too fast for her to distinguish, or remember. Each time she shut her eyes like a movie on repeat, spiraling through her thoughts like torn pieces of photos swirling in a tornado, too fast for her to grasp any single one.  If she could only push the faded colors and shimmering images out, then she could sleep. Peace could finally seep into her tired bones and she could let go of the storm inside her head. But though she turned and turned, the mattress was a bed of needles, the silence was deafening, the blankets were cold as ice, while her body was hot as fire.

She opened her eyes and stared at the wall across from her. There, a shadow. 

She blinked once just to be sure, but it was there on the plaint white wall, a grey silhouette still as a statue, as if painted there long ago and Miyoung never noticed it. Then Miyoung flipped around. 

"W-who??"

The caster of the shadow stood in the line of light from the open door. It spilled over the figure and made his body itself a shadow. The figure lifted its head.

"Baekhyun?" Miyoung rubbed her eyes and slowly sat herself upright. 

Moonlight caught his twinkling shy eyes as they brushed upward, then fell back to his bare feet. He was dressed in a white mid-sleeve shirt that hung loosely around his waist, dark pajama pants draped down his lean legs, making him look wider. Anxiously, he fidgeted in place, fumbling with the hem of his shirt.

Concern bubbled in Miyoung's stomach, "What's wrong?"

He avoided her eyes and bit his lip.

"Did you have a bad dream?" 

Baekhyun shook his head lightly, shuffling his feet.

"Did something happen?"

Again, he shook his head.

"Are you okay?"

He nodded once then took a deep breath and shifted his weight to the other leg.

"Then what is it?"

He scratched his neck and glanced around, anywhere but Miyoung's eyes. Then he started to move.

"B-Baekhyun what--"

The boy came around to the other side of the bed, the shadow on the wall following him. He sat on the edge of the bed. Miyoung could see shoulder blades jutting out of his white shirt, and shoulder muscles streaming from his neck.

"W-what are you--"

The boy reached his hand behind him and lifted the soft blanket. In one movement, he swept his legs inside and dropped the cloth onto himself, settling onto the pillow beside Miyoung's. Then he stilled. Miyoung sat staring at his back, unable to see past the slight edge of cheek she could see over his shoulder. 

"Well..that's okay, I guess.." The girl seeped back down under the blanket, her eyes not wavering from his back. Her heart jumped inside her, shortening her breath, and tingling her fingertips. 

Baekhyun flipped over in one extravagent movement and wrapped his arms around the small girl. He pressed her closer until her temple was pushed against his chest. She could feel the heat of his arms over hers, around her back; his delicate skeletal fingers curling around her side. 

"B-Baekhyun?" she sputtered, too flustered to struggle.

He wriggled closer, and pressed his face into her hair shyly. The smell of sweet citrus filled his nose from the smell of Miyoung's shampoo. A smile graced his lips but vanished quickly, what if he was burdening her? Relaxation was not an option right now, anxiety ran through his veins and turned his fingers cold. He cuddled the girl closer, so that she couldn't escape.

Miyoung stayed quiet, the silence that threatened her was overthrown by the low thrum of Baekhyun's heartbeat. A calm, constant reminder of the life inside him. One two, ba-bump, one two, ba-bump, Miyoung began to count the beats.

"Thanks for coming," Miyoung whispered into the thin space between them. She pressed her forehead into his collar bone, letting the sound of his heartbeat fill her ears with him and only him. Without her knowing her hands crept up and clenched fistfuls of his shirt, "Honestly I couldn't sleep either. I was scared."

Baekhyun nuzzled his face closer into her hair, shutting his eyes tightly and letting the smile return. She had asked what happened, but nothing did. And everything did. She said yes, she liked him too. Nothing could keep him from her now. The love he had wanted for so long was his at last. Like an alcoholic he wanted every last drop of her, he wanted to be drunk forever, without ever waking up from this splendid, miraculous dream. He wanted a small eternity like this, sweet as sugar and warm as sunlight.

Miyoung breathed deeply. The thrum of Baekhyun's heart sang her to sleep.

divider.png

"Let's go to the library."

"Library?" he laughed, "why the library of all places?"

"Don't you love the smell of books? It's so ancient in there."

"Not the library speech again!"

"Don't laugh at me!" Miyoung barked, "Just think about it. I know you have before. It's the thoughts of a billion people for a billion years in the form of a billions words. It's the lives of people who have been, who will be, and who aren't. It's human history in a nutshell!"

"If it's a nutshell it's a pretty big one," he teased.

"The world is just a nutshell, silly."

"You're the nut, Jin Miyoung."

"If I'm the nut, then you're the shell."

"That doesn't make any sense."

"Exactly."

divider.png

Miyoung stirred in the bed, causing Baekhyun's eyes to flicker open. He looked down at the girl in his arms, then looked across her to glance at the clock on her bedside table. Seeing the time he gently shook Miyoung.

"What?" Miyoung slurred, the heavy weight of sleep still clinging to her.

 Wake up, Wake up, he wanted to say. Instead he continued to shake her.

"Stoop that," Miyoung whined, trying to push his arms away.

The boy smiled mischeviously. He slipped his arms around her and sat up, dragging her with him. He set her up right and pushed her hair out of her face.

"What are you doing?" Miyoung blinked her tired eyes.

He smiled at her. Ratty black hair surrounded her tired face with sagging bags below her half-closed eyes. It was the ugliest he'd ever seen her, and she was still beautiful.

Miyoung squinted at his expression, then realizing what he was doing, snatched the blanket up and buried her face in it.

"Don't look at me!" her voice was muffled by the cloth.

Smoothing her hair down with one hand, he used the other to pull away the blanket and lift her face up. The smile never left his lips.

Miyoung in a breath as her eyes met Baekhyun's. The morning light around him made him look angelic. His hair was ever so slightly messy; a small imperfection she'd never seen before. It was perfect for him, it suited him to appear rough like that. His skin was still flawless as fresh fallen snow, and his eyes glittered in the morning light.

"Damn," she whispered.

He raised an eyebrow.

"You're perfect."

Baekhyun threw Miyoung back onto the bed as his face flushed tomato red. Him? Perfect? He stumbled out of the bed and stood against the wall.

"Hey!" Miyoung sat up, blowing hair out of her face, "What was that for?!"

His eyes widened in shock and he stiffly began marching out of the room.

"Wait come back!" Miyoung scrambled out of the bed and grabbed his hand. That action stopped him cold. 

"Baekhyun," she began, pulling him around. He obeyed, letting her move him around like a ragdoll, "I want to go to the library."

He nodded.

"I had a dream," she explained, "I remembered something. I was talking about a library."

He nodded again.

"So let's go."

He bit his lip anxiously. She got closer and closer each day. Closer to the truth that he couldn't tell her. He took a deep breath, and nodded one last time.

divider.png

The massive building loomed over them, casting a collosal shadow on the pair. Brick by brick it came together like a puzzle. Glass doors opened and closed as hoards of people entered and left. On the top floor were rows of long glass windows, inside people could be seen doing different things. Couples on couches held hands, some sat alone, some stood. The common factor was in each of their hands sat a book. 

"Shall we go in?" Miyoung asked, admiring the structure. 

Baekhyun nodded nervously. 

The glass doors slid out to make way for them. A red carpet led them into the first room, the high cieling held a grand chandelier. It was the most beautiful library Miyoung had ever seen--and also the first library she'd ever remembered seeing.

"I've been here before!" Miyoung squealed, turning a full circle to take everything in. There was the childrens section that smelled like children's shampoo and held rows and rows of colorful pages and rhyming words. Over there, the grand staircase would lead them up to the adult section and then to the right nonfiction--to the left, sci-fi. She remembered it perfectly as if it had been her own home.

Baekhyun glanced at her and scratched his neck. It had been a while since he'd come to the library. In his highschool days, he did it often. It was a place where the world couldn't bother him. He could sit quietly at the pale wooden tables and glue his eyes to the pages, immerse himself in a world that felt better than his. 

Miyoung broke his thoughts, "I remember where everything is perfectly, but for some reason i don't remember anytime I came here. I just know I did." 

Baekhyun nodded and gently pushed her forward, Might as well go up!

Miyoung reached behind her and took his hand off of her back, lacing her fingers through his. Baekhyun swallowed nervously and tried to tug his hand away, his face turning red. Miyoung simply smiled.

"What," she asked, "you don't want to?"

Baekhyun stared at her, and her smile slowly began to melt. She nervously cleared and let his hand go, "S-sorry..." she mumbled. Baekhyun shot his hand forward and snatched her's, she peeked up at him and he shook his head apologetically. Of course he wanted to. But years of neglect had brought him to a point of doubt. How could he know when someone loved him or when they were playing? 

"Good," Miyoung sighed, "I thought I was embarassing myself!"

Baekhyun smiled gently.

Miyoung cleared , "Ahem! Let's go, shall we?"

The pair scaled the stairs to the elaborate second floor. It was even more extravagant than the first. Bookshelves went so high it required a ladder to reach the top, balconies outstretched from one more floor above, where a small tidy cafe was set up with only three tables. 

Miyoung let go of Baekhyun hands and took a step towards the nearest bookshelf. She shut her eyes softly and set her fingertips onto the cool rounded surface of the books. One step, then another, another, her fingers trailed the contours of each novel and fairytale, each textbook and diary. She felt the letters against her skin, the glossiness of some books and the scale-like texture of others. When she opened her eyes and looked behind her, Baekhyun was leaning on the bookshelf with a red book in his hand a few feet behind.

"That was fast," Miyoung said, "what book is it?"

Baekhyun shrugged, and turned to the next page. Miyoung trotted over and peeked over, Baekhyun quickly darted away and held the book behind his back, his eyes widened with alarm.

"What is it!" Miyoung laughed, jumping forward in an attempt to grab the book from behind him. The boy spun around to dodge the attack and held the book high in the air in one arm, using the other to keep the girl from getting too close.

"C'mon!" Miyoung shouted, jumping up and down to try and reach it, though of course she was too short, "Just let me see!"

"Shhh!" An old woman spat behind them, her thick glasses and books in her hands proved her as one of the librarians.

"I'm sorry!" Miyoung bowed immediately, Baekhyun nodding his head beside her.

"Kids these days!" the woman grumbled, turning around with the speed of a turtle, "no such manners, future generation indeed!--"

As Baekhyun watched the old woman leave with careful eyes, Miyoung saw her opportunity. She tore the book from his hands and bounced down a set of stairs, quickly scanning the title. 

"Musical...theory?" Miyoung glanced up with one eyebrow raised. Baekhyun yanked the book out of her hands and looked down shyly. 

"Why are you embarassed over that!" Miyoung laughed, jokingly shoving him. Baekhyun playfully raised a fist with false anger then ruffled the girls hair. 

Because I am, stupid! He laughed back in his thoughts.

"Music is fascinating, isn't it?" 

Baekhyun nodded.

"Liking it is nothing to be ashamed of," Miyoung explained.

Sure it wasn't, Baekhyun knew that. And yet he was. His mother had only reluctantly approve of his love for music when his personality spun out of control, his father had never accepted or acknowledged such an interest. Even when he had gotten accepted to a label on his first try, he was unable to win any compliments. It was something he'd rather keep hidden, so that he could maintain his quiet, free lifestyle. 

"I have a favorite book," Miyoung muttered, searching the shelves, "I know that for sure. I just dont remember it. I'm sure if I saw the title I'd know which one it was right away!"

Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows. The book Miyoung liked. Where was it? 

"The title is on the tip of my tongue," Miyoung let out an exasperated sigh. 

"Miyoung?" An unfamiliar voice, "Is that you Jin Miyoung?"

Gently Miyoung turned around. The woman was maybe in her thirties, with short sleek black hair and a pointed chin. In her hair was a small bedazzled ribbon that stood out in great contrast to her grey work clothes. There was something familiar about her even to Baekhyun, who stood behind Miyoung.

"Do I know you?" Miyoung asked quietly.

"You haven't been back here in ages!" The woman trilled, coming closer, "How are you?"

"I'm fine, and you?" Miyoung quickly glanced at the woman's nametag--Kim Leena. The name rang a bell. 

"I heard you were in an accident!" The woman took Miyong's shoulders and looked her up and down, "Are you sure you're alright?"

"I'm fine, really, Leena."

"I'm glad to see your back up and moving!" Leena beamed, her mature face looked more girlish when she smiled. The woman engulfed Miyoung in a tight bear hug and then backed out, still smiling as if Miyoung had come back from the dead. Her eyes flickered away from Miyoung, and in one moment they turned confused, and then cold. 

"What's wrong?" Miyoung glanced over her shoulder, the only person behind her was Baekhyun.

"Oh?" The light switched back on in Leena's eyes as they settled back onto Miyoung, "Nothing! It's fine! I think I'm seeing something strange. It's nothing!"

As she walked away Leena rubbed at her eyes, and shook the confused thoughts out of her head. She was seeing things, she must have seen a ghost. Surely it couldn't be...

Baekhyun too had remembered her. How many years had it been? He almost didn't recognize her, now that she had changed so much. Even her name had changed. But the second she smiled he remembered it like it had been yesterday. He watched her back as she marched out of view. Nice to see you again, Kim Sun.

"That was weird," Miyong looked over her shoulder, "Does she know you?"

Baekhyun shrugged.

 

divider.png

"Why can't I find it!" Miyoung groaned, angrily sipping more of her hot chocolate from her straw. 

Baekhyun shrugged once again, and Miyoung threw her straw wrapper at him. 

"Don't just shrug! Help me out here!"

Baekhyun blocked the paper with his hand and his book ruffled noisily as he turned to the next page. 

"None of these are it," Miyoung groaned, dropping her head onto the table beside a pile of the most highly recommended books in the library.

Miyoung's eyes flickered up at the sound of Baekhyun's movement. He pulled his notepad out of his pocket and scribbled something down. 

The shelf.

"Whaat shelf?" Miyoung whined.

I'm sure it's on that shelf.

The girl sat up, her black hair bounced with her and settled about her shoulders, "What shelf?"

Baekhyun pointed over the girl. She swiveled behind her. Across the room was a small black bookcase, it was dark and miniature in comparison to the other white heavenly shelves that were miles high. Those books were the unpopular ones, the ones only bored people picked up with no other options. 

"That shelf?" Miyoung asked, though turned around she didn't see Baekhyun nod in response. 

She stood up and walked to it, there were only six books on the whole thing. She could feel it calling to her, the one certain book. There was no title written on the binding, but it was red and drew her attention immediately. The same red as the flowers Baekhyun had brought to her hospital room. The blushing red of sunsets and newborn babies, like roses and bubblegum. 

"It's this one," the words escaped from the second her fingers met the smooth cover. She dipped her fingers into the pages and pulled it from its place on the shelf, then she turned to the front page.

As if unearthly a hidden treasure she opened it with great care. The crisp clean pages were untouched, because the book was unloved. Unloved by all but her.

Your Lonely Words

Why did I wait? What for? Often these things come to my mind.

The waiting has become tiresome, and more tiresome yet. My heavy eyes grow somber.

To miss someone they say, is to feel their absence. Like a beast without meat as its stomach roars, like a fish out of water as its skin pleads for the gentle touch of the ocean. To miss someone is painful as these things.

I am hopeless from common tears, and filled with common hatred. I lack any special excuse.

My love has cried for centuries, as I wander through crumpled recollections.

The pages of our story are rather blurred and dusty. As long as I can't see them, can I bear life without you?

"I'll never leave you," was the soft lie that you abandoned.

"I'll never leave you," are the words I whisper to myself who is alone.

My creaking chest cracks once more.

 

divider.png

Hey! Here it is, chapter fourteen. I wasn't sure what to do with this scene honestly, but I love libraries so I wanted to be it in there. I also wanted to see Sun just one more time, so everyone can see how much she's changed. But how does she know Miyoung? GUESS WE'LL FIND OUT SOMEDAY! ..Honestly I don't know either. I like to think that I ask my characters, what happens next? And then they answer. Baekhyun tells me about his forgotten childhood, Miyoung mumbles about her head aches, Baekbeom explains his scars, and all I do is transfer it to here. I'm as much a reader as you are and I can't wait to see what happens next!

Your Words is not a real book, but I based off the FT ISLAND song of the same name. It's a great song and I highly recommend it!

Thank you for reading this almost pointless chapter~ >_< hehe!

Also if anyone wants me to do a review of their story, I'd love to! I was just thinking how nice it is to recieve compliments and criticism for your work so you can improve, and I'd love to help anyone any way I can!

I'll update again soon, and forever thank you for reading!

~Violet