Warning

Chasing Silence

Miyoung lowered the book. Bereaved eyes sparkled with tears on her expressionless face. Streaks of gloss lined her pale cheeks. Baekhyun went to take a step forward and hesitated. What is it?

"A-..ah.." Miyoung blinked once and the book slipped from her fingers and plummeted to the floor in an explosion of fragile white pages. Grazing her cheek Miyoung's fingers found the trail of dewy teardrops, she pulled her hand back and opened it before her eyes. Sure enough they were there, her fingers shimmered from the wetness.

"W-why..?" troubled eyes flickered to Baekhyun, "Why am I crying?"

Baekhyun couldn't hold back anymore. He rushed forward--

"Wait."

-then stopped abruptly before her.

Miyoung's eyebrows laced together, a twinge of pain echoed and was lost inside her thought as she bit down on her bottom lip. Eyes flickering and darting across the floor, she found no reason for the tears, and released a sharp confused groan.

"I feel half empty. Like a chunk of me is missing."

Baekhyun forced a comforting casual smile onto his lips and stepped forward, cupping her face in one of his hands. Softly his thumb traced beneath her eyes, wiping away each sparkling path. He laughed lightly like she was being silly, it was just a sad book, just a sad book. 

Miyoung set her hand atop his and smiled, "Thanks. I'm okay."

Baekhyun nodded and stepped back, then dropped to a crouch to pick up the crumpled book. He dusted it off and closed it, not even glancing at the page. Then he slid it back onto the shelf, wishing to never see it again.

"Baekhyun," Miyoung smiled lightly when Baekhyun reached the entrance of the library where she was waiting, "Let's go see Kai."

Baekhyun frowned.

"Oh C'mon," she playfully punched his arm, "his hotel is nearby and I should let him know I'm okay and send him off. Let's pick up some flowers on the way, alright?"

Groaning, he reluctantly agreed.

divider.png

The market yammered with people like an entire army of ants splattered in different paints and colors, like a sea of those multicolored pebbles at the bottom of a fishbowl. Sights and sounds and smells were bombarded upon Baekhyun and Miyoung the moment they entered. To the left an elderly woman in a bright pink visor argued with a businessman over the price of an octopus that she waved in her hands, it even slapped the man's cheek once. On the right a middle aged woman bounced a baby in one arm while handing kimchi bags to a woman with another baby over the booth. Children shrieked with joy and ran between Baekhyun's legs, nearly knocking him over had Miyoung not put her hand on his shoulder to steady him. Everything was an explosion of the senses. 

"Where's the flower booth?" Miyoung scratched her head, ruffling up a few unruly black hairs. Baekhyun slipped his hand into hers and pointed forward; it was at the very end of the market. Miyoung screamed and clamped onto Baekhyun at the sight of a huge pighead on display at the booth beside her, Baekhyun laughed and squeezed her hand. 

"Why would you murder something, and then to make it worse, just put it up in front of everyone!" Miyoung yelled over the whir of a woman's smoothie maker at the booth on the right, "It's disgusting!"

A delicious smell filled Baekhyun's nostrils and he looked over his shoulder. A shriveled old man sat against the plaster wall, he had perfectly cicular spectacles that were high up on his speckled nose. Deep creases had formed around his eyes and mouth from decades of laughter and tears. Now he sat beside a little stove top, cooking the origin of that delicious smell. 

"what is it?" Miyoung barely managed to sputter out as Baekhyun began dragging her towards the man. They stopped in front of him and Baekhyun pointed to the browning cookies on his stovetop. They were dalgona, a tasty snack Baekhyun had always eaten on his way home with Baekbeom in elementary school. Baekbeom didn't like the candy, but he always bought it for his brother. 

"Isn't that Dalgona?" 

Baekhyun nodded, smiling at the snack.

"Do you want some?"

He thought carefully. The sweet sugary taste still remained on his tongue, the crackling of the bread as he bit into it. The memories he had were warm and soft, though fuzzy with time. At last he smiled gently at her and shook his head. 

"Alright, then let's go."

The florist was reached in no time. The entire shop was a colorful array of sights and smells, as if the whole place was doused in a million different perfumes. Row upon row of flowers covered the entire wall, from simple daisies to extravagant blossoms Miyoung had never seen before. 

"I wonder if the flowers you bought me are here," Miyoung looked over her shoulder and smiled at Baekhyun who waited patiently leaned against a wall.

Baekhyun simply smiled in return.

"They're still in my room, they grew a lot. I can never find anything else with that exact color," Miyoung thought a moment then mumbled to herself, "that book was close though."

Baekhyun pushed off of the wall and sauntered about the shop, taking in the different flowers. Miyoung watched him only a moment then went back to her own hunt. A moment later she turned when she felt a tap on her shoulder. Baekhyun grinned and held something out in his hand. There in his palm sat a dead weed; brown, crusty and shriveled, it was missing all its petals.

"Where did you get that?" Miyoung scoffed.

Baekhyun held up his sketchbook.

Let's give it to Kai.

"No," Miyoung gawked and took the weed from him, waving it around, "I can't give him this!"

Why not? It suits him.

Baekhyun pouted.

"Byun Baekhyun," Miyoung took a sly step forward and tilted her head, Baekhyun dropped his eyes to his hands, "Are you jealous right now?"

Before Miyoung could say another word the boy quickly cleared his throat, and raising a hand he pushed her out of his way, then left the shop to wait outside. 

She couldn't hold in her scoff of laughter, "What's wrong with him?"

After a few more minutes the girl appeared from inside the shop, holding a bouquet of multicolored wildflowers. Many bloomed pure white beside a few perfect periwinkle bursts, while some explosions of yellow flourished beside delicate blue bells. It was a wild impetuous mix of iridescence all thrown into a clear plastic wrap and tied with ribbon, but in many ways it was beautiful. 

Miyoung beamed at the flowers, "Aren't they perfect? They're wild and happy just like him."

Baekhyun snorted.

Miyoung trotted down the steps out of the shop and looped her arm underneath Baekhyun's, "Let's go."

divider.png

"For me?" Kai stared at the flowers with starving eyes after he opened the door.

"Yeah, theyre--"

They were already in his hands before Miyoung could finish. He grinned childishly with excitement, "Wow! I never got flowers before! These are great!"

"I'm glad you like them," Miyoung laughed, having to subtly elbow Baekhyun in the side to force him to smile, "We picked them out."

"You and Mute?" He asked innocently, peeking up from sniffing the blossoms.

"Don't call him that!" Miyoung barked, slapping him lightly on the head.

"Hehe," Kai shyly smiled, then bitterly glanced at Baekhyun, "Sorry."

Baekhyun was ready to reach forward and hit the younger boy but Miyoung held him still tightly with her hands on his arm. 

"But why flowers?" Kai asked, pointing his large eyes back on Miyoung, "What's the occasion?"

"No occasion," Miyoung answered, stepping into the hotel room and dragging Baekhyun with her, "Just a gift for an old friend."

"Did you remember me?" Kai startled.

Miyoung shook her hanging head bittersweetly, "Unfortunately, no. I'm doing my best."

"Oh," Kai nodded and went to the cupboard in the hotel room's simple kitchen to fetch a vase, "Too bad."

"Yeah," Miyoung mumbled.

"It's okay!" Kai insisted, delicately setting the flowers into a glass cup, "Take your time, it's fine! We can just make new memories!"

His tone was too careful, like Miyoung was fragile; breakable. The sound of rushing water filled the room as Kai the faucet to pour into the vase. The girl's eyes scanned her old friend thuroughly, picking up each miniscule word of body language from his downturned eyes to tightly pressed lips.

"Kai?" she asked. He raised his head innocently and plastered a forced smile on his face.

"Huh?"

"You okay?"

"No, no," he waved her off, "I'm fine."

"I think we should leave," Miyoung said, seeing his uncomfortable posture.

"You don't have to," He replied quietly, his voice rather monotone and inscincere. 

"It's okay," Miyoung insisted, "We're leaving."

Kai fumbled with the flower and nodded slowly, "alright."

"I'll be back soon," Miyoung smiled, "when I remember you."

"You better, Jin Miyoung," Kai smiled weakly.

Miyoung led Baekhyun out of the room. They didn't speak on the journey down the hallway, or even in the elevator. As soon as they had taken the first step out of the hotel Miyoung looked up at the looming building and sighed.

"I feel so sorry for him," she breathed and glanced at Baekhyun, "for you, too. I can't remember anything in particular, and I know it's hard for everyone around me. I feel like I'm just making everyone uncomfortable."

Baekhyun put a reassuring hand on her shoulder and squeezed, earning a faint smile from the girl. 

"Thanks," she said, brightening a little. 

On his sketchbook Baekhyun began to scribble: 

Where to now?

"I don't know," Miyoung shrugged, "where should we go?"

Baekhyun pursed his lips in thought, then nodded to himself. He took Miyoung's hand and began to lead her down the maze of streets. Finally they arrived at the same intersection where they had first met. The image was perfect in Baekhyun's mind as if it were yesterday. The crowded street bustled with life as people hurried over the crosswalk and down the sidewalk. Bells on store door handles jingled as each person went in and out, talking to their friends about life or chatting away with a colleague on a cell phone. Loud music from the night club sent vibrations down the pavement to the pair's feet. 

"Where are we?" Miyoung glanced around, "this feels so familiar."

Baekhyun nodded brightly, and dragged her across the white-notched cross walk to the other side of the street. Then he whipped around and stood waiting for the light to beckon them back over to where they started.

"Why did we come over here if we're just going back?"

You'll see.

When the light flashed a walking figure Baekhyun took Miyoung's hand and sauntered across, glancing over at her excitedly. He seemed to have something up his sleeve. Miyoung glanced around at the tall buildings surrounding the square, trying to remember where she'd seen them before. When they reached the opposite side Baekhyun bent down and slipped Miyoung's shoe off her foot.

"What are you doing?" Miyoung barked, wriggling like a worm. Baekhyun only laughed and held it too high in the air for her to reach it. He wiggled his free hand's finger in her face.

"Give it back!" she demanded, but Baekhyun wasn't listening. He stuffed the shoe into his jacket and trotted down the steps into the booming nightclub.

"Yah! Byun Baekhyun!" Miyoung stormed after him with one bare foot.

The inside of the club was ten times louder than the outside. Music pounded in Miyoung's head like a hammer. The dancefloor was a swarm of waving bodies, each moving so quickly and flashing in the light so that they became indistinguishable as individuals; nothing but a mass of bobbing heads. 

"Baekhyun!" Miyoung called, but the sound of her voice was beat down by the music. Slowly she began to make her way through the crowd, mostly hopping on one foot to avoid stepping in spilled alcohol and other mysterious liquids on the floor. Her body moved automatically, finding her way with ease as if following a prelaid path. She stopped in front of a door with large capital letters reading EMPLOYEES ONLY. 

"Can't go in there," Miyoung mumbled to herself, and turned around. As she did so she ran right into someone's chest. 

"There you are!" She shouted at Baekhyun who smirked in the neon light. The lights flashed off once more, and when they were back on Baekhyun was already halfway across the room, making his way to the exit. Furiously Miyoung hopped after him, cursing him in her thoughts. She burst out of the club and into the bright sunlight of the outside. She caught just a flash of Baekhyun's coat as he walked in the corner coffee shop. Miyoung thundered after him.

Inside the shop Baekhyun sat in a booth beside the window with the shoe directly in the center of the table. He shot a gorgeous delighted half-smile at her as she walked in, causing her to release a flustered cough as she sat down opposite him.

"Yah," she panted, "give that back."

Baekhyun gently pushed the shoe forward to her.

"Why did you drag me in here anyway?" Miyoung swiveled her head around to take in the place. The walls were painted a deep red with golden trim. The air smelled of cinnamon and coffee beans. Joyful chatter echoed in Miyoung's ears from the other people inside the shop. Miyoung opened to ask if she had been here before, but the boy had already stood up and was in line to buy drinks. She watched as he scribbled on his notepad to communicate, scratching the back of his neck with embarassment at having to explain his condition. Within minutes he was back in front of her.

"What did you get me?"

Baekhyun set a tall glass of orange liquid in front of her.

"Orange juice?" she gawked, "Why would you buy orange juice at a coffee shop?"

He shrugged and motioned for her to drink.

"Well okay.." she took a gulp of the tangy drink and swallowed, then exhaled deeply, "Ah, nothing like fruit juice. I never liked coffee anyway."

Baekhyun raised his wide eyes from his drink. 

"That's right," Miyoung whispered, "I don't like coffee. I remember!"

Baekhyun beamed with pride, his plan had worked at least a little.

Miyoung took another sip happily, then gasped, "I remember why I don't like coffee!"

Across the table Baekhyun raised an eyebrow.

"Dad gave me a sip when I was little once, and it was so bitter and strong I hated it right away. I didn't drink it since," a bittersweet smile fell on her face.

Nodding, Baekhyun relaxed in his seat with a carefree smile.

"What are you so smug about?" she asked wryly.

He shrugged. 

 

divider.png

"I hope you're happy with yourself," Miyoung groaned and stretched in the car, "I'm exhausted." 

Already the sun had sunk in the sky behind the horizon, and the moon glowed in the orange sky. Stars lit up one by one like street lamps, but the bustling atmosphere of the city hadn't ceased to continue. As Baekhyun got into the car chatter of passers by surrounded the car. Miyoung was sure it could be heard even in space. 

"Let's go home now," She said to Baekhyun, who nodded in return and started the car engine.

Cool night air coursed through Miyoung's hair and caressed her skin. It was a warm spring night so Baekhyun had left the top down, much to Miyoung's delight. He glanced over and laughed at her beaming like a child in a candy store. 

Soon the white palace of a house came into view, looming and lit up like a christmas tree. The garden fountain roared in the distance. Miyoung climbed out of the car and noticed another unfamiliar one in the estate's driveway.

"Is that your father's car?" 

Baekhyun shook his head and trotted over to inspect it, Miyoung was close behind. He looked up at Miyoung with confused eyes and shook his head. It wasn't his father's, or his mother's, or Baekbeom's. 

"I wonder if Baekbeom bought another car..?" Miyoung mumbled as she followed Baekhyun up the stairs to the front door. 

With one knock the grand wooden door swung open. Mrs. Nam, the house maid, stood rigid before the pair. She fidgeted uncomfortably and then forced a smile on her face, "You're home, Mr. Baekhyun!"

He nodded and tried to step inside, but the stout woman blocked him. In a low voice she whispered, "Someone's here, sir. I think they're planning something! Be careful, for your sake," she glanced up at Miyoung, "For her's too." Then she stepped aside and allowed him to enter. 

A small crowd sat around the glass table in the center of the living room. Baekhyun's father stood up with a wine glass in hand, "There you are my boy! Come join the party!"

Baekhyun scanned the people in front of him. There sat the fat Madam Han, her botox filled face was round and plastic--fake like the pounds of makeup she wore. A string of heavy round pearls decorated her neck, and black bobbed hair curled at her chin. 

"Hello Baekhyun! So good to see you!" she cooed, "Do you remember me? We met at the party."

He nodded and nervously glanced at Miyoung. It was then Madame Han noticed her aswell, and a sour look crossed her face.

"I see you're still here," she said.

"U-um..." A beautiful young girl turned around, an elegant ocean blue dress hung on her small body, complimenting her milky skin, "N-nice to see you again," she mumbled sheepishly.

"Hyunjoo?" Miyoung instantly recognized the model-like girl. The girl's round sparkling eyes flitted to Miyoung and lit up with recognition.

"Are you M...M.."

"Miyoung," she said.

"Miyoung, yes!" she smiled cheerfully, her fairylike traits glowed, "How are you?"

"I'm fine," Miyoung half smiles. She glances around with slight confusion, why is Hyunjoo here?

"That's wonderful," fairy-like Hyunjoo begins to say, when her mother cuts her off.

"We have fantastic news for you, Baekhyun," Madame Han booms, her round stomach vibrating with laughter.

Baekhyun glances at Miyoung nervously, then swallows and faces forward, raising an eyebrow. 

"Hyunjoo," the woman grins, "why don't you tell him the news."

The girl slowly nods, and turns her frail body to face Baekhyun. She centers her large eyes on the floor, complimenting perfectly curled black eyelashes. Her fingers fidget and fumble with the fabric of her dress. The room quiets, waiting patiently for the delicate fairy's announcement. 

"Baekhyun," she practically whispers, then peeks up, "we're getting married."

 

divider.png

Hey everyone! i'm so sorry it's been such a long time since i've updated, I've been super busy with school. I'm sure most of you can understand since many of the readers on this website are highschool students like myself. I'll try to write as often as I can and sometimes that may only be once a month, but I'll do my best! As always thank you for all your support.

~Violet