Epilogue: Finding Silence

Chasing Silence

Miyoung's eyes blinked open, but she couldn't see anything.

Only the out of focus view of a million tall blades of grass swaying in the breeze. Blue-winged butterflies flitted across the green, stopping at wildflowers. The buzz of summer tingled her ears, the warmth of the beaming sun heating her bare toes and arms and face. She took in a deep breath, and let it out slow and easy. A familiar tune filled the air about her unkept black hair, falling from the lips of the man beside her. She rolled over on his arm to face him, reaching her hand across his chest to lace her fingers with his. The sound of his heart beat kept time with the music. 

"I love your voice," she whispered over the sound of the breeze.

His humming paused just for a heart-fluttering moment, "I love you."

Miyoung laughed and tore her hand away from his, then propped herself up on her elbows on his chest. The man choked and gasped a breath.

"Hey, hey! Watch it!"

"I think I liked it more when you couldn't speak, Byun Baekhyun."

A deep, warm smile forms on his lips and he sits up abruptly. Squealing, Miyoung falls into his lap.

Baekhyun stares down at her, "You just said you love my voice."

Miyoung moves hair out of the boy's face, "I lied."

"You're gonna have to take responsibility for that, you know."

Miyoung sighs, laying her hand on the man's face. His heart skips a beat. Like it always does. Like it has since the moment he saw her, and every moment he sees her. Even now, four years later.

"It's still so weird to hear your voice," she says again for the thousandth time, "a part of me feels like it's still not real."

He takes her hand from his cheek and laces their fingers together, "me too."

"What were you thinking?" Miyoung blinks, "all that time, not talking?"

"More than I could ever try to say in one sitting," he stares back.

Miyoung frowns.

"Try."

Instead, Baekhyun leans in and tenderly presses his lips against hers. Every time he kisses her he wants to never stop, but he's learned to have some control. So he kisses her just enough, just a tender touch, a brief moment of closeness, then pulls away and sets his forehead against her. Almond eyes looking into round ones.

"That's not what I asked you to do," Miyoung complains, still unable to hide her reddened cheeks.

"That's what I wanted to do."

Miyoung's lips purse, she nibbles her bottom lip, fidgeting, feeling Baekhyun's eyes burn into her, through the back of her irises and lighting fire to her cheeks. Shouting loudly, she drops away from him, back onto the plaid picnic blanket. Laughing at his girlfriend's childish reaction, Baekhyun follows. Lazy clouds drift overhead, stretching out their wispy bodies across baby blue skies.

After a moment of silence, Miyoung opens .

"He's happy too, I think."

Baekhyun turns his eyes from Miyoung to the sky; the place where he is.

"I only knew him for a moment, but something tells me he is."

Maybe it was the way the heat of the sun buzzed around them down that day, the hum of fluttering butterfly wings, the whistle of the breeze in the grass, the sweet song of birds in the trees surrounding the meadow, but somehow they knew he was there. Forever young and beautiful, dressed in the cleanest white, smiling like always. There was no more running, no more questions, no more secrets. Most of all, no more silence.

Baekhyun began to hum again.

The meadow filled with music.

* * *

Hello everyone! This is a epilogue to Chasing Silence. I felt the need to give all the Chasing Silence subscribers a more final look into what happens to Baekhyun, Miyoung, and Suho even though the main story has ended, because you all gave so much love to this fic and these characters. Sincerely, thank you for all your comments and support. Please continue to love this story, and if you're interested, check out my newest fic, The Fox Child. To check it out, click here

Thank you!

Love,

Violet