Charms

Chasing Silence

"You're all set to go by the end of the week," he said. "we've checked you time after time and weren't able to find anything, you're healthy," he said.

Miyoung the papers in her hand, the ones permitting her to leave the hospital. How badly had she wanted to leave, and now that she could, she'd rather stay. The world outside was big and scary to a person whose only memories all took place inside a hospital room.

Miyoung bit her lip, closed her eyes and in a deep breath, she would have to be brave. When she opened them, a box was laying in her lap. Her eyes fluttered to the doctor and he motioned to the small carboard container. 

"These are the things that were on you when you got to the hospital."

The objects taking up the majority of the box were clothes and a purse. Miyoung held the clothes up delicately with two fingers, like it was the funeral clothes of a dead person; which it practically was. It looked that way too.

As she held it up the clothes rolled down revealing a loose white lace dress, it was  elegant and feminine and everything Miyoung expected her previous self was. But now she felt as if she was holding something that didn't belong to her, something unfamiliar. It made feel sour, so she set it aside and set her focus on the purse.

It was too small to fit anything important, practically no more than an accessory. It was definitely leather, but softer, and a sort of beige color, like a peanut. Miyoung pulled the zipper around, and reached inside. Her fingers grazed something and she tugged it out. Miyoung registrated the thing in her mind as an ID card, one that belonged to none other than herself. 

"Jin Miyoung," she breathed the words easily, she could recognize her own name in writing after many lessons with Yunji. Her eyes scanned the card, "Birthday: July 22 1992," she brushed her finger across the precious words that marked the day she came into the world. For a while she forgot she had ever had a start to her life, a beginning. She thought her first day was the day she opened her eyes, already an adult, speaking and walking. Miyoung felt a twinge in her heart and wondered what she looked like as a baby, and what her parents looked like. 

"I'm 20?" Miyoung looked up to the doctor for affirmation, even though he wasn't sure himself. He doublechecked his papers and nodded, "that's right."

"Um...do you know anything about me? Like where I live or something?" Miyoung held the ID card tightly in her hands, because it was all the information she had about herself. 

"I'm sorry," the doctor shook his head, "No one came in looking for you, so we don't know about your family or personal life."

"Oh." Miyoung's eyes fell back on the card. 

"I'll leave you alone with this, please take some time and see if you remember anything," the doctor bowed before leaving Miyoung alone in the hospital room. 

Miyoung bit her lip as a well hidden tear rolled down her cheek. She huffed a breath and wiped it away, "No use in crying, " she muttered, and pulled the box closer. A few reciepts looked to have fallen from the purse, nothing important; a convenience store, a toll bridge. She rummaged more and froze in spot when she heard a nearly inaudible tinkling sound, like a fairy crying for help. 

She moved her hand around in the box and there it was again, calling for her. Finally her fingers hit something cold and small, and she held her hand up to see. 

"A bell?" Miyoung stared at the thing in her hand. It was small, pink, and took a familiar shape. "No," she corrected herself, "a flower." It was a cherry blossom flower. 

"Do you really want it that badly?"

"Huh?" Miyoung glanced around the room, but it was empty. 

"Of course!"

Miyoung held her breath when she recognized the second voice as her own. The people she heard weren't in the room, they were in her memories. 

"Should I get one too? We could have matching ones,"

"But you're a guy! Wouldn't you be embarassed carrying this pink thing around?"

"If it matches with you, not in the least."

"Aish you're giving me goose bumps!"

Miyoung shut her eyes and pressed her hands into her ears, pleading in her mind for the voices to stop. It was too confusing, too unfamiliar. She cringed, waiting for another dialogue to pour from her thoughts, but one never came. Slowly she lowered her hands and trained her eyes back on the charm. She fondled the charm and it tinkled sweetly in return. 

divider.png


"Oppa!"

Baekhyun sighed, not this again. What did she want now? The nurse--Hasung--trotted in with a perfect white grin. Baekhyun raised an eyebrow, 'what?'

"Oppa you can leave the hospital!" Hasung clapped a hand on his shoulder, and Baekhyun cringed from the impact. Where in a world did a girl of her size get that amount of strength, he might never know. "The doctor said at your last check up they didn't find anything and so you can go home now!" she whipped a pile of papers from behind her back like magic, "look! I have your release forms!"

Baekhyun took them and scanned them over. It was true. All he had to do was sign and he could get out of this horrible place. Baekhyun set the papers down only briefly to lean over to his end table and get his notepad. 

Is my leg okay?

"Of course!" the nurse nodded enthusiastically, "you're fit as a fiddle!" she flicked his cast and he braced himself but no pain came. "See? You might have a bit of a limp for a while, but you're fine."

When can I leave?

"As soon as you sign those papers you're good to go," Hasung waved at the papers, "and out of my hair!" she added, smiling gleefully like the idiot Baekhyun was sure she was.

"You know, I'm only saying this because you're leaving soon," she brushed some loose strands of hair behind her ears, "but as good looking as you may be, I never liked you. Not even once!" she laughed and flicked her hand--her form of a wave--then practically skipped out of the room. Baekhyun scoffed, and couldn't help releasing a laugh. She's crazy, absolutely mad. He thought, though he had grown a certain affection for the woman, no matter how crazy she was. 

Baekhyun held his pen in a shaky hand. The tip lingered just above the page, and as much as he willed it to, it refused to move. All he needed was his own consent, and he was free. But even a prisoner was hesitant to leave his cell, when so much of the world could have changed during the years spent behind bars. Baekhyun doubted the world had changed that much in his absence, that wasn't the problem. The thing that had changed the most was himself. 

His eyes fell on the lazy drifting clouds outside his window. Somewhere out there, people were waiting for him. But were they really waiting for him? The person they were waiting for wasn't there anymore. 

divider.png

"I heard you're almost out of this hell hole?" Bora smiled brightly despite having said a word that seemed like it should never have come out of such a creature's mouth. 

"Bora noona!" Yunji snapped.

"Oh!" Bora held long, elegant fingers to her cherry red lips, "forgive me lord for I have sinned," she jokingly held her hands together and shut her eyes tight like a true church-goer. Yunji stuck her tongue out. 

"Yes, I'm leaving on Thursday."

"Did you have things to pack up?"

Miyoung thought about the tiny box of her possesions, "Not really," she sighed, "more like I needed some mental preparation."

"You'll do fine!" Bora patted her shoulder encouragingly, "you can read now and everything. Life's a piece of cake, really."

I don't know about that, Miyoung thought, and dragged her lips into a smile. 

"Right, Baekhyun?" Bora slapped Baekhyun on the back, he curved his shoulders protectively and shot her a glare, "Oh c'mon it didn't hurt that bad!" Bora puffed her lips out. Baekhyun's frown melted and he shrugged, his lips curving into a content smile. 

"You won't forget about me right?" Yunji held tightly to Baekhyun's hospital gown.

Of course not.

Yunji smiled, satisfied with the answer, and let go of Baekhyun. 

"Thank you for teaching me how to read again," Miyoung ruffled the younger girl's hair. 

"I'd say you're welcome if you didn't cause me so many problems!" Yunji whined and desperately patted her hair down. Despite her tomboyish looks, the younger was still a girl. 

Miyoung exchanged uneasy glances with Baekhyun. Neither of the two were quite ready for the big adventure called life.

divider.png

"You came?" Miyoung said, not even glancing up from the copy of Cinderella Yunji had lent her. 

Baekhyun rubbed his neck shyly. It mystified him how the girl knew it was him just from hearing his footsteps. 

"Don't act surprised," Miyoung sighed, setting the book in her lap, "it's not like anyone else comes to visit me besides you."

Baekhyun nodded knowingly and was greeted by Cinderella whizzing past his ear. He widened his eyes at Miyoung who smirked, and raised his eyebrows, 'what was that for??'

"You should have told me how much everyone loves me," Miyoung joked, then pointed at the floor beside Baekhyun, "Can you bring me that?"

Baekhyun scoffed but obediently picked up the book and brought it back to the girl. 

"So," Miyoung pushed her hair out of her eyes, "you're leaving too?"

Yes.

"You know, you have a whole page worth of notes you could be writing," Miyoung pursed her lips, "why don't you write longer answers?"

It takes too long.

"That's okay," Miyoung nodded, "I'll wait, because I want a long answer to this next question."

Baekhyun waited. Miyoung fidgeted with her blanket, her hands suddenly becoming the most interesting thing in the room. 

"See, I don't have anywhere to go. As far as I know, I don't have a house, or friends, or a family." Miyoung raised her eyes to the red flowers on the window sill, "so even if I want to leave, where do I go? There's no where to go." 

Baekhyun wished he could offer some comfort, but what could a mute person do. Even if he had words to say, they would pay no consolation to a girl with nothing. 

"So I'm asking you. Do you know anything?"

Baekhyun's eyes snapped up to hers. Did she find out?

"Don't act so surprised," Miyoung sighed, "I know you were in the accident with me."

Baekhyun forced a confused expression on his face.

"You're not fooling me, Baekhyun. I saw you." 

Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows, and flinched when Miyoung's fingers grazed his cheek, "I know where this scar came from."

He opened his mouth in surprise. What else did she know? Fear crept into his bones, ravaged through his stomach like a wild animal. 

"If you know anything, tell me."

Baekhyun in a deep breath and looked down at his blank note  pad. What could he write to make her understand. 

 

I don't know anything. All I know is your name. But I can help you.

 

"How can you help me?"

divider.png

A knock resounded on Miyoung's door, "Come on in," she called, carefully setting her precious red flowers into a box. She looked up at the pair of feet landing in her vision. Baekhyun smiled shyly, his hair was full black now, all the residual brown dye long since washed out. Miyoung supposed clothes really do make a person, because Baekhyun almost didn't look like himself. He wore slim black pants and expensive-looking sneakers, with a handsome red sweater to match. 

Miyoung was woken from her trance by hearing Baekhyun scribble away on his notepad.

What are you looking at?

"You," Miyoung answered honestly, trying to hide her light pink cheeks, "you look nice."

Baekhyun smiled, he wished he had the courage to tell her she looked beautiful too, dressed in a white lace dress that was a vast contrast from her jet black hair.

"Okay," Miyoung nodded and fastened her tiny peanut-colored purse around her hip, "I'm ready."

Baekhyun nodded and motioned for Miyoung to go out. She smiled and trotted past him, carrying her box. As she did she noticed a dark navy blue backpack on his shoulders. She'd never noticed any belongings on trips to his room, and now that she thought of it, no one came to visit him either. But life didn't allow MIyoung to dwell on the thought for too long before Baekhyun tugged her sleeve and she turned around. 

We'll take a cab.

"Well it's not like we're going to walk there," Miyoung said sarcastically, and playfully punched Baekhyun's arm. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and followed behind her to the hospital entrance. He held up a hand and within minutes a taxi pulled into the hospital parking lot. Miyoung climbed in and set her box beside her. Baekhyun got into the other side. 

Can you tell him to go to Bukchon?

"Ah, Bukchon please."

"Sure thing," the driver turned the keys and the vehicle slowly rumbled into motion. Miyoung stared out the window as busy people and tall buildings whirred by like buzzing bees. 

Miyoung stirred and blinks her eyes open, something was prodding her in the cheek. She rolled her eyes over to the pest and blinked at Baekhyun. He held his notepad in front of her face and she squinted to read the letters. 

We're here.

"Already?"

It took an hour.

Miyoung nodded slowly at the words, "Okay." She forced herself to sit up right and stretched, nearly hitting Baekhyun in the head. Baekhyun payed the driver and quickly got out of the cab, dragging Miyoung and her flower pot with him. He led her down a high end street, a mix of traditional and modern houses. It was like the joseon era and the 21st century were competing. Fences of tile and cement led into brick and marble. Miyoung wasn't sure which was prettier. 

Baekhyun stopped in front of a glossy black gate and turned to Miyoung. He in a long deep breath and let it all out at once. 

"What's wrong?" Miyoung raised an eyebrow. Baekhyun looked her up and down, scanning for imperfections. He dusted off her dress, and tugged a loose string off. Carefully he organized her hair on her shoulders, then back away to look at his work. He offered a curt nod, this will do for now, and turned back to the gate. 

he rang the doorbell and smiled gently at a security camera. A stout older woman with graying hair appeared out of no where, huffing like the big bad wolf. She unlocked the gate with shaking hands. As soon as it was unlock she engulfed Baekhyun in a huge hug. 

"Mr. Baekhyun! You've returned!" She backed off teary eyed and cupped his face in her hands, "I was so worried about you!"

He smiled brightly. A wave of sadness crossed the old maid's face when she remembered the tragic news. "Oh you poor dear come on inside."

The woman would have easily dragged him inside without her if Baekhyun hadn't stopped the woman and motioned at Miyoung.

"And who might you be?" She asked sweetly.

"I'm Jin Miyoung, a friend of Baekhyun's. Nice to meet you," Miyoung bowed her head and the old maid tugged at Baekhyun's sleeve, jumping like a puppy. 

"Why didn't you tell me you had a girlfriend?" she elbowed him in the side, "she's a looker, too!"

Baekhyun's face flushed bright red, Miyoung waved a hand, "Oh no, I'm not--"

"Come on dear!" the old woman took Miyoung's hand as well and dragged the pair inside, "the mistress is dying to see you!"

 

----

Another short chapter!! So sorry! I'm having focus issues lately. I know I promised a longer one, but my brain has become that of a squirrel's. Anyway I hope you enjoyed this chapter even though it's short T-T 

Anyone have any guesses on Baekhyun's relationship to Miyoung? It's not what you think it is!...probably. Is anyone interested in me writing a background story on Miyoung and Baekhyun? I can't decide if it would be better to do it sooner or later...

Anyong~!