Log 7

Intern Shenanigans

Yixing honestly didn’t know what he was thinking when he decided to get into a car with Luhan.  A 10-minute drive to a building down the street somehow turned into a mini road trip as Luhan whizzed through neighborhood streets towards their destination.

“The other day’s afternoon shift was something, wasn’t it, Yixing?” Luhan’s voice interrupted Yixing’s thoughts.

“Well…  That’s life, I guess,” Yixing simply replied. 

To be honest, he kind of pushed back the other day’s events to the back of his head after it was over.  Yixing was already dreading the fact that he’d have to do more afternoon shifts in the near future.

“Ah yes, life,” Luhan sighed dramatically.  “Intern life.”

Down the street they were driving on, a bicyclist in the distance crossed in front of them.  Luhan made weird screeching noises at the bicyclist while he passed by, and Yixing slumped a little in his seat, suddenly very grateful that the windows were all closed.

Finally at their destination, Yixing followed behind Luhan closely, not wanting to get lost.  The conference ended up being only a little over half an hour, but Yixing listened intently throughout as Luhan discussed matters with one of their clients.  When the conversation finished and they started making their way back to the car outside, Yixing thought for once that Luhan looked like the professional he was supposed to be.

Luhan turned around and bopped Yixing on the head with a rolled up paper.

“Hey, I am professional 24/7.”

Oops, did Yixing accidentally think that out loud?  Rubbing at the spot on his head, he murmured a small apology to Luhan and quietly walked beside him again.

Luhan pursed his lips in sudden thought. 

“Well I guess I should take this as a good thing?”

“Huh?  What is?” Yixing asked.

A smile formed on Luhan’s face.

“I mean, if you thought that I looked professional just now, then you must always be looking at me or something then.”

Yixing’s footsteps faltered a little and he felt his cheeks get warm.  It wasn’t that he intentionally looked at Luhan all the time, not in that way.  It was more like Luhan was the one who caught Yixing’s attention the most back at the office.  Minseok never seemed to leave his computer desk and piles of paperwork, and Jongdae spent more time outside of the office, only occasionally chatting with Yixing but never for a long time.

Yixing’s thoughts were stopped when Luhan lightly pinched his cheek.

“Don’t worry, Yixing!  You’re not the first intern to have a crush on me~” Luhan said the last bit in a sing-songy voice.

Yixing rubbed at his cheek and suddenly had a thought.

“Hey, Luhan,” Yixing started, and Luhan turned to look at him. 

“If we date…”  Yixing spoke slowly, noticing the way Luhan’s gaze had become a little unsteady.

Yixing smiled. 

“If we date, you have to buy me lunch from now on.”

Luhan’s nervous expression then changed back into an amused one and he punched Yixing in the arm.

“Not in your dreams, intern.”