Log 11

Intern Shenanigans

Yixing had a rather unsettling dream on the first night at his new residence.  Said dream consisted of Luhan breaking into his room and cuddling Yixing to near-death, so when Yixing woke up to find his room door still closed, he was all but relieved that it was only a dream.

Having woken up 30 minutes earlier than his alarm, Yixing tiptoed out of his room and quietly made his way to the kitchen downstairs.  Passing by the living room, he caught sight of a figure in his peripheral vision and nearly screamed in shock.

“Woah, easy!  It’s me!” Luhan stepped into the lit hallway to reveal himself.

Yixing let out a breath that he had been holding and lowered his hand from his chest.

“I was about to throw my phone at you!  Don’t do that!” he berated Luhan, who apologized once more.

Yixing huffed out another angry sigh and walked with fuming footsteps into the kitchen.  He rummaged through the fridge for sandwich ingredients, feeling Luhan’s presence behind him.

“…What?” Yixing pressed, not looking back at Luhan.

In all honesty, Yixing was half-expecting to hear a “Can you make me a sandwich too?” or to be scared again by Luhan (this time intentionally).  He was not expecting a soft and warmly spoken “Did you sleep well?”

Yixing turned around and looked at Luhan carefully.  A part of Yixing wanted to be sarcastic and to ask back “Did you?”, but then he noticed how genuine Luhan’s expression was, how Luhan’s eyes had the slightest tint of worry in them.

Yixing looked away and went back to his task of making a sandwich.  When he was done, he turned back to Luhan and held the sandwich out to him, pointedly looking elsewhere in the kitchen.

“I slept well.  Thank you for asking,” Yixing simply replied, hoping that his voice didn’t sound as shaky as it did in his mind.

Luhan blinked blankly for a moment at the sandwich that was presented before him, then laughed lightly at the gesture.  He took the sandwich from Yixing’s hand, and Yixing turned back around to make one for himself this time.

“So who exactly lives here?” Yixing asked, hoping that a light conversation would ease off the tension in the air.

“Just me and Yifan, really,” Luhan mumbled with a mouthful of sandwich.  “We have renters that come and go, but Yifan usually scares them off after a while.”

“I don’t scare them off, you do,” a voice yawned in reply.

Both heads turned to the direction of the kitchen entrance where a neatly-dressed and freshly-shaven Yifan walked in.  Yixing greeted him with a timid ‘good morning’ while Luhan rolled his eyes at him.

“Fine, we both scare them off,” Luhan resigned and took another bite of his sandwich.  “But it doesn’t help that you’re kind of a demanding penny-pinching landlord.”

Yifan merely shrugged in response as he grabbed a cup from the cabinet.

“My place, my rules,” he said as he poured himself some coffee.

And there went Yixing’s plan of asking for an extension on the rent via sandwich bribe.