Log 10

Intern Shenanigans

Instead of relaxing over the weekend, free from piles of schoolwork, Yixing was spending most of his time walking around and surveying a handful of buildings with open room leases.  His current landlord was planning to increase the monthly rent for his apartment, so Yixing embarked on a personal hunt for another place that was affordable.  He managed to find one location that was around the same distance from work, so he took a deep breath and stepped into the landlord’s office, ready for anything.

He wasn’t expecting was to see Luhan standing there though, and Yixing stood frozen in brief shock and wondered if he was hallucinating for a moment.

“Wow, work must really be affecting me or something.  I swear I’m seeing Yixing right now,” the-supposed-hallucination Luhan spoke, meaning he wasn’t a hallucination at all and that Luhan was currently physically in the room of the landlord’s office.

Yixing looked around to make sure that he was currently at a new prospective home and not at work.

“Um.  Hi?” Yixing’s voice finally let out, and a bit of an awkward silence set between the two.

“Do you live here?” Yixing asked Luhan.

Luhan nodded his head in response. 

“I do, yes,” Luhan flicked at the Newton’s Cradle that was on the desk.  “I’m just waiting for Yifan to come back.  What kind of landlord isn’t present when his tenants need something?”

“One that’s been trying to avoid a mooch like you,” a voice came from the door, and Yixing turned to see a tall and model-esque-looking guy making his way to the desk.

“Luhan, get out,” Yifan said as soon as he sat down.

Luhan took a piece of candy from the bowl on the desk and threw it at Yifan’s head.  Yixing wasn’t sure whether he should take a seat somewhere or keep standing where he was.  He had eye contact with Yifan then, whose gaze directed him to a seat in front of the desk.  Sitting it was.

“Sorry, just ignore this idiot here,” Yifan got a batch of papers out from a drawer and placed them in front of Yixing.  “Are you interested in the room that’s available upstairs?”

“Um,” Yixing pointed at Luhan, who was still flinging various pieces of candy at Yifan's head.  “He was here first so you can talk to him first – “

“No, it’s fine.  I already talked to him about his request and told him ‘no’,” Yifan replied, now raising his hand to block candies from hitting his head.

Luhan stopped throwing candies and laughed loudly all of a sudden. 

“Oh, I don’t think you can decline my request now,” he said in an amused tone.

Yifan lowered his hand and raised an eyebrow at him. 

“And why’s that?” Yifan challenged.

Luhan crossed his arms smugly and smiled at Yifan.

“Because ‘my request’ is currently sitting in front of you.”

Both men turned to look at Luhan, Yixing with a ‘What’s going on?  Was I involved in a bet?’ look, and Yifan with a “How dare you embarrass me like this?  I am going to raise your share of the rent” look.  Luhan then took Yixing’s hand and urged him to stand up from his chair.

“I’ll show you around, Yixing~” Luhan ushered Yixing out of the office and up some stairs.

Yixing wasn’t sure where Luhan was dragging him until they came to a door at the end of the hallway on the second floor.  The door was opened to reveal a small and cozy room, a bed present and already made with an organized desk to the side.

“There’s only one kitchen, which is downstairs, and a bathroom on each floor that you can use.  Oh and I guess there’s also Yifan’s, but he’s stingy and doesn’t like to share his private bathroom with people,” Luhan shrugged.  “Doesn’t stop me from trying!”

Yixing was still in the middle of processing the things that had just happened that led up to the current moment. 

“I didn’t sign anything yet though?” he tilted his head to the side.

Luhan smiled at Yixing’s confused and dumbfound expression. 

“Don’t worry, you can do that later.  Technically, you’ve been a tenant here for a while now.”

Yixing continued to look at Luhan with lost eyes.  Luhan resisted the urge to squeeze Yixing’s cheek.

“You mentioned at work before that you were looking for a new place, right?” he asked, and Yixing nodded in return.

“Well, I’ve been hounding Yifan since then to let you take the room here, but he was all ‘No, let other people look first’, so today I was going to sign the room for you and then what do you know!  Perfect timing!  You appeared out of thin air and helped fulfill the prophecy!”

Yixing smiled at Luhan’s exaggerated gestures as he explained it all to him.  Finally understanding the situation, he gave Luhan a small but warm “Thank you”, along with a timid yet cheery “Happy to be here”.

“We’ve advanced from an intern-supervisor relationship to being neighbors!  Pretty exciting development, wouldn’t you say?” Luhan grinned slyly at Yixing before making his way back up the hallway, presumably to his own room.

Yixing hummed in response, not seeing Luhan’s sly expression though, as he was still admiring his new room from the doorway.

“Oh, and fair warning!” Luhan chirped before disappearing into a room.  “I tend to walk around half sometimes.  Just thought I’d tell you!”

Yixing shuddered at the mental image that came to mind.