Sound of Music 2/3

Life tales

“Make yourself at home.”

Hyoyeon followed the girl into her house, standing awkwardly in the small space while looking around her surroundings. The house seemed to be clattered with furniture and boxes and whatnots, and there was only limited space to move about.

“Sorry about the mess.”

Tiffany started to pick up random trash, growing aware of the stranger’s opinion about her house. She had not expected anybody in her house, much less initiate an offer. She busied herself with clean-ups, clearing out a space on a single-couch at the far end of the room. It was only when she turned around that she found the blonde still standing in the same position, looking slightly awkward.

“Blue?”

“Hyoyeon.”

Eyebrows raised in confusion.

“Kim Hyoyeon. Blue is my stage name.”

Her head nodded in understanding before ushering the new visitor to take a seat before running to the kitchen and getting glasses of water for them.

“Sorry. I wasn’t exactly expecting somebody to come up here so…”

“It’s fine.”

Tiffany gave another nod before the room flung into silence once more.

“So…” Tiffany’s head jerked up upon the voice. “You live alone.”

It was more of a statement than a question, but wanting to ease off the awkwardness and keep the conversation alive, she wanted to reply but all she could come up with was a soft “yeah”.

Another silence occurred, but this time with the addition of a soft rustling sound coming from the blonde. Tiffany looked at Hyoyeon only to find her fidgeting uncomfortably in her seat, her eyebrows furrowed and teeth biting on her lower lips.

At that moment, the former was almost afraid that Hyoyeon had found her place uncomfortable and would be leaving anytime. A part of her told her that it would not matter since they were practically strangers, yet another part of her wanted her to stay. The reason for wanting her to stay, she herself did not know. The only thing she knew was that there was something about Hyoyeon that makes her want to engulf her into her embrace and hold her there, shielding her from any unwanted problems or burdens.

“Tiffany…”

The said girl gave her attention to her caller, her lips twitching into a small smile, hoping to make the blonde comfortable.

“Can you sing the song again?”

Tiffany blinked her eyes as the soft uncertain voice invaded her brain, momentarily freezing her up. It was rare, no, it was the first time that the young singer was asked to sing a song directly in front of an audience, a single audience who would have her attention solely on her. It would be stressful, no it would be a burden, no, pressure, no…

“If it gives you pressure, then it’s fine. I just felt like listening to it, that’s all.”

Tiffany jolted out of her thoughts once again, her eyes daring to match the disappointed black orbs that had attracted her in the first place. It was then that she realized that the girl was observing her all the time. Her dilemma must have been so obvious for her to even point it out right on the dot. Shaking her head, she stood up wordlessly and walked towards her guitar.

Closing her eyes, she focused her attention on the song. Slowly, strums of the guitar and an accompaniment of a beautiful melodic voice could be heard.

Maeumi yebbeun saramee dwegeyo

Nameul monjeo saenggaghaneun saram dwegeyo

Ummaui sarangui baramdeureul jigyeogalgeyo

Nawa ggoomeul hamggeh namudeon
Nae meoril bisgeojoodeon ummaga saenggagna

As the voice rang out, the silence of the night further enhanced the lonesome and homesick memories. Tears circled around the blonde’s eyes, precious memories of her loving mother flashed by in her head, bringing her through a roller coaster of time travel. The song had touched her heart, reminiscing through memories of her only mother. It hurt her, hurt her so much that she just wanted to curl up and cry. She wished she could, but reality forbade her to do so. She had to move on, learn the ropes of managing a business and settle her quarrelsome family members…

Ummaui sarangui baramdeureul jigyeogalgeyo
Haneobshi boyeojoon sarangmankeum
Ddaseuhan mameul gagilgeyo
Soojoonbeo jajo pyo hyeon mottaejyo oh woah ohh…
Umma jeongmalroh saranghaeyo

By the time it ended, Tiffany found herself brewing with tears too. The song that her father used to sing with her had brought her back to her childhood. Despite having left her since young, Tiffany was glad that she had happy memories to keep. It was enough, at least she believed was enough to last her, to believe that her parents were always in her heart.

Looking up, she found the blonde with her eyes tightly shut, tears constantly rolled down her cheeks. The sight brought a pang to the former’s heart. Despite it not being the first time, Tiffany could sense that the girl was hurting a lot more this time.

Without saying anything, she gently eased herself near the blonde and with two arms circled around her, she gently pulled the crying blonde into her arms, her fingers smoothing up and down her back hoping to pacify her. There, the two girls sat, one in another arms, both reminiscing about their times with their parents.

For the first time in years, the two girls slept on, finding comfort in each other’s embrace.

Ever since that day, Hyoyeon had always gone back to the same place where Tiffany would be singing. At times, the brunette would be singing ballad songs, touching the hearts of many around that place. At other times, she would be singing pop songs, brightening up the faces of many who had been dead tired from a hard day’s work. However, regardless of the genre, Hyoyeon would be the only loyal fan, never failing to turn up at the mini solo concert, and when she was in the groove, people may even be able to catch sight of the dancing queen, moving her body slightly along to the rhythm as the brunette rap and sang. In short, the duo, as most would say, was a pair made in heaven, bringing never ending smiles to the audiences, even though they were still separated by a huge empty space between them.

The routine carried on for weeks, before Tiffany started to notice how the blonde had started to look a lot more exhausted and forlorn, before starting to disappear altogether. It had started with her not appearing on alternate days, before increasing to two to three days and gradually five to six days.

Tiffany was not worried at first, thinking that the blonde was probably busy with life. However, when she ever came to watch her, all she could see was an expressionless face, bloodshot eyes and a tired outer shell. Even when Tiffany was rapping one of a song energetically and with the crowd bouncing to the rhythm with her, the blonde remained motionless, as if oblivious to everything happening around her. It was then that Tiffany felt something was wrong. Despite being simply acquaintance, the huge desire to protect her, to keep her safe from harm still exists very strongly. The former had wanted to reach out to her, to at least talk to her, yet every time before the brunette could finish her songs, the blonde would have slipped away, leaving no traces to be found.

It was only till Hyoyeon had not appeared in the audience for three weeks that Tiffany finally felt that something was amiss and had the greatest urge to search for the missing girl.

However, as she was randomly roaming the streets, sudden thought flashed across her mind.Where would she look for her? There was nothing she knew about the girl except that she loved dancing. Where she usually went, who she hung out with? Tiffany had no idea at all. So how was she going to find that missing blonde?

Depressed at her thoughts, the young singer walked towards the bench and plopped herself onto it. Eyes wondered around as she stared at the hurrying figures along the dark street. Some dressed in office attires, others obviously dressed to kill. Staring blankly into space, Tiffany could only allow her mind to drift, wondering where the blonde could possibly be. It was only till a familiar name was heard that her ears pricked up.

“I heard Blue would be in Club 9.”

“Blue? You mean, the Blue, who has won against Eunhyuk?”

“Yeah. That Blue.”

“But what would she be doing there? I thought Club 9 doesn’t have any dance competition today.”

“I’m not sure about that, but I’m sure there’s some dance action going around as long as Blue is there.”

With that, the two figures quickened their steps towards the mentioned club, leaving Tiffany to her thoughts.

Blue? Isn’t that Hyoyeon’s name? But club? Hyoyeon doesn’t seem that kind who would go to club. Besides, who goes to a club in baggy pants and tank top?

Tiffany shrugged off the thought, her mind already started thinking of other places that the blonde may have gone, but with the limited knowledge of the girl, it was really difficult, especially when Seoul is so big. For the countless time, Tiffany cursed herself.

“Blue is in Club 9 today?”

“Are you sure?”

“Definitely. Who else would go to clubs in just a tank top and baggy pants? Besides, her blonde hair is the easiest to spot.”

“Oh yeah… So I guess we are in another treat for powerful dance moves then.”

Along with the sound of scurrying feet, Tiffany perked up. Baggy pants and tank top, blonde hair, no doubt, it would most probably be the Blue that she had been finding, the Kim Hyoyeon that was nowhere to be found for the past three weeks.

With a newfound determination, the brunette picked herself up and made her way to Club 9.

Club 9, one of the most patronized club in Seoul, famous among the youngsters for its lively atmosphere and where events were organized frequently so that these energetic youngsters could compete against each other while they mingled and drank. In short, everyone was welcome, of course, with the exception of those selling illegal booties such as drugs.

Carefully stepping into the darkness, Tiffany was not surprised to see the place filled with people. Crowds, loud music, disco lights, and bouncers watching the place with hawk-like eyes, definitely the best place to party till sunrise without much worry.

Stepping cautiously as she made her way through dancing youngsters, Tiffany skimmed around the club, hoping to find an empty seat away from the sweaty bodies and annoying pestering men and women.

Spotting one by the end of the bar top towards the darker corner of the dimly lit club, Tiffany considered her chances of being safe there, but on second thought, couples might be having the time of their lives in the dark corner or worse, she could even be dragged off without anybody knowing. Shuddering at the thought, she hesitated. However, before she could make a decision, cheers and screams had already filled the air while crowds of people started pushing past her.

Slightly annoyed yet curious, Tiffany turned to find out what the commotion was about. A big ring was formed in the middle with people as the perimeter, cheering loudly.

Being on the shorter side among the mass horde of people, Tiffany had to squeeze through towards the front in order to see what was happening. As much as she hated to be in the middle of perspiring bodies and strong scent of perfume and cologne, she was unable to contain her curiosity. One step at a time, she inched her way forward, thanking her parents for blessing her for her short and lean structure.

Finally, she was within the front two rows, tip-toeing as she squinted to make sense of the commotion. To her disappointment, there was no one or anything in the middle of the ring. Frowning, she tried to glance around the club, hoping to catch sight of any slightest movement that could hint her of the upcoming event. The crowd had long died down to occasional chatters but still not letting up. Instead, people were still shifting around as more tried to squeeze in. With slight disappointment, she was about to make her way out when the crowd started cheering once more.

“Min! Min! Min! Min! Min!”

A swift turn of her head, just in time to see a flash of light shone down to the left of the stage as a female walked out from what seemed to be the backstage. Dressed in casual shirt and hot pants along with glimmering and shimmering accessories, the female smirked a smug look as she made her way to the left of the stage, taking away the breath of all those present.

Min, as Tiffany believed the name was, is a professional dancer, able to sport a number of different dances, from popping to wacking, ballroom dances, ballet, modern dances etc. Confidently, she stood with her thumb tucked in the sides of her pockets, her eyes staring charismatically at the crowd, while enjoying the constant screams, cheers and whistling.

To push the atmosphere to a higher notch, another flash of light shone down, this time to the right of the stage. Immediately, screams were heard a level higher as the name changed.

“Blue! Blue! Blue! Blue! Blue!”

Almost immediately, another female, dressed in her signature tank top and baggy pants walked out to her side of the spotlight. Sporting the blonde hair, which seemed to highlight her features even more, she stared expressionlessly at the crowd. Though aloof, it seemed that the cold personality had spurred the crowd even more as they continued their cheers.

As for Tiffany, the moment the second female walked out, the former could only in her breath as her eyes took in the sight before her.

Blue, or rather Kim Hyoyeon, the very person she was looking for all the time. Despite the slight disappointment of the blonde unable to spot her among the crowd of people under the lights of the dimmed club, Tiffany could feel her heart beating faster and faster. Though there was not much accessories or make-up or even just dressed in simple tank top, Tiffany still could not peel her eyes of her.

However, before her eyes could feast on the blonde, a blast of music from the speakers had the crowd cheering wildly as Min took the middle of the stage, her body swayed and rocked with the music, almost blending into one while Blue retreated back and out from the spotlight. From graceful and elegant movements, her limbs jumped into a series of popping and locking sequence, causing great cheers from the audience. The dancer’s eyes had maintained eye contact with the audience while showing off her y yet charismatic side of her. Even Tiffany, who knew little about dance, could only say that she was enchanted, amazed at how a petite girl could actually move her limbs like water while jerking them at the right beat.

The crowd cheered as the music came to an end. Screams, chants and whistles filled the air as Min gave a deep bow and a wink before moving off to the side while Blue took over the stage. Spotlight strained on the latter allowing Tiffany to get a closer look. She noted how Blue had looked so lost, so far away. Her eyes seemed to lack of vigor, but that only lasted for few seconds. The moment music blasted out from the speakers, her whole posture changed. As though on fire, the small body jerked into a series of movements, her actions were large and wide as she rode the beats of the music. Waves, popping, locking, wacking and even a bit of b-boying.

Tiffany was enthralled by how the girl had moved. It was something that she had never seen before, at least not from Blue. Granted, she may have guessed that Hyoyeon was a dancer from the way she dressed and how her body would bounce whenever music was played, but never had she thought that her dance would be this powerful, this sharp, this agile. Every action, every movement, it was filled with energy, as though there was a non-stop electricity generator in her body. Tiffany could only watched in awe, her eyes glued to her dance form and her body oblivious to the continuous pushing and squeezing from the audience as they tried to make it to the front row.

Soon, the music came to an end and it took a moment before screams and cheers erupted in the club. The two females were definitely equally paired, yet the second dancer seemed to have won more cheers for many difficult movements that even the boys could deem them as nearly impossible. In terms of skills, Blue definitely won. It only took a moment for a small trophy to be handed to her as she bowed to the crowd before making her way off-stage.

Throughout all these, Tiffany could only watched, her mind unable to function. It was only when the crowd had started to disperse and that she was bumped into roughly that the girl came back from her trance. Glancing around, Tiffany tried to look out for the blonde, but her short height was putting her at a huge disadvantage, not to mention the dimly lit club and the massive horde of people hindering her.

Turning back to the stage, she started to make her way through the dancers overtaking the stage as she walked towards the back stage. Her eyes were on red alert lookout for a certain blonde. Carefully treading, she navigated her way through what seemed to be like thousands of similar rooms, stopping by at each junction to depend on her luck for the ‘right’ way. The only thing that was helping her was the occasional names pasted on some doors, telling her the purposes of the rooms.

“Blue…”

Tiffany muttered under her breath as she continued her hunt. It was nearly thirty minutes since she had roamed the restricted area without permission, yet she was nowhere near finding that certain blonde. Still, she refused to give up. Tiffany was sure she looked nothing like those who worked in the club and was definitely sure that she looked like some lost lamb trying to get her bearings, which she really was. The back rooms were like a maze with each corridor looking so alike. The lost girl was certain that she had walked past the same few corridors repeatedly and would continue to do so if no one was to help her.

“Are you lost?”

Tiffany turned around to find herself face to face with a young lady. Almost immediately, her guards went up as she flashed her a smile.

“I’m kind of lost.”

“What are you looking for? Or who are you looking for?”

Her hand slowly reached up to her head as she scratched it sheepishly.

“I’m actually looking for Blue.”

The girl seemed slightly shocked at the revelation.

“Blue? What’s your business with her?”

“Erm… I’m… I’m her new assistant.”

Frowns from the girl as she stared down at Tiffany, clearly not buying her story.

“Blue did not mention anything about a new assistant. If you are one of those crazy fans, then you are not welcome here.”

A hand gesture in the opposite direction leading to the outside, but Tiffany was not to be beaten yet. After all, she had spent quite some time looking for that blonde, and no way was she going to go back empty-handed. Yet.

“I’m really Blue’s new assistant. I’m Tiffany. You can check with her.”

Eyebrows raised in suspicion before a smirk came onto her face.

“Miss. Everyday, people come to say that they are Blue’s assistant, or manager or cousins or relatives. What makes you think I’ll believe you? Please, the way out is that direction.”

For a moment, Tiffany was at a loss. She had nothing to prove her identity, not that she had one, and she was lost in the maze-like premises. Turning around and disappointed, Tiffany was about to leave when a familiar voice called out to her.

“Tiffany?”

Immediately, her head turned back to face her caller, along with the staff who was still standing there.

“Blue sshi.”

A small bow from the staff and a nod from Blue as the latter made her way towards the duo.

“You know her?”

Another nod came from Blue as she grabbed Tiffany’s hand and led her away from the curious eyes of the staff.

The walk towards wherever they were heading was so quiet that Tiffany was starting to get uncomfortable. The tight grip on her wrist does not seem to be loosening anytime, suffocating her. Yet at the same time, Tiffany was enjoying that firm grasp. It had been sometime since someone held her by her hand, even if it was only her wrist, plus the fact that it was from Hyoyeon made her heart flutter.

The door closed behind her and the grip on her wrist loosened that Tiffany realized she was inside a room, what seemed to be a dressing room. A quick scan around the area confirmed her suspicions. A dressing table, a couch and a few belongings, the last one probably belonged to Hyoyeon.

“So what are you doing here?”

The familiar soft voice entered her ears.

“Erm…”

The brunette could only smile sheepishly as her eyes darted everywhere but the blonde. She cannot possibly say she was here because she wanted to find her, or because she missed her, or because she was worried right?

“I…”

Before she could come out with anything, a phone ringed. Mentally thanking her luck, Tiffany watched as Hyoyeon dug into her trousers for her phone, sighing first before answering.

“I’ll be right there.”

That was all she said before hanging up, and not even waiting for the caller to even speak. Without sparing a glance at Tiffany, the blonde ran out of the room, leaving the former to stare awkwardly at her retreating back. Was she supposed to follow her? Or was she supposed to stay put? Or was she supposed to go home? The brunette could not decide, but curiosity got better of her, hence her feet followed the blonde out of the room and onto the streets.

It had taken them about 10 minutes on foot before the duo reached a huge gate, one after another. Throughout the way, Tiffany maintained her distance, not wanting to create any unnecessary discomfort. Still she felt like a stalker, like she was doing something wrong.

The gate opened and the blonde walked in briskly. Tiffany was about to follow her when the former stopped suddenly and whirled around, catching Tiffany on the spot.

“Work more on your stalking skills next time.”

Without anymore words, the blonde turned back and continued on. For a moment, Tiffany felt like she was a deer caught in headlights and was momentarily stunned. It had taken her a few moments to process what the blonde had said, before deciding that Hyoyeon had not objected to her following; hence in she walked, through the gate and towards the door Hyoyeon had disappeared into.

It was halfway towards the door that shouts erupted from the once quiet house, which caused Tiffany to break into a run.

“Stop it! I said stop it!”

Eyes peeped through the open door and were surprised at the scene. Hyoyeon was standing with her back facing the door; her fists clenched tightly by her side, and in front of her, four people stood staring at her and one sitting on the single couch.

“I told you all to stop pestering halmeoni. She needs her rest.”

“But Hyo…”

“No! I will give up my share and split them equally between the both of you. So stop pestering grandma! She needs her rest!”

“But Hyo, you can’t. You are not of legal age yet. You are only legal to go to clubs and places like that, but in terms of inheritance, you are not of legal age yet.”

Fists clenched tighter and her form was starting to tremble.

“I know, but rest assure, once I’m of legal age in the eyes of the law, I will contact the lawyer to transfer all my properties. Fine?”

The last word came out harsher, which made Tiffany flinched unconsciously. She watched as the four people walked out of the room in separate ways before turning her attention to the trembling form once more.

“Hyoyeon-ah…”

Came a weak and fragile voice.

“Halmeoni.”

The said girl walked towards her only grandmother and kneeled before her.

“I’m sorry…”

The younger bent over and leant her head against the chest of her only grandmother. Her form started to tremble as the youngest buried her head deeper into the oldest and her arms shifted to hug the oldest tighter, as though afraid to let her go while the latter her hair gently.

As Tiffany stared at the scene before her, her eyes started to become watery. She was reminded on how she used to cuddle in her parents’ embrace when she was younger, savoring the warmth, care and concern for her. It was only that time that she felt the strong love from her family. Reminding of her free and easy childhood days when her parents were still around, Tiffany felt a sudden pang piercing into her heart and the sudden urge to protect the seemingly strong yet fragile girl rose within her once again.

“Sorry you had to see that.”

The blonde and brunette were walking towards the nearest bus-stop. The blonde’s eyes were red and puffy from all the tears she had shed, but the brunette was no different. It may not be as bloodshot as the former, but it was still obvious that she had cried.

Tiffany wanted to answer, but decided against it. Perhaps it was better to just keep silent. However, as the silence dragged on, it became relatively awkward and uncomfortable as though there was translucent barrier in between them. Hence, Tiffany did what she thought was best – singing.

Saranghae neol i neukkim idaero
geuryeowattteon hemae-imui kkeut

I sesang sogeseo banbokttoeneun seulpeum ijen annyeong

Sumanheun al su eomneun gil soge huimihan bicheul nan jjochaga

Eonjekkajirado hamkke haneungeoya dashi mannan na-ui segye

- [Into the new world - SNSD]

Slowly, the melodic soft voice rang out in the air, calming the heart and mind of the blonde as a smile appeared on the latter’s face.

As they made their way aimlessly in the night, for the second time, the duo was at peace. Thanks to the music, which connects them both.

-TBC-