A day's coincidence

Life tales

Jessica knew she was quite a sight, dashing down the streets with a handbag dangling and a pile of files in a hand while juggling a cup of coffee and a sandwich in another. Her long brunette hair had been messed up in her frantic rush, sticking along her forehead while her blouse clung tightly to her body. Her struggle was made worse when she was forced to abandon her engine-stalled car and run in her newly bought high heels, which was biting deeply at the back of her feet.

She was so busy balancing with her hands while being disgusted by the feel of perspiration on her face and body as well as the painful blisters at her ankles that one moment she was trying to make sure the hot coffee was not tipping over, and the next, the cup had slipped out of her gasp. She groaned, frustrated at being unable to get her daily dose of much needed caffeine after a burnt out night. Concentrating fully on herself, she made no effort in acknowledging that she had bumped into someone until a hand appeared in front of her. Tilting her head upwards, she finally noticed the outstretched arm. However, she ignored the hand, gathering her things and forcing her body to get up only to plop down on to the ground again. She groaned.

“I will grab those for you.” A new voice entered her ears.

“No thanks.” Jessica started, but stopped when her eyes spotted a blonde head bent forward, busily picking up her dropped files before stacking it neatly and passing them to Jessica.

“Thank you.” She gave a tight smile, unhappy that her words were not heeded.

“You are from P.G. Partners?”

Jessica eyed the blonde carefully, her guard towards the latter increasing by a hundred folds.

“I happened to see one of the papers inside.”

“You flipped through my files?” She sounded harsh and accusing when she could not help it. Those were confidential papers, to be seen by no one and her team. If her boss knew that someone had managed to get access to the files, her head will roll.

“I didn’t. The file landed open on the ground so… It wasn’t intentional and I shut it right after. Didn’t glance at anything else.” The blonde took a step back, raising her hand in surrender position as she explained.

Making a quick check at her files to make sure nothing was missing, Jessica nodded and glanced at her watch. A startled and worried expression appeared on her face as she grabbed her files and dashed off without a word, leaving the blonde to stare after her confused.

“You are late.”

Jessica nodded limply, ignoring the cheeky grins from her colleagues as she made her way towards her table. Slamming the pile of files on it, she sighed, disgusted at her clinging outfits and aching legs.

“You smell.”

“I know…”

“And you walk funny.”

“I’m about to wash up.”

“Had a great time last night?”

“Yeah, with the d*mn files. So shut up.”

“Someone’s cranky.”

“So stop bothering me.” Jessica shot a tired glare at her colleague who simply shrugged.

“I know you need to wash up. Shower in fact, unfortunately, the team has been waiting for you in the room.” Her colleague took a quick glance at his watch. “15 minutes now. So quickly fix your appearance and bring those d*mn files to the boardroom. You don’t want to have another fun night with them.” She rolled her eyes. “Oh and use this.” A bottle of deodorant was placed on her table and she looked up in surprise. “Saves a bit of your dignity. Nowhere near the perfume you ladies use, but it will do, for now.” He gave a wink before walking back to his desk.

Jessica stared after him, surprised and confused by his actions, but when the latter turned back to look at her, tapping on his watch, Jessica jumped. Quickly fixing her hair and adjusting her outfit, she hesitated on using the deodorant but a quick sniff of her body, she decided it would do her more good than harm. After a quick glance around to make sure everyone had their eyes focused on their computer, she gave her body a quick spray before picking up her files and heading to the boardroom, nervous and anxious.

“You are late.” Her superior stated with a voice so calm that she wished he shouted instead.

“I’m sorry.” She bowed, her face looking as apologetic as she could

“You know how important time is as a lawyer? If you missed a session…”

“Yes. I do know how important time is. I promise it will never happen again.” Jessica interrupted, knowing how long that lecture could go on.

“I hope to see so.” He shot a sharp stare towards Jessica, ensuring that his words were clearly heard and digested. “And I hope you do remember that we will be meeting the client in the afternoon. I expect the files and document to be ready to be gone through.”

“Yes I do. I have it all done.”

“And you do remember that the boss is coming in too. I expect you to be on your best behavior.”

She nodded silently, rolling her eyes secretly at the expectant praise-worthy vocabulary she had to force her mind to come up with in front of the boss within the next few hours.

“Alright. Let’s see the files.”

Walking into the canteen, she sighed deeply. Her morning had just gone totally wrong. Apart from being unable to have a usual morning coffee and being forced to run all the way to the office, she had also managed to earn a big scolding from her superior for having the files in the wrong order “that could cost them the case and their client could have gone to jail or worse, hung to death”, as quoted by her superior.

Muttering a thank you, she sipped from her cup, allowing the taste of coffee to slide down . It was nowhere as good as her usual coffee, but she was thankful for the quick fix of caffeine when a shout behind startled her.

“Move out!”

Jessica felt her body being pushed and slammed into a soft surface as a loud crash was heard. For a moment, she was surprised, only to gain back her bearings when a groan was heard beside her. It was then that she realized a person was holding onto her. Immediately, she stood up, releasing her body from the person’s grip.

“Are you alright?” She asked, concerned.

“Yeah, I am.” A familiar voice entered her ears and Jessica frowned at the familiarity. Staring closer at the person, Jessica searched through her memory when a thought struck her.

“You are the person who bumped into me in the morning.”

“Well, I guess so…” The blonde looked up and shrugged.

“How do you know I work here? Are you following me?”

“Well, you worked in P G partners. I’m sure everyone knows where the office is. And no, I’m not following you.”

“Then why are you here? What business do you have here? You're going to report on me for bumping into you?”

“Why not? I’m not following you, not stalking you and definitely not reporting on you…” Jessica looked at the blonde suspiciously. “Well, I technically work here.”

“I have never seen you before?”

“Neither have I. So either you are new or you haven’t been walking around much.” The blonde shrugged. “Whatever it is, I suggest you get back to the office because lunch hour is over.”

Taking a quick glance at her watch, Jessica gasped in surprise before groaning as her stomach growled.

“Go grab some food.”

“I will be late.”

“I’m sure your boss could spare you a five minutes.”

“No thanks. I’m fine.”

Without another word, Jessica walked off, leaving the blonde with an amused smile on her face.

Pressing tightly on her stomach, Jessica groaned in despair. Her gastric was starting to act up and her stomach was growling so loudly that she was sure the whole office could hear her. What was worse was her superior had bailed out on her, forcing her to meet the new client alone and hence she was frantically trying to tidy up her files and document that she had messed up in the morning.

She took a quick glance at her watch, noting that she had ten minutes before the meeting. A quick calculation in her mind and Jessica determined she had enough time to run down to the canteen to grab some food and was about to walk out when the receptionist called out to her.

“Jessica. A Miss Kim is looking for you.”

Jessica groaned at the untimely visit but put on a professional smile as she walked out to meet the visitor. As a blonde head came into her sight, Jessica frowned. She had clearly remembered her superior mentioning that her client was a brunette and was petite in figure. The person in front of her had fit the second criteria but not the first. Perhaps she had dyed her hair. Jessica shrugged as she walked towards the visitor.

“Miss Kim?”

The blonde turned around with a smile.

“Why are you here?” Jessica demanded, though startled.

“Is that how you treat your clients?”

Jessica pursed her lips and clenched her teeth, suppressing the rising anger in her before forcing out a polite smile.

“Sorry, Miss Kim?”

“That’s me?”

“You are here for the 2pm appointment? This way please.”

Without allowing the blonde to say another word, Jessica turned and strutted out towards the meeting room. Reminding herself to be polite, Jessica turned to the blonde, who was looking lost, following behind her.

“Please take a seat. I will bring the files in.”

The blonde walked in and settled down comfortably and expectantly. An amused smile played on her lips as she eyed Jessica through the glass window.

“I am Jessica Jung, the assistant of Fable Tan. He is busy right now, so I’m here to explain about the case to you first. Fable will talk to you about the case in details when he is back.” Jessica started as she opened her files.

“Erm… I don’t think…” The blonde looked uncomfortable.

“If you are worried about the case, there’s nothing to worry about. P G Partners will do its best to win the case.”

“But…”

“My mentor will be the one speaking in the court. He is busy right now, so I’m here in his place to explain the procedures and things to take note. If you are not comfortable speaking about the case to me, I totally understand and will leave you to my mentor.”

Jessica paused, waiting for her client to digest her words. The blonde nodded as she settled down relaxingly in her seat. Jessica frowned at the sight. It had seemed weird for her client to be this comfortable and relax, considering the situation she went through, but Jessica shrugged it off as she began her speech.

“So, that’s all for the procedures. Do you have any questions about it?” Jessica folded her arms and placed them on the table, looking straight at the silent blonde who seemed to in a trance.

“Miss Kim.” The blonde looked at her. “Do you understand the procedure? Do you need me to repeat again? Or is there anything you do not understand?”

The blonde shook her head, looking relief.

“So is there any questions you would like to know?”

“Aren’t you hungry?” Jessica looked taken aback at the question as the blonde continued. “I just thought you might want a sandwich, since your stomach was growling throughout the presentation. If I were the client, you would have made a bad impression.”

Jessica flushed red at the comment but her expression turned into a surprised one at the last statement.

“If you were the client? Aren’t you Miss Kim?”

The blonde grinned. “Yup, Miss Kim, that’s me. But I believe my name is Kim Hyoyeon, and not Kim Taeyeon.”

“Then where is Kim Taeyeon?”

The blonde shrugged. “How am I supposed to know? That’s your client, not mine.”

“Then who are you?”

Hyoyeon was about to speak when the door barged open and a man dashed in, panting.

“I’m sorry, Miss Kim. I had not expected you to come so early. I would have pushed back my appointments if I knew.”

“That’s why I said in the afternoon. If I gave you a specific time, what I would see would be different from what the office was supposed to look like usually. Be glad that I gave you a date but you still had to leave during office hours?”

“I was out with a client.”

“So leaving your disciple with a new client, who had suffered from…” Hyoyeon took a glance at the open file on the table. “Female ual abuse? So you are leaving your female client with your female disciple alone? What makes you think that your client would not be afraid of being alone with another female?” Hyoyeon stared straight at the man who glanced towards the floor as Jessica watched, bewildered by the exchange.

“It better be true that you met a client and not be doing some personal business. I’m pretty sure my dad wouldn’t be happy if he hears about this.” Hyoyeon paused. “Even if you are one of the best lawyers we have around.

“Yes, Miss Kim.”

Hyoyeon nodded before turning her attention towards Jessica.

“Now that you are here? Would you like to make some introduction?”

“Jessica Jung, my disciple. She is on internship and will be graduating after that. Jessica, Miss Kim Hyoyeon, daughter of Mr Kim Hyunwook.”

“That’s…” Jessica gasped at the revelation, eyeing the lady.

“Yup to whatever you are thinking about.”

“How do you know what I’m thinking about?” Jessica retorted, frowning.

Hyoyeon shrugged as she turned towards the man. “Now that introductions are done. You might want to find out what happened to your client, Miss Kim Taeyeon. Apparently, your disciple doesn’t seem to have seen her before, despite it being the fourth meeting. That’s not exactly helpful for her internship if she is excluded from meetings with client.”

“Yes Miss Kim.” The man nodded as he gave a glance at Jessica before walking out. By then, Jessica had already gathered her files and was about to walk out of the room when she was called back.

“Have a sandwich first. I don’t want my dad’s employees to look bad in front of your real client.” Hyoyeon shoved a sandwich into the lady’s palm and walked out of the door.

Ending the day with a happy note, Jessica skipped out of the office building, happy to finally go home and rest.

“I seemed to be meeting you quite often today.”

Jessica screamed at the sudden voice and slapped the person on the shoulder.

“And you seem to have quite a strong slap for a small person.”

Upon taking closer look, Jessica realized that it was the same blonde who had been hunting her throughout the day.

“Why are you still here? Didn’t you leave long ago?”

“Didn’t I tell you I work here?”

“Well, clearly not at P G Partners.”

“Not there. Just somewhere around her.” Hyoyeon swiveled her finger in random directions. “I would die if I had to wear a skirt and heels to work.”

Jessica glanced at her outfit, frowning. “What’s wrong with it?”

“Nothing. Just not my kind of outfit.” Hyoyeon smiled, walking ahead of Jessica. It was then that she noticed the tank top and baggy outfit. It made the blonde looked petite, yet showing off her toned arms at the same time. Jessica could not imagine herself in the same outfit. It had been ages since she had worn a pair of baggy pants.

“I know I’m hot, but there’s no need to stare at me for so long.”

Hyoyeon turned back with a cheeky grin on her face, causing Jessica to blush in embarrassment as the latter ran to catch up and smack the blonde playfully on her arms.

“As far as I can remember, I am your boss and you are an employee. In fact, a student on internship. What makes you think you can smack me? Have you seen an employee hitting their boss?” Hyoyeon threw a threatening glare.

For a moment, Jessica froze, afraid that the blonde would take revenge till Hyoyeon burst out in laughter.

“You should have seen your face. You look so hilarious.” Jessica smacked Hyoyeon on her shoulder once more before the blonde stopped and gave a glance at the lady and rubbing her shoulder. “Whatever it is, go home and sleep. You looked exhausted. I prefer seeing a fresh and bright employee in the office. It will be good for my eyes and mind and I will be in a better mood.”

The blonde skipped off, leaving the blonde flushing red for a moment before a loud “yah” rang out.

Slumping into the sofa, Jessica closed her eyes, willing her mind and body to sleep when her phone rang. Throwing her phone under a cushion, she ignored it, only for it to stop and ring again. Frustrated, the tired lady dragged her body towards her phone, picking it up.

“What takes you so long to pick up the phone?” A loud voice boomed out through the receiver. Lifting the phone away from her ear slightly, Jessica waited for the voice to die down before answering.

“Sleeping.” She drawled, her eyes closing.

“Yah. Don’t sleep yet. It’s Friday.”

“So?”

“So? Some time to have fun.”

“Tired.”

“You can spare tonight and have the weekend sleeping.”

“Lazy.”

“I’ll fetch you from your house and back.”

“No.”

“Come on… There’s this new bar opened in the city and I heard they are giving out free drinks.”

“No.”

“There are performances too.”

“No.”

“It’s going to be fun.”

“Girlfriend.”

“She’s working tonight. Or I wouldn’t be calling you. There are only events for tonight, plus she said I could only go if you are going. Please…”

“No.”

“But I’m your best friend.”

“So?”

“I will go shopping with you whenever you want. I promise.”

“No.”

“Please… I will not bug you next week if you go out with me today.”

“Promise?”

“Promise. I will pick you up in an hour.”

Entering the club, Jessica was quickly irritated by the noise and loud booming of music. Quickly, she made her way towards the bar, ditching her friend. Settling down on the bar top, Jessica took a quick glance around, making sure her friend stayed within her sight. The both of them would be in deep trouble if her girlfriend found out her friend had been making out or grinding against some people.

After making sure that her friend was safe, Jessica turned back to the bar, sipping her drink as her mind started straying away towards a certain blonde. Meeting the same person once or twice would be coincidence, but thrice, four times? Was that too much of a coincidence? She frowned at the thought. But then, the blonde worked near her and also happened to be her boss’s daughter. It was just coincidence that they happened to meet each other. Besides, her internship was about to end, they probably would not see each other anymore, coincidence or not. Jessica shrugged at the thought and downed her drink in a shot.

“It’s quite funny that I’ve been seeing you everywhere isn’t it?” Jessica jumped, startled at the closeness of the voice.

“Do you always have to jump when you hear me? The last time I checked, my voice isn’t creepy or anything.”

“Yeah, but you are. I’m seeing you everywhere today. Are you sure you are not stalking me?”

“The last time I checked, I have been here since two hours ago while you just walked into the club. So who’s stalking who?”

Hyoyeon ginned cheekily, causing Jessica to slap her on her arm.

“Stop slapping me. I’m going to have bruises.” Hyoyeon pouted as she rubbed her arm.

“Then stop making fun of me.”

“Last time I checked, I was just flirting?”

“Flirting? So this is how you get girls?”

“Erm… Maybe.” Hyoyeon shrugged, taking a glance towards the stage and caught sight of her friends calling to her. “I’ve got to go. Make sure you stay till 9pm before you leave. You won’t regret it.”

Hyoyeon shot Jessica a grin before running off. Watching the petite back, Jessica smiled. For the first time in years, she could feel her heart fluttering.

“Ladies and gentlemen! For our last performance, welcome the Dancing Machines.”

Loud cheers and applause rang out in the air, heating the club to its maximum. Jessica took a glance at the clock. 9pm. She turned back to the stage, remembering the blonde’s words.

The light shone down the middle, a man stood in the middle, popping and locking to the rhythm. Slowly, other dancers, showcasing their powerful and synchronizing movements with ease, then joined him. The crowd roared at the slick movements, hyping up the night when all of a sudden, the music stopped. For a moment, the crowd was lost, everyone staring at each other blankly, wondering what was happening.

As sudden as the music stopped, it started once more with the light shone in the middle of the crowd. Immediately, the onlookers parted, giving space for the lone girl powerfully break-dancing to the beat. The crowd turned wild, cheering, clapping and whistling with their might. Jessica stared wide-eyed, unable to believe that the girl she had met during the day could dance to such a sick music, without missing a beat or messing a move. Throughout the whole performance, Jessica stayed glued to the dance, her brain unable to process or utter a single word.

“You look like you’ve just seen a ghost.”

Hearing the soft husky voice beside her, Jessica closed , composing herself as she turned to face the blonde.

“So, how was the dance?”

“Good.” Jessica gulped, drowning a shot.

“Just good?” The blonde pouted. “I was pretty sure you stared at me throughout the performance.”

“I wasn’t. I was staring at your crew too. Everything. Everything.”

“For a lawyer, you don’t seem to talk that fluently.” Hyoyeon teased. “At least, not in broken English. Pretty sure my dad wouldn’t hire such a lawyer who could not even speak a decent sentence.”

Jessica frowned, turning to Hyoyeon, a disappointed look on her face.

“But then again, considered how you explained the whole lot of complicated procedure so clearly, I’m starting to think if you only did that in front of me.”

“No, I…”

“But I’m glad. See you again, hopefully, somewhere that is not in the office.”

With that, Hyoyeon placed a few bills on the table, walking off and leaving Jessica to gawk at her back.

Two figures cuddled under the blanket, their eyes glued right at the screen as the rolling credits appeared. Only then did they heave a sigh of relief, massaging their aching muscles after watching an intense movie without moving for the two hours.

“Aren’t you glad that we didn’t end up like them?”

“That was just sad. I thought they would end up together. They kept meeting each other everywhere.”

“But too bad, the intern just had to fall in love with her boss’s son.”

A figure moved to face the other.

“You should be glad that it was the boss’s daughter who fell in love with the intern and that the boss’s daughter is not only pretty, but also carefree and outgoing who does not care about status.”

“Are you trying to praise yourself?”

The blonde shrugged, a nonchalant grin appeared on her face.

“Can’t help if it’s the truth.”

Jessica rolled her eyes.

“But unfortunately, the intern became a successful lawyer and had a blissful family.”

“Luckily, the boss’s daughter was smart enough to foresee the future and secure the intern before she could fly into another company or another man’s arm. At least the boss’s daughter is a lot smarter than that boss’s son.”

Jessica rolled her eyes once more, slapping Hyoyeon’s arm, in which the latter winced in pain.

“But seriously, I’m now hoping that the then intern would stopping slapping the boss’s daughter because it’s getting really painful and the pain is not worth keeping that intern.”

“What are you trying to say?” Jessica smiled widely, but the threat seen in her eyes was enough to warn Hyoyeon to tread carefully.

“Nothing? Just trying the boss’s daughter soon-to-be wife and successful lawyer that it’s time to sleep. You have court tomorrow.”

Hyoyeon stood up, arms reaching out towards Jessica and pulling her into a side-hug as the duo walked up the stairs, thankful for the fateful meetings in that day.

Once or twice, it could be coincidence, three, four times or even five, it must be fate.

-END-

 

A/N: I did say I was coming back soon with a Hyo-otp story. Is this soon enough? :D With this one-shot, I think I should have cleared the HyoSic requests. Who's next? Look forward to the next update. See you soon. Till then...