Starting over 4/5

Life tales

Walking into her office as usual, Taeyeon was surprised by the sight of a bouquet of flowers sitting prettily on her table. Orchids, her favourite.

Picking it up, she inhaled deeply, savouring the smell of the fresh flowers before searching for a card. However, there was none. Still, she had a good idea on who the giver was. Placing them into a temporary vase made of a water bottle; she gently placed it on her desk, taking extra cautions to not place anything near it.

Settling into her day’s routine, she started reading through her files, hoping to get most of her work done before the kids got up when a head peered through the door, gaining her attention.

“Am I interrupting you?” Taeyeon looked up, a ready smile on her face as she shook her head, indicating for him to enter. “You look busy.”

“I was just trying to get some work done before the kids wake up. Anything I can help you with?”

Max entered the room, settling comfortably into the chair as he looked around.

“I guess this is probably my first time entering your office. It seems nice. Warm and cozy.”

“Thank you. I guess I like it that way.” Taeyeon flashed a small smile before glancing to her files. “So is there any matter? I don’t think there’s dance lessons today.”

“I was just around the area and thought I would drop in to say hi.” His eyes darted away from her sheepishly and caught sight of the flowers on her desk. “I see that you’ve received the flowers. Do you like it?”

That got Taeyeon’s attention as she looked at him in confusion. “You sent it?”

“I did.I asked Hyoyeon sunbaenum what your favourite flowers were since he seemed pretty close to you.”

“And he told you?”

Max nodded. But Taeyeon did not seem relieved at the answer; instead she felt her heart sink. The first person that came to her mind was Hyoyeon, yet he was telling others the kind of flowers she liked. She knew, he knew that Max was interested in her. So was that a sign that he was not attracted, nor interested in her anymore? She smiled bitterly. it was an one-sided love after all.

Hyoyeon dropped by days later to take over the dance lesson, but Taeyeon was done being attracted to him. All day, she maintained her distance and avoided any form of contact, much to Hyoyeon’s confusion. It was only after the dance lessons that the children went for their nap did Hyoyeon managed to corner her in her office.

“Why are you avoiding me?” The voice was soft, but Taeyeon could detect the anger and frustration.

“I’m not.”

”You have been avoiding me all day. Am I being an inconvenience here?”

No! She had wanted to blurt out. If anything, she ws more than glad to see him, be around him and hearing him laugh.

“Are you dating Max?” His sudden question caught her by surprise.

“No.”

“He is chasing you, isn’t he?” His eyes caught sight of the orchids on her desk. “He even asked me for the kind of flowers you like.”

“And you told him.”

“Yes I did.” Hyoyeon nodded. “Did you like it?”

Taeyeon paused, looking up briefly. She was not sure how to answer the vague question, confused whether it referred to Max, the flowers or that Max sent her flowers. Either way, it was a dangerous question. Hence, she chose to keep silent, but no matter what her answer was, Hyoyeon would have taken it the wrong way.

“I guess you do.” Hyoyeon chuckled bitterly. “It should be a long time since anyone gave you flowers, unless you dated in the past year. Max, he is a good man. He will treat you well.” Better than I ever had.Hyoyeon had wanted to add, but that would destroy his pride.

“Is that what you want?” Taeyeon spoke softly and looked up, tears b in her eyes. It seemed like goodbye, that Hyoyeon was placing her in someone’s care. Did he not care about her anymore?

“You will be happy.” Came the reply. A flash of pain crossed his eyes, but was expertly masked by the stoic expression within a second.

“I will.” She choked.

Since that day, Taeyeon never saw the dance teacher anymore. While a part of her was relieved that her source of tension was not around, she was missing him as well. A lot. The way he had barged into her life unannounced, the way he had stirred her feelings unknowingly, the way he had made her doubt if she could ever move on from him.

But he had accepted a job in America for three months. Max had told her when she asked, albeit casually. Her heart had sank to pits bottom at the news and she was moody for three whole days, by the courtesy of her kids who told her right in her face that she was looking like that old teacher in her fifties who never fail to scowl or frown at the kids. At that moment, she did not know whom she hated more. Hyoyeon for being able to leave her without saying anything or her, for being this affected when they were in fact nothing but strangers.

Three months. She had thought. It was enough for her to get over him. It had to be, it will be enough. She was determined. If she were able to get over him before, then she would be able to get over him again. He wanted her to be happy, so she will be happy.

Three months flew by faster than she ever thought, and she had to proudly say that she had failed her mission the moment he stepped into her sight with a brand new appearance. Brunette hair, broader shoulders, slimmer and fitter, a boyish smile and the same twinkling eyes. She had in her breath and did a double take on the man, but despite the changed appearance, the awkwardness and tension between them remained.

“Hi.” He started first.

“Hi.” She tried to smile, though awkwardly and shyly. “Did you just arrive back in Korea?” An eyebrow rose at her question. “Max told me.”

“Oh. Yeah. I just came back three days ago.” He flashed a sheepish smile. “Thought I could come here to see if anyone missed me.”

Taeyeon smiled shyly, her gaze casted downwards when she noticed a shiny band on his fourth finger on the left hand. Almost immediately, her smile disappeared and a frown appeared. She could feel the disappointment to know that he was attached or possibly married, while here she was, still feeling her heart beating faster just by the sight of the man.

“The kids might miss you.” She tried to divert her attention. “They have been asking for you the past three months.”

“I know. Max told me.”

“He has been in contact with you?”

Hyoyeon nodded. “Yeah. Most of the time. He tells me what happened here and how much the kids missed me and stuff.” Hyoyeon flashed a smile. “It made me miss it so much here that I almost regretted leaving.”

“Then why did you leave?” Taeyeon blurted out, only to cover mouth and mutter a soft apology. “You can choose not to answer me if you don’t want to.”

The silence was deafening. Though part of Taeyeon was anticipating his answer, she did not want to know either. She was afraid it might be something that was related to that particular band on his finger. It would shatter her heart, so much that she might not be able to recover the second time.

“Because I had to.”

-TBC-