Wanted

Life tales

Wails of sirens wailed continuously, disrupting the peace in the city as vehicles sped down the road at lightning speed. Luckily it was late in the night and there were few cars on the road or the men in blue would have more problems on their hands. Loudspeakers cackled as yells emitted from it, directing it to a particular bright red car that stood out from the rest of vehicles that were of similar dull colours.

When the cars reached a deserted highway, gunshots started to ring out, the bullets flying mindlessly back and forth when all of a sudden, bright headlights flashed directly into the car, shortly blinding the occupants in it.

“Sh*t!” The car swerved violently to the side, crashing through the center divider. The car flipped over several times before landing on its hood. Seconds later, the car exploded into a huge ball of flames.

---

Stretching her arms lazily, she winced at the intrusion of the sunlight as her eyes glanced at the clock beside her. 7.45am. It was still early and she felt rested, considering the five hours of sleep she had. She yawned, attempting to close her eyes when the door barged open and a girl bounced in.

"Unnie! It's time for breakfast." She groaned into her pillow, unhappy that her plan of falling back asleep was disrupted.

"Unnie! It's French toast, bacon and egg today. Your favourite." The girl cheered, clapping her hands in delight.

"Then why aren't you eating downstairs?"

"Because unnie says we are not to eat until you are down. Or else you will sleep till afternoon."

She groaned, frustrated at how easily that sister of the girl could manipulate her, knowing how persistent the younger one was.

"Fine. I'm up." She sat up in her bed, throwing her blanket aside and swinging her legs onto the ground. She turned to the girl, expecting the latter to bounce out of the room as she usually would the moment she sat up, instead, she found herself face to face with the girl who was staring back at her expectantly.

"I'm up. So why are you here? Shouldn't you be helping your unnie?"

"Unnie said I've to watch you go to your washroom and wait for you to come out or you will just lie back down and fall asleep." The girl replied with a bright smile.

She groaned once more, mentally strangling and stabbing the older sister in her head yet cursed herself for falling prey into the sisters. No doubt she was grateful, thankful and would repay with all her life, but the price to pay was too big. Routine schedules, freedom, curfew, no partying, no drinking, no smoking etcetera. She sighed. The exact things that she could do with at that moment.

"Unnie why are you groaning and sighing? Does your head hurt?"

And that brat. She sighed once more, before forcing a smile and shaking her head.

"I’m going to wash up now. So tell your unnie I'll be down in five minutes."

The girl gave a quick okay sigh with her fingers as she jumped off the bed, running out of the room. Watching the girl scampered off; she broke into a small smile. Despite all the rules and restrictions, no doubt it made her uncomfortable at first, but she had slowly gotten used to the lifestyle and the younger girl had certainly made her stay brighter and merrier with her constant smile and jokes.

Sliding off the bed, she made her way into the washroom, peeling off her clothes as she went. She passed by the mirror and stopped to look at her reflection. The stitches were not as visible as before, her bruises had long healed, her scars were not that prominent but the grafted skin on her stomach and legs were a reminder that something major had happened in her life, something that she was not sure if she regretted.

---

An aroma drifted into her nose as she allowed it to settle in her lungs, arousing a growl from her stomach. Following the scent, she entered the kitchen where she caught sight of a plate in front of an empty seat and two girls eating heartily. In a good mood that day, she sat at her seat as she eyed the youngest, who was stuffing with food.

"Didn't you say you were going to wait for me?"

The girl cutely shook her head, her teeth chewing continuously.

"Or were you just lying to me this morning?" She continued, wriggling her fingers at the girl who squealed.

"I didn't say it. Unnie is the one who said it." The youngest pouted.

"But I heard it from you."

"Unnie told me to say it."

"So you admit that you are the one who said it?"

"Yes... No... Yes..." The girl tried to gather her thoughts frantically.

"So yes or no? You know what happens when you lie." She wriggled her fingers once more, quicker this time.

"Yes. But unnie told me to. If you want to tickle, tickle her." The younger girl widened her eyes into an innocent look as she pointed to her sister beside her. Sporting an evil yet mischievous look, she turned to the older sister, slowly advancing towards her when a soft yet commanding voice froze her advance.

"Yoona. Eat your breakfast."

Yoona slumped back in her sear, her head bowed innocently as she continued stuffing the breakfast in silently, leaving the girl in an awkward position.

“Are you still angry with me?” She asked meekly, half afraid of the lady.

“No.”

“Then why aren’t you talking to me?”

“Like what?”

“Anything.”

“I’ve got nothing to say.”

Not wanting to make the situation worse, she clenched her fingers and teeth tightly, having to use all her will to refrain from firing faster than her brain.

“Tiffany…” She started, only to clamp shut with a quick glare as Tiffany walked out of the kitchen without a second glance. She sighed at the failed attempt as she turned her gaze towards the youngest who was eating heartily, totally oblivious to the tension between the two girls.

---

“Are you really going to ignore me the whole day?”

Jessica started once more, frowning as she struggled to keep pace with the two girls before her. Ever since an accident that nearly cost her life, Jessica had to endure occasional pain and stiffness in her legs. The metal pole attached to her bones was a reminder that she was not to exert too much force or tire her legs out, hence her slower movement.

“Tiff-“ Jessica was cut off abruptly when Tiffany turned to face her with a glare that mirrored anger and confusion.

“Are you hiding something from me?”

The suspicion was no doubt from her tone and the girl waited, unexpectedly patient while Jessica froze, feeling a chill running down her spine as her body temperature dropped. Ice was starting to freeze up in her brain despite the constant push to get it working. Finally, she thought. What was meant to come will come in the end.

---

Birds chirped merrily outside the window, paying no heed to the gloomy atmosphere in the room. A figure lay on the bed, eyes closed and unmoving.

It had been days since anyone had stepped in or out of the room, not even Yoona who used to bug her every morning. In fact, the whole house was silent. Gone was the loud bickering of the sisters, the cheerful laughter of the youngest, or even the droning voice of the news anchor on television. The place seemed vacant, with her as the only resident.

She sighed, staring at the ceiling, fleeting thoughts flying through her mind. She frowned, wondering how she had even got into the predicament. Beside her was a piece of newspaper, dated few days back and opened at the very page she wanted to pretend it had never existed. But no, she could not, not when she had been found out, not when she had people chasing after her, not when the sisters’ safety had been compromised.

She sighed once more. If it was the past her, she would not even bother to explain; yet now, she was tempted to share her story. However, her brain had chosen to malfunction, giving her the craziest and weirdest ideas she knew she would never have conceived if not for a particular girl, or sisters. She scoffed.

---

Wearing a mask, a cap and a trench coat in the scorching hot weather was no joke. In fact, she had wondered why she was doing such ridiculous stuff in the first place. To avoid attention. She thought before scoffing. It had instead brought on way more attention than she needed. People will definitely take notice, thinking of her as a lunatic who wore such thick coat during summer. At least, it hid her identity, she hoped.

“Morning Doctor Seo.” She greeted, her voice tired and dull.

“You do know that the trench coat might be the very item that will expose your identity.”

Jessica smiled wanly, slumping into her usual seat before the doctor. Of course, the doctor knew. It was printed as big as it could possibly be, and by deriving a conclusion, it was easy to figure out.

“You looked tired.”

“I am.”

“Over thinking again?”

“Maybe?”

“Care to tell me?” Seohyun leaned in forward, her file wide opened and a pen grasped within her fingers, ready to jot down any detail provided.

Jessica spared a glance towards her before looking away with a faraway stare. For minutes, the room was silent apart from the humming of the air-con and the ticking of the clock.

“She found out.” Jessica paused, sneaking another peek at the doctor for any response, but the latter was calm, still waiting for her to continue. “She refused to talk to me until I tell her what I was involved in.”

“And are you going to?”

“No? Yes? I don’t know.” Jessica paused, thinking deeply. It took her a moment before she regained speaking. “I should. At least, I think I still owe her an explanation, but I’m not sure if I can or-“ She trailed off, hesitation clouded in her eyes.

“Have you ever tried talking to her about yourself?” Jessica raised her eyebrow at the question. “Or answering her questions about you with a longer answer than ‘okay, I’m fine’?”

Jessica frowned, pondering hard before muttering a hesitant ‘no’.

“Why not?” Seohyun pressed on, figuring she could get something out from her tight-lipped patient.

“Maybe,” Jessica casted her eyes downwards, her fingers fidgeting nervously. “I’m not sure how to start? I’m not sure if she will be willing to listen? Or I’m not sure what will happen if she knows too much? Will she be harmed? Will she keep Yoona away from me? Will they hate me if they know who I exactly am? Will they turn me over to the police? Will she ask me to leave? If I leave, where will I go? What will I do? Heck! I don’t even know what has happened to me! I’m not even like that before!”

Jessica screamed her frustration, her clenched fists pounding on the sides of her chair repeatedly while Seohyun looked on calmly, jotting a few notes in her file before closing it. The latter waited patiently for Jessica to calm down before speaking, choosing her words carefully.

“Have you ever thought that what if Tiffany already knew?” Jessica looked at the doctor in surprise. “Have you ever wondered if Tiffany was just waiting for you to confess? Your face is literally all over the newspapers and I’m sure Tiffany would have seen it and with the details of the crime and possible injuries, there is a high possibility that she had guessed.” Seohyun paused, allowing the information to sink in Jessica’s brain before continuing. “Perhaps by not telling her, you are actually putting the sisters in greater harm.”

---

Kicking the stone with her feet, Jessica wandered around, her mind replaying the words from the doctor. Even by revealing her frustration to the doctor, Jessica felt as though a layer of skin was peeled off her, leaving an uncomfortable feeling but the fact that she felt a lot better after talking to the doctor irked her even more. She was not used to being like this, not used to talking to people about herself, not used to hanging around people for a long time. It will make her weak, her mentor used to say. Feelings and emotions make people weak.

She frowned, feeling the energy drained from her when a strange yet familiar gruff voice called out to her.

“Jessica Jung?”

She looked up in confusion before a name clicked in her brain. She widened her eyes in surprise, stunned by the sudden existence of the man.

“Missed me?”

The man walked towards her slowly with a group of boys behind him followed. Despite the seemingly bright smile on the leader’s face, anyone who saw would know they were a force not to reckon with.

“Park Hyunjoong?”

“Glad that you remember my name.” The man stopped a slight distance away with his hands tucked in his pockets leisurely. “It had been a long time, isn’t it?” He gave the lady before him a quick scan, smirking. “You seemed a lot better though. The two sisters must have fed you well. Pretty too, aren’t they, especially the older one?”

Jessica tensed at the mention of the sisters, worrying for them as her eyes scanned around quickly for an escape route. As if expecting her next step, the group of boys behind Hyunjoong spread around, trapping her in the center.

“You hurt them, you are dead.” Jessica gritted her teeth, her eyes shooting lasers at the man, only to receive a wide smile showcasing a row of blackened decay teeth.

“Pretty ladies they are. We can’t do much with the younger one, but I’m sure the older one would serve nicely in one of our homes.”

“I will kill you.”

“With that broken legs of yours? What makes you think you are even able to beat my boys?” Hyunjoong stepped back, enjoying the fury from the lady. “If you are worried for your pretty girl, you are always welcome to join her in the home. There are always space for pretty ladies like both of you, and when her sister grows up-“

“Shut up!” Jessica clenched her fists, staring straight at Hyunjoong. Her muscles tensed, ready for any sudden attack or defense. “What do you want?”

“You do know what I want.”

“I don’t know where it is.”

“Then who knows? Jessica, Jessica, you are the only one who managed to escape from the burning car. If not you, then who else has the bag?”

“You think I would even have the time to grab the bag while fleeing for my life?”

“I don’t know. All I know is that I want the bag with everything inside intact. How you get it is done of my concern. That was the deal before isn’t it?”

Hyunjoong shifted back, taking a cigarette from his pocket and lighting it. Puffing out smoke, he watched as Jessica seethed in anger before him. It had been a long time since he had gained the upper hand and he would definitely enjoy the defeat of the young lady.

---

"Tiffany?" A cautious step into the living room, only to be stunned by the messy living room. Cushions lay messily on the floor, magazines strewn everywhere, furniture were flipped over and drawers were ransacked.

"Yoona?" Worry laced in her voice as she yelled, her senses on red alert for anything suspicious. "Fany!"

Silence greeted her. She frowned, picking up a bat as making her way carefully towards the bedroom, expecting the worst while praying for the sisters' safety.

Pushing open the first door she saw, she was greeted by an empty and neat room. Letting out a breath of air she held unknowingly, she turned around and headed for the next room, her fingers clenched around the bat with increased pressure.

Twisting the knob, she pushed open the door, catching sight of two figures by the bed. She heaved a sigh of relief seeing the sisters safe and sound.

"Tiffany?" Her voice croaked, breaking the peaceful silence. Yet she was not answered. Silence reigned in the room as Tiffany continued to pat the sleeping Yoona in her arms, who clung on tightly to her. Not wanting to disturb, she her heels and left.

---

"Yoona cried."

Jessica looked up as the older sister took a seat beside her. Within the hour that Tiffany was in the room with Yoona, Jessica had taken the liberty to clean up the mess in the living room. The least she could do, after all she was the one who invited all this mess.

"She refused to sleep alone."

Jessica listened, keeping shut. There was nothing she could say apart from apologizing, but she was pretty sure that was not the reply Tiffany wanted. It was because of her that the sisters were met with danger.

"But she also refused to give your whereabouts away."

Jessica bit her lips guiltily. Eyes casted down, she was ashamed to even show her face.

"Thank you." She paused, looking up momentarily to convey her sincere feelings. "And sorry."

A soft resigned sigh did not escape from her ears and Jessica could feel the guilt in her increasing by the second. She knew she should provide an explanation yet she could not, not when her feelings were still messed up.

"You know that is not what I want to hear." Tiffany replied softly, weariness in her voice.

"I'll be leaving."

"Jessica-"

"What happened today will not happen again,” Jessica paused emotionlessly.

“And the best way is to leave?” Jessica nodded, looking away. She could literally hear Tiffany’s loud breathing, an effort to contain her anger she believed. “Don’t you think you owe us an explanation?”

“I will make sure they will never come and disturb you both again.” Jessica stood up, walking towards the door that had been her room for the past few months.

“Tell Yoona, I’m sorry.”

---

It had been days. Weeks even since she left the house, and here she was, cuddled under the bridge, shivering with just thin layers of clothes and pieces of cardboards as her shelter. She coughed. The weather was getting colder and it was days like this when she would miss the comfort of the bed, the warmth of being indoors, the contact of human. She groaned, shaking the infesting thoughts from her head.

As much as she wanted to return, she could not, not when people from both sides of the law were hunting her. Apparently, word had spread that she was in town and was hoarding a bag of money that worth millions. The black sides wanted the money; the white sides wanted to put her to justice. She could not risk their safety. Jessica groaned. Times like this made her wished she had just died in the accident few months before, but on second thoughts, she would not have met the sisters; people who did not judge her based on her appearance or background. They had nursed her back to health, not asking a question about her injuries. She scoffed. They were naïve, yet it warmed her heart knowing there were people like them out there.

“Jessica unnie?” Her ears perked up at a familiar voice, looking up in fear that she was discovered. However, to her relief, the girl had not spotted her, instead the sentence was directed to another taller and older lady who was holding her hand. The duo was standing in front of a lamp post, on which her picture, she believed, was pasted. Indeed, the next question from the younger confirmed her suspicion.

“Unnie, why is Jessica unnie’s picture up there? Are people looking for her?”

Jessica tensed, waiting for the worst reply. After her walk out from the older lady, Jessica knew the latter was furious at her, disappointed even, but there was nothing she could do. She could not bear to stay on longer, not when she was endangering them, not when a new feeling was growing within her.

“Yeah. She is missing.”

“Missing?”

She could see the raised shoulders of the older before they slumped down.

“Yes Yoona. Missing, like how you see people putting notices for missing dogs and cats?”

“So Jessica unnie is lost?” The older nodded. “But she was staying with us before?”

“Yoona.” The older squatted down, facing the younger. “Jessica unnie said she had something to do, so she left and she asked us to keep it a secret. So you can’t tell anyone that unnie was staying with us before. Okay?”

“Like a secret mission?”

“Yes Yoona. A secret mission. So you can’t tell anyone. Okay?”

“Okay.” The younger nodded as the sisters walked away.

Jessica could almost tear up with guilt. From the various news about her, Tiffany should have known, or guessed that she was part of the bank robbery months ago. She could have told the truth to Yoona, to diminish all hopes Yoona have of her, yet she did not. She sighed. The growing feeling inside her previously was renewed at the older’s actions.

She was about to look away from the sisters, denying the uncertain new feelings in her when a loud gruff laughter caught her attention. She looked up, catching sight of a group of boys forming a circle. She frowned, her first thought being the sisters. Squinting her eyes, she managed to catch a glimpse of Yoona’s backpack that she sprang into action.

Ignoring the forming headache and the heaviness of her limps, Jessica ran with her might. It was only when she was getting near to the group that she slowed down and steadied her breathing.

“Didn’t I tell you guys to stop bothering them?” Jessica lowered her voice, half hoping that it would sound menacing.

“Oh Jessica. It’s great to see you.” She could almost puke at the tooth grin the leader was giving her. “I just thought they might happened to know where you were, and indeed, here you are!”

“I am not with them anymore.”

“Right. A coincidence.”

“Just leave them alone.” Jessica gritted, the headache becoming increasing unbearable, but she had to stay strong. A peek at the sisters, Yoona was hiding behind Tiffany, clutching the older’s leg fearfully while Tiffany was, as usual, putting on a brave front, though her hands were trembling.

“I would. Jessica, I really want to, but how could I when you decided to go missing on me. You do know that the cops are looking for you too, so what happens if they managed to find you before I do? Or other people found you first? What would happen to me?”

“I told you I don’t have the money, Hyun joong.”

“Jessica.” Hyun joong took a step closer to Jessica, who was starting to feel faint. “I have always treated you like my niece. It wouldn’t be good if I have to force it out of you right?”

“Believe it or not. Just stop bothering her. If I see you harassing them, I would personally hunt you down.”

Hyunjoong took a step back, raising his hands in surrender, a smirk still on his face.

“3 days. That’s all I would give you. You better cough the money out, or I’ll make sure your girls here are in trouble.”

With that, the boys left. Jessica looked towards the sisters and ensured that they were fine before turning around. However, before she took her first step, her vision went hazy and her body met the ground.

---

Round doe eyes met hers when she woke up, relishing in the comfort on her back and the warmth that spread through her body. Still feeling groggy, she pushed her body up, only to be met with a palm against her forehead and pushing her down.

“Unnie says you have to sleep more. You are sick.”

“Yoona?” She coughed.

“Unnie is cooking dinner. She says you have to eat first before taking your medicine.”

“Yoona?”

“Yes unnie?”

“Where am I?”

“At home. Where did you go? Unnie said you have something important to do, like a secret mission. Is that why you have to leave without saying goodbye?”

The younger pouted, her puppy eyes melting Jessica’s heart and increasing her guilt.

“Sorry Yoong. Unnie was busy.”

“Are you done with your work?”

Jessica looked away, searching for an answer when she was saved by a knock on the door. The door opened an inch and a head popped in scanning around the room before opening it bigger.

“Yoong, your dinner is downstairs.”

“Can I eat here with Jessica unnie?”

“No, you can’t. Jessica unnie needs to rest.”

“But I-“

“Yoong.” The firm tone from the older was enough to have the younger pout and obey. Climbing down the chair, Yoona walked towards the door with a dismayed face, but not before promising to return to talk with Jessica.

The door closed, leaving the two older ladies in the room. The silence was awkward, deafening even and Jessica do not know where to start talking, or if the other lady even want to hear her.

“Tiff-“

“Eat.”

The bowl was placed beside the bed as Tiffany reclined in her seat. The hawk-like eyes of the older had Jessica cowering slightly, a rare sight of the latter. Slowly, Jessica picked up the spoon, scooping the porridge and placing it in . Her eyes darted to Tiffany, who simply sat quickly, her eyes staring into space. For once, Jessica did not dare to interrupt her, content with just watching the lady.

“Yoona has been asking for you.”

Jessica looked at Tiffany, seeing the pain, anger and disappointment in the latter’s eyes.

“I told her you were away for work.”

She nodded and coughed, not trusting herself to speak.

“Don’t you think you owe us, me an explanation?”

“Sorry.”

“I don’t need an apology. I just want to know, understand, that’s all.” There was resignation in her voice, tiredness with a trace of concern and worry.

“I-“

“They have been harassing us everyday. The police comes every other day, asking me if you contacted me. Yoona is scared. I’m afraid to let her even go to school.”

“I’m sorry.”

Tiffany sighed, closing her eyes. “Whatever it is, stay.” She stood up, walking towards the door. “At least till you’re better.”

Without waiting for a reply, the door closed shut, leaving Jessica to her thoughts.

---

“Doctor Seo.”

The woman looked up, surprised at the sudden appearance of the intruder.

"It has been a long time, Jessica-sshi."

Jessica slumped down into her usual seat, pale and tired.

"I thought you were not coming back."

"I was going to, but something cropped up."

"Tiffany and Yoona?"

Jessica ignored the question, choosing to place her attention on her fidgeting fingers.

"You do know that you are not that transparent as you thought you are. You put off a cold expression when you are trying to hide your feelings, but you fidget when you are nervous, you clutched the sides of your pants when you are afraid, the sides of your lips twitched when you are happy.”

Seohyun closed her files and focused on the person before her, a warm inviting smile on her face as she waited patiently. The woman would open herself, just at her own pace and feelings, but whatever she was going to say, Seohyun was ready to catch.

She watched as Jessica bit down on her lips and rubbed her nose, a habit of hers when she was thinking.

“Why haven’t you report me to the police?”

“Why would I?”

“Because I am a wanted criminal?” Jessica looked up, her eyes that of a lost and confused child.

“I am a doctor. I don’t disclose my clients’ details.”

“But you are a citizen and I’m just a criminal.”

“So?”

“You don’t have to risk yourself and protect me.”

“I don’t.” Seohyun looked at Jessica carefully. “I don’t, but I want to. It’s also my responsibility as a doctor that my patients’ details or anything they tell me is not disclosed. As I have said in the first meeting, everything you tell me is confidential.” Seohyun paused, smiling warmly.

“But-“

“Why are you back, Jessica-sshi?”

Eyes darted left and right as silence ensued.

“Why are you back here when you can choose to flee town and not return? Given your ability, you could have escaped out of the country even, but why are you still here?”

“Tiffany.” Jessica finally answered. “And Yoona.”

“You came back because of the two of them?”

Jessica nodded hesitantly, unsure of her feelings. The new growing feeling that she had inside her was getting stronger and it was making her feel weak. She was uncomfortable and she disliked it, hated it in fact.

“I… I just thought they might need help? If those b*stards tried to harass them, or if they were harmed. Until I know that they are safe, then I will leave.”

“What were you thinking of those days you weren’t with them?”

Jessica looked up, confused. “What does it have to do with anything?”

“Just wondering?” Seohyun shrugged.

“The food that Tiffany would cook? How Yoona would wake me up every morning? How Tiffany will bicker with Yoona about everything? How Yoona will laugh whenever she watches spongebob? How soft the bed was, how warm the house was?”

“Everything you have spoken is about them.”

Jessica paused, her head tilted to the side as realization began to dawn on her.

“I don’t?”

“You do. You should have seen the shine in your eyes when you speak about Tiffany, and how your lips would curl into a smile when you talk about Yoona.”

“But I can’t be attached to them.”

“It might be gratitude or apology, but whatever it is, stop fighting it. It’s normal for people to have feelings, especially to those who had helped you when you are down. It’s normal.”

“But I can’t. This is weird.”

“It’s not, Jessica-sshi. I may not know everything about you, but I can draw conclusions from what you have told me. You have been by yourself for so long, relying on only yourself to settle everything. You may not be used to others helping you, nor you depending on others, but it takes time. I’m not asking you to be able to fit in perfectly, or open yourself to others right now, but slowly. Don’t fight your feelings, let it grow, talk to Tiffany, tell her how you feel.”

“But-“

“One step at a time, Jessica-sshi. One step at a time.”

---

Body lay tiredly against the backrest, arms crossed around her chest, eyes staring blankly into space, that was how she found Tiffany when she returned home, with Yoona drawing quietly on the table in front of her.

“Yoona.” The youngest looked up, smiling brightly. Jessica almost smile at how cute and innocent the girl was looking, a look that she wanted to protect forever. “Can you go into your room first? Jessica unnie needs to talk with your unnie.”

Nodding, the youngest quickly gathered her things and scampered into her room, leaving the two older ladies with privacy. Slowly, Jessica made her way towards the couch, gently sitting down while rubbing her fingers. Silence hung as the duo stared far ahead, each with their thoughts.

“My parents died when I was young. I ran away from my adoptive parents when I was fourteen and had lived on the streets ever since.” Jessica paused, a faraway look casted in her eyes. “I have relied on myself ever since. This… This, everything, is new to me.” Jessica paused once more, feeling difficult to express herself, but she knew the other lady was listening. “I’m not used to this. To having people care for me. Heck, I’m not even used to caring for people. This is the first. It feels weird, I feel weird like there is something growing inside me. I’m afraid, scared of relying on people, scared of people depending on me. It’s like, I’m needed, wanted in their lives, which who knows, may just disappear the next second. The sense of wanting, and being wanted, I’m not sure if it’s even a good thing.”

Jessica stopped, letting her speech hung in the air. She was not even sure if she should expect a reaction from the other lady.

“I robbed a bank.” She paused, expecting a shocked expression but when she got nothing, she continued. “Someone I know needed money urgently and that was the fastest way. So we planned, robbed and fled, but were quickly picked up by the cops. They chased us down streets and we lost control of our car. The car burst into flames and I out. The next thing I knew, I was here, injured but alive. The guy who harassed you, Park Hyunjoong, had gave us his arms and wanted part of the money. The cops must have heard about it and started to hunt me down too.”

“As for the money, I have no idea where it is. I’m not even sure whether the other guys in the car were still alive. They could have taken the money for all I know, but I can guarantee it’s not with me.”

Jessica sighed, looking up to see Tiffany still staring into space. Seeing that her job was done, Jessica stood up, moving towards the main door.

“That’s my explanation. I will understand if you don’t want me in the house.”

Jessica reached out to the knob and was about to open it when a soft voice interrupted.

“I said you could stay till you are better.” Tiffany paused, turning her head towards Jessica. "Besides, Yoona would miss you." And with a softer voice, "so would I."

Jessica froze at the door, hands clutched tightly at the doorknob as her face broke into a small smile. A warm feeling rising in her as for once, she felt wanted.

-END-

 

A/N: Sorry guys, I just realized I missed out the second part for Ice Cream (previous story). No wonder it seemed like I forgot to post something up. I will post it up soon though. Till next time ~