Breaking out

Life tales

"I will strive to achieve the best that I can. To fight for equality within the community. To promote peace and harmony within the country. To fight for benefits for our people. To help lower-income for a better lifestyle so they need not worry about the increasing prices. To bring prosperity to the country so that people can live a stable lifestyle. I ensure you today that all of these will not just be words. Let the people be the witness for from today onwards, I will become servant to the people, serving our countrymen the best that I can, and I will also be a leader to the people, leading our countrymen to greater heights. So vote for me for the first female president."

---

Applause and cheers surrounded her as she made her way down the podium. This was her, Seo Ju Hyun, or mostly known as Seohyun, the first female politician to contest for in the President Election.

A smirk made onto her face as she caught sight of a fellow contestant who was on a stage with his political party supporting behind him. The stage was grand, with shelter above it and banners hanging around the area and the wooden podium stood in the middle of the stage, decorated with flowers. It was a total opposite of what Seohyun had stood on, a make-shift podium simply made up of boxes with just a loudspeaker in hand. There was not even a place for her to put her speech on, to which she countered by committing them all into memory, thus gaining confidence and speaking her heart-felt words to her supporters. The worse thing was, it had rained during her speech, hence seeing that many of her supporters were without umbrellas or shelter, Seohyun insisted on carrying on her speech without any form of shelter. There, she and her supporters stood, braving the rain like warriors.

~~~

"I see that you are all drenched." Eyebrows arched and a arrogant smirk on his face. "If you didn't have enough money to build a shelter or buy an umbrella, you should have told me, I would gladly rent, or rather allow you to use my stage for your speech." A dig in his pocket, bring out a handkerchief. "Here, I think you should use this."

Ignoring the superficial offer, Seohyun smiled at the man before her, albeit too sweetly. "Thank you for your offer, Daejin sshi. I'm sure you wouldn't want to dirty your handkerchief, besides, I'm fine in the rain." Seohyun smirked as she gestured to the now empty pasture behind them. "It's definitely refreshing to see how many people support me despite the rain whereas most of yours did not even bother coming because of the downpour. Maybe you should take your speech somewhere indoors instead."

Hearing those words brought heat to Daejin's cheeks as he turned red with embarrassment and anger. However, it was not long before a grin made to his face.

"So what if they are gone? As long as they vote for me, it doesn't really matter if they listen or not." An arrogant smile and he leant in closer. "Well, you do know that they will vote for me. After all, who would vote for a female president?" He narrowed his eyes. "Seriously, I don't know why you are even contesting. No female has ever contested for the elections. The public would not accept a female leading them. So why are you contesting? To become famous, to stand out or just to have your name printed in the newspaper beside the headlines, South Korea's first female presidential contestant?"

With that, he walked away with an air of arrogance, his head high up in the air and a grin on his face.

---

Swirling her drink in a hand, her eyes stared out to nothing and her mind filled with thoughts from the fellow contestant. Those sentences, it brought back memories to the young lady as she sat, feet tucked close to her body.

Standing out. She scoffed at her thought. She was not standing out in any way or another. All she wanted was to serve the country, to lead the people. Was she wrong in doing that? Another scoff left her lips. Why did people think that she wanted to stand out from the others? Was it really that necessary to blend in with people, even when she has her own preference and personality?

Seohyun sighed as she took a sip of her drink. Having decided to run for the election, the young lady had no chance of rest. Everyday had been hectic, going door-to-door for meeting the people and getting her name out while preparing for the worst outcome. All her life, she had fought against those whom looked down on her, fought for her dreams and future. She had brought out the warrior in her, took the courage and bravery to stand against all odds to get to where she was, so no, she was not going down without a fight. Besides, what could be worse than having all the other male contestants look down and laugh at her if she was not declared the president? Those were just small play. She had taken in harsher words before.

---

"Juhyun," She looked up tiredly from the pile of documents, pushing back her spectacles as she greeted her secretary with a nod. "Seo Jaebum-nim wants to meet you."

Seohyun went stiff at the sudden request and frowned, staring blankly at her secretary.

"I could tell him you are busy if you do not want to meet him."

"No." Seohyun regained her composure as she closed her documents. "I will meet him."

"Are you sure? I could come up with an excuse for you though." Her secretary looked on worriedly. "You can always meet him after the election."

Seohyun sighed as she closed her eyes, a worn-out expression obvious on her face. "He's not going to live it down anyways if he doesn't meet me today. I shall just hear all he has to say and get him to leave. I will be fine so don't worry, Hyoyeon unnie."

Giving the young presidential candidate a skeptical look, Hyoyeon sighed before nodding her head. "Alright. I'll let him in. But give me a call if he makes you uncomfortable or you want him to leave, I will come in right away. You have my number on speed dial, right?"

Seeing Seohyun nod her head, Hyoyeon left with a worried look, leaving the former to compose herself for the imminent visit.

Seconds later, a rap on the door and it creaked open. It took a moment before a figure strode in, a commanding aura surrounding him. Almost immediately, Seohyun stood up, her shoulder tensed squarely as she gestured to the seat in front of her. An air of silence and tension engulfed the duo as they stared at each other expressionlessly.

He crossed his legs, leaning back into his seat as he observed the lady in front of him. She looked so tensed, so fearful, so doubtful yet eluding confidence that he thought she would never have in her. Seohyun, on the other hand, stared at him with an irked look, wondering how he could be so relax as if he owned the place.

“is there anything I could help you?” Seohyun interlaced her fingers, placing them on the table while donning a polite smile. While she seemed confident, her senses were running overdrive with the tension in her body, ready for any attacks from the old man.

“Can’t I sit with my daughter for a chat? It has been so long since we sat down together.”

“And I believe you know the reason why.” Seohyun scoffed, her defence walls slowly building up around her and her canons fired up.

“Just with my appearance and you are already unsettled and defensive. How are you going to be a president?”

Seohyun scoffed once more, trying not to roll her eyes at the old man. Now that the topic was open, the old man was not going to let any chances go and she was not going to let him burn her to the ground. Definitely not. Taking a deep breath and keeping her fury in check, she stared straight at the man with piercing eyes.

“So what exactly are you here for?”

“Step down from the presidency elections.”

The voice was soft and deep, but Seohyun could detect the seriousness and threatening tone in it.

“What makes you think I would listen to you?”

“What makes you think you would win?”

“What makes you think I would not?”

“There has never been a female president in South Korea, much more as young as you are.”

“So we are playing with gender and age right now?”

“No. I’m telling you this as your father. Step down before you get humiliated when the votes come out.”

“Humiliation? Are you afraid that you will be humiliated if I, your daughter, don’t get elected as a president?” Seohyun could almost laugh out loud at the ridiculous of the statement. Other parents would have been proud if their child had the ability and decided to join the elections. Heck, they would even celebrate it with all their extended families and neighbours, spreading the noble ambition of their child, but no, not hers. Her father would rather she just blend in with the crowd, following what everyone were doing.

“Don’t worry. I will make sure that your name will not be pulled down by me if I am not elected. In fact, I could get my secretary to send out a notice to all reporters stating that Seo Jaebum is not related to Seo Juhyun in any way. Then whatever I do will not be linked to you in anyway.”

“Don’t you know that I am doing this for you? Besides you would have led a comfortable and peaceful life if you had married Daejin before. He may be a partygoer before, but look at him now.” Seo Jaebum looked disappointed, an act that Seohyun had never believed the moment she hit the growing age.

“We all know how he got into politics. And whatever you are doing is it for me or for yourself, only you know the best. Now, if you would excuse me, I am busy.”

Without waiting for a response, Seohyun turned to her side, picking out a file and opening it. Knowing that the conversation was over, Seo Jaebum stood up, giving a hard steeled look at his daughter before turning to his heels.

“Bad things fall upon those who do not listen.”

Without turning back, he strode out of the room, the door closing behind him. The moment his presence was gone, Seohyun let out a sigh she did not know she was holding. Her hands were shaking and her face turning pale. Closing her eyes, she willed her mind to calm down, only to be irritated by how the arrival of the man had affected her. His presence was enough to make her tremble. All those years of honing a steel heart and masked appearance fell into vain the moment he appeared. She clenched her fists tightly, eyes glaring with determination.

---

Staring blankly into space, her mind whirled with all kinds of thoughts, the past, the present, the future. Unconsciously, her teeth clenched and her fingers curled into two tight fists. She could feel her anger rising as she was reminded of how easily her father's presence could easily shaken her composure that morning. It had brought back unwanted memories of her past that she had long buried at the back of her head.

Flashback

A loud resounding slap echoed in the house as her head flung to a side. The part of her cheek burnt, forming a red patch of five fingers printed clearly. Tears threatened to flow, but she refused to show any form of weakness. It was her last form of defense and no way was she going to let him see it. She clenched her teeth tightly, tilting her face upwards to meet her father's eyes and all she saw was anger and fury. Long gone were the care and concern those eyes used to emit. She smirked, catching sight of the shocked faces of her mother and brother.

"If that's what you want, then get out of my house. This is no place for ungrateful and selfish daughter like you."

Each word was growled out, soft yet stern, laced with fury and threat. Seohyun knew, but she refused to bow. Not when she was just this close, just this tiny close to freedom, to a life that she could freely decide, a life that she had always dreamed of. However, the thought of her doting mother and her caring brother, it made her reconsider her options.

A moment of hesitance flickered in her eyes and that was the sign Seo Jaebum needed. She was going to bow at his feet, begging for forgiveness and he would be able to control her in one way of another. Slowly, his lips twitched into a disgusting smirk as he lay out his wonderful masterplan before him. Just a nod from his daughter and he would be able to rule the parliment and just the thought of it was enough to showcase his rare smile.

While Seo Jaebum was making plans, he had failed to notice the disgusted and disappointed face of his only daughter. Seohyun watched her father carefully, having full certainty that he was conjuring all sorts of ways to torture her. She scoffed. She was not about to turn back, not when she could taste freedom just right at her doorstep.

"So Seohyun, have you consider about it?"

"No! Never! You can just forget about me marrying him."

"Juhyun." She could hear her mother's desperate pleas and her brother's silent begging, to which she turned a blind eye. She could not afford to waver, even if it meant she would no longer be part of the family.

"Isn't it what you had always wanted? To help the society?" Her brother finally spoke up, only for her to throw him an irritated, disgusted look.

"Yes. I want to help the people, I want to help them improve their lives, but with my own merit. I am not going to marry some politician to become a puppet wife who does nothing all day."

"Those puppet wives or so you called are the very people who organizes charity balls and donates. They volunteer their time and effort to help the people."

"Those are for the rich. And charity balls? All they do is to dress up and flaunt their wealth. What they even donate is not even one-hundredth of what they own. And volunteer work? All they do at those places were to hang around and wait for the reporters to arrive before poising. Fake. That's what they are and I'm not going to be like that. So you can forget the thought of having me marry to some son of a politician. I will get into politics with my own merit."

"Seohyun..." She turned to her brother, determination oozing from her. "Just listen to dad. Politics isn't a child's play. Heck, it isn't for women either. How many politicians in our country are women? Have you seen the way they were criticised in parliament? Heck, why are they even politicians in the first place? Maybe apart from Lee Hyori, I can assure you that the others are practically vases there, just to hit the 'so-called' numbers of gender equality. But even Lee Hyori was assassinated time and again. So why choose a tough life when you can have a smooth-sailing one? Why do you always want to stand out from the others?"

"Oppa," She could control her tears no more as it cascaded freely down her cheeks. Of all people, she had never thought that it would be her brother to think so lowly of her. "I have never wanted to stand out. I did not want to. All I wanted was to have the same attention that mum and dad would give you. Whatever you do, they would always praise you, encourage you, but me? It was always the same old, 'okay Seohyun. You did well.' That's all. They don't even call me by my name anymore. It was always Seohyun this, Seohyun that, and I hate it. Even when you failed an exam, they would always encourage you, telling you to work harder next time, while I? I always had perfect score but never did they once look at me. Even when I failed, they simply told me to go to my room and reflect. How I wish they would scold or even beat me, but nothing."

Seohyun choked, suddenly frustrated at herself for unable to control her emotions. " Whatever I wanted to do, it was always 'let oppa do it first, let oppa use it first'. I thought it was because that oppa was older than I am, so I'm supposed to let him, but no. I overheard dad saying he didn't like me because I was a girl, and girls are useless." Seohyun gave a bitter and weary smile. "So no matter what I do, I would never be like oppa. I would get the same recognition for my effort. Even till now, the so-called way of becoming the best daughter you would have was to marry the politician's son for you to gain a foothold in the politics. I heard that they have a daughter too, why don't you get oppa to marry her instead?"

Seohyun stopped, embarrassed by her outburst. For the first time, she felt relieved, as though a stone was lifted from her chest.

“Your oppa will not marry a girl like that. She’s not suited with your brother.”

“Then why do I have to? You know that he s with girls every other night.”

“It doesn’t matter, as long as you are his only wife, what he does with other girls will be his business. Besides, he has expressed interest in you and his parents like you too. So that’s where your place is.”

She scoffed, wiping her tears as she started to gain control of herself once more.

“Is that what I’m supposed to do? To just marry him and become a vase in the family while he goes around making merry with others?”

She watched, waiting for her father’s expression. Though she was mentally prepared, but his reaction still shattered her heart.

“Yes. That’s where you are supposed to be.”

She stared with hatred at her father, her teeth clenched tightly and muscles tensed before glancing to her mother, hoping to see a positive reaction. However, to her disappointment, her mother simply closed her eyes, breaking all eye contact from her. She let out a bitter smile, steeling her heart as she let out her breath she did not know she was holding.

“Just so you know, I will never do it. If you want their family on your side, get oppa to marry her then. I will prove to you that I can stand on my own, that my place is not beside that brat.”

Flashback ends

Closing her eyes, she allowed her tears to flow freely, letting her guard crumbled for once. Minutes ticked by as she cried, releasing her bottled up emotions and stress. It was only until a tissue was gently dabbed on her cheeks that she opened her eyes.

“Juhyun, are you okay?”

Quickly and swiftly, Seohyun wiped her face with her hands and mustered a brief smile.

“I’m okay unnie. Don’t worry.”

“You sure?” Before the lady could reply, two strong arms wrapped around her form and pulled her into a tight embrace. “It’s okay to cry sometimes. I promise I won’t laugh or tell the whole world that the president nominee is a crybaby.”

“Unnie…” The younger girl let out a smile, slapping playfully on her unnie’s arm.

“It’s nice to see you smile for once. You have been too stressed.” Hyoyeon gave a pat on Seohyun’s head. “Don’t worry so much about the election, the worse that could happen is you being humiliated if you are not picked.”

“Unnie. That’s not being helpful.”

“Exactly. Which means that your father can’t put you down anymore. What could be worse than the whole Korea laughing at you, right? Besides, you have gained many supporters. I’m sure they will support you all the way. If not, this unnie here will support you.”

“Hyoyeon unnie…” Seohyun tried to choke back her tears.

“So be a good girl and dry your tears. There are still a lot of things you need to take care of.”

Walking down the streets, she shook hands and greeted the residents in the community with a bright smile. Gone were the traces were tears and worries that clouded her face an hour before. To every person, she spoke words of encouragement and sincerity, promises of a better future and thanking their kind support when she was pushed away suddenly as chaos ensued.

The next thing Seohyun knew, she was lying on the floor with Hyoyeon above her, groaning in pain. Eyes widen in shock, oblivious to the scrambling of people around her, blocking her from the public eyes. Flashlights blinked continuously at them as her party scrambled to maintain order. However, all Seohyun could see was the distorted face of her trusted aid and blood soaking her clothes.

“Seohyun sshi, is it true that you were the main target for the stabbing incident two days ago?”

“It is said that there was a mastermind behind the incident. Do you know who it is?”

“Are you going to drop out from the election following this threat?”

“Is it true that the culprit confessed to linking you with the suffering of his poor life?

Seohyun pursed her lips as she waited patiently for her bodyguards to clear the path to her vehicle. Ever since the attempted stabbing days ago, she had been extra careful, bringing with her double the number of bodyguards at her unnie’s insistence. The image of a person had been flashing in her mind and she was undoubtedly sure that he was the one behind the incident, however without evidence, there was little she could do. Besides, she had promised Hyoyeon to concentrate on the elections and let the police do their investigation. If the incident was meant to scare her into dropping the election, it had definitely made her more determined in winning instead.

Clearing , she motioned for the reporters to quieten down. Almost immediately, all movement ceased apart from the microphones sticking at her face. Glancing around the anticipated faces of the reporters, she stared into the camera straight at her, knowing it was the news from the biggest media company in the country.

“I thank all of you for your concern. Apart from a little shock, I am fine now. As for the presidential election, please rest assure that I would continue my campaign as the presidential nominee. This small setback will not hinder my progress to serve the people, instead it had only strengthened my resolve to work for the country. As for the stabbing incident, rather than saying he is the culprit, I would say he is a victim, a victim of our society. He is one of the many people who have fallen through the cracks of our country’s welfare scheme which failed to provide his wife and son immediate medical treatment due to the lack of money. It resulted in the death of his wife and the critical condition of his son. Therefore, my team and I would personally ensure that treatment is given to his son and we will review the welfare scheme and report back with changes to maximize the number of people who would benefit from the scheme. Thank you.”

Seohyun gave a polite smile as she made her way through the path that her bodyguards had opened for her. Right before stepping into the car, she turned to the reporters and flashed a sincere smile, nodding her head as a greeting.

“I have to say, you have done well. Better than I expected.”

To say she was shocked by the sudden deep voice in her room was an understatement. Now that Hyoyeon was not around, there was nobody to inform her of her visitors, resulting to the sudden intrusion of a particular one she hated. Nevertheless, she stick to her cold facade and polite smile.

“Thank you for the compliment.”

“I knew you were strong and smart, but I would have never expected you to turn the tide into your favour. The peoples’ votes are leaning towards you right now.”

“I have learnt from the best.” She looked up, staring unwavering at Seo Jaebum straight in the eye.

“You should have partnered with me. We would have made a stronger team.”

“No, you wouldn’t. In your eyes, there was only your son. Only when it comes to men that you would think of me.”

“No, I did not. I have always treasured you as my daughter. It just happened that you are a girl. If both of you are boys, I would have chosen you over your brother.”

“Exactly. But I would never have agreed to work with you. Our ideas clash and we don’t see eye to eye.”

“You would if I had given you the same attention I had given your brother. Now that I look upon it, why did I choose that good-for-nothing son instead of you?”

Seohyun scoffed. “That’s because we are not your children. To you, we are merely puppets for you to handle, pawns in your game of chess. The only time that you need us is when you needed a soldier to open the path for you, to sacrifice themselves so that the king can move forward. That’s all you need.” Seohyun stood up, her fists clenched by her side as she growled angrily. “You have been selfish. You have been conceited enough to use your own wife, your own children in this game of politics which you should have never been involved. Politics are for people who are sincere in serving the country, to bring greater good to the people, but no, instead you and your team uses it as some business opportunity, squeezing tax and money out of the citizens whenever you can.” Seohyun paused, catching her breath. “But I will let you do it no more. I will make sure if I am elected, the first one I would start investigating is you. So don’t you worry.”

Seohyun gritted her teeth, glaring at her father who simply smirked calmly. For ta moment, she was irritated at how calm her father looked, not at least afraid. It irked her to know that her feet was wobbly and she was longing to sit down to keep her lower body away from sight while he was simply invading her private office, staring at her as though she was invisible.

“We shall see.”

Clutching her fingers nervously, she stared at the television screen, waiting in anticipation for each and every word of the newscaster. The polling had ended and the officials were sorting out the ballot papers. As each vote was counted, Seohyun could feel the nervousness rose in her. Fidgeting in her seat, she waited impatiently for the results to be announced.

Beside her, Hyoyeon looked at her, her lips twitching into a smile. It had been long since the younger had acted like this, for she was always keep her emotions in check. Now that only the two of them was in the room, Seohyun could act herself for once and she was grateful. After this election, no matter what the results were, Seohyun was no longer the quiet, shy yet confident girl she was before, instead she would be the first female presidential seat, a feat that was determined to not be achieved for at least the next decade.

“Busan region-“ The voice boomed from the speakers, jolting the duo in the room as they fixed their gazes on the television. “Park Daejin.”

Almost immediately, she could hear cheers from the room next to her as she casted her eyes down in disappointment. Hyoyeon wrapped an arm around her, smiling as she whispered words of encouragement.

“Incheon region, Seo Juhyun.”

Immediately, Seohyun’s expression brightened as her confidence returned. Tightly, she grabbed Hyoyeon’s hands and squeezed them, returning the smile.

“Daegu region, Park Daejin. Gwangju region, Park Daejin. Daejeon region, Seojuhyun.”

“Ulsan region, Kim Rahee. Gangwon region, Park Daejin. Jeolla region Seo Juhyun.”

As the announcers continued their reports on the ballots, Seohyun could feel her chest tightening as nervousness wrecked through her body. The current votes were a tie between Park Daejin and Seo Juhyun and the last region, Seoul, was to determine which of the two was the upcoming president for the next four years. For once, she was afraid, scared to fail, scared to disappoint. At that very moment, it was not about serving the people of Korea, not about the title of the president, but about her pride and her worth. All her years, she had spent proving herself to one person after another. She had tried to break apart from others and to stand on her own. She had to fight for herself, her rights to survive in the society. Though she had wanted to serve the country, but part of the reason was mainly to prove to her father, prove to herself and the country that what men could do, women could do the same thing if not better.

“Seoul region.” A slight pause from the announcer as they waited for the results to be handed over to them. “It’s a really really close tie, but Seo Juhyun! So we look at the results and we have Park Dajin’s 49.5% to Seo Juhyun’s 50.5%. With that, Seo Juhyun will be our next president for the coming four years.”

Cheers erupted from the two ladies as they jumped up in celebration. Bright, relieved smiles on their faces as they hugged each other tightly. Their hard work had paid off and it was definite that she had finally managed to prove herself to not only her family, but to everyone worldwide.

It took moments before the duo calmed down from their mini excitement as they stared at each other with smiles threatening to erupt from their faces when the door opened abruptly.

“Seohyun sshi, congratulations.” Came a curt and awkward greeting. “I hope that we will work together well.”

“Thank you Daejin sshi. Please take care of me too.”

Seohyun gave a polite bow. Daejin nodded briefly and gave an awkward smile before leaving.

“I’m proud of you, Juhyun. The next few years will be tough but this unnie here will be with you all the way.”

“Thanks, unnie. I will do my best.”

-END-

A/N: Its SMTtaiwan today, so while I'm jamming to the livestream, I'm reading and writing stories. I'm also clearing my lists of half-done stories on my wordpress, so I guess we might expect updates every week or so. don't get your hopes too high up though. I will see you guys next time.