Return

The Second Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bangkok, 2013

 

Onew was one without many enemies. He was kind and helpful to everyone, wherever he met them. It had been that way ever since he was young, and people had always complimented his parents for raising him so well. In fact, the only time he had made an enemy was with that one girl. The one girl he had made an enemy out of was in order to help Jonghyun.

Sitting down in his seat and waiting for the plane to start its movement, Onew was once again trapped in his mind. How, because of that one girl, everything had slowly changed between he and Jonghyun. At first, she was just a bystander in the love Jinki and Jonghyun shared, but soon, after discovering Jonghyun's passion, kindness, confidence... she claimed herself to be in love with the very man Jinki knew.

Jonghyun had known it too, but had chosen to ignore her feelings to become real friends with her. She was a singer, like what Jonghyun had always wanted to be, so Jinki merely stood back and watched them get closer. It became so close, however, that it became enough to break Jinki's heart.

"You can only do so much for him." she had said one day, when realizing how close the two males were, "I'm already where he wants to be. I can take him there if he chooses me."

That had started the tension between Jinki and Jonghyun. In order to forget his feelings for Jonghyun and hope that he could get to the place he wanted to be, Jinki had stayed away from the younger almost completely. He could still see the look in Jonghyun's eyes whenever Jinki ignored his presence and walked away pretending not to notice him at all.

It appeared that the plan backfired after a while, unfortunately, as Jonghyun had brushed off the fact that Jinki didn't like him at all, choosing to chase after the male anyway. It wasn't until that one night. Jinki should have stopped everything from happening on that night, but Jonghyun was the only thing on his mind, and all of his anger, depression, and love to the younger man had to be unleashed in some way.

Onew's eyes fluttered open as the plane finally started moving, moving his gaze so he was watching the ground as it slowly disappeared for the next 6 hours. Instead, he began wondering how his friends would look and how they would be different, and maybe if they will treat Onew differently now that his appearance changed. He was no longer the chubby looking dark-haired male everyone knew. In the past year, Onew had gone to the gym several times a week, and gotten his hair bleached blonde. He was a bit tense as to what his former friends would think, but he was now finally comfortable in his skin.

Most importantly, he wondered how Jonghyun would react to him being there. After all the drama Onew had caused in the past as Jinki, would Jonghyun even bat an eyelash his way?

"Jonghyun-ah" he thought, "Just wait... I'll explain everything to you this time."

 

 

Seoul, 2008

 

Mondays were never Jinki's favorite days. His student government meetings were always drawn out and he would go him in exhaustion, only to stay up for another few hours doing homework and studying for tests that he would have to take letter on in the week or the month. Dragging out a long sigh, Jinki stepped out of his house, slowly walking to where his car was parked.

"Hyung!" a voice called from beyond the gates, and Jinki stared wide eyed at the younger male, leaning back on his motorcycle, waving a hand casually.

"J-Jonghyun-ah." Jinki couldn't help but stutter. He never expected Jonghyun to show up at his house at this early in the morning. Jonghyun was the type to spend all day and night in front of an instrument, plus he lived ten minutes away from the school. Jinki knew because Kibum often complained about how hard it was to walk to school wearing his designer clothes, and Jonghyun quickly reminded him of how they only lived ten minutes away, "What are you doing here?"

"I've come to steal your heart." Jonghyun said it in a joking matter, but Jinki's heart hammered away in his chest. Jonghyun didn't say any more, and Jinki didn't want to make the atmosphere awkward, so he silently climbed behind the younger male, his arms immediately tightening around Jonghyun as if they were meant to be there. Jonghyun never moved in disapproval, even when Jinki leaned his chin on top of the younger's shoulder in order to see the road ahead. It was almost as if Jonghyun had expected Jinki to do just that.

The hour long ride seemed to pass by within a few minutes when the time usually dragged on when Jinki was by himself driving to school. Sadly enough, Jinki had forgotten where they were going until they reached the campus parking lot. Jonghyun always stood out in a crowd and because Jinki was with him, he suddenly stood out as well. Especially as the two males were usually no closer than strangers, seeing them come at the same time and by the same way was enough gossip for a week. Jonghyun was of course used to gossip, being quite popular. Despite being the student government president, however, Jinki didn't socialize enough to have gossip follow him. So when Jonghyun was walking ahead with his head held high, Jinki trailed behind him, fidgeting with his fingers.

The two males had almost reached the school entrance when Taemin ran out, running towards them and latching onto their arms, "Jinki hyung! Jonghyun hyung! What are you two doing together?"

Jinki heard chuckling and turned his head, seeing Kibum walk to them coolly, hands deep in his jeans pockets, "I'll forget that you never give me a ride to school, Jjong. Have you guys heard the news?"

"What news?" Jonghyun had asked, making Jinki furrow his eyebrows in thought as he tried to remember if something special was going to happen.

"We're getting a new student." Minho had walked to them now, his gym bag over his shoulder and a calm grin on his lips, "Jung Jessica."

It was already well known that Jonghyun had a crush on the singer, Jung Jessica. Anyone who knew him knew that simple fact. He had become inspired by her when he was younger. She was around their age, of course, and had decided to take a year off to go to school. As their school was on top with grades and extracurricular activities, it was her first choice.

"She is?" Jonghyun asked in excitement, his eyes twinkling brightly.

"Yeah she is!" Taemin grinned widely, turning to Jinki, "Didn't you know about it, hyung?"

Jinki blinked, shaking his head, "Ani, new students and all of that stuff gets handled by Henry and Hyunseung. They don't tell me unless there's a problem with the student."

His friends nodded in understanding, Minho raising an eyebrow, "Jinki hyung, Sunggyu was looking for you earlier."

Blinking rapidly, Jinki looked around the parking lot. Sunggyu was usually very calm but when he became worried about a situation, he would run to Jinki for help, "Where did he go?"

"He's right behind you." Taemin pointed, and Jinki turned around and held his arms out just before Sunggyu could run into him.

"Jinki-ah!" he said in a panic, several words spilling out of his mouth.

He stood there, trying to decipher what Sunggyu was saying, when Kibum came up and slapped the male on the back of the head, "Please speak with words we can understand."

Sunggyu stopped speaking to take a few deep breaths before speaking again, "The art club can't help with the talent exhibition."

Jinki's heart dropped, disappointment filling him, "What? Th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter