Understatement

The Second Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul, 2013



Onew ended his phone call, a bright smile on his lips as he got back to his work. He had just called his real estate agent in order to see if they found him a decent sized house or apartment near the building, so he wouldn't have to bother his parents daily. Since he needed a place to move in urgently, as Jonghyun had nowhere to live, taking refuge in Kibum's basement, his agent had let him know the transaction wouldn't be cheap but that they could get him somewhere to live. Now, Onew wasn't rich, obviously, since he lived in Bangkok and ran a little record label. However, he did have enough money on him and with his parents to buy a little house just for him and Jonghyun.

He turned his computer on and searched the house online, smiling at its size and shape, and cheering to himself when he saw the pool in the backyard, knowing that Jonghyun liked athletics of all sorts. There were only three bedrooms and two bathrooms, but Onew believed that was all the two of them really needed, extra guests being their other three friends.

So absorbed in his house search, Onew almost didn't hear the door being knocked on, turning his attention to the door in slight surprise. He didn't have to wait, as Jonghyun opened the door and walked in, and Onew hurriedly shut off his monitor's screen. He'd decided to keep the house a surprise for Jonghyun, since the younger didn't seem worried about finding a place to live, crashing at Onew's house during the day and then at Kibum's at night.

"Oh, were you busy hyung?" Jonghyun asked in shock, suddenly curious as to why the elder would shut his screen so quickly when it was just him, a smirk playing on his lips, "Were you watching ?"

Onew scoffed, raising an eyebrow. Both of them knew Onew would never watch because although he wasn't a , his body and mind wasn't desperate for such things.

"Something like that." Onew answered, grinning playfully as he stood up and crossed over to the younger male, wrapping his arms around Jonghyun and letting out a sigh of content, "How was rehearsals?"

"Well, some of the idols won't look at me in the eye." Jonghyun chuckled, and Onew furrowed his eyebrows. He was already aware that the majority of them had been in shock with Jonghyun's public confession, but he didn't want them thinking ill of his lover.

"Does Soo Man know?" Onew asked, his eyes widening slightly.

"He's known for a while." Jonghyun grinned as he pulled back, his fingers running over Onew's tie, "He said it's okay as long as I don't fall behind and you continue working how you're supposed to."

A soft chuckle escaped Onew's lips as he kissed Jonghyun's forehead. He didn't know why, but there was a voice in the back of his mind telling him not to get comfortable, because something bad was on it's way. He must have subconsciously squeezed Jonghyun as if to tell his mind he wouldn't let go, hearing a soft chuckle like his own escape Jonghyun's lips.

"I'm not going anywhere, hyung." Onew's ears perked at the words and he glanced down at Jonghyun with widend and surprised eyes. His heart swelled when he saw Jonghyun's own determined and loving eyes look right back into his. Onew's cell phone beeped, and Onew turned away for a moment to check his message from the real estate agent, saying he wanted to schedule a viewing for the house immediately.

"Actually you are going somewhere." Onew said, grinning widely as he took his jacket in one hand and Jonghyun's hand in the other, dragging the surprised male out of the building.

"Where am I going?" Jonghyun asked, his eyes boring into the back of Onew's head. Onew led him to the parking lot, a grin playing at his lips as they reached the car.

"We are going somewhere together." Onew replied simply, getting into the car, Jonghyun slipping in almost quietly after him.

"Where are we going, then?" Jonghyun corrected himself, shaking his head in amusement.

Onew decided to avoid that question as he grinned, glancing at Jonghyun, "You should move in with me."

The younger male was totally taken aback, leaning toward the window and staring at Onew as if he had grown several heads, "Hyung, what are you talking about?"

"Honestly, Jonghyun-ah, I've had enough of being separated from you." Onew said as he reached his hand out, lacing his fingers with Jonghyuns, pulling the younger male closer to him, "Will you move in with me?"

Jonghyun squeezed Onew's hand, and the elder could feel the younger male blush even without looking at him, "That would be great, hyung, but we don't have a place to live, and we don't have the money to pay for it, even with all the money from my previous albums-"

"That's all I needed to hear." Onew said as he turned away from Jonghyun, who was now pouting as he turned away from Onew.

Onew snickered to himself as he rubbed the back of Jonghyun's hand with his thumb. He missed the cute and pouty side of Jonghyun whenever he couldn't get his way. It made Onew feel like he was living in the clouds to know that they were finally together again and even moving forward ever so slowly. However, there was one thing Onew wasn't sure of, even if they were to live together. Would Jonghyun be willing to spend the rest of their lives together?

"Would you marry me?" Onew asked as casually as he could muster, though he could feel his entire face burning up with the question.

Jonghyun turned his head and squinted his eyes at the elder male, "If you're proposing, no."

"Why not?" Onew asked in surprise, covering up his dejection with laughter.

"Because I'll be the one to propose." Jonghyun answered simply, and Onew's eyes widened as he stopped at a red light, turning to Jonghyun in surprise.

"So you would reject my proposal because you want to be the one to ask?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

Jonghyun looked at him with a straight face, and Onew began squirming in his seat, anticipating the younger male's words.

 

Seoul, 2008


There was a strange feeling of nervousness when he walked into school on Friday. He wasn't sure if he was nervous about performing, or about seeing Jonghyun again after their fight the day before. No, he didn't regret the words he said to the younger male, but he did want to know how Jonghyun reacted to his sudden confession. Jinki stopped by the younger male's locker as he tried to find Jonghyun, the letter he had received the day before tucked neatly in his notebook.

Jinki had decided to keep the invitation and show it to Jonghyun to see what he thought about before making his decision to stay or not. What he didn't expect, however, was that the younger male would brush past him as if he hadn't seen Jinki at all to get to his locker. His shoulders deflating, Jinki muttered an apology before dragging his feet toward where his classroom was.

Suddenly, a hand gripped his own, and Jinki turned back slowly to see Sunggyu behind him with a stoic expression, walking off towards Jinki's first class. Throwing a longing glance back, Jinki's eyes locked onto Jonghyun's own before he was pulled away.

"Why do you keep going back to him?" Sunggyu sighed as he glanced at Jinki, dragging the male along and soothingly running his fingers over the back of Jinki's hand.

"I don't know." Jinki said in a soft voice, blinking his eyes to stop the tears from spewing from his eyes, "Because I love him, maybe?"

Removing his hand and instead wrapping his arm around Jinki's shoulder, Sunggyu nodded, "I know what you mean, Jinki-ah, but I'm tired of seeing you be so upset and crying over him so much. You're my best friend, remember? I can't see my best friend so hurt like this."

Something in his heart made Jinki want to tell Sunggyu not to watch, but he kept silent and allowed himself to be stolen away from Sunggyu's grip by Kibum and Minho, Taemin standing in front of him and holding out a steamed bun.

"Hyung, I got you a bun on my way to school. Please eat it and cheer up." Taemin smiled brightly, bringing the bun so close to Jinki's lips that Jinki couldn't help but take a nibble of it, taking the bun in his hand and bowing his head.

"Thank you, Taemin-ah. I appreciate it." He took the bun fro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter