The Worried Angel { Xiumin x Ranhyun }

K-Galaxy [ 'Oneshots' Collection ]

Written for: IceBloodRose

Song Used: EXO's ANGEL { http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VptypnDDXPY }


 

It was a Saturday morning and the building where Ranhyun works has just opened. Taking all her things along, she carefully stepped into the elevator and pressed '7', the floor where her office is. Patiently waiting to reach the designated floor, she fixed the folders that were piled in her right arm when she suddenly received a text message. She fished her phone out of her pocket and checked the message, wich made her smile widely. 'Please be home early tonight, okay? I love you.' It is a message from her boyfriend, Xiumin. She held her phone closer to her and typed 'okay' as a reply then sent it.

Ranhyun works as a news reporter/writer and everyday is just really hectic for her as there is always many scoops from practically around the country. Xiumin, on the other hand, is a model of a clothing line but the building he is at is a little far from where Ranhyun is. He has been telling her before to quit her job and find a new one because to him, it was really risky and dangerous but she is always opposing saying that it is her passion.

'Ding' The elevator stopped and the doors opened as it reached the 7th floor. She stepped out and proceeded right to her desk which was only few steps away from the elevator. "Good morning!" She happily greeted some officemates and they did too.

Arranging her things, she noticed a sheet of paper taped to her table. 'Research on this' she read. She blew her bangs off her forehead and whispered to herself, "Let's do this~"

Ranhyun has always been like that.. optimistic about things, because she believes that when you are positive about life, things will be easier for you. Turning her computer on, she started researching about the topic that was just given to her. 'Scroll. scroll. click. click.' "Aigoo, I wonder why a lot of crimes have been widespread lately." She sighed as she continued reading the articles that were featured on the page on her screen. 

A short guy with blonder hair leaned agiainst her cubicle while holding a slice of pizza in his left hand. "Well what's new? It has been widespread since a long time ago." He said before before taking a bite on his food.

"Yeah, I agree with Jong Min." Another one said and Ranhyun's brown locks. "Let's just be more careful of ourselves because it's not easy to be sure nowadays." She told her before walking back to her desk.

Ranhyun softly smiled and replied, "Of course I will be careful. I don't want my oppa to worry much about me."

The rest of the morning went on smoothly and it was not tiring at all. Soon noon time came and the rest cheered because it is finally break time but Ranhyun was still working on the report.

"Ranhyunnie, let's go have lunch now. Just continue that work later." Yeon Mi, the lady from ealier, told Ranhyun but she insisted on continuing with the work. "Okay, if you say so.. then we will go ahead." Jong Min responded and left with Yeon Mi and the rest.

 

---oOo---

 

"Okay, let's have 10 more shots before taking a break." The photographer declared as he continued clicking the shutter of the camera. "Please tilt to your right a little." He instructed and Xiumin complied. Few more shots and they were finally done. Xiumin walked to the dressing room and sat down on the chair to have a re-touch. Checking  his phone for any message, he found one from Ranhyun and opened it. "'Okay'?" He read, "Why so short of a reply?" He decided to dial her number and give her a call.

 

"Annyeong oppa~" The sweet voice on the other line greeted him, almost making his heart melt at the moment.

"Aegi-ah, where are you right now? Let's have lunch together."

"Aigoo, mianhae oppa but I'm still here in the office. I'm working on a new report. But don't worry, I promise to be hone early tonight."

"Aww wae?" Xiumin asked and Ranhyun laughed knowing through his voice that he was pouting.

"Because I am currently busy.. and this thing needs to be finished soon. You understand that, right?"

"Arasseo.. I will just wait for you later then. But take care, okay? I love you."

"I love you too, oppa." Then both put their phones down and continued with their work.

 

"Was that Ranhyun?" A co-model of Xiumin's asked as he walked into the dressing room.

"Yeah, I'm just checking if she is okay." Replied the latter.

Xiumin is the type of boyfriend who is caring, thoughful, and protective. He makes sure Ranhyun is always doing well and happy., like a guardian angel making sure that she is safe and ready to protect her whenever she is in danger. Never did he once forget to call her to ask about how she is doing. 2 hours after lunch break, Xiumin went back to work at ease because he already confirmed that his girl friend is doing fine.

 

---oOo---

 

Evening came and everyone was really busy finishing their respective works, wanting to meet the deadline. Ranhyun was no different as she busied herself typing the remaining reports. Good thing the show she is hosting was not scheduled to have a live broadcast. Few more hours later and Ranhayun had successfully finished the report, even earlier than the deadline set. She immediately saved the file before printing it, and gathered her things, ready to leave.

"Oh, you're done now?" One asked and another one commented, "Whoa, how do you manage to do things quickly?" Ranhyun replied with a little laugh, "I guess I just really hurried things up because I want to go hom as soon as possible."

"Going home?" Jong Min shot up from his seat and turned to her. "But the lady boss said she will hold a party later and we are invited. Did she not tell you about it?"

"Really? How come I did not know yet? Alright then, maybe I can stay for the first few minutes." She smiled and excused herself to pass the report to their head.

Returning to her desk some minutes later, she was about to get her cellphone to send a message to Xiumin when her colleagues pulled her away saying that the party has just started. She tried to tell them that she will just follow but they insisted that they go together thus leaving her cellphone behind.

 

---oOo---

 

It was their lady boss' birthday that's why she called for a celebration. Everyone was busy enjoying themselves in the function room of the bulding... singing, dancing, and eating. The party started at around 8:00 and now that it is already 11:00, they still were not done. Ranhyun herself was really enjoying that she forgot about her promise ealier. When she remembered, she immediately searched for her phone but realized that she left it on her desk so she asked around from some of her officemates.

"Omona! Ya, Yeon Mi, do you have your phone with you? May I borrow?"

"I'm so sorry but it ran out of battery. How about try asking Jong Min?"

"Jong Min-ah~" Ranhyun walked to Jong Min who was still busy eating some chips and other snacks. "Can I borrow your phone? I need to call Xiumin oppa.. he must be worrying about me already. I totally forgot to inform him that I will be late and I left my phone at my desk."

"Aigoo.. but I did not bring a phone today, I'm sorry."

"Let's just go get your phone then." Yeon Mi suggested. "I don't think someone has come and snatched it anyway. But let Jong Min go with you." She grinned as she took a seat again.

"Why me?" Jong Min protested for a moment. "But okay.. let me just finish eating. Ranhyun-ah, let's go together."

 

---oOo---

 

'The number you have dialed is busy at the moment. Please try again later.' 

"Ya, you have been chatting with the telephone operator since earlier but she is not saying anything other than the same lines." Hyun Ki laughed at his friend and Xiumin shot him a glare. "Calm down hyung, I am just trying to lighten the mood up." He defended.

"This is not funny. It has been like this since hours ago." Xiumin stood up from the couch and looked at the clock, "I thought she would just have an overtime and forgot to tell me but it is already late. What kind of person will have work at this hour?" He paced back and forth while biting his nail, a habit of his that he unconsciously does whenever he is in panic about something. Then taking his phone out again, he tried to call Yeon Mi but unfortunately, only the operator will reply saying that it is out of reach. "Ani, this won't do. I have to go her workplace. Hyun, make sure to lock all doors, okay?" Without saying another word, Xiumin grabbed his jacket and dashed off.

 

---oOo---

 

"Please, I really need to call oppa now. Or better yet, can you please send me home? It is late and I do not want to be alone."

"Hmm okay okay.." Jong Min nodded as he swallowed the last piece of cupcake on the plate before standing up.

"Still need me to go with you?" Yeon Mi asked and Ranhyuan said it is okay if she doe not.

"Alright, see you tomorrow then." Jong Min smiled and tapped Yeon Mi's arm before he and Ranhyun walked to the elevator to go back to the 7th floor and get her remaining things.

As soon as they stepped in, Ranhyun quickly closed the doors and pressed '7'. It was not long unitl they arrived there. Heading straight to her desk, she grabbed her phone and she was shocked to see 20 missed calls and 10 messages registered on her phone, all coming from Xiumin.

"Omo! I should call him back.. He must have been so worried." Ranhyun speed-dialed his number but only a 'busy' tone answered her. "He's not responding. I know this is my fault. I should have really gone home earlier as soon as I finished the report." She gathered the rest of her things and walked back to the elevator, with Jong Min following behind her.

 

---oOo---

 

Arriving at the building she works at, Xiumin hastily parked his car right at the front of the main doors and quickly got out. Luckily, there was still a guard on duty so he approached him to ask. "Excuse me, are there still people left in the building?"

"What I know is a party is currently happening so I suppose there are still some people." The guard replied. Xiumin asked if he could go inside and the guard allowed him so without wasting another minute, he rushed in and to the elevator. He was about to ride as the elevator on the right side opened the doors but just at the same time, the elevator on the other side opened as well, revealing Ranhyun and Jong Min.

"Oppa?" She suddenly blurted when she saw Xiumin's back figure causing him to turn around, surprised. "Oppa~" She dropped the folders she was holding to Jong Min's arms and rushed out to embrace Xiumin. He embraced her back tightly feeling relieved that she was safe.

Xiumin broke the hug after a little while and held her shoulders. "W-where have you been? I'm glad nothing bad happened to you. Do you know how worried I was? You didn't even call --"

"Oppa, calm down~" Ranhyun softly smiled, cutting his words. "I am so so so sorry I have not been able to inform you that I will be late. Our boss held a party and I did not know until I finished my shift. I was going to call you earlier but Yeon Mi and the rest alraedy pulled me to the venue so I left my cellphone on my desk. I was probably having so much fun that I actually forgot that I have not told you about it. I'm sorry for worrying you." She caressed his cheek lightly.

"I have been calling you since hours ago. Why did you not borrow from your friends? From Yeon Mi? I was so worried. What if something happened to you? I am sure you know all the news about those crimes happening everywhere, right? Every day I am just so worried that something might happen to you, and especially that you are in this field.. you are not that safe." He hugged her again shortly before noticing Jong Min who was at the side, watching the two of them. "And.. who's he?" He asked in a serious tone.

Ranhyun could not help but smile widely while listening to him. Surely, his protective side.. or sometimes overprotective side.. has never left him through the years. "Easy, oppa.. he is Jong Min, one of the best colleagues here and also.. Yeon Mi's admirer." She whispered the last part and chuckled softly. "I asked if he could send me home because I am sure you are alerady worrying about me. I am glad I saw you here." Xiumin turned to face Jong Min and thanked him while shaking his right hand then turned to Ranhyun again. "Why don't you just look for another work instead?"

"Oppa~" Ranhyun raised her voice a little. "You know the answer.. I like what I am doing. Don't worry, I won't be in danger. I promise to take care of myself."

"Alright then.. let us just make a deal. From now on, I will send and pick you up from work everday. How does that sound?" He asked as he squeezed her hands lightly.

"Aigoo, you need not worry about me. I promise I will take good care of myself and stay safe."

"No, I do not want to accept any argument. Just let this handsome guardian angle protect you, okay?"

"Handsome? More like chubby!" Ranhyun laughed and pinched Xiumin's cheeks lightly.

"Hmm okay then, chubby and handsome guardian angel."

"Ya.." She hit his arm lightly and he embraced her tightly once again.

"But seriously.. I just want you to know that even if my life will be put to danger, I will still choose to protect you." He smiled softly against her hair. "Don't make me worried like that again, okay?

"Ne oppa, I promise. I love you~"

"I love you too."

Then they went home together and Xiumin cooked something good and special for both of them even if it is already past midnight because he was sure that Ranhyun has not eaten a proper dinner yet.