Cookies of Hope { Hyunseung x Na Ri }

K-Galaxy [ 'Oneshots' Collection ]

Inspiration in writing this: B2ST's OASIS { http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK5P8C5Uwqw


 

Na Ri arrived at the shop early, and since she had a duplicate key, she opened it so she can get in and start preparing the place for the future customers later on. Unlocking the door, she slowly walked inside and went straight to the locker room to put her things there and change. After changing, she walked to the counter to check everything is okay then proceeded to putting the chairs down from the table. As she was cleaning some tables, someone came in and a voice greeted her happily. "Good morning, my dearest friend~ You are early again today~" It was her friend, Joo. "Oh, you surprised me.." She replied with a little laugh. "But I am early most of the time. You are the one who is surprisingly early today."

"Well your brother gave the key to me and asked me to come early because you might not be able to get inside."

"I see. But I have a duplicate key." Na Ri smiled and continued wiping the tables.

"Let me help you there." Joo grabbed another cloth and helped her friend clean.

Both helped each other in cleaning around while talking and fooling around and soon they were able to finish just in time they had to open the shop. Since Na Ri's brother, the real owner, will not be around for a couple of months, only Na Ri and Joo will be taking charge of the place. They have talked before about hiring more people to help them maximize time but Na Ri's brother said that the three of them will do for now because the shop is not really that big and popular yet.

Na Ri stood behind the counter and said that she will be the cashier for the day while Joo stood by the door and welcomed incoming customers. The first one to visit was a middle-aged woman who was with her daughter and they sat somewhere near the counter. The daughter pointed to differently colored and shaped cookies, telling her mother to buy it and Na Ri could not help but smile at her cuteness when she pouted afer her mother told her that too much sweet will not be good for the health.

Next who came in were lovers who seem to be having a quarrel.The girl walked ahead of the guy and the guy tried grabbing her arm but she avoided. Joo tried to greet them but they did not acknowledge so she just kept quiet. Na Ri heard them arguing by the counter with the girl saying that she will only forgive the guy if he buys a lot of cookies and pastries for her.. and that is what he did. So they ordered cookies for take out.

Then there was a man wearing a gray 3/4 shirt paired with black jeans and white rubber shoes who was walking along the aisle where the shop is. He had earphones plugged in his ears and he kept sighing as he walked, taking little steps to no particular place when suddenly, he stopped to check his phone and realized that it ran out of battery. Heaving another sigh, he shoved it back to his pocket and was about to continue walking when he saw the notice on the shop's door. 'Hiring! 1 additional staff.' Looking at it for some more minutes, he considered well if he should give it a try or not. Joo noticed the man and opened the door for him. "Yes sir, what can I do for you?" She asked. The man, without any expression written on his face, immediately walked in and inquired about the post he saw on the door. Joo nodded and guided him to an empty table to have a little interview and after they were done, he was told to come back the next day and bring some requirements needed so they can decided if he will be accepted or not.

The next day, he came back bringing with him some papers neatly arranged in a folder. When he arrived at the shop, Na Ri was already there so she welcomed him in and asked if he was the applicant who was asked to come back and he nodded. Na Ri smiled and took the files from him to take a look. After reviewing the papers thoroughly, Na Ri congratulated him and shook his hand. "You are now hired. You can be our cashier. You know the operations, right?" She was still smiling at him and he just nodded his head.  Na Ri suddenly remembered what Joo told her yesterday when they talked after the man left the shop.. 'He is cold and weird in some way.' She stood up and began orienting him about the place, as well as the different works inside the shop. After quite some time, he finally got accustomed with everything. Just in time, Joo already arrived and they opened the shop. "Congratulations again, Mr. Jang.. and welcome to the team." She greeted once again before getting to her position.

Luckily there were not much people and work to be done. Both Na Ri and Joo have managed to tend to the customers in their needs. After Na Ri had served the cup of coffee and some donuts to a lady, Joo approached her and tapped her arm, "So, what do you say? He is cold, right?" She was talking about Hyunseung, their new cashier. "Well, we were talking earlier and he never smiled. Even when I congratulated him for getting accepted, it did not seem like he was happy about it." Na Ri replied and shrugged a bit. "Maybe he is just in a bad mood today.." She added. The two continued observing Hyuseung for the rest of the day and noticed his expression did not really change.

The following day, the same thing happened. While Na Ri and Joo were working around, they noticed how Hyunseung does not show any expression of happiness and he always looked so down and burdened. So being concerned about this, Na Ri finally decided to approach him and talk to him after serving some customers.

"Uhm.. excuse me. I hope you do not mind but.. we noticed that your mood does not seem good since the first time you came here. May I know if things are okay?" She slowly and calmly asked as they took a seat by the door.

Hyunseung sighed before speaking, "The truth? I actually feel like nothing is okay in my life anymore. My father had lost his job about a month ago. I told him to look for a new one but he keeps on drinking with his drunkard friends instead. My mother, on the other hand, left us after that happened.. she probably got tired of all of us already. I was supposed to go to college already but did not because my two younger siblings still have to continue studying but where do we get money? That is the main problem.. that is the reason why I am always out in the streets.. because I am looking for something that can help us.. and I am glad I landed here in this cookie shop." Na Ri was just intently listening to him while eating some of the cookies she has just baked earlier that day. Hyunseung took another deep breath as he looked at her. "I guess I shared too much. Mianhae." Then he laughed a little. For the first time, he laughed and Na Ri was really happy about it. "You.. just laughed! Wow.. that is a change of expression.. finally. Well, when the first time we talked, you did not have any expression in you but now, there is a little improvement." Na Ri laughed as well before shoving another cookie in . "Oh.. you want?" She offered and he accepted.

"You know what? You should not lose hope. As long as you live, there is still chance for good things to happen. If at first things do not go your way, do not give up. Eventually, you will see something far better in the end. Worry not, we are here to help you.. Joo and me. We are your friends now." She smiled at him and tapped the back of his hand lightly and he brightened up a little.

The next days and weeks have been different because Hyunseung is finally able to smile and be cheerful, with the help of Na Ri. If they have enough time before or after store hours, Na Ri would sometimes make cookies and let Hyunseung watch her and even help. She also told him that he can teach his younger siblings how to make one so that they can sell it in their school as well.

One day, Hyunseung went to work early with a wide smile on his lips. He immediately walked inside the shop and looked for Na Ri. After putting his bag in the locker, he walked to he counter and saw Joo there. "Did Na Ri come already?" He asked him, seeming excited and it got Joo surprised but happy at the same time. It is like he already was able to cheer up after a short time. Minutes later, Na Ri arrived and the moment Hyunseung saw her by the door, he rushed to her and embraced her tightly. "I am happy you are here now! I have a great news."

"O-omo." Na Ri hugged back and patted her friend's back. "You surprised me." She chuckled. "What is it that you are going to say?" They both sat on the empty chairs and they also called Joo along so she will know.

"I can not believe it either..." Hyunseung was still smiling widely. "But when I headed home yesterday, I saw my mother there and she was preparing dinner. Na Ri.." He held onto Na Ri's shoulders. "My mom came back! She is back for good! I am really happy."

"Really? Wow! Then that is really a good news. We are happy for you." Na Ri smiled and shook Hyunseung's hand.

"And my dad.. I thought I might be dreaming but he told me that he was starting to look for a job again. He told me that he was inspried by my ways.. and the way I recently see and think about things. All this.. I owe it to you. Thank you. And because of this, I will strive harder and do my best." He embraced Na Ri again and Joo cleared to make them realize that she was still there and Hyunseung and Na Ri just laughed.

"Ne, I am thankful that things are starting to go well in your family now. Just continue to believe in the good things and do not lose hope."

The three of them went back to business after opening the shop and welcomed the busy day in the shop when many customers came.

A week later, Na Ri's birthday came. Hyunseung and Joo wanted to surprise her so they told her to come to the shop a bit late. It was mainly Hyunseung's idea and he asked help from Joo to make cake and cookies for Na Ri. They also decorated the whole shop with cute balloons and ribbons, and even created a 'happy birthday' banner for her. Lastly, they dragged a table to the center and placed the cake on top of it, surrounded by the cookies they baked. After setting everything, Joo called the clueless Na Ri and told her she can already come.

Having no idea at all, Na Ri went to the shop right away and when she opened the door, all the lights and she was greeted by both of her friends.

"Happy Birthday, Na Ri!"

Then taking the box of cookies he personally made for her, Hyunseung approached her and said, "Happy Birthday.. and thank you for everything you have done for me. If not for you, maybe I did not have a new hope in my life every again." Then he offered the box of cookies to her and smiled. "Do you want some? I baked it for you."

Na Ri can not help but smile widely at their thoughtfulness. "It was mainly Hyunseung's idea so if you want to thank someone then thank him." Joo said. She took the box of cookies from Hyunseung and thanked him but Hyunseung said,  "No, thank you.. because you made me realize a lot of things. I am so happy I became your friend and I am hoping we can be better friends in the future."

"And I hope for that too.." Na Ri smiled.

"So that is your birthday wish?"

"Yes.." Then she walked to the table and blew the candles on the cookies and the cake one by one.

"Thank you.." Na Ri whispered to Hyunseung.

"You are most welcome, my angel.." And he kissed her left cheek.