Until now, this heart still longs for you { Chansung x So Min }

K-Galaxy [ 'Oneshots' Collection ]

Inspiration in writing this: 2PM's HEARTBEAT { http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b_1cEeRC1A }


 

Flashback { Chansung's POV }:

"I promise I won't go far from you and that we'll always be together. Promise me that too, okay?" 10-year old So Min told me as we locked our pinkie fingers together. "Ne, I promise." I smiled at her and she smiled back.

So Min and I were the best of childhoon friends, almost like siblings. Both our parents were classmates in college and so they've agreed to put us in the same school as well. Years have gone by well and it is almost perfect as we didn't experience any serious problem other than have little arguments over little things. We made a promise not to part ways but one day, I did not expect that promise would be broken when I suddenly received a phone call from her, her voice cracking on the other line as she spoke.

"Oppa, I-I'm afraid we would not be s-seeing each other a--ny--more in the f-future." Then I heard few hiccups and more sobs from her. "Hey, calm down.. what do you mean we won't see each other in the future?" I already had a feeling that I know what she meant but I didn't want to think about it. So Min is like the only closest friend I have around and parting with her would never be a good idea. Then she continued speaking, but the next words I heard were the ones I dreaded to hear. "I'm moving away from here, away from Korea, away from you.. I overheard my parents talking a while ago and they said they plan to transfer me to another school in another country. They said they found a better school there so we're moving there as soon as possible." I couldn't respond right away as I was still trying to process what she had just said. As soon as I had gained my strength back, I asked her. "Where are you right now? Are you at home? I'll go there." But the only answer I got was, "We're leaving right now." And she hiccupped once more before putting the phone down.

"Yah.. yah So Min-ah.. Shin So Min!" I shouted but was greeted by 'busy' dial tone. I quickly stood up and ran to the door, grabbing my shoes. I didn't think I have this little time to catch up and a big chance of losing her. I might never see her again so I rushed to their house as soon as I can but when I arrived, no one was there anymore. 

I looked around and saw the house owner next to theirs and asked about them but the only thing she told me was that they've gone to the airport and they're set to leave for another country today. Without thinking twice, I hurriedly hailed a cab and rode to the airport.

The ride was taking too long and I was feeling slightly irritated already. I still tried to contact So Min every now and then but she would not pick up. The operator only says it's either out of reach or there's no signal in the place the person is.

"Mianhae ahjussi but could you please go a little faster?" I told the cab driver but he said he couldn't or he'll be caught for overspeeding so I didn't have a choice but to be patient about the whole situation.

After 30 minutes, I finally arrived at the airport. I even almost forgot to pay due to hurrying. I quickly rushed to the entrance gates and attempted to go in but the guards blocked my way and asked for a ticket. When I wasn't able to present any, they didn't let me in. Even though I already begged them and told them it was something really urgent and important, they weren't convinced.

I was already feeling really hopeless at that moment. I didn't even know where their destination is, or what time their flight is. I simply no nothing. "So Min-ah, how could you do this to me? You promised.. but what happened?" I sighed as I held my phone near my head as I was leaning against the wall. Since then, I never got the chance to see her or be in contact with her again.

-end of flashback and POV-

 

 

Chansung was just there, sitting on his chair and looking outside the window. He was still reminiscing those times in the past even until now.  His mother has just set up another date for him in hopes that he would forget about So Min who was gone for almost 9 years now. And this time, the 'date' was booked on a hotel. But he didn't care.. he never did. He did not care if it was his mother speaking most of the time. His mother, on the other hand, was obviously having so much fun talking with the lady's parents about stuff relating to business and latest fahion trends.

The lady, who was feeling bored, decided to talk to Chansung once again, hoping he'd pay attention to her. "Oppa, I'm bored. Shall we go out? Our moms are talking about something different anyway." She smiled and placed her hand over Chansung's but he simply slid his hand off hers and said, "Listen here Sunji.. I have two things to say. First, I don't want to hang out with you and second, don't call me 'oppa', I don't want to hear it." He migh have sounded a little harsh but he was only expressing his thoughts.

"But you're older than me~ it's only right I call you that." Sunji insisted but Chansung only gave her a serious look.

"Only one person can call me that." He whispered to himself before turning back to Sunji. "Just no. That's final. You know if you want to have fun, then go find someone else to be with. I'm not interested." He suddenly stood up to walk out and Sunji followed him. His mother, thinking the two would just want to spend more time together alone, didn't mind much and just continued with her own business.

 

---oOo---

 

Meanwhile, on another part of the hotel, guests who were in formal attire started to arrive in pairs. They were led to the big function hall by an usherette. Sweet mellow music has been playing in the background and it helped lift the atmosphere there.

Not long later, a lady in her mid-20's came in and she was alone. Her light brown hair was tied up making her facial features easily seen. Her long eyelashes made her chinky eyes even prettier and the light lipstick she wore also made her lips look perfect. She was wearing a red tube gown that was half-filled with studs.

 

The usherette, upon seeing her, bowed her head slightly to show respect and followed her as she walked straight inside the hall. From the looks of it, anyone will be able to tell that she is the host of the event. She slowly approached the guests table by table, asked them how they were and told them to wait a bit more for the other person who's about to arrive.

 

---oOo---

 

"Oppa, where are you going? Wait for me." Sunji said as she followed Chansung down the ramp.

"I told you to stop calling me that."

"Then what should I call you with?"

"Maybe you should consider not talking to me again."

"Well aren't you a litte mean?"

Chansung stopped in his tracks the turned to her. "Okay, I'll try to say it nicer. Can you please try to understand that I'm not interested in any of this? And don't call me 'oppa' again.." Then he paused before continuing, "because only one person can call me that."

"Can you.. still not move on?" Sunji cautiously asked him.

Chansung shook his head saying, "I can't.. and I don't plan to." and then he walked away from her. His mind was filled with thoughts that he did not notice that lady in red who was standing by the door of function room he had passed by.

That lady.. who could she be?

 

---oOo---

 

"What's his name again?" Ah ahjumma asked the lady and she replied with a smile, "Song Jin Woo."

"Aigoo" another one cooed, "Time flies fast, doesn't it? And we didn't expect you to come back to Korea after so many years for your engagement."

She shyly smiled and said, "I didn't expect it either." She was still having a good chat with some guests when her mother suddenly called her so she excused herself and went to her mom.

"Did Jin Woo call you? He said he'll be a little late."

"Really? Well he didn't inform me but sure, let's wait for him."

The lady decided to take a stroll outside the hall while waiting for Jin Woo to come. Wanting to spend some time alone, she walked to one of the hotel's huge verandas.

 

---oOo---

 

Chansung's POV:

"Can you.. still not move on?" Sunji asked me that question a while ago and yes, I need not answer her with words to confirm it. Leaving her standing on the hallway alone, I went to the veranda that was just nearby. It has a wide space that was situated at the back of the hotel, just above where the pool is. I walked farther ahead and placed my arms on the railing as I reached the edge. I looked at the beautiful scenery before my eyes, still not able to get So Min off my mind.

I stayed there a little longer, and after some minutes, I decided to return to where my mom is and tell her I wanted to go home already. Suddenly, I felt someone approach me then a female voice spoke, "Excuse me~" and asked for the time. I presume she wasn't wearing any wrist watch now because if she did, then why would she ask the time from someone else? Unless the person purposely did that just to initiate a converstaion and make acquaintances.

"Oh, it's 1:30 in the afternoon.." I said after looking at my watch then turned to her. But the moment I did, surprise struck me. I couldn't believe I'm seeing this person again right in front of me! Those eyes.. those lips.. her small pretty face.. even if she had make-up on, I could still recognize her.. even after all the many years that have passed.

"Y-you?" That was all that came out from my lips after we stared at each other there for some more minutes. I was going to open my mouth, ready to say another sentence when I heard a female voice call her which made her turn around.

"So Min-ah~"

I repeated her name and she looked at me again. But seeing the look in her eyes, it's as if she didn't know me at all. Or was she just pretending?

"He's here. The program is about to start now. Let's go back." The woman, her mother, told her.

She slightly bowed to me and thanked me for telling her the time before leaving. I shouted her name again hoping she would stop but she kept on going so I decided to just follow her.

She was walking a bit faster as her mom told her to hurry up. I saw her turn to her right after taking a few steps and I still followed her. I stopped for a while when I saw her enter a big function room. That hall... seems familiar. I already passed that hall earlier when I walked away from Sunji. Not wanting to lose sight of her, I rushed to the big doors only to be stopped by the two guards that were there. They already closed the doors as soon as So Min and her mom went inside. They asked for an invitation card but when I couldn't present any, they didn't allow me in.

I even tried begging them to let me in and told them I have something important to say to the party's host but they said it's a close and private event and that I could really not be allowed if I do not present an invitation card. This scene is familiar to me... really familiar. It's just like that time at the airport when they did not let me in so I was not able to prevent So Min from leaving.

I was left with no choice but to stay there outside. I asked one of the guards what the event is and he pointed to the post on the door. I looked to where he was pointing and I couldn't believe what I saw.

 

Song Jin Woo & Shin So Min's Engagement Party
19th September, 2013 | 1:30 PM | Formal Attire
Present Invitation Card upon arrival

 

What?! I kept reading the post as I told myself that no, this could not be. Maybe it's just another person with the same name as hers.. that maybe she was only there to attend the said event. I have so many questions in my mind right now and I definitely need answers so I waited there, not caring what time the party will end.. not caring if my mother was already looking for me.

-end of POV-

 

---oOo---

 

So Min's POV:

Loud applause and cheers filled the hall as they congratulated us after Jin Woo had made his public proposal which I accepted. Jin Woo was really happy at the moment and so was I... but I could not help but think of the encounter I had earlier. Was that really Chansung oppa? The best friend whom I left years ago without a proper goodbye? I wonder what he's doing here. 

I suddenly felt a pang of guilt as I glanced at the door. I could have talked to him earlier and explained things but why didn't I? Probably because I'll be running late for this occasion if I did, right? Then I've thought of it.. I'll go talk to him later after the party. I will try my best to look for him around so I could apologize for leaving him before.

-end of POV-

 

It was already 4 in the afternoon but the party still has not ended. Chansung was starting to feel tired and he has even thought about giving up but because he really wanted to talk to her and clarify some things, he extended his patience and waited a bit more.

Soon the doors opened and out slowly came the guests with all smiles on their faces. Chansung's hopes went up and he immediately looked around for So Min. And there he saw her.. talking and laughing with her mother, Jin woo, and two more people he assumed to be Jin Woo's parents.

Not wanting to be obvious, he approached her and called her with something more formal. "Excuse me, Miss Shin. If you don't mind.. can I speak with you for a moment?" So Min's mother, who was just beside her, can still clealy recognize Chansung and was surprised to see him there but did not say a word. Instead, she just smiled and nodded to So Min before guiding Jin Woo and his parents somewhere else.

"It's been a long time. How have you been?" Chansung casually asked as soon as they were the only ones left there, pretending not to be hurt at all.

"Yeah, it has been a really long time. I did not expect I would see again." So Min replied wih a soft smile. Feeling a bit of tension and awkwardness building up around the place, she suddenly blurted, "I'm sorry."

"Sorry?" Chansung faked a smile. "What are you sorry for? Sorry for leaving me with nothing before? Do you know how I felt that time? I did not know anything. You did not even call me or send me a mail right after you left Korea. I wanted an explanation so badly. Even just a short explanation would do. I needed to understand why you left and such." So Min just listened to him as he let all his thoughts out. And he continued, "And do you know another reason why it hurt me? It's because that time, I was already planning to confess to you. Yes, you are my first love. I planned on confessing to you but everything was ruined when I learned you were leaving.. and I never got the chance to tell you how I felt.. and still feel.."

"But, it's been so long. So.. you're saying all these years you have never been in a relationship?" So Min asked, shocked about the sudden revelation.

"I have.. I tried.. but none of them worked because I still could not get over you. The reason why I am here right now is because my mother had arranged another date for me.. but where am I now? I walked away from them because I was not interested."

"Oppa.. I-I did not know~"

"What happened to the promise?"

"The promise.. I don't know. Changes are inevitable, right? Are you telling me that you're still holding onto that promise until now? Oppa, it has been broken years ago. A lot has changed --"

"And the reason why you left was?" Chansung cut her off.

"My parents found a better school so they sent me there. There was nothing more to that.. and Jin Woo, I met him after I graduated. It was nowhere near a plan to meet him."

"I have been waiting for you all this time.." Chansung whispered as he sighed.

"I did not know.. I really didn't.."

"Now you do.. but it's too late, right? I'm already too late. You have just been engaged while I am here, still hoping you will come back. I know it's pathetic."

"It's never too late, oppa." So Min smiled as she held Chansung's left hand. "It's never too late to move on. You can go and find your own happiness too."

"No, I'll wait for you. That's possible, right? Just in case he suddenly abandons you. I'll be here... I'll be here for you."

Somin shook her head and said, "If you really love me, you will wish for my happiness, right?" Chansung only looked at her as he could not find words to say.

Seconds later, So Min's mother came back and called her. "So Min-ah, we need to go now."

She turned to her mother and replied, "Ne, I'll follow in a bit." Then turning back and smiling at him for the last time, she held her pinkie finger up. "Please promise me you'll move on.. that you will find your own happiness. Do this for me, your best friend.. you first love."

She thought she had finally convinced him when suddenly, he refused to accept the condition.

"No, I can't promise.. because I still love you.. and there's only you for me."

Then he walked away, leaving her there still standing.

"Even if you no longer consider me as a big part of your life, I will still be here for you. I will remain here.. and I will continue to hope that we will have a chance to be happy together someday."

He whispered to himself as he continued to walk away.